Author Topic: itshappening.png  (Read 985 times)

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
itshappening.png
« on: October 06, 2016, 12:11:38 AM »

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: itshappening.png
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:52:24 AM »
*scribbling some notes down*

The main page is rough.   A lot of links need to get nuked or updated.   This page has the same problem the-elite main page has with news literally nobody cares about in the middle but that's not gonna change for now so...
The rankings exist (!) but they're the last official one right now.   Needs some RTA page.  (that could just be a link to a google doc for all I care though)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:15:28 AM by wheatrich »

Anemptybox

• twitch
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:40:49 AM »
Awesome!

bothanspy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »
This is fantastic news.

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »
All we need it someone to go through the pages and make sure everything still works so we can make it live.  Then someone to volunteer to maintain the thing indefinitely...updates, fix broken links, etc.

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Another call for any volunteers to manage the site. If no one steps forward I will just open it up as-is, but I want to make it clear I won't be doing any maintenance or updating work on the site, so if you want it done you need to find someone.

Also if anyone knows the previous link(s) to the site, please share them so I can set up redirects, assuming they are on "the-elite.net"

MepH

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »
It's great news as you guys said ! :) good job guys

@TheFlash, I'm ok to do it. I've already ran few 'updates' in the past for TS1 which I uploaded to the forum as I couldn't update these on the site, so it's even better if I can update for real this time even though I'm currently innactive as a player. I think it's a good idea if SilentThunder can still update too as he did that job for long years, if it's possible!

The main links we used were these ones:
www.the-elite.net/TSElite/ (or www.the-elite.net/TSElite/index.html)
www.the-elite.net/TSElite/TS1/PointRankings/TS1WorldRecords.html
www.the-elite.net/TSElite/TS2/PointRankings/TS2WorldRecords.html
www.the-elite.net/TSElite/TSFP/PointRankings/TSFPWorldRecords.html

We can see how it looked overall here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150330195338/http://www.the-elite.net/TSElite/index.html even if few imgs or colors may be buggy/missing from that archive :) (most links are working!)

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 01:00:06 PM »

Thank you.

I will set up a redirect so that any URL under www.the-elite.net/TSElite will now be sent to timesplitters.the-elite.net.

@TheFlash, I'm ok to do it. I've already ran few 'updates' in the past for TS1 which I uploaded to the forum as I couldn't update these on the site, so it's even better if I can update for real this time even though I'm currently innactive as a player. I think it's a good idea if SilentThunder can still update too as he did that job for long years, if it's possible!

Excellent!

I will set up an account on the server for you.  Can you send me a public ssh key that I can apply to your account for authentication? Then you will be able to use your favorite SSH or (S)FTP client to make modifications to all files within timesplitters.the-elite.net.

I think it's a good idea if SilentThunder can still update too as he did that job for long years, if it's possible!

If he sends me a public ssh key, I will create an account for him as well.

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »

I will set up a redirect so that any URL under www.the-elite.net/TSElite will now be sent to timesplitters.the-elite.net.

These links are now all redirecting to the new page.

I also removed the authentication barrier so the pages are now visible to everyone.

I made an account for user meph and once I get his public ssh key he will be able to log in and update whatever he wishes.  If anyone else wants to be updating things, let me know.

MepH

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »
Nice !

I've just sent you a PM with it :)

Samshady

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 04:37:01 AM »
It's nice to see what's happening here, thank you! :)

bothanspy

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:45:57 AM »
What ever happened with this? Are times update-able? I know I've said this before but a working rankings would 100% get people (maybe just me) to play again.

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 12:58:34 AM »
What ever happened with this? Are times update-able? I know I've said this before but a working rankings would 100% get people (maybe just me) to play again.

Last updated file was 30 Nov 2016.

I haven't heard anything from user MepH since getting his account set up.  He probably found other fun games to play and just didn't find much incentive to work on this.

So the overall status is basically exactly what has previously been reported in this topic.

As before, if anyone is willing to take the lead and be in charge of the site, update files, etc., I will set up an account for them and they can contribute whatever they wish.

I can provide technical support but I'm not going to be running the site myself.  I'll help you figure out what you need to do, give advice, etc.

bothanspy

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 04:03:17 AM »
Aright, well, I'm willing to try to be "the guy". Problem is, I have almost zero knowledge of how to run a website. I took an HTML class in high school (like 15 years ago). Other than that I don't really know anything about building/editing/maintaining a website. It can't hurt to try, though, right?

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 12:46:02 AM »
I took an HTML class in high school (like 15 years ago). Other than that I don't really know anything about building/editing/maintaining a website.

That's usually fine, it mostly comes down to just needing someone to care enough to spend 1, 5, 10, 30 hours or whatever it takes to get things going again and then ongoing work to keep things up to date.  Figuring out how to do a particular task is relatively easy and plenty of people here will be able to answer your questions if you know what you want to do but not quite exactly how.  As I mentioned before, I'm willing to give technical help and advice on this front but I'm not going to do the whole project myself.

I took a peek at what is present in the site's files right now, to give you some idea of where we stand.

Right now all we really have is a bunch of HTML files with everyone's times in them and the rankings pages.  There was probably an updater program that generates some of those files, but it is not present in the copy of the site I got from Clark.

You have a few options for what to do next.  You could try to find out who the previous updater of the site was and talk to them about the procedures they used and hopefully get access to whatever program they had to generate the rankings.

If you can't get in touch or no copy of the program can be found, you'd probably want to start to develop your own system to generate the rankings from the individual player times pages.  This probably isn't as hard now as it was when the site was first set up and you would certainly find support in that task.

If you really don't care a ton about having an automated system, the site seems small enough that manual editing could work at least for a while. You would need to be diligent about keeping copies/history in case manual editing went wrong.

The news posts were probably generated by a program called "greymatter" -- I did find a copy of the software in the full site backup I have but it may or may not work in its current state.  This is something I can look into at some point after we know more about getting the actual rankings portion working.

Since you wouldn't necessarily be able to do much right away, I won't bother with setting you up with access to the server quite yet.  Let's see if we can get any info from past updaters about whether a program exists to generate the rankings first.

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 11:59:43 AM »
Well that's not good news.  Guess the update program is gone (last I knew it wasn't working anyway tho).

Silent Thunder

• Less dangerous than invisible lightning.
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »
TheFlash is correct on how everything was ran.  An updater program read html time pages and generated all of the html pages for the rankings.  I then would manually ftp all of the generated the ranking files into the location created under the-elite.net. 

The news page was indeed generated by Greymatter, which the main site the-elite.net was using at the time.  I do not remember any of the login info for that, however.

My last backups of the online pages are from 2010.  I would update the time pages manually for players like Megadestructor. 

I still have the updater and it still works, although every time page is local at this point.  I would need to do some cleanup of the interface before handing it off, however, as there's buttons for features I never implemented that need to be removed, and managing time pages is really clunky.  The code has some issues too (I would not code it the same way today), and I would need to do some cleanup there, at the very least removing hard coded directories and moving those to an external config. 

There's also a some html for the ranking page generation that is hard coded that really should be moved into more external templates, that way the look of the site can be updated if needed.  I'll see what I can do this weekend.

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 01:10:57 AM »
Thanks for the update.

If you want to continue doing updates yourself or share responsibility with bothanspy, I can get you set up with access to send the new files to the server.  The login details will be different since this is all on a different server now.

If you wish to pass off all responsibility to bothanspy, I'm sure he'd appreciate any help you can give with updating the updater program and/or explaining how to use it.

It would also be nice if we could store a copy of the updater program on the server to at least tie its lifetime and backup strategy with the actual files of the site so we don't lose track of it as time passes.

I'm not really sure at all what the most up-to-date copy of the pages is.  This post from last year has an "unofficial update" from 2014.  The ones currently on the site may possibly be from 2013 (TS1), 2011 (TS2), and 2010 (TSFP), but I have no reason to believe the last modified dates attached to the files I was given are actually all correct.  Let me know if you want the full archive of those pages.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:20:07 AM by TheFlash »

bothanspy

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
As much as I want ST to be involved, I don't think we should rely on his input to update the site. The man is busy, I'm sure. Also ST, if you read this, is there an email address or some more reliable way to get into contact with you? Anybody can reach me at martyjst@gmail.com if they want to.

So as I mentioned I haven't worked with HTML in 15 or so years. I tried to do a couple of super simple edits, just to see if I could, and the results were not great. I can edit the text just fine, but when I save and re-open the page, the layout is quite different than the current site. The main issue being there are no tables at all. Also some of the text is different color/size, but I don't think that is a big issue.

All I did was save the TS2 main rankings page to my PC > View Source > edited in Notepad, and save as .html. Am I doing it wrong?

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 03:18:31 AM »
If you open a .html file from your filesystem, the browser will not always display everything correctly.  Any links to external content, images, scripts, CSS, etc. may be broken.  I think the typical workaround is to run a local web server.  Another is to just constantly send files to an external server. Or, you can edit files on an external server directly.

Let's not worry about it too much until we hear back from Silent Thunder.  If he can pass along the updater program, your job would be much, much simpler and only minor HTML editing would be needed.  Once we get all the ingredients in place, I can help you set up a nice workflow for doing updates and sending them to the live site.