Author Topic: Ask Any GE Question You'd Like Here!  (Read 87023 times)

Clichejon

Re: Ask Any GE Question You'd Like Here!
« Reply #1250 on: January 09, 2018, 04:51:27 PM »
Another crazy idea / thought / question - double r lean on caverns agent to throw the mine further up the spiral to get another boost.

:o

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #1251 on: January 09, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
Anyone know what the maximum distance you can throw an item using the r lean trick? I was trying to see how far I could throw the bug on Frigate whilst running up and down the stairs.

The helicopter is unloaded so it doesn't work.

Another crazy idea / thought / question - double r lean on caverns agent to throw the mine further up the spiral to get another boost.

Breaking full speed + time spent doing the learn costs way more than a boost would save, not to mention the lag.

The game's been heavily researched and brainstormed. I'd suggest getting used to playing the game and testing mechanics for yourself before coming up with more ideas.

discordian flick

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1252 on: January 09, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »

mop890

« Reply #1253 on: January 10, 2018, 06:28:28 PM »
Hey guys, I had some questions about Bunker 1 Agent. I have a 19 currently and am going for 18, I usually take the longer way (or at least it feels a little longer) around the table when grabbing the goldeneye key, and wasn't sure if that would prevent me from getting 18? I apologize if that's too vague lol.

SGT RAGEQUIT

• Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud
« Reply #1254 on: January 10, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »
Hey guys, I had some questions about Bunker 1 Agent. I have a 19 currently and am going for 18, I usually take the longer way (or at least it feels a little longer) around the table when grabbing the goldeneye key, and wasn't sure if that would prevent me from getting 18? I apologize if that's too vague lol.

Nah, plenty of people (including myself) have 17 going behind the table - you may want to post a video of you playing because it seems like you have other spots in the run to tighten up.

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1255 on: January 10, 2018, 07:35:20 PM »
Not really mate, there are many 17s out there going around the table (even better if you get a boost while going around it). You gotta do sharp turns as much as possible and basically don't get stuck during the glass door pause (you'll get boosts eventually), that should be enough for 18. If you show us a run we can quickly identify where you're losing time as 18s should be easy to get, though.

EDIT: tyler was faster

mop890

« Reply #1256 on: January 11, 2018, 12:02:21 AM »
Alright awesome! I appreciate it, yeah i'm just waiting for that lucky run with the boost through the guards, where I don't fail the warp haha. And yeah I'm still working on either getting an hdmi adapter to use my capture card with my tv or eventually just get a CRT and not have to worry about that. Don't really have a way right now to really record anything, but I'm also pretty technologically illiterate when it comes to this stuff. I am grateful for the help though!

Clichejon

« Reply #1257 on: January 11, 2018, 05:11:00 AM »
Anyone know what the maximum distance you can throw an item using the r lean trick? I was trying to see how far I could throw the bug on Frigate whilst running up and down the stairs.

The helicopter is unloaded so it doesn't work.

Breaking full speed + time spent doing the learn costs way more than a boost would save, not to mention the lag.

The game's been heavily researched and brainstormed. I'd suggest getting used to playing the game and testing mechanics for yourself before coming up with more ideas.

Cheers for letting me know.

PS did I just get an “Ice Burn” !?!   (Joke)

Clichejon

« Reply #1258 on: January 11, 2018, 05:12:17 AM »

mop890

« Reply #1259 on: January 12, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
For Dam Agent 54, if the run starts with the cutscene of the gate with the button being green, is that an instant reset? Every time I've tried to run it, the gate would be open by the time I got to it and I figured that was caused by that cutscene.

discordian flick

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1260 on: January 12, 2018, 02:57:52 PM »
For Dam Agent 54, if the run starts with the cutscene of the gate with the button being green, is that an instant reset? Every time I've tried to run it, the gate would be open by the time I got to it and I figured that was caused by that cutscene.

Yes, that is the bad cinema for Dam.

Let me know if you get more than 4 in a row

mop890

« Reply #1261 on: January 12, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
Haha will do, thanks! I think my record is 2 in a row so far :p

discordian flick

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1262 on: January 12, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
Lol, I actually have a video of 5 in a row, here's the vid

Also, feel free to go for the "sidequest" TWR on bad cinemas. (0:02 quitout + 100% accuracy headshot)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:52:01 PM by discordian flick »

DoggerStyle

« Reply #1263 on: January 12, 2018, 06:41:39 PM »
Hiya. I need help improving my Bunker 2 A run. My fastest time is 27 which I get once every 25/30 completed runs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-Sx2tTm4A&list=PLaewpPOBj4OeMdjOUxpDiuWziTYkCF5AE&index=5. Sorry about the link, I have no I.T. skills lol. Cheers.
It's normal to have triangles inprinted in my finger tips, right?

DaisyFan

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #1264 on: January 12, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »
is 1.2 still the controller setting or the dual Controllers became pretty popular for other levels?

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1265 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
Yeah 1.2 is the most common for most levels but it kinda depends on your skill with 2.x tho. Gus and Daniel (perhaps Karl is getting to that point) are 2.x experts and can play pretty much every level with it to get that full speed start, even in very uncommon levels to do so, like Facility, Jungle, Aztec etc. Some other levels are really easy to use regular 2.x with few strafe changes (Dam A, Runway A/SA, etc), and in others you can set up cruise control so it's like playing with your analog stick only (Streets A whole level and SA/00 until Val, and Caverns A where you also get to open the elevator door early along with starting with full speed). More recently Karl and Gus got the Archives WRs using 2.x (it was required to get 15 paces and was helpful to get SA/00 53 paces for sure), but it's a very tight level so it's hard to play 2.x there.

On the other hand in some levels 2.x does nothing, like Bunker 1 because you have to open a door very early and generally you will quick pause to save some tenths anyway.

Icy's explanation in the A Beginner's Guide to Speedrunning Goldeneye is really good (check "Some Intermediate Techniques").

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #1266 on: January 13, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
About the b2 run, I haven't played b2 A in while but your beginning seemed very slow, like you had to turn left too much to open nat's cell. You want to take more risks when getting the keycard (that is, don't get too close to the guard) and your tape room movement/turns looked sloppy (went way too much to the right when leaving). Also looks like you need to practice the warp. You don't have to look down or anything, just shoot 3 bullets, press B then A and "swing" a little towards the left side of the door. Don't know if that makes any sense LMAO but the warp movement should be easy to do (even though sometimes it won't work properly, it depends on lag, thats why you should shoot kf7 bullets there). And try to use a little more of lookdown throughout the entire level. Hope it helped.

DoggerStyle

« Reply #1267 on: January 13, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »
Cheers Vitorr, your tips are valued and well explained.  I agree with everything you mentioned. It's strange how during the run I don't really notice all these faults lol. If I sharpen right up I hope to achieve 25 some day.

Cheers again mate,
Dan.
It's normal to have triangles inprinted in my finger tips, right?