Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 528 times)

Funky_Buddha

• ...with hook and scourge...
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Europa Universalis IV
« on: March 09, 2017, 04:57:28 AM »
Anyone else play this? It's a "grand strategy" game that has consumed my life for the last 2 years or so and basically involves conquering the world... but in a far more immersive, complicated and detailed way than any Civ title. Not for casual gamers! Here is my favourite Steam review of it:

"Sadly due to the rapidly globalized economy and world we live in, exploiting indigenous populations is not nearly as easy nor profitable as it used to be. But thanks to the fine people at Paradox Interactive, I can unleash the inner beast that resides within all white European christians and do my part for humanity. Once I get bored from ousting the filthy Turkomans from Constantinople (not giving it back to Byzantium because ♥♥♥♥ orthodoxy Pope #1 forever get rekt bearded priests) I can turn my furious and just gaze across the atlantic and kill lots of savages (not my fault those filthy natives were living on Burgundian Florida). Soon the whole world will be swathed in burgundian colors, or all thats actually worth ruling (not ruling africa because africa and lots of zulu rebellions plus mosquitos).

This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of time of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didnt like it."

Get on it for some degenerate times.

EDIT: I should probably add a bit more detail, because I want to. You pick any nation in the world and guide it through the era of colonialism up until the era of Napoleon, from 1444-1821. There are no victory conditions - your job is simply to survive. Along the way you, as the glorious all seeing and doing ruler, will select "idea groups" that guide the nature of your countries administration, diplomacy and military. Your nation will experience catalogues of random events that will destroy you. You've just got a fantastic heir? Oh, there's been a hunting accident! He's now dead. Here, have this veritable Henry VI, or Enrique de Trastamara as your next in line to the throne. Oh, and there's a comet! Your empire loses stability as people believe it's a terrifying omen! Cue rebel factions that rise up everywhere in protest.

Further to this fun, diplomacy actually matters. Don't have allies? You're probably fucked. Just took all of a countries land in a war? Here comes a European wide coalition to murder you. Just told an ally you'd give them land in a war, then totally didn't? Trust hits around the world and they cancel the alliance (but totally worth it of course, I only needed you for that one war loser). This is not to mention the religion, trade, warfare and all others mechanics that come into play. 25 hours to learn the basics. 100 hours to not die every game. 1000+ hours to master. But totally satisfying as you role-play history to turn this:

into this:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:01:42 AM by Funky_Buddha »

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
Sounds like an awesome game FB. But like you said, learning curve is insane. Becoming a grand slam tennis champion seems like an easier feat

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
Is this a single player or multiplayer experience?

Funky_Buddha

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »
Either, Flash. Though I'll confess to never playing any multi other than friendly co-op. Competitive matches have insane diplomatic situations and ruthless backstabbing, and I'm not cut out for that stress.

And yeah Cara. I've played 2000+ hrs now and still constantly learn new things. But it doesn't take THAT long to merely be able to survive and enjoy it.

vitorr

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
Me and Nari bought this on summer sale!

Spagooda

• GE
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »
I'm more of a Crusader Kings II fan, but all of the Paradox games are awesome and EU4 is certainly the most popular.

Funky_Buddha

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
I've burnt out a bit after my last two campaigns which took a looonnngggg time to complete. But conquering the world as Tunis reformed into Andalusia was pretty a good effort if I do say so myself:

Enjoy the game Vitor (and Nari)!

Narigutita

• twitch
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
That is nice man, gratz!
I still didnt play much, I tried to conquer Iberia, starting as Castille.
I could conquer Granada back, but Morocco blocked me, and I went poor. Then I conquered Aragon and got wiped by the Ottomans.

Maybe I need to learn a little bit more about sea units and trading.
-Narigutita

Funky_Buddha

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
Probably need to learn more everything at this point Nari :)! But yeah, trade ducats become very important as you move through the game.

Economy 101:
-Build temples anywhere that returns at least 0.10/month.
-Build manufactories and workshops anywhere the trade good is worth at least 3.00. Manufactories, while expensive, are the best things you can build as they also make that trade node worth more, so focus building them in your home node first, then downstream. You'll be rich eventually.
-Watch raising autonomy. While it can avoid rebels, a province with 100% autonomy gives you literally nothing (unless controlled by an Estate, where it always counts as 25%).

And that's it. Just rules of thumb though, don't take it as infallible. Also, there are lots of tutorials on Youtube if you need it. Anything by Reman's Paradox will be clear and useful.

Narigutita

• twitch
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »
Ok, finished my 5th game now

Started as Castille, allied France, conquered Portugal in 2 wars, got Granada back, life was good.
France got some stuff out of England, i annexed Navarra, could hold the Peasant war (this shit was tough) and started colonizing Africa. Had to get 10k troops on the Ivory and Gold Coast, then saw that South America was way friendlier, so I got 10k troops there and started swinging.

Then I lost, because i did 6 colonies, and aparently they are exponentially expensive, and the coalition took France and me out.

Really fun game man, bought 2 expansions today, will try the ottomans or Ming now, they seem powerful.

2 thumbs up for this! Thanks for the tips!
-Narigutita

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 12:08:17 AM »
I still haven't finished all the tutorials.