Author Topic: Ask any PD related questions you'd like here.  (Read 39239 times)

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Ask any PD related questions you like here.
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2010, 05:15:00 pm »
I think it can be possible, insane though:
I did a lot of slow-motions of this stage a few of months ago. One of this was a 2:24 with a 0:49 Elvis; so if Rayan's Elvis arrived at 0:52, he can do a 2:28 or perhaps an insane 2:27.
Though that can be humanly impossible... Anyway I think the WR's strat saves just about 0.7 seconds, because I also did a 2:23 (slow-motion; Elvis at 0:48) using the WR strat. Don't ask me how I obtained that fast Elvis because I don't know. I think this stage is very randomly, but the slow-motion Elvis is usually very fast. I think TAS are better than slow-motion and perhaps someone improved my 2:23 in slow-motion, so they can probably reafirm my theory.
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2010, 07:45:00 pm »
slow-mo fucks up the timer, you know =p you save time by doing smooth turns and such, but you also save a tenth every 5 seconds or something, just for doing it slow-mo! It really shouldn't be used as a parameter.

CHUYATAKIZAWA

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2010, 09:14:00 pm »
Quote from: bke16
That first room strat is horrible, it's rare to get a good elvis with it. I think Elvis skips the remaining guards in that room or something when he's that fast.

Do the first room like my 229, I used to get a 54 Elvis all the time, sometimes even 52-53 if I was fast. My 229 had a high 52 Elvis.

Are my speed and the speed of Elvis related?

When I am slow, is Elvis slow?

Does Elvis do the warp?

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2010, 01:23:00 am »
Yeah, if you are fast with this strat, so will Elvis. Do it about as fast as my 229 and you should get atleast a 54 Elvis consistently. He will warp past those guards pretty much every run (from what I remember, because I was getting a fast Elvis almost every run)

BRIO: Yeah, my 229 should have been 228, I think I shot the cannisters slow or something, or maybe my strafing wasn't good because I'm not used to fullscreen. 
Live stream daily for 8 hours at: www.twitch.tv/swissrollz

AceCorp CEO | GE/PD speedrunner | Pop Music aficionado | Turncoat Trio Member | Certified Dam SA Instructor

CHUYATAKIZAWA

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2010, 03:46:00 am »
Rayan Thankyou!!!

CHUYATAKIZAWA

« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2010, 04:41:00 am »

Deepsea Agent

The position of the obj2 destruction thing is not understood.

Every time, is the search random?

Everyone's video is difficult it even if it sees.

I fail in the real thing even if it practices.

It failed in 53Elvis.(3)

help me

Matt-Cook1

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2010, 04:50:00 am »
Not random.

Try more

Practise long hard time.

CHUYATAKIZAWA

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:00 am »
All members why
Is the position that the search starts different?

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2010, 10:04:00 am »
Do you refer to the position from which you have to shoot to the 2 cylinders to complete the 2nd objective, Chuya?
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2010, 10:06:00 am »
How many hostages do I need to rescue at Defense - Agent to complete the objective 1?

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »
2 I guess

I was wondering, can't we just open both door upstairs and hope that one of the hostages on the 2nd room will punch the guard? I used to think about that when I was active, but I don't remember if that would fail instantly.

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2010, 08:42:00 pm »
I'm guessing hostages in that room can't escape by themselves. Otherwise we would just open that door through wall and only save the other ones manually and be able to use the elevator closest to firing range on both trips saving like 2 seconds.

Glozboy

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:00 am »
I'm wondering which position I have to shoot from on Deep Sea Agent as well.

I know it's just under the 6th beam on the walkway after the round room and I can hit them from there but not as quick as I've seen in Ace's video.

Is it a case of aim/fire/aim/fire or do you need to move between shots?

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2010, 02:45:00 pm »
You must move between shots, but it's not necessary to do it under the 6th beam, because I do it on the 5th. In the 5th is easier to me. If you want I upload a video showing how to get it fast and consistently, but like everything the most important thing is practising it houndreds, thousands of times to obtain it consistently. I hope this helps a bit.

Glozboy

« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2010, 08:07:00 am »
Thanks Deep Darkness, I'll give that a go!

Darth Vader

• You don't know the power of the dark side
    • Marc
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2010, 03:38:00 am »
DeepDarkness, did you use high resolution & switching guns in the hallways with the crates on your Investigation 215?
Once a heroic Jedi Knight
Seduced by the dark side of the force
Sith Lord
Leading the Empire's eradication of the Jedi Order

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2010, 05:02:00 am »
I started the stage with High Resolution: ON and Ratio 16:9. I don't change my gun because I don't know why to do it. I turned the high resolution OFF and the Ratio NORMAL in the last lasers set. I hope I answered your question with this.

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2010, 10:21:00 am »
if you change guns you create more lag, thus the bot might be faster!

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2010, 03:17:00 pm »
So, do you think I can obtain faster bots just changing my guns? That seems interesting... I'll try it this week, but my time is very good for me at the moment, I think I won't improve it very soon.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2010, 06:34:00 am »
On Attack Ship - Agent, do I must to run the fastest I can or I need wait a bit to Elvis? If I run a lot, Elvis doesn't complete the objective, but if I don't run, I can't improve my time. To improve my time, is it just try a lot of times the stage and maybe Elvis will complete the objective in one of the tries or perhaps changing the strat a bit?

Does the switching guns help in a different stage to Investigation?

Why is harder the strat about pressing lots of times the start button in Defection than in Pelagic? If I got it well I would improve my Defection - Perfect Agent a lot.

Thanks.

goldenvinze007

« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2010, 07:12:00 am »
Some say that the faster you are on Attack Ship the better chances you'll get a completion (maybe Elvis warps or something).I haven't played the level for a while, but I do remember that after killing the first two skedars after the lift, I used to give a quick look at the room I came from to see if Elvis was there.Helped a bit to get some consistency though you should just probably try to be the fastest possible : you'll eventually get a completion (then you'll have to pray that Elvis doesn't die after that ).

About Defection, I assume you're talking about skipping tech guy's speech.It's not harder than PII really, only difference is that you can't know if you skipped it right because he doesn't keep talking while pausing.So it takes a while :-)

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2010, 07:31:00 am »
Ok, thanks. I'll go the fastest possible in Attack Ship and I'll continue trying the Defection strat. Thanks.

Darth Vader

• Marc
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2010, 08:11:00 am »
Keep in mind that if you miss killing just 1 Skedar on your way, Elvis wont complete

Btw Deep Darkness, do you have aim?  
Sith Lord

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2010, 10:30:00 am »
"On Attack Ship - Agent, do I must to run the fastest I can or I need wait a bit to Elvis? If I run a lot, Elvis doesn't complete the objective, but if I don't run, I can't improve my time. To improve my time, is it just try a lot of times the stage and maybe Elvis will complete the objective in one of the tries or perhaps changing the strat a bit?

Does the switching guns help in a different stage to Investigation?

Why is harder the strat about pressing lots of times the start button in Defection than in Pelagic? If I got it well I would improve my Defection - Perfect Agent a lot."

On attack ship, yeah, it's preety much like that.. you gotta be fast so he completes at the WR rate, or else you will be stuck in the 2:20s or so. You can try to do it a little slower until the navigation room, and then run like a motherfucker. I'm not sure if that will work, but give it a shot.

Switching guns help on investigation because you need to create lag in order to have a faster bot.. I don't believe that there is any other level where you should do that. If it does, then yes :P

You can't press start too fast on pelagic because of the lag! Pelagic is one of the laggiest levels in the game ;/ Just see it for yourself. Pause a lot on Duel and you'll get times with very small gaps (like 0.08 or so). On any other level that won't be smaller than 0.15 or something.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2010, 11:20:00 am »
I'm sorry Marc, but what's that? I didn't understand this: ''Do you have aim'', and translators work wrong to translate complete sentences. Can you repeat it with different words, please? 
Thanks to everyone. I'll try to improve my times doing these things.

goldenvinze007

« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2010, 01:22:00 pm »
AIM is short for Aol Instant Messenger. Same thing as MSN, only older.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2010, 01:31:00 pm »
Ok, I think I understood this. My Messenger is: oscar_rol@hotmail.es, if this was what you asked to me. I hope this is what you were refering to.

goldenvinze007

« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2010, 02:35:00 pm »
Nah, he asked you your AIM nickname if you had one, but obviously you don't :-) If you want to chat with eliters, download AIM and create an account, you'll find everybody there (but nobody on MSN).

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »
Ok, I created an account: oscarrubik@aim.com. I think that is an AIM account (@aim.com).

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2010, 03:27:00 pm »
your aim screenname will then be oscarrubik. join chat sometime

just log in to aim, then go to the-elite.net homepage, and click on 'aim chatroom'. aim will then automatically open our chatroom. see you

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2010, 03:34:00 pm »
Ok. I'll do it.

TreAKAHotdog

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2010, 10:53:00 am »
can you shoot in cutscenes with 2.x?

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2010, 11:32:00 am »
What's the difference between PAL and NTSC? Is NTSC really faster than PAL or only in some stages? People answer very different things: some people say NTSC is very faster (I think it's true: you can watch 2 videos at same time of the same stage, one PAL and the other NTSC and you'll notice than the NTSC runs faster), but other people say that they do the same records in PAL and NTSC and the only difference is on Investigation and infiltration for NTSC and Deep Sea for PAL. If someone could, please answer my question (Better if more than a person answer, to make a comparison).
Lot's of thanks.

Answering to TreAKAHotdog: People says you can shot presing A button on the second controller, at GoldenEye; I don't know what happens on Perfect Dark. Perheps another eliter will answer you.

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2010, 11:45:00 am »

Trent: Not sure.. I might try it out soon. I tried out the holding speed in cinema trick with 2.2 on Air Base Agent, I think it worked but I'm not 100% sure since I couldn't do the strafe change at the stewardess properly and got like 20.0x doors.

Deep Darkness: PAL runs at 25fps, NTSC runs at 30fps so it's more smoother on pretty much every level. Lifts are much slower on PAL, probably by about 20% (the extraction lift loses like 2 whole seconds), doors open a bit slower and the Investigation bot is slower. PAL is better for Deep Sea A/SA, and Maian A (though that's faster if you are really fast at the start) and probably Attack Ship too. Other than that I think NTSC is better on every level.

AceCorp CEO | GE/PD speedrunner | Pop Music aficionado | Turncoat Trio Member | Certified Dam SA Instructor

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2010, 11:50:00 am »
So do you think that if I bought an NTSC, I'll improve a lot my times? Or just a bit? This is just for curiosity, because if NTSC is really faster, I'll probably buy it in not much months, but if not, perheps I won't buy it.

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2010, 11:58:00 am »
Definitely by a lot. I'd say you're losing about a minute (maybe less than that, but more than like 30 secs for sure) and tons of points from slow lifts, doors etc. NTSC just feels so much better than PAL on all those levels.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:00 pm »
Ok, I'll see if I buy it. I think I'd improve my times more than a minute, because now I can improve my times about 2 or 3 minutes with PAL without problems (Doing my easier pace records; the only problem is I'm not consistent completing stages), so it would be the 2 minutes plus the seconds of the lifts, etc.
Lots of thanks.

Btw: I think I'm saying it Ok, but I'm not sure: are the ''pace records'' records that I failed because of an objective or something?
Edit: Easiest*, not easier.

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2010, 05:12:00 pm »
you use "pace" on a situation like

I had a 2:10 pace run on attack ship agent but elvis died on the way to the final elevator

So yeah, you can say like "I can get xx pace runs but I can't complete them", just like you said.

Darth Vader

• Marc
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2010, 07:37:00 pm »
How come the lift ain't slow on attack ship then on PAL? PAL lifts is 17% slower than NTSC btw.
Sith Lord

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2010, 11:48:00 pm »
hmm isn't it slower? I thought it was

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2010, 02:03:00 am »

I remember YE saying Attack Ship might be better for PAL, not sure why, I forgot. I didn't feel any difference on the lift on NTSC though.

Also I tried shooting in the cinema with 2.x, didn't work.

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2010, 07:57:00 am »
Bully always claimed elvis would complete way more often on PAL as well

Darth Vader

• Marc
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2010, 02:15:00 pm »
I dunno what you guys are talking about when you say Elvis dies on a run because that has never happened tome. So it has to be rare on PAL or something.
Sith Lord

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2010, 03:39:00 pm »
Not die, just complete the objective more often. I haven't tried it on PAL since 2007 though from what I remember the consistency was the same on NTSC for me.

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2010, 04:39:00 am »
Maybe the lifts on attack ship aren't slower for some reason (they don't speed up like the others, could be that), so if Elvis is more consistent, then yeah PAL is better

Time was untied when set.

• Dat clutchness
    • Clemens
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2010, 06:05:00 am »
Pretty sure Elvis is supposed to live way more on SA/pa with pal. no clue on agent. but bryan was telling me that PA is basically unplayable on NTSC and that PAL completes fairly consistently (greg lewis told me the same)
teh peoples champ

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2010, 07:34:00 am »
hmm well I never knew about elvis dying less on PAL, but I always thought he'd complete his objective way more often! (not completing doesnt always result into elvis dying ofcourse)

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2010, 12:06:00 pm »
lol PA is fucking hell on NTSC, I don't know about PAL, but I remember playing PA and Elvis dying every time

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2010, 05:57:00 am »
Is there any website like this but refering to Perfect Dark?: http://quentin.meunier.free.fr/gewrs/rankings.php?pub=0
Not necessary similar, but a website where I can see the old World Records of every year.

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2010, 02:44:00 pm »
no, not yet anyway