Author Topic: The epically surreal currently watching Films topic  (Read 82629 times)

Rigger in Chief

• SC Host
    • Austin Perroux
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016CommunityContributor
    • 2017CommunityContributor
Re: The epically surreal currently watching Films topic
« Reply #1850 on: February 25, 2016, 01:56:57 pm »
Monsters Are Due on Maple Street is an amazing episode
Rigging Contests One Round at a Time

Scrambler Fanny

• Shawn Johnson
    • GE
    • Shawn's Goldeneye Times Page
« Reply #1851 on: February 25, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »
The overall quality matched with Serling's nearly flawless voice overs make every episode a treat. There aren't really any bad ones yet.

"And I mean, I'm the GE champ.  Did you actually expect I would have a normal relationship?" -David Clemens

Rigger in Chief

• SC Host
    • Austin Perroux
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016CommunityContributor
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #1852 on: February 26, 2016, 01:39:58 am »
Yea his voice definitely makes the Twilight Zone go from 9/10 to 11/10
Rigging Contests One Round at a Time

youseinthehouse

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1853 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:15 pm »
Yeah, it's the best series ever. Some of my favorite episodes include The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street, Eye of the Beholder, Love Live Walter Jameson, The After Hours, Printer's Devil, Nightmare at 20.000 feet, Perhance to Dream, The Silence and It's a Good Life (though the It's a Good Life-segment of the 1983 movie is better).

I remember being shown Eye of the Beholder in a 10th grade English class to illustrate storytelling principles.  Great ep!  I think my favorite episode is Time Enough At Last, which we were also shown in school :)

Recently watched a good percentage of SciFy Network's New Year's TZ marathon where they showed every episode in the series in order.  Saw some ones I hadn't seen before.  Quite enjoyed The Gift.

I didn't realize until you switched your username that Serling was not only the narrator, but also the creator/writer.  Mind blown!

The Four of Us Are Dying is actually one of the weakest episodes.

Shots fired

Shadow

• The American Shadow
    • GE
    • PD
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #1854 on: August 26, 2017, 09:40:16 pm »
Just finished Gilliam's Brazil (1985) the other night. I absolutely loved the juxtaposition of dark humour with the menacing nature of the overarching bureaucracy. Nevertheless, it took me a couple of days to decide if I really liked the film or not. I've never seen anything like it but really liked Pryce in the lead role. Ultimately I decided I really liked it and have now bought the Criterion Collection Blu Ray.

Also watched Reed's The Third Man (1949) recently since I'm a big fan of Orson Welles. Really fascinating lighting and overall experience. Definitely enjoyed the film but didn't have a desire to see it again.

And since I'm on a Criterion Collection kick, also watched three Chaplin films (The Kid, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator). My kids really enjoyed Chaplin but I marveled at the effects and directing of this true pioneer in cinema. The Great Dictator was my least favourite of the three, though it definitely had its moments.

Shadow

• The American Shadow
    • GE
    • PD
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #1855 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:25 am »
Finished Babette's Feast last night. It's basically a movie about a sumptuous dinner and how it affects people who have been rather withered in their cuisine.

In many ways it really was a pleasureable film to watch. The setting, the characters, Babette's loving and self-sacrificial preparing of the meal. It was an experience unlike any other. I'm not sure I'd really want to watch it again but it was delightful for the first time, and I really do think food brings people together, there is something about good food that delights both the eyes and the soul of man.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1856 on: April 09, 2018, 07:38:10 am »
bumping this topic becoz im on a mission to finish off the illusive imdb 250

https://250films.net/users/homieonice

yeah that's right i even made one of these

lets do this !

Recently Watched:

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) - 8/10

The Conversation (1974) - 9/10

Annihilation (2018) - 4/10

It's A Wonderful Life (1946) - 10/10

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:22:23 pm by Elite Top 5s »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Scrambler Fanny

• Shawn Johnson
    • GE
« Reply #1857 on: April 09, 2018, 12:56:34 pm »

lets do this !

Recently Watched:

Annihilation (2018) - 4/10

Wowzers! I've heard almost nothing but universal praise about this one. I plan on watching it soon.

I watched Blade Runner 2049 a few nights ago, which would've completed my imdb top 250 (for the third time), and wouldn't you know it? The second I check it off and go back to the list, there are two additions to the list that I haven't seen!

Meh!

Both were near the bottom of the list, so I'm hoping that they drop off in the next week or so.

Watched several movies lately. Noteworthy selections:

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) - Quite good! If a good episode of The Twilight Zone had been made into a very good film, this is what it would look like. Great effects, treated seriously, and introduced introspective themes. Recommend.

The Brood (1979) - In my opinion, this is an underrated Cronenberg willy-nilly-fest! Devilishly gross, and I'd say, boundary-pushing, this one had all the elements that I personally look for in a horror movie. Kept me glued to the screen until it's gross-out, wonky-tonk, revelatory, wtf ending. If you like 'em gross and creepy, this won't disappoint!

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - If you appreciate/enjoy the original Ridley Scott sci-fi extravaganza, you will most assuredly adore this one. Stunning film to see with my own eyes. A score that enhances all aspects of visual story-telling (and increase your blood pressure), rich and well thought-out world, with a pleasant amount of twists-and-turns that Villenueve has come to deliver in his movies, this is one that I already want to re-watch! An instant science fiction classic for the ages!

"And I mean, I'm the GE champ.  Did you actually expect I would have a normal relationship?" -David Clemens

Shadow

• The American Shadow
    • GE
    • PD
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #1858 on: April 09, 2018, 08:07:16 pm »
I'm looking forward to the new Blade Runner when I get around to getting a copy.

I just finished Bridge on the River Kwai and am in the middle of Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Alec Guinness was spectacular in the latter.

Sammy Rodgers

• ClashingAshes
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #1859 on: April 10, 2018, 03:27:08 am »
Glad to see some love for the brood, definitely underrated.

I've been pretty busy with classes lately, so haven't watched much, but did manage to fit in these two:

Oldboy (2003) - watched this with Harry and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more knowing nothing about it going in, but it was still really engaging and had some pretty creative camerawork.

A Quiet Place (2018)- Was fairly underwhelmed with this one.  It's not terrible by any means, and has some pretty effective tension in some scenes, but there were alot of logical inconsistencies with the creatures that I thought were frustrating, and some scenes that just didn't make much sense at all.  It's pretty decent for a first time director, but I can't say I agree with all the praise it's been getting.

Scrambler Fanny

• Shawn Johnson
    • GE
« Reply #1860 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:04 pm »
250/250 for the third time! Not sure why my sig isn't reflecting... meh.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #1861 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:01 pm »
I just watched GREASE for the first time ever, and in theaters yesterday! I guess they put it back as a retro viewing for its 40th anniversary.
Soooooo great. Insane I hadn't seen it before. If anyone out there is just as unfortunate to not have seen it, I highly recommend it.
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1862 on: April 18, 2018, 08:23:36 am »
Brewster McCloud (1970) - 8/10

A true one of a kind movie... Apart from a car chase which stretched on a bit too long this was refreshingly imaginative, daring and free spirited storytelling. I admire how blunt the punchline is delivered, and how many ideas / actions fill each scene. It's one of the oddest movies I've ever seen, not really sure what else to say.
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Shadow

• The American Shadow
    • GE
    • PD
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #1863 on: April 18, 2018, 09:25:11 pm »
Speaking of odd movies, has anyone seen Brazil? One of my favourite films.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1864 on: April 27, 2018, 03:31:41 am »
Not yet but i've been meaning to ; )
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Ignominious Sin

• Ig-No-Min-E-Us
« Reply #1865 on: April 27, 2018, 06:25:34 am »
I heard this film called “Ex Machina” was pretty crazy.

“Suspiria” is is really strange and unsettling film, with its score being particularly unnerving.

“The Audition” a Japanese horror film. Also very disturbing. Not so much for gore but the mood and psychological implications.
The elite as we know it is done. I'm emailing my people. Enjoy a dead forum.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1866 on: April 27, 2018, 06:34:15 am »
Ex Machina (2014) - 7/10

Really good and really distressing.. i much preferred it to this years Annihilation. (same director)
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Shadow

• The American Shadow
    • GE
    • PD
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #1867 on: April 27, 2018, 09:26:56 am »
Nice! I liked Ex Machina, in many ways the film was intriguing because rather than being a film about how an AI interacts with humans, it was how humans interact with AI. I found myself analyzing the human (Caleb) and wondering if he was weak, being manipulated, if he just wanted to believe reality was a certain way because he didn't want to accept the alternative.

I think the two men represent the two primary pitfalls of AI. Nathan was something of the prototypical character who has absolutely no respect for AI as something "alive" or of value. He created it, he should be able to do anything he wanted with it, right? Caleb saw her as having life and wanted to treat her as such, but failed to recognize that as much as she looked and acted human, she simply wasn't, but a new type of consciousness entirely. Simple, but a really well-done film.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1868 on: May 06, 2018, 08:50:41 am »
Buffalo '66 (1998) - 8/10

I almost want to give it a 9 and might revise the rating in the future.. but i was really taken by surprise with this, in a good way. Really enjoyed it from beginning to end, didn't quite know where the story was going which is always a nice attribute in cinema, and was just overall pretty stunned by the whole thing. The performances were spot on, the themes / situations felt real and hit home important issues to do with family, neglect, negativity, love, relationship, dependency, jealousy, sacrifice, redemption.. the list goes on. I like most of all how directly the film communicated it's story, using some techniques and situations which could easily come across as dorky / pretentious, the film manages to deliver in novel ways to keep the story grounded in reality. A quietly powerful movie.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:08:30 am by Elite Top 5s »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Shadow

• The American Shadow
    • GE
    • PD
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #1869 on: May 07, 2018, 07:13:25 pm »
Finally finished Blade Runner 2049. I liked it visually. In fact, it was stunning. It had a stateliness and gravity to it that I loved and some of the scenes were simply iconic: the tree, the hive, the kiln, the wave crashing over the ship, the snow. Images that are seared into my memory.

Ryan Gosling was far better than I imagined he would be. It was introspective: what does it mean to be human? I would certainly rewatch it. That said, I felt like it had a really good skeleton but just not tons of meat on the bones. It was a pleasant experience.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1870 on: May 29, 2018, 09:22:06 pm »
A Woman Under the Influence (1974) - 9/10

This was quite a challenging watch, due to the intensity of the acting and uncompromising direction. Perhaps the most beautifully shot nervous breakdown I've seen on film? What stood out for me was how the whole movie, which runs close to 2.5 hours was comprised of very few "scenes" which Cassavetes just let run.. Very raw and real film. Great.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:08:37 pm by Elite Top 5s »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1871 on: August 28, 2018, 08:54:09 am »
Dark City (1998) - 8/10

This movie was recommended to me by a friend, who while urging me to watch it left a mild warning that the first 90% is a sci-fi masterpiece and the last 10% a disaster. I was then surprised when the ending came and left me feeling mostly satisfied. Dark City is an exhilarating journey set in a dystopian future with impeccable attention to detail. The cityscape in which the events take place is the star of the show in Dark City, everything feels alive with an energy rarely captured in fictional environments. There is an undercurrent of film noir and classic detective story running through Dark City and you are kept guessing what the intentions of each character up until the climactic ending. Without spoiling the plot I will say that my main criticism of the film is that it gives too much away to the viewer. I'm a fan of mysteries, and a really good mystery never reveals all of its secrets. Otherwise Dark City is a must see for anyone interested in science fiction, cyberpunk, detective stories, and even architecture / set design / movie-making in general.

Contact (1997) - 7/10

Rosemary's Baby (1968) - 10/10
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:57:41 am by Elite Top 5s »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Scrambler Fanny

• Shawn Johnson
    • GE
« Reply #1872 on: August 31, 2018, 06:42:11 am »
Dark City (1998) - 8/10

This movie was recommended to me by a friend, who while urging me to watch it left a mild warning that the first 90% is a sci-fi masterpiece and the last 10% a disaster. I was then surprised when the ending came and left me feeling mostly satisfied. Dark City is an exhilarating journey set in a dystopian future with impeccable attention to detail. The cityscape in which the events take place is the star of the show in Dark City, everything feels alive with an energy rarely captured in fictional environments. There is an undercurrent of film noir and classic detective story running through Dark City and you are kept guessing what the intentions of each character up until the climactic ending. Without spoiling the plot I will say that my main criticism of the film is that it gives too much away to the viewer. I'm a fan of mysteries, and a really good mystery never reveals all of its secrets. Otherwise Dark City is a must see for anyone interested in science fiction, cyberpunk, detective stories, and even architecture / set design / movie-making in general.

Absolutely adore this film.

clay

• GE
    • twitch
    • webzone
« Reply #1873 on: August 31, 2018, 02:13:32 pm »

I forgot about 250films, I was able to knock off another like 20 films just now.  And it reminded me how good The Seventh Seal is holy shit. 

Also I'm late but Isle of Dogs owns.  9/10

Quote from: HighScore80
Citizen Kane (1941)
Perhaps the most celebrated piece of mediocraty EVER!
Objectively the correct response.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:19:45 pm by clay »

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #1874 on: September 09, 2018, 11:05:51 pm »
The Mother and the Whore (1973)  - 10/10

LAS