Author Topic: Ask any PD related questions you'd like here.  (Read 39238 times)

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Ask any PD related questions you like here.
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2010, 05:18:00 pm »
I have a question about this time: Air Base - Agent - 1:16 - PAL: what was the timer (if someone remember) while you're pressing B to close the lift's door when you're entering? If no-one knows, what's the timer at 1:15's NTSC (I think this time never was done by PAL). If someone can answer this, please answer it.
Thanks.
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Darth Vader

• You don't know the power of the dark side
    • Marc
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »
Hmm i think FB did 115 several times on PAL. Not sure though..
Once a heroic Jedi Knight
Seduced by the dark side of the force
Sith Lord
Leading the Empire's eradication of the Jedi Order

Time was untied when set.

• Dat clutchness
    • Clemens
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2010, 04:08:00 pm »
Nah, PAL WR is still 1:16, which is pretty good as it requires at least a low 1:15 NTSC pace run.
teh peoples champ

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2010, 05:43:00 am »
Thanks for this information, but my question wasnn't the PAL WR. What I want to know is the TT for the lift (the exact moment where you press B to close the door). Can someone answer myself?
Thanks.
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2010, 07:42:00 am »
I watched FB's 1:16 PAL run, and although you cant see the TT, If you count from the point from where you can still see it, the TT is probably 0:46

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2010, 12:51:00 pm »
I suppose he wants the decimals D:

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2010, 03:18:00 am »
Quote from: greg k vbm
I suppose he wants the decimals D:
No, I wanted the second. I want it to know which could be my fastest time if I did a perfect end (I know I'm not going to do a perfect end, just to know).
Ok, yes; it can be 0:46.
Thanks.

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2010, 07:11:00 pm »
There's a large difference between 46.0 and 46.99 You can get either 1:16.50 or 1:17.49. so that's why I thought you wanted the decimals.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2010, 03:18:00 am »
Ah... I didn't remember about that... Ok, knowing it's 0:46 is enough to me now, but anyway, if someone knows the decimal, please say it to me.
Ok, thanks.

Darth Vader

• Marc
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »
Alright i have 2 questions

1. G5 Bulding Agent:  Did it happen to any of you, that Objective 1 completed for no reason when you start the level and the speech between Cassanda, Trent, etc goes on while you're playing.

2. How come the alarm doesn't go off in the vids? I usually have to kill 3 guards to prevent it. 

Sith Lord

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2010, 01:03:00 pm »
1. happens to everyone after some time playing. Sometimes it happens like 6 times in a row. just skip cinema, and restart.

2. with A, you only have to shoot that guard that is walking around. (and the guard you come across in that hall after 2nd keycard).

But you are probably talking about the alarm AFTER youve launched the camspy. In that case, you just have to jump off and get lucky no one sees you. cheers.

Darth Vader

• Marc
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2010, 02:29:00 pm »
Thank you!
Sith Lord

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2010, 07:58:00 am »
yeah, if it starts happening a lot of times in a row, just reset the 64! That always would happen to me after like 2h or so of playing

PDplum

« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2010, 09:44:00 am »
Hey all, I was playing a bit of cooperative with a friend yesterday when something happened that i have never seen in either ge or pd. I'm wondering if it was a co-op only phenomenon or if this has happened elsewhere.

Playing villa sa, and i was just walking through the level not speedrunning as he hasn't played in years and just wanted to get the memory and controls back. Just coming out of the first part turning right to hit the distant sniper i killed a guard who dropped dead with the "NOOOO" death, now the no kept repeating and the guard would raise up on to his knees fall back down and get up to knees fall down. We just stood watching the guard for about 30 secs as we were so surprised. The guard then got to his feet and started running away so i killed him (again!)

I've never had or even heard of a resurrecting guard.

Henning Blom

• Henning
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »
haha would be great to see a vid of that

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2010, 10:42:00 pm »
lol i've never heard of anything like that either, those really bizarre kind of bugs.

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2010, 01:24:00 pm »
Little question about Maian A NTSC.

I managed to play it a little yesterday and I found that sometimes the 2nd lift came quicker or slower (sometime I got like 1:53/1:51 or 1:48/1:47 with the same pace before the 2nd lift). I talked a little to Dark-Sim32 and he told me he remember that it's maybe had a way to "control" when the 2nd lift will be. Did someone know what is this trick if it's have one, of course. Also, I checked Kack's 1:46. I want to know if it's the faster strat on Ntsc (if we don't talk about Karl's 1:37)? Also, did the shot on the wall with the Dragon is useful to something, in the corridor between the 2 first big room (where you start) and the big room (where you throw the proximity Dragon). And did the proximity dragon have an impact on the lifts (1st and 2nd)?

Overall, I just want to know a way to got under 1:46 on Ntsc without using the Karl's strat. Thanks.

Edit: I also saw that Lec got 1:42. Is it PAL or NTSC?

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:00 pm »
142 is PAL! And I don't think there's anything you can do to get a faster lift with that strat, it's just plain luck I guess. You could go for the faster strat. It isn't too hard to get like 142 or so, all you need is a fast 1st lift. For 137/136 you gotta catch a very good 2nd lift also, but if you miss it by a second or two, you can still call it back and get something decent. I remember I got like 140 when going for 137.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2010, 10:21:00 am »
Quote from: greg k vbm
For 137/136 you gotta catch a very good 2nd lift also, but if you miss it by a second or two, you can still call it back and get something decent.   
I think I haven't understood this so much... Is it possible to call back the 2nd lift? Every time I called it, it was like if someone was calling it from the other floor. I mean: When I called the lift, it went to the other floor, not to mine... I don't know if you know what I mean... I hope to.
Well, perhaps it is because of PAL or NTSC? Or maybe my game is stupid...
Well, if someone can answer my question, answer it, please.

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2010, 11:55:00 am »
Hmm I'm not sure, now that you said it! I thought you could call it back when it was about to go down. But anyway, you can still catch it closing and get like 140 or so because then you lose 1.5/2 seconds to open/close it. Which isn't that hard actually. The hard part is getting a really fast 2nd lift so it closes on you, when you're going for 137/6 whatever. I guess Cedric can tell us, since he's got 136 recently!

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »
In this way, I have another question, Vitor. Did you closed the 2nd lift by yourself on your 1:37 or you let it closed?

And yeah Deep Darkness, it's the same thing for me, each time I call the 2nd lift, it's looks like it's open on the other floor. Probably because the lift was going down instead of going up or something. Maybe when the lift was just about going up you can call it back like Greg said.

TreAKAHotdog

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2010, 01:17:00 pm »
from my experience on xbl, you can't call the second lift.  if you call it while it's coming down, it sends it back up, and if you call it while it's going up, it does nothing.  you can only reach it when it's open or wait for it.

chuck

• GE
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2010, 02:51:00 pm »
yeah dont listen to greg he is just a noob! =)
" it's not like we need David when we have Rayan... " - Wouter Jansen

"The only Hall Goose and Clemens should be inducted into is the Hall of Lame." - Karl Jobst

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2010, 08:42:00 pm »
Trent is right.

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2010, 10:07:00 pm »
Lol programming mistake? What happens when you press it upstairs? does it go down?

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2010, 01:22:00 pm »
Ok, thanks.
Henrik: Perhaps when you call it and you are in the top floor it go down... I don't know.

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2010, 01:34:00 pm »
heh yeah, you can't call it back :P I don't know why it happens though! And brio, on my 137 the lift closed on me. If you are any interested, http://thengamer.com/PD/19-Maian%20SOS/ my vid is there. You will probably have a hard time finding how to watch it, but IIRC, VLC media player will do it.

vitor

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2010, 01:55:00 pm »
Just watched it with VLC 1:35.3 last decimal, so it was 1:37.3! I didn't know that haha

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2010, 02:32:00 pm »
Haha, yeah I already had your vid from a long time, thanks btw .

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Ask any PD related questions you like here.
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2011, 06:44:29 am »
Is there any website of the cheated WRs?
And the slow motion WRs?
Thanks.

chuck

• GE
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2011, 09:20:32 pm »
http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/davidfourn/elite.htm

i dont think it has all correct records but its better than nothing

edit -

my times page has some records that arent on the ranks, i believe the other guy has some too

"The only Hall Goose and Clemens should be inducted into is the Hall of Lame." - Karl Jobst

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:44 am »
Ok, thanks.

I need some TTs at some stages (for example, the TTS for the objectives). Iknow I'm not going to do a WR in any of them, but I think it will help a bit. If someone can, please answer me:
Chicago - A.
Chicago - SA.
Air Base - A.
Escape - SA.
War - A.

That's all. Thanks.

chuck

• GE
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2011, 03:38:05 pm »
i really dont remember any TTs but i have videos of

chicago SA 016
Chicago SA 0:16 (cheats)

chicago PA 017

i thought i had videos of chicago A and war! A, im pretty sure i have them taped anyway

the key for chicago is
slow motion
super shield + double phoenix for boosts
play as elvis - there is a bug that allows you to pick up the case faster
and the invisible thing so you can do the last part just like me in the SA video

for war! A, super shield + double phoenix for boosts, after you go through the first door, use farsight to kill the skedar king (other spots dont work)

air base A - i really dont know how matt got this time yet :P
escape SA - boosts + push john

good luck!

edit - in chicago, you must be invisible in the last part before killing alarm guy, and you cant look too much down when picking up the case

ERayzz

« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2011, 04:50:08 pm »
What are the odds for Elvis to complete Obj. 2 on Attack Ship A?

Matt-Cook1

« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2011, 07:27:10 am »
It's kinda buddhist. It depends on how much you want it.

Nobody could give you an exact answer. On PAL, if you go fast he completes "fairly often". On NTSC I think it's less consistent. Sometimes you get shit luck and he just won't complete...

Overall the odds are good enough for the level to be fairly playable.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2011, 02:00:43 pm »
First: thanks for the "Cheats' page", Chuck.
Second: Thanks, Chuck, I'll try theese cheats and strats, but now I wasn't refering to the cheated runs :) . Anyway, thanks: I have always wanted to know the cheats you used at Chicago :) .
Well, I was refering to Non-cheated missions. If someone can, answer my question about TTs.

P.S.: Chuck: I did Duel - SA - 0:02 and Duel - PA - 0:02 with just Enemy Rockets (perhaps slow motion too, I don't remember it), just for information, because in the page it's written 0:06 and 0:09.

ERayzz

« Reply #186 on: July 28, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »
It's kinda buddhist. It depends on how much you want it.

Nobody could give you an exact answer. On PAL, if you go fast he completes "fairly often". On NTSC I think it's less consistent. Sometimes you get shit luck and he just won't complete...

Overall the odds are good enough for the level to be fairly playable.

I guess I'm doing something wrong then. I'm on NTSC and Elvis completed the objective around 4 or 5 times in like, say 40+ runs?

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2011, 03:15:54 pm »
Maybe you miss to kill a Skedar or something like that? Do exactly like in the WRs vids.

ERayzz

« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2011, 03:24:43 pm »
Well, I basicly kill every skedar I meet before the star map room, including the two that are in that room + most of the skedars on the way to the locked door. That's what they do in WR vids  :-\

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2011, 05:50:23 pm »
... You have to kill pratically all the Skedars after Elvis start to make his shit at obj X. Those Skedars can kill him when Elvis go meet you for the final obj (after he completed his obj X).

ERayzz

« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2011, 09:22:25 pm »
hmm, I don't think I need to kill every skedar after the star map room, since Elvis survives better on A. Sure I must kill every skedar before that room, so Elvis won't stop before doing is job.

The main problem is that Elvis tries to follow me using another route, instead of going to the left side (by going through the Obj2 room, he continues to the right, and fights the skedar that is there, and try to make his way to the locked door... I believe that's something about the "checkpoints" that are created kinda randomly when we walk/run, so the NPC can follow Joanna. That's why I try to go as fast as possible, while killing all the skedar on my way to Obj2 room, and then stop (to increase the chances of having a "checkpoint" in that room) to kill the two skedars here. I should try to make a vid, maybe other players can point what I do wrong...

chuck

• GE
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2011, 04:32:25 am »
sorry deep darkness =P

and btw, the cheat records for duel are 0:03 0:02 0:02 i think the updater couldnt get lower than 3s :)
i could only get PA 0:03 with enemy rockets (no invincibility)

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2011, 08:11:52 am »
Don't worry, Chuck ;) .
P.S.: To do 0:02 you have to do a perfect and fast Obj.1. Anyway, I did these type of things a lot of time ago, so I probably don't remember well; I think I did 0:02... Well, I don't mind :) . Thanks anyway :) .

Matt-Cook1

« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2011, 04:26:07 am »
What you're doing wrong is probably just going too slow, Erayzz. People before you, including me, have had the same problem. The answer is always "go faster" :).

ERayzz

« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2011, 06:06:41 pm »
I see, so I should practice that part omg

wishiwasfamous

• derp
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2011, 10:20:29 pm »
Someone please explain to me how to not wait forever for the 2nd elevator on Extraction SA. I'm taking the slower route since I'm too n00b to get back to the Agent glitch door quickly enough. Should I be timing the cinemas or something? I'm watching Cara's 138 vid and I can get similar decimals and all until that 2nd elevator door where it's practically wide open for him after killing some bodyguards. It's a floor above for me at the same point :v

CHUYATAKIZAWA

« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2011, 02:12:21 am »
It was not possible to translate so much.

The cinema is cut first.

How many seconds arrivals is even the second elevator?

If yours is faster than Carathon

Please look at the cinema long

Please pass the same route as Carathon when it is slow

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2011, 07:54:41 am »
What stages (other than Deep Sea A/SA) does PAL gain an advantage or not have a disadvantage? Keep in mind I am, at best, barely average, so I suspect based on the Maian SOS wiki (http://speedrunwiki.com/Maian_SOS) that Agent may be safe to play there?

I'm interested in (if not now then at some point) having another run at this, but don't want to bother with anything I'm just going to have to play again when I get my hands on an NTSC console.

Thanks in advance!

Your Eliteness

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2011, 08:21:35 am »
Deep Sea A/SA, Attack Ship SA/PA and Maian SOS A are PAL advantaged.

Any level without doors or elevators should be pretty much the same (Chicago, Crash Site...). Levels with doors probably have a really small disadvantage on PAL, but it's not worth worrying about. For levels with elevators, 5 seconds in an NTSC elevator is 6 seconds on PAL.

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2011, 09:00:36 pm »
Thanks Ryan, glad to see you still remember after all these years :)

Sounds like there's a few options for me, so I'll definitely give them a shot. Do the recommendations here...

http://speedrunwiki.com/Settings_recommendations_for_Perfect_Dark

...still look applicable?