Author Topic: itshappening.png  (Read 2775 times)

TheFlash

• twitch
itshappening.png
« on: October 06, 2016, 12:11:38 AM »

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: itshappening.png
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:52:24 AM »
*scribbling some notes down*

The main page is rough.   A lot of links need to get nuked or updated.   This page has the same problem the-elite main page has with news literally nobody cares about in the middle but that's not gonna change for now so...
The rankings exist (!) but they're the last official one right now.   Needs some RTA page.  (that could just be a link to a google doc for all I care though)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:15:28 AM by wheatrich »

Anemptybox

• twitch
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:40:49 AM »
Awesome!

bothanspy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »
This is fantastic news.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »
All we need it someone to go through the pages and make sure everything still works so we can make it live.  Then someone to volunteer to maintain the thing indefinitely...updates, fix broken links, etc.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Another call for any volunteers to manage the site. If no one steps forward I will just open it up as-is, but I want to make it clear I won't be doing any maintenance or updating work on the site, so if you want it done you need to find someone.

Also if anyone knows the previous link(s) to the site, please share them so I can set up redirects, assuming they are on "the-elite.net"

MepH

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »
It's great news as you guys said ! :) good job guys

@TheFlash, I'm ok to do it. I've already ran few 'updates' in the past for TS1 which I uploaded to the forum as I couldn't update these on the site, so it's even better if I can update for real this time even though I'm currently innactive as a player. I think it's a good idea if SilentThunder can still update too as he did that job for long years, if it's possible!

The main links we used were these ones:
www.the-elite.net/TSElite/ (or www.the-elite.net/TSElite/index.html)
www.the-elite.net/TSElite/TS1/PointRankings/TS1WorldRecords.html
www.the-elite.net/TSElite/TS2/PointRankings/TS2WorldRecords.html
www.the-elite.net/TSElite/TSFP/PointRankings/TSFPWorldRecords.html

We can see how it looked overall here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150330195338/http://www.the-elite.net/TSElite/index.html even if few imgs or colors may be buggy/missing from that archive :) (most links are working!)

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 01:00:06 PM »

Thank you.

I will set up a redirect so that any URL under www.the-elite.net/TSElite will now be sent to timesplitters.the-elite.net.

@TheFlash, I'm ok to do it. I've already ran few 'updates' in the past for TS1 which I uploaded to the forum as I couldn't update these on the site, so it's even better if I can update for real this time even though I'm currently innactive as a player. I think it's a good idea if SilentThunder can still update too as he did that job for long years, if it's possible!

Excellent!

I will set up an account on the server for you.  Can you send me a public ssh key that I can apply to your account for authentication? Then you will be able to use your favorite SSH or (S)FTP client to make modifications to all files within timesplitters.the-elite.net.

I think it's a good idea if SilentThunder can still update too as he did that job for long years, if it's possible!

If he sends me a public ssh key, I will create an account for him as well.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »

I will set up a redirect so that any URL under www.the-elite.net/TSElite will now be sent to timesplitters.the-elite.net.

These links are now all redirecting to the new page.

I also removed the authentication barrier so the pages are now visible to everyone.

I made an account for user meph and once I get his public ssh key he will be able to log in and update whatever he wishes.  If anyone else wants to be updating things, let me know.

MepH

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »
Nice !

I've just sent you a PM with it :)

Samshady

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 04:37:01 AM »
It's nice to see what's happening here, thank you! :)

bothanspy

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:45:57 AM »
What ever happened with this? Are times update-able? I know I've said this before but a working rankings would 100% get people (maybe just me) to play again.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 12:58:34 AM »
What ever happened with this? Are times update-able? I know I've said this before but a working rankings would 100% get people (maybe just me) to play again.

Last updated file was 30 Nov 2016.

I haven't heard anything from user MepH since getting his account set up.  He probably found other fun games to play and just didn't find much incentive to work on this.

So the overall status is basically exactly what has previously been reported in this topic.

As before, if anyone is willing to take the lead and be in charge of the site, update files, etc., I will set up an account for them and they can contribute whatever they wish.

I can provide technical support but I'm not going to be running the site myself.  I'll help you figure out what you need to do, give advice, etc.

bothanspy

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 04:03:17 AM »
Aright, well, I'm willing to try to be "the guy". Problem is, I have almost zero knowledge of how to run a website. I took an HTML class in high school (like 15 years ago). Other than that I don't really know anything about building/editing/maintaining a website. It can't hurt to try, though, right?

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 12:46:02 AM »
I took an HTML class in high school (like 15 years ago). Other than that I don't really know anything about building/editing/maintaining a website.

That's usually fine, it mostly comes down to just needing someone to care enough to spend 1, 5, 10, 30 hours or whatever it takes to get things going again and then ongoing work to keep things up to date.  Figuring out how to do a particular task is relatively easy and plenty of people here will be able to answer your questions if you know what you want to do but not quite exactly how.  As I mentioned before, I'm willing to give technical help and advice on this front but I'm not going to do the whole project myself.

I took a peek at what is present in the site's files right now, to give you some idea of where we stand.

Right now all we really have is a bunch of HTML files with everyone's times in them and the rankings pages.  There was probably an updater program that generates some of those files, but it is not present in the copy of the site I got from Clark.

You have a few options for what to do next.  You could try to find out who the previous updater of the site was and talk to them about the procedures they used and hopefully get access to whatever program they had to generate the rankings.

If you can't get in touch or no copy of the program can be found, you'd probably want to start to develop your own system to generate the rankings from the individual player times pages.  This probably isn't as hard now as it was when the site was first set up and you would certainly find support in that task.

If you really don't care a ton about having an automated system, the site seems small enough that manual editing could work at least for a while. You would need to be diligent about keeping copies/history in case manual editing went wrong.

The news posts were probably generated by a program called "greymatter" -- I did find a copy of the software in the full site backup I have but it may or may not work in its current state.  This is something I can look into at some point after we know more about getting the actual rankings portion working.

Since you wouldn't necessarily be able to do much right away, I won't bother with setting you up with access to the server quite yet.  Let's see if we can get any info from past updaters about whether a program exists to generate the rankings first.

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 11:59:43 AM »
Well that's not good news.  Guess the update program is gone (last I knew it wasn't working anyway tho).

Silent Thunder

• Less dangerous than invisible lightning.
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »
TheFlash is correct on how everything was ran.  An updater program read html time pages and generated all of the html pages for the rankings.  I then would manually ftp all of the generated the ranking files into the location created under the-elite.net. 

The news page was indeed generated by Greymatter, which the main site the-elite.net was using at the time.  I do not remember any of the login info for that, however.

My last backups of the online pages are from 2010.  I would update the time pages manually for players like Megadestructor. 

I still have the updater and it still works, although every time page is local at this point.  I would need to do some cleanup of the interface before handing it off, however, as there's buttons for features I never implemented that need to be removed, and managing time pages is really clunky.  The code has some issues too (I would not code it the same way today), and I would need to do some cleanup there, at the very least removing hard coded directories and moving those to an external config. 

There's also a some html for the ranking page generation that is hard coded that really should be moved into more external templates, that way the look of the site can be updated if needed.  I'll see what I can do this weekend.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 01:10:57 AM »
Thanks for the update.

If you want to continue doing updates yourself or share responsibility with bothanspy, I can get you set up with access to send the new files to the server.  The login details will be different since this is all on a different server now.

If you wish to pass off all responsibility to bothanspy, I'm sure he'd appreciate any help you can give with updating the updater program and/or explaining how to use it.

It would also be nice if we could store a copy of the updater program on the server to at least tie its lifetime and backup strategy with the actual files of the site so we don't lose track of it as time passes.

I'm not really sure at all what the most up-to-date copy of the pages is.  This post from last year has an "unofficial update" from 2014.  The ones currently on the site may possibly be from 2013 (TS1), 2011 (TS2), and 2010 (TSFP), but I have no reason to believe the last modified dates attached to the files I was given are actually all correct.  Let me know if you want the full archive of those pages.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:20:07 AM by TheFlash »

bothanspy

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
As much as I want ST to be involved, I don't think we should rely on his input to update the site. The man is busy, I'm sure. Also ST, if you read this, is there an email address or some more reliable way to get into contact with you? Anybody can reach me at martyjst@gmail.com if they want to.

So as I mentioned I haven't worked with HTML in 15 or so years. I tried to do a couple of super simple edits, just to see if I could, and the results were not great. I can edit the text just fine, but when I save and re-open the page, the layout is quite different than the current site. The main issue being there are no tables at all. Also some of the text is different color/size, but I don't think that is a big issue.

All I did was save the TS2 main rankings page to my PC > View Source > edited in Notepad, and save as .html. Am I doing it wrong?

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 03:18:31 AM »
If you open a .html file from your filesystem, the browser will not always display everything correctly.  Any links to external content, images, scripts, CSS, etc. may be broken.  I think the typical workaround is to run a local web server.  Another is to just constantly send files to an external server. Or, you can edit files on an external server directly.

Let's not worry about it too much until we hear back from Silent Thunder.  If he can pass along the updater program, your job would be much, much simpler and only minor HTML editing would be needed.  Once we get all the ingredients in place, I can help you set up a nice workflow for doing updates and sending them to the live site.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
I have not forgotten about this.  Currently looking into doing something a bit different...

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »
I have not forgotten.  This is very early, but I figured I'd give a quick preview of what I've been doing since 12/20 until now.

This shot makes it look like a lot more is finished than really is.  This is running on my local machine, there is no site you can visit right now and there won't be one for quite some time.

So far, I've have the database design mostly finished and a lot of logic for generating the WR rankings and stage rankings are done.  This is where most of my time has gone so far - all of the foundation work that nobody ever sees.

I've written an importer to read in all of the html score pages I have saved locally.  All scores have been imported into the database and existing user accounts are there.  The backups I have are from 2011, so I don't have anything that MepH did from 2011 to 2014.

You will notice the ranking in the screen shot doesn't have the scores formatted, nor are a bunch of headings in place for stage name.  This is more reflective of where the site is at.  I am just now getting data to display on a page.

I have shamelessly taken the site design from the-elite.net.  I'll be mixing in css from the old site to help make the new site have its own look.  Front-end web design is by far my least favorite part of this whole process and having the-elite.net ranking site as a guide is a big help in speeding things along.  I think YE's design works really well and I'm using it. :)  I spent two hours making that logo today and I hated every minute of it.  I enjoy the database design, writing the ranking logic and writing the data access portions of the site much more, which is a little weird I guess.

There is basic login and registration capability, but that is all you can do right now.  You can register and log in and then do nothing.  I still have to add management of time pages, password resets, etc.  I have to add moderator functions and a ton of admin functionality.  None of that is done.  I also have to add stage rankings.

I still have to work out the process by which players with accounts from the old site will access their account on the new site.

There will will be some new features initially, but nothing too crazy and I'm not telling you what they are right now in case I run into issues and have to cut them.  I'm mainly trying to match the functionality of the old site.  I am NOT taking suggestions for new features at this time.

For those interested, I am using a different technology stack than the-elite.net.  It's an Microsoft stack with SQL Server 2014, Entityframework, ASP.NET MVC 6 with Razor views.  I believe t-e.n is built on an open source stack.  I will have to get different hosting for the site eventually.

I do not have an expected date of when the new site will be available.  I have no idea.

It's happening!

EDIT:

Worked more on the main rankings today.  Got the stage names and categories showing, the scores formatted, and things looking cleaner in general.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:36:12 PM by Silent Thunder »

Samshady

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 05:02:02 PM »
I'm pretty entousiastic about the effort you put in re-building the elite ST!
I might have some contacts able to help you with logos & design if needed.

Anyway, curious to see the result now!

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 01:07:54 AM »
Quick update:

Last night I got the individual stage rankings working.
Tonight I have the top record holder table added and the main point rankings for all three games.

Tomorrow I'll be adding point rankings for each sub-category (Challenges, Arcade Amateur, etc) and then after that I'll begin work on player accounts/timepages/new score entry.

Anemptybox

• twitch
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 10:56:20 AM »
Looks great! I'd like to change my name to Anemptybox on the rankings to avoid confusion (if I can't change it myself once the rankings are online).

bothanspy

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 05:39:25 PM »
Yea man! Everything looks great. I really appreciate the hard work you've been putting in.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 12:02:10 AM »
Quick update.

I have the sub-category rankings working.
Started and admin section, mainly to establish a way for existing players to contact me and recover accounts.
Been working on the user/player sections.  The serious/boring stuff like password resets and the like.  Currently working on the player overview page.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 04:48:09 PM »
Nice updates!

Let me know if you want me to set up DNS for timesplitters.the-elite.net to point to your site when you're done. Or some other arrangement.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »
Got most of the user account settings that I've been working on the latter half of the week finished today, such as updating email, password, country, time format etc.  Also fixed up a bunch of stuff related to failed logins, validation and so on.

The first part of the week was spent on the player overview page.  Currently it looks like this:

The player facts section gets populated based on the data related to the player's submitted scores.  My profile is currently set to show all possibilities for testing purposes.  The latest times will show the 10 most recent submissions across all games.  I do not have a submission date history from the old site, so the scores are currently showing in the order they were imported into the database (in my case, the last 10 stages of TSFP).  There will be an ability for a user to update the date a score was achieved along with the same ability for moderators so that we can hopefully make some scores more accurate.  A lot of that is just plain gone, though.

System and version will be tracked per score, similar to how the-elite tracks system.  This will take care of a deficiency with the old ngc site where a player was only assigned a single system, which was an issue for players like me that played on PS2 and GC.  The old site also never tracked version.  Currently these are both set to Unknown for every player, and there will be the ability to edit existing scores to specify the system and version.

EDIT:
Got the player score pages working today.  Next up is the page showing details for individual scores and after will be the page to add new scores.

Also forgot to mention earlier, I still have the player score tables from the old scopinfo site.  I couldn't get the game system associations for each player since the tables have no headers, so I can't make sense of the all the true/false columns (they may not even be the for the game system associations) , but the usernames and countries were in plain text.  Using this, I was able to associate a bunch of players on the new site with a country, something that I thought was lost.  This opens up the possibility of having country rankings again. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:55:33 AM by Silent Thunder »

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 09:06:47 PM »
Is anyone able to get me a list of all the scores MepH added manually?  The scores I have are only good up until around June 2011.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 02:27:17 AM »
Is anyone able to get me a list of all the scores MepH added manually?  The scores I have are only good up until around June 2011.

This post has the latest details I have seen:

https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=21462.msg441729#msg441729

It looks like the archive file download is still available, so you can possibly diff those files with another known set to find what changed.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 01:37:17 AM »
Been a while since the last update, but I hit a major milestone tonight: I've successfully added a new score through the site.  :D

Here's the score entry page:

And then after a successful submission, here's a shot of the player score page:

And finally, you can click the individual scores to take you to the score detail page:

You are able to enter non-PR scores to help fill out your history, or enter your best scores per system or region.  I still need to show the score comments on the details page, and later I plan on being able to add links to youtube videos.

Next up I'll be working on the ability to edit existing scores so that players can correct the dates a score was achieved and add in the system or region to scores that were migrated from the old site.

Anemptybox

• twitch
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 10:26:38 AM »
Shaping up really nicely!

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 10:25:50 PM »
Update

-Edit Score page is working.

-Hi-lighting on the score pages is working, both WR and Hit List.

-When logged in, your current points and rank for each game now shows under your username in the header.

-Added PR history page and filtering options

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2018, 11:01:40 PM »
This was a busy week for me outside of working on the site.  Given that, since last update I've accomplished:

-Added player scores comparison page

-Added ability for a user to delete a score

-Fleshed out the new user registration page (it was very bare bones, basically just an email and password).

-Several bug fixes and some code clean up.

I'll be starting in on the moderator and admin sections this week, hopefully.

Ogran

• Lookup
    • Ogran
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »
Amazing work! As a reward, I'll add TS2 to my ebay shopping list when this is complete :P
Here in and of the dark, our city, it's streets and walls
Here we live, we are, inside our homes and malls

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 12:43:18 AM »
Still making progress, but not a lot that I can show.

Been working on the all of the admin/moderator tools for the last 9 days.  This is definitely the most challenging part so far, which I knew would be the case.

Registration approval, banning a user from the site, banning/unbanning a user from a game, and locking/locking a score page are done. Plus more bug fixes.  I'm working on score page rollback right now.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 01:57:32 AM »
Checking in so everyone knows this is still progressing.  I'm still working on moderator/admin tools, but nearing the end of those sections (finally).

I have score page rollbacks working now(mainly for usage for if a user decides to try and delete all their scores) along with an event log for each player that moderators can view.

I implemented a holding area for mods to place scores with proof issues until proof is provided, which will probably be the more used tool.

I implemented score edit functionality for moderators, which will be useful if/when we decide to back fill some of the score metadata for players that no longer use the site.

I also did a pretty big code refactor for something that I just was not happy with.

These sections took more work than I anticipated (story of a developer's life :) ).  To give an idea, I've probably written as much code surrounding the moderator tools as I have for the rest of the site.  Maybe even a bit more.  What's left to do?  I have a couple of smaller things to add to the mod tools, then some clean up in several pages, tons of testing(and bug fixes), adding static content pages (proof policy, staff, etc) and then maybe a couple of extra surprises.

EDIT:
Added a couple more moderator tools yesterday and the day before.

Today I added support for linking to youtube videos and showing icons in several areas of the site if a score has a linked video.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:26:10 PM by Silent Thunder »

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 09:15:27 PM »
Ok, it's been a month since any screen shots.  Here's what my TS2 scorepage looks like today, after I've added video links to some of my times:

Next is the TS2 WR page, with some video links showing:

Here's what the score details page looks like now:

Player Comparison page:

Player PR History:

bothanspy

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 06:18:17 PM »
Great work, as usual. Looking forward to when its live.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2018, 03:32:32 PM »
I've got all of the main features and pages finished that I want for initial launch.  I'm doing extensive testing this weekend and upcoming week and then I'll be starting the process of getting this hosted.  I don't have a hard launch date yet.  There's still a lot left to do, and I don't know what snags I might run into.  We're getting close though. :grinning:

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 12:52:44 AM »
I've mainly been testing the site and fixing bugs.  Things are currently looking pretty good.  I've also been uploading a ton of videos to youtube and also adding/updating the site to hopefully get the world records accurate at least.  There's definitely a bunch of non-WR scores that I missed, but we'll have to get those in later.

Getting very close.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
Unless we run into any major defects in the next few days, this will officially be going live sometime this weekend.

Samshady

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »
I'm pretty curious to see the result!
Will the site be hosted under the same web address as right now or do you plan to eventually change that aswell?

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
It will be hosted under a different address.

I believe TheFlash will have the current address redirect to the new site once I tell him what the new address is.

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2018, 08:04:15 PM »
It will be hosted under a different address.

I believe TheFlash will have the current address redirect to the new site once I tell him what the new address is.

If you want me to set timesplitters.the-elite.net's DNS records to point to your server and host it as part of "the-elite.net", you are absolutely welcome to do so.  I hope that you will at least consider this to grow the reputation and scope of the-elite.net.

But if you want it under your own domain, that's just fine too! You've done all the work on this and if you want to break Timesplitters out from the Elite bondage, you've certainly set yourself up for it.  If that's the case, I'll certainly set up a redirect instead.  And you're obviously still welcome to continue using these forums if you wish.

Hypnotoad

• GE
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
Does anyone know if Time Splitters 2 works on the Wii, and if so will they be accepted?

Anemptybox

• twitch
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure it works. From what I've heard, every GameCube game run on Wii the exact same way as on GameCube.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »
I actually didn't realize that some Wii models will play GC games.  That should be fine if your playing on a Wii console.  For the system, you will just submit under GameCube unless there's any differences I'm not aware of.

I just want to make sure that we don't get emulated submissions done on Dolphin.  That isn't allowed.

bothanspy

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 02:00:26 AM »
I'm excited.