Author Topic: Virginia Meet 2017: Post-Meet Reactions!  (Read 680 times)

Thiradell

• Mr. Twishall
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Virginia Meet 2017: Post-Meet Reactions!
« on: August 12, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »
VA 2017 has wrapped up, share your post-meet thoughts here! A bigger post from me is coming soon...
nothin' moves me more than a groove that soothes me
nothin' soothes me more than a groove that boosts me
nothin' boosts me more, or suits me beautifully
there's nothin' you can do to me; stab me, shoot me

TheFlash

• Thingy
    • twitch
Re: Virginia Meet 2017: Post-Meet Reactions!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:19:07 AM »
I didn't go this year. My highlight was people using online chatrooms to share breakfast details to other people still in bed.

Grav

• GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:12:10 AM »
kart tourney was best stream(s) on twitch in 2017, and i dont even play or watch kart otherwise

stream layout was top notch and the competition was very good. drama from start to finish.

WR or Bust
Proof Policy Champion
Data Visualization Enthusiast

RTA & IL Rankings:
Doom 64 - https://goo.gl/icPRrW || Blast Corps - https://goo.gl/RppsSH || Pilotwings 64 - https://goo.gl/WnS8Sh

Elite Top 5s

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 03:48:56 AM »
What Grav said ^

I was really looking forward to this and you karters / anyone involved in setting up the stream / commentating fully delivered.

The Goldeneye tourney was also awesome fun to watch.

Congrats to anyone involved! (Boss & Eise get a special high 5 for their performances)
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Rützou

• Marc R
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »
Was enjoying the epic Kart matches and the good commentary. Was really proud of Boss managing to take a 2nd. place. What a fucking mad ICEMAN. I thought it was great justice that the world number 1 karter took 1st. place.

3p Goldeneye was awesome too. Eise and Patrik played pretty insane and it was close between them. Congrats Eise!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:09:28 PM by Rützou »

MK64MR

• twitch
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
Copy of my Discord post:
I've finished reading most of the VA talk in chats/forums now, first thing is to repeat the thanks from my victory speech. I had a great time with you guys, played less kart than I expected but had a lot of fun outdoors and also in the house. Would have needed 1-2 days more to do proper 1-tries like I'm used to at the Euro meet. The TV setup was ok in round 1 but too low in the final, nevertheless I wasn't very disappointed because of the VS and ping pong finals (21-19 in the final set against Stinson), simply tired and exhausted. I think Dan evaluated well his win and the whole side tournament, nevertheless his TT/BC performance was great and I felt like the VA medal I brought was a fitting reward for all the work he has put into the game. I can't win everything  :D , we'll have a revenge at next year's Euro meet anyway :) Once again, great job on the commentary/stream @kyleb30 @abney317 , appreciate it. I couldn't talk much with everyone - that's almost impossible for a group of 30 people - and still had some longer and interesting conversations with Drew's super-nice parents, Derek, Nash, Booth and others I had not met before on the internet. All the photo requests on the last day almost made me embarrassed, I felt honoured then while having been a part of the whole group before, which is exactly what let the time go by so fast. I surely forgot half of what I want to mention, you already pointed out great kart highlights.

Matthias
MK64 non-shortcut champion since 03/03/2013
Live stream: http://www.twitch.tv/mk64mr
Videos: http://de.youtube.com/user/MK64MR

no_control

• Zoran, Euro Kart Champ
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
It has been a great meet, i especially enjoyed WW. 2nd night was great, but our games on the first night were amazing. I also loved volleyball again and seeing Americans playing football Euro style. It wasn't really try hard, but i can tell right away that JT, Trent and Frankie had skill. It was great seeing everyone again and meeting some new people like Abney, Brian, Kyle and others.

As for kart, it was the greatest 4vs tournament ever, no doubt.
I'm a bit disappointed in my fellow finalists from last year. You gave me a hard time last year, but against MR you bow down. Didn't expect that at all. It is like you guys lost all hope after going against him. Jimbo at 16 vs MR at 43, the difference shouldn't have been that big. But i guess it is hard to face MR.
MR did great, congratz on winning the biggest 4vs tournament ever. Those finals were hard for all of us and you pulled it through, well done.
JT showed everyone how to do it against such a strong force in his playin round, i guess playing against Layne in the past prepared him for that.
Boss was a top American in this tournament if you ask me. Not only because he came in 2nd, but because of his path to the finals as well. He is only one of 2 people (Frankie as well) who had to face both me and MR in the R16 and his playin match was with Abney and Trent. He barely made it to the semis, but his path was the hardest.
Frankie also had a hellish path which included meeting MR twice and facing off with Dan, JT and me in R16 which was the 2nd hardest match i ever had (after the finals obviously). So close to the semis, i would bet my money on Frankie after that R16 R1 we had. He definitely improved this year.
How Trent didn't make it into R16 is beyond me, i watched the 1st half of his round 2 and he played great. I guess this only tells how strong the tournament was.
Other 2 Americans i think did the best job besides Boss were Abney and Dan. With no experience in 4 VS making it to the finals in such strong tournament is insane while also contributing with new strats. Dan was pretty much on my level until the semis, but a bad round can happen to anyone. I thought he was heading for the finals in the beginning of the week.
Jake and Dennison were doing great until they met MR who just suck the life out of them like from so many others. Dennison making it through the playins in 2nd place and going all the way to the semis was strong. I wasn't sure what to expect from him after last year, but he was even better this time. Jake had such a strong round 1 in top 16 i thought he was a lock for the semis, but it is hard to play MR. Came so close in the end anyway.
Kyle did a great job in the playins, maybe got a bit frustrated and unlucky in the R16 and that was all it takes.
Third was right there with semi finalists and a finalist in his R16 round 1 match. All his opponents but 1 ended up in top 8 so a pretty hard matchup.
Lovins came late and i think this was definitely important this year. He was still able to put a solid R16 together.
No one in the entire R16  (except Weatherton) had a round lower then 16 points which is amazing in my mind. As for Weatherton idk what happened there. He had a solid playins and then it was all gone. I guess it was MR again. Facing him seams to destroy people.

As for me, i played very well throughout the tournament. I feel i did much better then in Euro where i wasn't completely focused. Finals were also good, i made a few small mistakes, but it is hard to get it perfect.
It is definitely harder for me when someone else other then MR or me pulls in front which is exactly what happened in both finals this year. It becomes a choice between should i keep my eye on MR or switch. I switched both times and lost, but i think it was a good decision otherwise we would have just pulled each other so far down to the point of no return.
It didn't work those 2 times, but i think it would in some other cases. Of course even if you do good, you can't expect to win every time against such great competition.
Also in the finals i only had 2 wins and MR had only 1 in first 11 races. I think facts like these show how insane the finals were.

A very big thanks to Andrew and his family who made all this possible, i admire their hospitality and patience. I hope this tradition will continue and i would like to come again in the future.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:17:36 PM by no_control »

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »
I can say with absolute certainty that I did not have the same fire/passion in Kart as in past years. I don't know how to explain it, either. I put in the time, felt like I was a far better player this year than any other, but just felt out-matched especially my first R16. I'm not sure if I mailed it in, felt inferior, or what, but how I went from 2nd in 2016 (and being SO close to winning) to completely tanking in 2017 like Jones/Stinson is beyond me. I'm so proud of Boss for carrying the Elite flag, though!

I had a hard time enjoying VA this year due to personal issues, mostly because I hate my job and knew I was going back into a circus once I returned home. Other than that, once I forgot the home life, it was so nice to enjoy the lake again. I'm transitioning from a guy obsessed with video game status (top 10 at GE, trying to stay relevant at Kart 64) to someone who cherishes memories with Eliters and Karters. I genuinely enjoyed interacting with everyone on a more personal level this year. I talked to Zoran this year in one day more than the entirety of last year, etc. Playing with little Sarah was awesome too, made me miss my 5 year old niece back home.

Winning $125 in poker, winning a solid round of Quiplash, and winning a convincing round of werewolf gave me the feel-good "attaboy" feeling I seek every once in a while; and on the flipside it's still pretty embarrassing when I airball a football over someone's head after practicing 5000 times lol, or completely whiff on defending anyone playing soccer. I also marvel at Zoran/Matthias for their insane control playing futbol, was really fun to play something different in the athletic world!

Was a great pleasure finally meeting Eise Smit, my biggest GE rival ever. Congrats to him winning the whole tournament! The best 4P multiplayer match would be Clemens vs Patrik vs Eise vs Karl - all in their primes of course. I took 2 matches off of Eise but lost some silly tiebreaker :p

Doubtful I make VA next year as I'm likely a package deal for the rest of my life and don't really want to fight my fiance by dragging her there for another week, and our wedding is 08/18/18 - so in any case I prob will end up falling out of the iron man status. Nate is standing up in my wedding though as my co-best man, will be so sick! :D

Smit

• Oh, this is suicide! There's nowhere to go.
    • Eise
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:02:08 AM »
Some quick words from me. First time in the United States. First time attending a VA meet and I honestly could not have picked a better year to attend. The kart talent was insanely stacked and it was a pleasure seeing such a close finals (probably the most exciting VA MK64 thus far). For Goldeneye it might not have been the best year to attend but I still had some great time and I got meet my rival Jim and Patrik in some Goldeneye matches!

Our hosts Drew, Donna and Joe were absolutely amazing and very welcoming to us foreigners. They made a good impression on America's behalf!

Meeting Jim, Patrik and all other gamers with similar interests to me is such a refreshing experience!

DanBurbank

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 07:31:19 AM »
This was the most fun I ever had on a vacation.  Super busy this week but will post my detailed thoughts on the weekend!

NathanStinson

• Ab Aeterno
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
I am pretty busy this week, but will share thoughts and a few photos/videos later as well. Amazing vacation as always :)
Keeper of Jimbo's Pillow

toughstache

• Frankie Morgan, 2016 Karter of the Year
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »
I agree with Dan.  This is the best vacation I could ever ask for.  The Weathertons are wonderful people and make the experience just that much better.

It was great to finally meet Matthias, Dan and Abney.  I was also very happy to see Zoran.  Seeing their karting and speaking with them about their mindset has helped me tremendously.  Matthias' words still ring in my ear, "As soon as you do not think you can, you have lost."  Which reminds me of my Mother, "Can't never could do a thing."  (I am from the South) . I truly appreciate these guys and the work they have done in MK64.

Zoran is always a positive force to have in conversation at these meets.  He has encouraged me a lot and I thank him for that greatly.  I very much look forward to our future rounds.

Boss, you definitely shocked the hell out of me.  I am glad I did not catch you in any rounds this year.  I will definitely have a portion of training this year dedicated to Boss Strategy.  Again, very well done!

Dan, thanks for the Beethoven and the words on our controller style.  I already feel better about it.

Beck Abney was there!  I cant wait to see his improvements next year.

I wish Jones could stay longer..

I appreciate Stinson keeping in contact with me throughout the build up of the tournament.   I really hope we can get together and kart soon.

JT and I will be training for next year.  Did not realize he was so close.

Jimbo, don't even pretend like your not coming next year.  I will round trip abduct you and mega bus you back.

I cannot believe I forgot Jake!  I mimicked many things he was doing to improve my 4p vs strategy this year.  Truly appreciate his help too.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:32:45 AM by toughstache »

BRay993

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 12:12:32 AM »
Honestly had a blast in Virginia. Glad I went and finally got to meet the MK community. Blown away by how genuinely nice everyone was. Big thanks the the Weatherton's for the food and hospitality. It was a so much fun watching that MK final, the competition was insanely high even throughout the tournament. It really motivates me to improve, so thank all of you for that.

-Brian Ray

P.S: Kyle is obviously a wolf he's eating way too many of those damn animal crackers

MK64MR

• twitch
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
I agree with a lot of what Zoran summarised about the kart tournament. The final was one of if not THE biggest challenge I ever faced, I almost lost belief in myself at some point. I remember having eye contact with Zoki when everyone was within 1 point, we had to smile although the tension was so high.
Apart from this main event, I must repeat that all the activites were so much fun, I don't regret anything I did instead of playing more kart with the best of the world because I'm more sportive than a nerd. Going out to play tennis, volleyball, swimming in the lake, showing football (soccer) skills, learning how to throw an American football, eating my 1st marshmallow roasted in open fire and enjoying the table tennis tournament, virtual reality games with Josh plus getting an introduction to the Werwolf mind game; all this combined with my long travel brought so many experiences and memories I'll never forget.
Once more, big thanks to the Weathertons for all the effort they put in, I was amazed by their relaxed and easy-going mentality when 25-30 men were living in their beautiful house, that was beyond expectation. So nice to feel respect and honour on both sides while I was talking to Mrs Weatherton, she also knows how to prepare healthy food contrary to the American stereotype :D.

PS: I'm curious to see how many people start their time trial career now respectively who joins the PAL side, the 1-try setup in the living room definitely woke some interest.
MK64 non-shortcut champion since 03/03/2013
Live stream: http://www.twitch.tv/mk64mr
Videos: http://de.youtube.com/user/MK64MR

Thiradell

• Mr. Twishall
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 02:39:21 AM »
I had a blast, as always. On Monday night I met up with Kyle at the airport, walked out to the van, boom, Abney and MR (no big deal). After picking up Trent we took our time getting to the house, walked around a DC mall for like an hour and stopped at Chipotle while we were there.

Arriving at the house, there were about 10 people crowded in the sunroom playing/watching Kart practice. For me, the whole meet was defined by Kart. Playing in the basement, getting people together for rounds, keeping score on the laptop, doing practice rounds...by the end, I was definitely Karted out. I'm with Jim, I don't have the same fire as I did five years ago (even though I was glad to play well in my first R16). The final between MR/Zoran/Boss/Abney was incredibly fun to watch, but we probably could have arrived there sooner with less play-ins and such. I'm definitely in favor of shortening the tournament in the future.

Once upon a time, the ping-pong tournament was pretty hyped...Nate ran it under the radar this year and played a sick final with MR at like midnight on Friday, resulting in as good a final as there's ever been at VA. MR winning Kart and ping-pong was sick

Hadn't played GE multi in forever, what a shit game  :nesquik:

Overcooked was awesome, would've liked to see more people try this game. 1P-4P game where you're chefs in a kitchen trying to keep up with orders and all sorts of mayhem goes down, glad to try it

Poker was fun, would've liked to play more than one session. Had a couple fun hands but mostly just folded or c-bet after preflop raising to win small pots...QB and Brian Ray regaled us with some good stories

The first game of werewolf was as much fun as I've ever had playing the game, partly because I got to actually live until there were five left. Modding with DK was a lot of fun as well, though most games are really just a shitstorm of confused villa and overly delayed seer claims (as well as half the room not saying a word). Always fun to see new guys try the game out

Was awesome to try the VR headset, big ups to Nash for bringing that

Volleyball was awesome, I would've played a lot more. We were in the lake for a couple hours one day just messing around...would be fun to come up with some type of competitive thing to do in the water. No basketball was a damn shame considering the milder-than-normal weather, though I guess some guys took a few hours to play tennis one day. Tennis is really fun too

Getting to see Deel/Qwec was great, some of us ended up chilling upstairs for awhile talkin GE/PD, the old and the new (Infil's last PR was in 2001, FYI), and watching Trent fail Aztec for hours

Ended up chatting with the Weathertons a lot more than I normally do. Awesome, awesome people. S'mores by the campfire was dope

At the end of the day, like I said, I definitely wanted more time to just be there, chill, and do things that haven't been done before (zero board games were played for the whole meet, has to be a new record). Getting the Kart tourney done on Wednesday night and having to figure out what to do with two full days and no tourneys would be awesome.

Notwithstanding, it was super fun and I always really enjoy seeing everyone. When I got back to my job, the first day I was at work, it was just me and a pharmacist who I relate to pretty well. I shared a bit about the vacation and showed her a picture, and the main comment she made was that it's unusual and not many people would get to do something like what we do. "You guys all get along?" Pretty sure she had not the best family and not the best childhood; more and more, I see how lucky I've been in life and how you can't over-emphasize how great the atmosphere at VA is. Good times
nothin' moves me more than a groove that soothes me
nothin' soothes me more than a groove that boosts me
nothin' boosts me more, or suits me beautifully
there's nothin' you can do to me; stab me, shoot me

Joshua Nash

• I sell propane and propane accessories.
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »
I had an amazing time this year! Crazy competition in kart this year too. Was honored to compete with all of he top players. I want to thank everyone for the tips and knowledge for the tornament and helping me with submitting my first time trials. It was awesome meeting Eise and playing ge with everyone. Boss did very well in kart and destroyed me in the ge tornament. Was fun watching him play pd too. Shout out to Drew, Kyle, and Abney for running the stream it was great with the commentary. Everyone kept telling me I was the MVP of the trip for bringing a lot but the real MVP's are the Weathertons! I Cant thank them enough for their hospitality. I'm really looking forward to next year! :nesquik: