Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
GoldenEye 007 / Re: Post Obscure Happenings here
« Last post by Your Eliteness on Today at 06:59:02 PM »
Certainly poor coverage of the area by the network isn't helping but I'm still surprised that they freeze.

Why are you surprised? The guard is at your closest node and has no line of sight to you. While it's technically possible for Rare to make the game calculate a path for the guard to take which would give him line of sight, this would be computationally expensive and they are better off placing the nodes in a way that there are no blind spots. But in this case there is a blind spot, so the guard just waits until line of sight happens.

Here's the relevant code: https://ryandwyer.gitlab.io/gepd-function-explorer/ge-global-0008.html. It returns to whatever the previous function was, which is probably 0002.

This is certainly how I've seen guards behave when they are unloaded, but when guards are loaded it seems more complicated. Every so often (possibly when their script is executed) they seem to reconsider what route they'll take, and often take shortcuts towards other network nodes, perhaps seeing that there are no objects in the way. This seems pretty reasonable (and leads to the second video), but sometimes they really seem to hug the environment geometry really tightly, more so than the actual network graph does.

Then they also do all sorts of crap like not remotely taking the shortest route (even in terms of the network graph), or going backwards and forwards as they repeatedly change their mind while Bond is stationary. Good examples on S1 can be found by luring Kevin over the right side of the empty hut. Sometimes he'll go right around hugging the tree line, despite the network offering an almost as-the-crow-flies route.

The point of my message isn't about which path they take to get to your closest node, but rather what they do once they're there.

They aren't even that close to it? Maybe it knows it's a big map?

They are fairly close to it. The criteria for being "at the node" would be within a certain range of it, so there's some variance. It could also be that the guard has "seen" you when you're on your way to the door so they go to your seen location, and from there they no longer have line of sight (and your closest node is also their closest node, so they don't know what to do).
Perfect Dark / Re: Post New WR Discussion Here!!
« Last post by Whiteted on Today at 04:27:20 PM »
Huge congratulations to Kevin for that 52, and the commentary is just incredible.
Don't tell me you didn't practise that re-entrance through the curtains :p

"You will not! You will not fuck me!"
GoldenEye 007 / Re: Post New World Record Discussion Here!
« Last post by Huzi on Today at 02:02:28 PM »
you're a legend Hayden
GoldenEye 007 / Re: Post Obscure Happenings here
« Last post by Whiteted on Today at 01:56:06 PM »
Certainly poor coverage of the area by the network isn't helping but I'm still surprised that they freeze.

When a guard wants to go to your location they pick the node closest to you, then run along those paths until they get to that node.

This is certainly how I've seen guards behave when they are unloaded, but when guards are loaded it seems more complicated. Every so often (possibly when their script is executed) they seem to reconsider what route they'll take, and often take shortcuts towards other network nodes, perhaps seeing that there are no objects in the way. This seems pretty reasonable (and leads to the second video), but sometimes they really seem to hug the environment geometry really tightly, more so than the actual network graph does.

Then they also do all sorts of crap like not remotely taking the shortest route (even in terms of the network graph), or going backwards and forwards as they repeatedly change their mind while Bond is stationary. Good examples on S1 can be found by luring Kevin over the right side of the empty hut. Sometimes he'll go right around hugging the tree line, despite the network offering an almost as-the-crow-flies route.

In this particular case the closest node is where the guards stop
They aren't even that close to it? Maybe it knows it's a big map?
GoldenEye 007 / Re: OFOS League
« Last post by Ogran on Today at 01:02:28 PM »
Madman
Interestingly enough I think 1:01 is quite overdue (see my 1:01 fail and 1:02 dupe from mid 2013 - back when I devoted a lot of time to the level..). I'm not sure if any top player has experimented with Flicker's Boris running trick which could actually be a huge timesaver on the level.
Perfect Dark / Re: Post New WR Discussion Here!!
« Last post by Selenium Webdriver on Today at 10:56:23 AM »
That 0:52 was a fun watch - looked like you were on steroids the entire run (session?). Grats on finally achieving it.
« Last post by Selenium Webdriver on Today at 10:40:24 AM »
Nice job on the 1:16. Seems like you were around .2 to .3 slower after the 2nd alarm (1st tower alarm) but regained that lost time with a great last alarm. The music change just before the last alarm door is usually an awful distraction but you still cranked out the alarm very nicely. Must be great to finally be over with this one.
TimeSplitters 2 / Thq norden acquires timesplitters
« Last post by PJplum on Today at 09:59:48 AM »
Posting here as more active forum. Hope for a sequel returns.

https://news.cision.com/thq-nordic-ab/r/thq-nordic-acquires-timesplitters,c2592484
« Last post by Niiro Kitsune on Today at 09:24:04 AM »
W O W
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10