Author Topic: Defection 0:05 Guide  (Read 1719 times)

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Defection 0:05 Guide
« on: January 09, 2018, 06:07:58 pm »
Thanks to Icy for inspiring me to write this tutorial, and to Henrik for helping me achieve this time. I suggest you watch Henrik's tutorial video in addition to this one, as he gives a different perspective on the level than I do, and with better visual aides.

Before attempting this time I recommend that you achieve 0:06 first with either the open door or guard head strats. At the very least, you should have a good working knowledge of the layout of the bottom floor of the building, in order to help with landing in the elevator, the most crucial part of the level. Read Icy's 0:06 tutorial to start.

Control Style

This is the first point of preference for this time. You can choose between 1.2 and 1.4, the only difference being 1.4 uses Z to aim and crouch instead of R. I started learning with 1.4 because Illu recommended it, but after around 5-10 hours of playing for the time I switched to 1.2. I'll explain later what the real effect of control style is on the time later, and why I switched. I know that Henrik used 1.2 as well, and Karl and Illu used 1.4, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

Landing in the Wall

The first thing we must do in the level is to clip through the section of wall extending from the top right corner of the door to the edge of the wall perpendicular to it. Unlike for 0:06, you must be double crouched. Our second point of preference comes in whether you do this clip in backward or forward strafe. Below is a list of strafes used in each 0:05 (excluding Jezz, who recently deleted his videos).

Backward strafe: Illu, Cedric, Henrik, Greenounet

Forward strafe: Karl, MouserScribe, Swiss, myself

Henrik's preferred method for the start of the level is to strafe perpendicularly to the starting platform (that is to say, parallel to the railing above the door) in order to start falling as quickly as possible. Then, while in the air, he turns right slightly to avoid hitting the railing and back strafes into the wall. He claims that this is the most consistent way to do the clip (and may be the fastest), but I found that I was not good at it, and didn't like backward strafing into the wall and being forced to add a strafe change after the clip. Again, this all comes down to what you feel comfortable doing.

The other main method for the beginning, used by everyone else, is to get an angle from the start that lets you avoid the railing without having to adjust your angle midair, putting you roughly next to the patch of wall you need to clip through. The angle that I use is almost exactly halfway between the "up" and "up left" notches on the stick. I release strafe around when I start to fall off the starting platform, and start to hold R (or Z) around when I am above the near side of the door. Press C-Down twice as fast as you can in order to start double crouching, and begin to strafe toward the wall. If you are using forward strafe, MAKE SURE YOU RELEASE AIM BEFORE STARTING TO HOLD STRAFE AGAIN, or else you will uncrouch once and not be able to clip. To make sure you hit the double crouch correctly, check if you are fully crouched when you land before pausing out. If using backwards strafe I don't believe this is a problem, as you will not uncrouch if you're backstrafing when you release aim. If all goes well, you will clip into the wall, and you need to be ready to move onto the next part of the level immediately.

Getting Out of the Building

Once you clip through the wall, you should start to see the blackness of the out of bounds area. As soon as you see the blackness, you should start to turn inwards, hugging the corner that you just clipped past. (It's important to note that when backstrafing into the wall, you're generally already set up for this angle, and you just have to strafe change as soon as you clip into the wall instead of turning.) If you wait too long to start turning, you'll probably clip back in bounds. Surprisingly, your angle here makes almost no difference. This angle only really changes the angle you will need on the final turn. You can take the turn as wide as MouserScribe, or as sharp as Greenounet. Try to stay within these two, as too much sharper might lose time or make it impossible to complete the level, and any wider means you'll almost certainly clip into the cheese room or the room next to it. MouserScribe even turns so wide you can see him rub against the side of the cheese room pipe, maybe costing a few frames. I personally preferred going wide on most runs, but coincidentally I went fairly sharp on my 0:05. If you want a visual guide, try putting the beam at roughly a 45 degree angle with the bottom of your screen.

Much more important in this section is the uncrouch. As soon as you see the blackness, while you're turning, you need to press Z/R twice, AS FAST AS YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE TO. To get an idea how fast (and when) you need to do this, watch a few runs frame by frame, looking for the aim crosshair to come up. Henrik presses so fast that the crosshair doesn't even disappear between presses. If you don't press fast enough, you will either clip back in bounds/get stuck in a wall, or you will not get the fastest possible fall speed, even if you successfully uncrouched twice.

Fall speed is the most overlooked part of the run, as it is the main difference between 0:05 and 0:06 and is why completing 0:05 pace runs is so incredibly hard. You should get familiar with what this fast fall looks like, and make sure that you are consistently getting out of the building with it. If you don't get this fast fall, your runs will probably max out around 6.4 ish, I would guess. If you're able to make it all the way to the far end of the beam before you pass it, you're definitely not in the fastest fall speed.

The beginning portion of the level is why I believe Karl and Illu recommend 1.4, giving the aim input to your left hand rather than having to aim, double crouch, release aim, and begin strafing all with the right hand in less than half a second. 1.4 makes this quite a bit more comfortable, letting just your thumb do all the work for the right hand. This middle portion is why I personally felt the need to use 1.2, as I couldn't consistently hit the Z button twice as fast as is required. It turns out I can press R much faster, making me much more consistent at the middle portion with 1.2. I reasoned that I would take a slight hit in consistency in the beginning for almost 100% consistency in the middle portion because it led to more runs that had a chance at reaching the ending portion, the most inconsistent portion in general. Test to make sure that you can hit Z/R as fast as you need to, and I recommend going with whichever one you can hit faster.

The Final Two Turns

Once you've uncrouched, it's time to make a hard left turn right as you exit the side of the building. Generally, assuming I see the cheese room pipe appear on my screen through the blackness, I start turning as soon as it disappears from view. If you don't turn fast enough here, you'll find yourself getting stuck in the walls on your way down, either by the potted plant or the couch in the corners seen below.

The two corners you most often get stuck in, shown from inside

The turn that you have to make here is pretty tricky, and you'll probably have quite a few runs where you land on the beam on the side of the building rather than falling past it. Don't let this discourage you, and play plenty of runs out where you landed on the railing at the beginning in order to get a feel for this turn and the one after it. The only time to check the pace of your run is around here: as you pass the beam, you want around 4.0 or lower.

The main limiting factor in the ending of the level is the distance needed to reach the elevator. Most runs that make it to the final turn will die because you either undershot or miss-angled to the elevator. You might think that you have to make this turn as close by the beam as you can, and turn into it early so that you have time to adjust your angle. I thought this for a long time, and I eventually realized that this makes landing in the elevator nearly impossible. Instead, you should take this turn quite a bit wider past the beam than you might think, and do a sort of hooking turn inwards as you pass it. In order to see what I mean, take the drawing below.

How to turn past the beam (inb4 speed is not a vector)

Basically, instead of grinding against the side of the beam as you fall past it, you need to go wide out of the building, and turn so that Joanna just slips under the beam as she falls past it. This will help you get more distance, as you'll have better momentum towards the elevator this way. My 0:05 shows this very well I think, going right under the beam without hitting it. Go frame by frame to see where Joanna is in relation to the beam as I complete the turn. This strategy may not be entirely required, and it makes the angle toward the elevator a bit harder, but it certainly seems to equate to a higher chance of a completed run, something you desperately need given this ending.

As you complete this turn, you should look up at least to neutral if not higher, as this will reduce the chances that you get stuck in a wall as you fall. Illu, Karl, and Cedric did not do this (as the lookup strat was not known at the time), instead looking down the whole way, with Illu and Karl adding a pause to help reach the elevator. I'm not too sure on the specifics of this strat, and it seems to make the ending quite a bit harder, so I recommend you don't bother with it. If you don't look up, or if you do it too late, you'll find yourself getting stuck in either the plant or couch corners mentioned above, or in the wall of the computer room next to the elevator. If you notice that the background starts coming straight down rather than moving along with you, you have gotten stuck in the wall, and can quit out unless you want to see which wall you got stuck in.

You'll often get stuck in this wall if you don't quite have enough momentum***

Landing in the Elevator

As for the angle of this turn, it is very much down to feeling. This turn is why I recommend you get familiar with the bottom floor, so that you have an idea of where the elevator is compared to where you are. Watch all of the 5's, some 6's, and maybe even some SA/PA runs to get a feel for how to take this turn. The most important part in getting the feeling for this turn is honestly just playing out many, many runs to dial in your position. You can always make small adjustments as you fall, but the more you have to adjust, the less likely you are to get all the way to the elevator. You can see these last second adjustments in everyone's runs who used the lookup strat. Again, this sort of knowledge comes only with experience, so play out runs that don't have a chance (assuming you still get fast fall, that is).

Something Henrik recommends and that I used (without really understanding why it works)***, is letting go of strafe just before you reach the elevator. Henrik says to let go between roughly 5.5 and 5.7. Since I couldn't see the time on my screen very well as I was playing, I instead used a visual cue. Usually, while you're falling, you can see the buildings in the background moving along with you. It just so happens that these buildings tend to disappear from view around 5.5-5.7 on an average run, so as soon as the buildings disappear completely you can let go of the controller completely. This strat is kind of hard to get used to, as it feels like it shouldn't work and that you're letting go of control over the run, but it seems to be beneficial, so trust me (and Henrik), and just let go.

***Correction, thanks to Swiss/Flicker: Letting go of strafe allows you to better traverse the out of bounds area and avoid getting stuck in the computer room wall shown above***

After enough practice, you should hopefully be able to land in the elevator around 5-10% of the time, which isn't so bad, all things considered. However, just landing in the elevator isn't the whole story. When the level actually completes matters too. To get what I mean, compare Karl's ending frame to Cedric's. Karl had already landed on top of the elevator when the timer stopped, but Cedric's ended very high above the elevator. This uncertainty in ending timing could lead to maybe +- 0.3 s, and might lead you to have a couple of low 6's/high 5's rounded up before you actually get the record.

Cedric, MouserScribe, and Swiss all had very good endings, with Swiss's being maybe the best. Illu, Henrik, and Greenounet all had decent endings, and Karl and I had the worst endings out of anyone. My guess for the difference in endings is that the ending trigger probably extends upwards in some sort of cone shape or something, and the closer you are to the center the faster the level completes. I'm not sure, but this would make sense.

Closing

So there you have all you need to start going for this time. It's definitely an undertied time, but I'm not sure if I would call it underrated or overrated. It's definitely maxed, and I would guess the best possible time is around 5.4 ish. I honestly don't think that this level really corresponds to Perfect Dark skill; it's basically its own level separate from the rest of the game. I mean, I was able to get this time in less than 30 hours without having even gotten halfway through the game on Agent, so don't feel bad if you're good at the rest of the game but have trouble with this time.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, or point out anything you think needs a better explanation.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:37:34 pm by mw »
PD Proof Moderator

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
Re: Defection 0:05 Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:47:09 pm »
Damn dude! Nice write-up!
90+ hrs into XC2 NG+, going for 100%. Be back when I get bored.

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:47:38 pm »
Well written! Great job.

I wonder if the pause in Karl/Illu's run had a similar effect to letting go of speed? Since pausing makes you lose full speed.

Illu

• Proven Champ 2007
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • my Perfect Dark times page
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:47:19 pm »
Guess so, I paused because I knew going full speed I'd never get into the elevator.

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:20:06 pm »
Do either of you know why losing full speed is beneficial? Does your get carried further if you lose speed or something?
PD Proof Moderator

Swiss

• Swiss
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:49:02 pm »
If you've played SA, you'll know that the final wall in front of the lift can't be smoothly traversed while holding speed. For that reason we must "tap" the C buttons and quickly release when we're ready to pass through or we get stuck. Lots of agent runs can die to getting stuck in this wall. The pause strat cuts off your movement inputs and so has the same effect as the quick "press and release" we do on SA when it comes to clearing the wall. Letting off speed just before the lift is yet another way to achieve this effect.

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:07:45 pm »
If you've played SA, you'll know that the final wall in front of the lift can't be smoothly traversed while holding speed. For that reason we must "tap" the C buttons and quickly release when we're ready to pass through or we get stuck. Lots of agent runs can die to getting stuck in this wall. The pause strat cuts off your movement inputs and so has the same effect as the quick "press and release" we do on SA when it comes to clearing the wall. Letting off speed just before the lift is yet another way to achieve this effect.

The same goes for the OoB ending on Crash Site PA. You dont have complete freedom of movement while out of bounds, there's that weird speed restriction that makes you just stick in place unless you move some amount slower, just an odd property of the invisible walls. It's more noticeable on Crash Site since you're riding the hoverbike which already moves quite quick. This is why there's so much pause buffering during my version of the Crash Site OoB ending, not only does it let you quickdraw the remote mine for detonation, but also lets you set up for the LX shot, while also being an easy way to make the smaller movements needed to not get stuck. Boss' way of doing the OoB on Crash Site is slightly different in that he does full lookdown and actually taps the C buttons rather than pausing, which is surely quicker by a good margin.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:52:20 pm by discordian flick »

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:37 pm »

Ahh, that makes sense. I started learning SA a bit but I hadn't gotten as far as the ending yet. I guess it makes sense that the pause/let go is to not get stuck rather than to gain distance. Thanks for the clarification!

By the way, do you (or anyone else for that matter) have anything else to add that I might have missed? Obviously I don't know everything to know about the level.
PD Proof Moderator

Swiss

• Swiss
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:47:34 pm »
I think you hit pretty much everything but if anything comes to mind I'll mention it. Jezz is a backstrafe guy btw. :kappa:

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 01:08:49 am »
So I stumbled across this video recently and decided to do a supplemental post outlining how I feel you should be practicing for this time.

Focus on doing things correctly, not "getting runs"
In his video Clemens claims over a hundred 0:06's, while I had only around 12-15 before my 0:05. Most of my runs amounted to stuck-in-wall fails like in this video, and I spent most of my time learning to try and avoid these fails instead of being annoyed that they happened. I think if he had been a bit more 150+ IQ about his playing habits he would have gotten the time much quicker. On such a short level, it seems imperative to make every small optimization you can, such that no run is truly wasted.

Think of/practice the level in sections
I think of the run as having three main sections, the first being getting into the wall, the second clipping out of the wall in fast fall, and the final one being the final two turns and landing in the lift. I think it's best to focus on these three sections in turn, most likely starting with getting the middle section completely consistent and ending with getting a feel for the beginning section. This gives you the highest chance of not choking good runs. Clemens complains about not being able to get fast falls, which was not a problem for me with the amount I practiced the middle section.

Additional tips:
Consider your stick. The stick I used was roughly a 4/10 I would guess. I have a harder time on the level with my new 9/10 stick. It might be that a less sensitive stick makes the angle off the starting platform (and any minute adjustments you have to make) quite a bit easier.

Refer to higher powers often. I watched Henrik's tutorial about once every 2-3 hours as I played for the time, and each time it felt like I understood it on a deeper level. Just blindly playing, even if you feel like you're learning, can often be a fruitless endeavor. Consult Henrik's video, this guide, and even us players often, even if you feel like you know all there is to know.

PD Proof Moderator

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 01:39:10 am »
Will definitely consider when I go for 5 eventually <3
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015