Author Topic: Ask Any GE Question You'd Like Here!  (Read 98441 times)

Clichejon

Re: Ask Any GE Question You'd Like Here!
« Reply #1250 on: January 11, 2018, 05:12:17 AM »

mop890

« Reply #1251 on: January 12, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
For Dam Agent 54, if the run starts with the cutscene of the gate with the button being green, is that an instant reset? Every time I've tried to run it, the gate would be open by the time I got to it and I figured that was caused by that cutscene.

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1252 on: January 12, 2018, 02:57:52 PM »
For Dam Agent 54, if the run starts with the cutscene of the gate with the button being green, is that an instant reset? Every time I've tried to run it, the gate would be open by the time I got to it and I figured that was caused by that cutscene.

Yes, that is the bad cinema for Dam.

Let me know if you get more than 4 in a row

mop890

« Reply #1253 on: January 12, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
Haha will do, thanks! I think my record is 2 in a row so far :p

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1254 on: January 12, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
Lol, I actually have a video of 5 in a row, here's the vid

Also, feel free to go for the "sidequest" TWR on bad cinemas. (0:02 quitout + 100% accuracy headshot)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:52:01 PM by discordian flick »

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #1255 on: January 12, 2018, 06:41:39 PM »
Hiya. I need help improving my Bunker 2 A run. My fastest time is 27 which I get once every 25/30 completed runs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-Sx2tTm4A&list=PLaewpPOBj4OeMdjOUxpDiuWziTYkCF5AE&index=5. Sorry about the link, I have no I.T. skills lol. Cheers.
Goldeneye would be a hilarious film if Pierce Brosnon speed ran it.

DaisyFan

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #1256 on: January 12, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »
is 1.2 still the controller setting or the dual Controllers became pretty popular for other levels?

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1257 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
Yeah 1.2 is the most common for most levels but it kinda depends on your skill with 2.x tho. Gus and Daniel (perhaps Karl is getting to that point) are 2.x experts and can play pretty much every level with it to get that full speed start, even in very uncommon levels to do so, like Facility, Jungle, Aztec etc. Some other levels are really easy to use regular 2.x with few strafe changes (Dam A, Runway A/SA, etc), and in others you can set up cruise control so it's like playing with your analog stick only (Streets A whole level and SA/00 until Val, and Caverns A where you also get to open the elevator door early along with starting with full speed). More recently Karl and Gus got the Archives WRs using 2.x (it was required to get 15 paces and was helpful to get SA/00 53 paces for sure), but it's a very tight level so it's hard to play 2.x there.

On the other hand in some levels 2.x does nothing, like Bunker 1 because you have to open a door very early and generally you will quick pause to save some tenths anyway.

Icy's explanation in the A Beginner's Guide to Speedrunning Goldeneye is really good (check "Some Intermediate Techniques").

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1258 on: January 13, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
About the b2 run, I haven't played b2 A in while but your beginning seemed very slow, like you had to turn left too much to open nat's cell. You want to take more risks when getting the keycard (that is, don't get too close to the guard) and your tape room movement/turns looked sloppy (went way too much to the right when leaving). Also looks like you need to practice the warp. You don't have to look down or anything, just shoot 3 bullets, press B then A and "swing" a little towards the left side of the door. Don't know if that makes any sense LMAO but the warp movement should be easy to do (even though sometimes it won't work properly, it depends on lag, thats why you should shoot kf7 bullets there). And try to use a little more of lookdown throughout the entire level. Hope it helped.

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #1259 on: January 13, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »
Cheers Vitorr, your tips are valued and well explained.  I agree with everything you mentioned. It's strange how during the run I don't really notice all these faults lol. If I sharpen right up I hope to achieve 25 some day.

Cheers again mate,
Dan.

wishiwasfamous

• derp
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #1260 on: January 20, 2018, 10:50:18 PM »
Could someone explain why the start button bug occurs that causes all inputs to freeze until you press start again? I'm never sure how I cause it to to happen, but generally it happens when I'm switching weapons and quickly press start.

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #1261 on: January 23, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »
Hi guys. I've been playing Dam SA over the last few evenings. I've cut my time from 1.29 - 1.25 which is obviously going in the right direction! I feel my runs are pretty solid until I get to the final 3 alarms. I have learned their positions knowing where they are before opening the doors. The biggest problem is the fricking lag I get trying to take them out. The pp7 fires so slowly it's costing me so much time. Can anybody give me any tips to try to lower this lag? I've tried different visual positioning, using kf7 blah blah but nothing seems to change. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #1262 on: January 23, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
It helps to be somewhat close to the alarms for lag reduction (ie: if you're firing from as far as possible, you'll have the whole outside area loaded), and not to be mashing faster than the lag will allow you to fire. A smoother firing motion will make sure your inputs are actually going through. Do you have any videos of your runs for critiquing? It's easy to get caught up with how fast you're blowing up the alarms, but you might be losing time in other sections of the level.

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #1263 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »
Hiya Icy,

Got a video of a 1.24 run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCqNNt8zlE&feature=youtu.be
I had a shitty gate (dont really know what I was doing lol) but the alarms were way less laggy getting closer - thanks for the advice.
I managed 4 1.24 runs this evening and had 3 1.23 fails and 1 1.22 fail so ye heading in the right direction.
Even though my times are slow compared to others, it still feels great getting a PR lol.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #1264 on: January 24, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
For starters if you aren't already using Full, switch to that. Wide and Cinema settings are bad since they don't load objects/NPCs from as far away, which causes slow gates. I also don't recommend 16:9 :-X, but it's mostly preferential. It might make your lines more awkward to tighten.

Your line to the switch was quite a bit off, and you should straighten it out. Try to learn the lookup strategy in the tunnel too, which helps give faster gates, again, by loading the guard earlier. Your line to the first alarm was a bit off. Try not to go parallel with the wall and go angled slightly to the right for a nice, straight line to the alarm.

Strafe the lock to save some more time. You'll lose some good starts by missing the shot, but the timesave is worth it. Use more lookdown when running across the Dam for more lag reduction.

When you are about to destroy an alarm, start moving backwards, don't react to the alarm explosion. It's also slightly faster to backstrafe rather than turning and straferunning. When you approach the second alarm, try to change your firing angle so that you aren't waiting for the door to open for as long. Try to fire at the alarms sooner too.

Overall, it looks like you are competent with what you're doing, but your playstyle is as if you want to complete every single run. Take some risks in order to cut more time. Some textbook runs I suggest watching are: Calle's 1:17 (10), Oscar's 1:18, and my 1:19, to get a sense of different paces, skill levels, and risk-taking.

Hope this helps!

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #1265 on: January 24, 2018, 06:56:21 PM »
Yo cheers for all these tips bud. I'll go over everything you've mentioned for sure. Didnt realise there was so much to tighten lol. Cheers again mate, this really helps!

mop890

« Reply #1266 on: January 26, 2018, 05:27:50 PM »
So I have some questions about Depot SA, and Surface 1 A. Is 2.X required to run Depot or just required for WR like with other levels? Also, I see people waiting the second cinema for Surface 1, and I've been cutting it early. Is there a specific reason that people watch it?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:49:27 PM by mop890 »

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #1267 on: January 26, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »
So I have some questions about Depot SA, and Surface 1 A. Is 2.X required to run Depot or just required for WR like with other levels? Also, I see people waiting the second cinema for Surface 1, and I've been cutting it early. Is there a specific reason that people watch it?

Valid questions for someone newer to the game!

Using 2.4 control style in Depot SA and 00A will save you roughly 3 entire seconds due to shooting out the screen in the first cinema (when it appears). This is to due the door of that hut taking about 2 seconds to open, and the second or so it would take to destroy the screen on your own. (Use 2.4, even if you don't have a cube stick you'll still save time).

As for S1, people typically wait the second cinema for one of two reasons:
1) The most common reason; People hold Z (or A) to immediately cut the first cinema, making the music consistent to judge your pacing during your sessions.
2) While also accomplishing reason #1, this cinema gives you the 2 seconds you need to charge to full speed while using 2.x (if you choose to use it).
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

mop890

« Reply #1268 on: January 26, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »
Alrighty, that's pretty much what I thought about Depot, thanks!
And wow, I didn't know about using the cinema to gain full speed, that'll help lol. It's pretty funny, I didn't know people used the music to judge their pace but that's exactly what I was doing when I'd cut both cinemas. The music would pick up speed right as I rounded the corner, and then again when I got to the doors haha. I'll have to adjust now, but it will be for the better. Thank you!

mop890

« Reply #1269 on: January 26, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »
One more question, for the ladder warp in Surface 1, do you go into the ladder still holding right strafe, or do you switch to up when your doing the warp? It's kinda hard for me to tell by the videos if they're switching to straight up or if they just continue strafing into it.

KevinDDR

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #1270 on: January 26, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »
Stay in right strafe as you'll be nicely positioned for the first lock (the "left" lock").

mop890

« Reply #1271 on: January 26, 2018, 07:18:49 PM »
Gotcha, thanks!

iriebutler

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #1272 on: January 26, 2018, 09:58:43 PM »
Also watching the second cinema for s1 agent lines the kf7 guard up on the perfect line to the comms tower

mop890

« Reply #1273 on: January 27, 2018, 12:58:16 PM »
I noticed that too Irie! That actually helps a lot.

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #1274 on: January 27, 2018, 03:13:41 PM »
Is it possible to get a Dam A 53 boostless run using 1.2 on PAL? I'm getting tons of 54's but it's very rare I get boosted. I've compared my run music to Dan cervone's run and I'm already about 0.5 - 1 second behind between the double gates and the next gate but I still finish the run as a 54 so must be losing the time in the first 35ish seconds of the stage. I quit out at 25 when I get a regular / slow gate and 99% of the time 38 after missing the lockshot. Got 37 once - probably had a few boosts to help lol. But ye anyway was wondering if I NEED the boosts to make the time.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #1275 on: January 27, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »
Dam Agent 0:53 has been done boostless on NTSC with 1.2, and boostless on PAL with 2.X, but never boostless on PAL with 1.2 to my knowledge. It's certainly possible, especially with the new gate strat, but very tight. You should definitely play for it with 2.X or else you'll have to rely on some good boostage. Otherwise, try to get access to NTSC or Jap if possible.

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #1276 on: January 27, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
Ye was thinking it would be tight as. Thought I had it twice and when I saw 54 I thought it can't be done. So might try for it and become a legend lol. Cheers again for the tips on SA. Got 1.21 earlier and celebrated like WR lol

mop890

« Reply #1277 on: January 27, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
So I think I heard somebody say something about using a GC stick in their N64 controller? I wouldn't think modding like that would be allowed but it'd be pretty helpful if it is lol.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #1278 on: January 27, 2018, 10:52:11 PM »
So I think I heard somebody say something about using a GC stick in their N64 controller? I wouldn't think modding like that would be allowed but it'd be pretty helpful if it is lol.

This is to due the door of that hut taking about 2 seconds to open, and the second or so it would take to destroy the screen on your own. (Use 2.4, even if you don't have a cube stick you'll still save time).

You're allowed.
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

mop890

« Reply #1279 on: January 27, 2018, 11:07:24 PM »
Awesome, thanks!

The man who trolled and lost everything

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #1280 on: January 29, 2018, 03:23:02 AM »
ATTN: Henrik/Icy

How much time exactly would doing the Depot warp save in theory on SA/00A? I get asked this every night I'm streaming, and being able to tell them "it's legitimately been tested to be 0.1" would be cool.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1281 on: January 29, 2018, 04:01:09 AM »
I think it's closer to two seconds actually. Haven't TAS'ed it myself so I don't know the exact time, but reading the comments on Miikka's DLTK run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmLdzpIWEE8

He says he saved half a sec even without the trainshot. If true that would mean the warp would save around 1-2 seconds (which is similar to what I've been told in the past I think). Also, visual comparison A/SA runs to me seems like it takes around ~6 seconds from TS->Safe normally, and ~4 seconds with warp.

This should obviously be timed properly though.

The man who trolled and lost everything

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #1282 on: January 30, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
Holy smokes

Depot SA 0:37 incoming.

Thank you for the info Henrik.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

mop890

« Reply #1283 on: February 02, 2018, 05:43:08 PM »
Hey guys, got a few questions about Cradle. Does Trev only take damage while he's standing still? I've emptied entire clips into him to no avail haha. Also a follow up question to that, I was going for the cheat on Cradle Agent and I completed both objectives but ended up getting killed at the very end where you fall down the ladder. It said "killed in action" but I still unlocked the cheat with both objectives complete. Still kinda confused about that. Thanks everyone!

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1284 on: February 02, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
Hey guys, got a few questions about Cradle. Does Trev only take damage while he's standing still? I've emptied entire clips into him to no avail haha. Also a follow up question to that, I was going for the cheat on Cradle Agent and I completed both objectives but ended up getting killed at the very end where you fall down the ladder. It said "killed in action" but I still unlocked the cheat with both objectives complete. Still kinda confused about that. Thanks everyone!

Trev is only damageable in certain instances. He is invincible until he makes it to the first hut, then he becomes vulnerable for one instance of damage, but once you get too close to him, he'll run away to his next position. He will still be vulnerable until you hit him once, then he becomes invincible until he reaches his next stopping point. So it's possible to hit him while he's moving, but only for one instance of damage. Sometimes if you're far enough away from Trev, you can shoot him while he stands still, and usually he'll run to his next position after that, but sometimes he'll stay in place, allowing you to hit him again.

Dying by falling off at the end with objectives completed is somewhat of a glitch, you do unlock the cheat, but I dont believe the game counts the level as completed for the purposes of unlocking Aztec/Egypt. Sort of a backwards TNS glitch.

mop890

« Reply #1285 on: February 02, 2018, 06:52:00 PM »
Ohh I see, that explains it very well, thanks! I did wonder if maybe it was some sort of glitch, thankfully it happened on Agent so I won't have to worry about it counting towards Aztec/Egypt lol. Definitely shows me that I have a lottt to learn about this game, and I'm enjoying every second of it :)

wishiwasfamous

• derp
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #1286 on: February 05, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
Okay, I'm sure this question's been asked before, but I can't find it! How much time is saved when pausing from lookdown vs. pausing from a straight-ahead view?

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #1287 on: February 05, 2018, 10:30:41 AM »
See here.

wishiwasfamous

• derp
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #1288 on: February 05, 2018, 11:03:32 AM »
Thanks!

MaxDegen

• Dusky
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #1289 on: February 06, 2018, 04:26:15 AM »
yo boys throw me on that 1.2 list, I have it on both 2.X and now on this shit lol

mop890

« Reply #1290 on: February 06, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
Hey guys, got some questions about proof policy. Are videos only required for WR/UWR and time's that are worth over 60 points? I've really been getting into this game, and it's the first game I've actually taken seriously as a speedgame, but I haven't had a chance to pick up a CRT to work with my capture card yet. I'm also technologically illiterate as far as capturing anything goes. This has prevented me from really grinding a level so far, and I'm not at all complaining that proof is required, on the contrary, I think it's an excellent thing for the community as a whole. I was just curious as to what kind of times would require video proof? I did get a capture card and am currently looking for a CRT that maybe a friend or family member is getting rid of. My proudest time so far is Runway A 23 (laughable, I'm sure), which I think isn't worth much of anything now, but I heard about somebody getting their Runway 23 proof called. I could easily be mistaken, I just want to make sure I got all my ducks in a row so that I don't end up in a similar situation. Thank you all! This forum has helped me greatly.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #1291 on: February 06, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »
You can start off by reading the Elite Video Capture and Editing Guide, found here:

https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=20940.0

Any time you submit could be proofcalled.  Any time worth 60 points or more is guaranteed to be called.

If you got one cool time that was worth 38 points and had some other times that weren't quite worth points or not even submitted, you may or may not be asked for proof on that 38 point time.  This should encourage an easier on-ramp for people who don't quite have a streaming setup yet but would like to play the game and set some times.  By the point where you're capable of putting up times worth points, you should know whether or not setting up a recording station is worth it or not.

Some community participants believe that no submissions should be accepted on the site at all without video proof.  It is possible that at some point in the future there will be a change in the rankings site that minimizes, hides, or even removes all submissions that have no video proof.

If you look at the recently submitted times list, you can see what kind of times people are sending in and whether or not they are including videos.

https://rankings.the-elite.net/history

Best practice would be to record every single second you ever play and periodically verify that the recording quality meets all proof standards.

mop890

« Reply #1292 on: February 06, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
Alrighty that's understandable, thanks for the response! I will definitely look into the Video Capture guide. I think I checked it out when I first got the game, but it's pretty confusing to a layman like me lol. One last question, is it possible to record my runs without actually streaming on Twitch? I'm sure that's a stupid question, but yeah, I'm pretty new to all of this. Thanks again!

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #1293 on: February 06, 2018, 05:55:03 PM »
Yes, you can save your recordings to your computer.  This is recommended even if you are also streaming to Twitch.

mop890

« Reply #1294 on: February 06, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »
Awesome, much appreciated :)

Happens

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1295 on: February 07, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
2 questions from someone who's been running the game for about a month:

1: Is it worth posting irrel times? Like I have a 55 on Dam Agent and a 57 on Facility Agent, are either of those worth posting? Should I bother posting a video along with them?

2: I really only know how to play Dam Agent and Facility Agent at this point, should I be moving on to other levels or should I get better times before I move on? And then what should I move onto next?

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #1296 on: February 07, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
You can post times for yourself if you like, nobody will mind either way. I wouldn't worry about videos for anything that's pointless.

Definitely get better at the levels you're playing before moving on, or else you'll be hindering improvement and not really getting anywhere. I strongly suggest posting videos in the critique thread if you're struggling, which it sounds like you are.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #1297 on: February 07, 2018, 01:45:17 PM »
1: Is it worth posting irrel times? Like I have a 55 on Dam Agent and a 57 on Facility Agent, are either of those worth posting? Should I bother posting a video along with them?

Definitely post them. Then you can look back in a few years to see what dates you improved each time.

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #1298 on: February 07, 2018, 05:17:41 PM »
Yo. Been grinding for Dam Agent 0.53 getting on for around 50 hours now. Is this normal lol?

I switched from PAL 1.2 to NTSC 2.2 and still can't make the pace. Just wondering how long the expected grind would be?

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #1299 on: February 07, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
Give us a video of a run you felt was really good for us to see. :v