Author Topic: Ask any PD related questions you'd like here.  (Read 39237 times)

Infected Mind

• Retro Game Enthusiast
    • Alex
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Ask any PD related questions you like here.
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2011, 09:19:54 pm »
"However, 1.2's main drawback is

You can't open doors while on the run, because your right thumb is busy strafing. "

LOL

but yeah those settings seem accurate
AKA: l34ss l3oost
AKA: AlexWAnderson

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2011, 09:24:25 pm »
Awesome, thanks.

I know most people have solved that problem you're laughing at by holding the controller differently, but sadly I haven't :(  That's why I'm so awful at Facility, amongst some other GE levels.

Infected Mind

• Retro Game Enthusiast
    • Alex
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:24 pm »
I updated that part seing as its very dated. for opening doors you should try using your index finger "alien style" IF you cant do it let left thumb off analog to press doors. Marc does this alot and he is great at it. I do it sometimes for right strafed parts cause i sometimes hit R otherwise. Maybe i should remove my R button >_>
AKA: l34ss l3oost
AKA: AlexWAnderson

Your Eliteness

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2011, 03:37:36 am »
I always hold C-up with the side of my index finger, then C-left or C-right with my thumb. That means I can open doors while turning if I'm in left strafe by pressing both C-left and B with my thumb. Using this method I can also hit A with the base of my thumb when in left strafe.

When I'm right strafing I used to release strafe to hit A or B (if I couldn't release the control stick), but towards the end of my career I started to change that. I would temporarily hold both C-up and C-right with my thumb, use my index finger to reach over my thumb and hit B "alien style", then return to holding C-up with my index and C-right with my thumb.

Complicated stuff!

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2011, 07:07:35 am »
Just learn the standard index finger method for 1.2, it's not too complicated to learn and it'll help you a lot (it did for me at least). IIRC, you use your index finger for pressing A/B instead of your thumb so that you don't let go off strafing when opening doors and stuff.
Live stream daily for 8 hours at: www.twitch.tv/swissrollz

AceCorp CEO | GE/PD speedrunner | Pop Music aficionado | Turncoat Trio Member | Certified Dam SA Instructor

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:18 pm »
Noob question about Maian SA. I can get really rarely a quick door opening for obj 1 (I watched Otto 1:55 and the door opened at like 0:34). Does it's have a trick to attract the guards going faster?

CEDRIC

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2011, 12:10:39 am »
No, it's luck.

« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2012, 05:26:46 am »
On Infiltration SA, what is responsible for the robot interceptors not taking off after I've attached the comms rider? I have to run all the way to the robot to knock out the key card guy, which sucks. Is this maybe a PAL thing?

Henning Blom

• Henning
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2012, 06:06:46 pm »
Sounds like youre cutting cinema too early?

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2012, 05:14:12 am »
Yeah, you're probably cutting the cinema too early. Where you cut it depends on your pace. If you have WR pace up to that point, cut it where I do. If you're a second slower, cut the cinema a second before, etc.

AceCorp CEO | GE/PD speedrunner | Pop Music aficionado | Turncoat Trio Member | Certified Dam SA Instructor

« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2012, 11:46:10 am »
Thank you! Haha, thought that can't be the reason because I tested watching plenty of cinema (until the "this is the communications antenna" stuff) but I didn't know the cinema still goes on for like three hours after that.

If you have WR pace up to that point

Sure :D

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2012, 05:56:49 am »
Can someone give me some Target Times? I need TTs at:
Rescue (A, SA and PA): when the door of each lift is closed, when your Dragon explodes to break the wall, and when each objective is completed. In Agent, I would like to know the TT when you
War! (A): when you arrive to the first door (if possible, both strats: using Phoenix and not using it).

Thanks, and sorry for my bad English :/.
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2012, 11:21:54 am »
TTs for what? The WRs? If so, for Rescue they are something like this:

high 8 first lift shut (IIRC), 22-25 second lift shut (although 22 is very rare), 36-39 hole. For SA, the X-ray fade out TT is something like 1:25. I don't really know the PA TTs because I've never used the new strat.

Also, normally you get very high 18s or flat 19s at the first door on WAR if you boost yourself with the Phoenix. Otherwise I think you get like 20 or something.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2012, 11:31:26 am »
Yes, I was refering to WRs TTs. Ok, lots of thanks :).
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2012, 02:33:35 pm »
I have a doubt in Carrington Institute. I have read some things here (http://speedrunwiki.com/Carrington_Institute:_Defense) and I don't understand some things:
"In PA you have to rescue 6 hostages" and "the Devastator is used to kill the hostage, not the guard"... Well, You rescue 2 hostages in the floor above, and if you have luck another 2 hostages are saved (in the Firing Range room)... Well, that sums 4 hostages, but if you kill 2 more hostages and knowing that the 3 hostages in the black room will die, it has no sense... I mean: you just rescue 4 hostages using this strat, but at least 6 are required. How can this be? Could it be that I haven't understood something?

If someone understand my question and know the answer, answer me, please.
Thanks.

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »
2 hostages to be saved in the Gadget training room (top floor)
2 hostages to be saved in Grimshaws computer room (top floor)
2 hostages to be saved in firing range
1 hostage to be saved in the holographic room.

In PA you need at least 6 of them saved in order to complete the objective. Which means you can let 1 of them die. In speedruns you let the girl in the holographic training room die (she copies herself 3 times which are holograms, but there is only one 'real' hostage)

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2012, 07:01:47 pm »
Just a little add on here, when hostages are knocked off they count as "saved". So that's why you can see some lying hostages in the firing range room with an obj 2 completed. As far as the hostage didn't get shot, they're saved.

The Devastator shots at PA kill guards, not hostages.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2012, 04:44:06 am »
Ok. But, does this greanade kill both 2 guards? If it does, the shot have to be almost perfect...
Well, Ok. Thanks :).

P.S.: I didn't know that there is just a hostage at that room :).

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2012, 02:52:38 pm »
In Air Force One - Any difficulty:
- How many seconds do you save by skipping Jo's last sentence in the pressident's room?
- Is there any special trick to get a faster pressidet? Mine is always slow... In fact my PRs and pace runs are very bad...

Thanks.

« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2012, 03:19:59 pm »
- How many seconds do you save by skipping Jo's last sentence in the pressident's room?

Lol, use your brain bro.

Illu

• Proven Champ 2007
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • my Perfect Dark times page
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2012, 03:33:13 pm »
haha..

Just be as fast as you can, it increses the chanses of the president being fast too, and you wanna be as fast as you can anyway to (if possible) push the president at the end or open doors for him... the president is probably fast like 1/3 runs, wr speed maybe 1/6 runs.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:19 am »
Ok, thanks.

chuya

« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2012, 11:00:02 pm »
Defection Perferct Agent
There is a question.

I look at the same cinema as the person of 1:23 paces.
Or a little before you start

Why is he  It goes into the room 1:15~1:30

Is a sound cut to good bye?

How does he come early?

Darth Vader

• You don't know the power of the dark side
    • Marc
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2012, 11:53:41 pm »
Bryan, Illu, or ace would prolly be able to answer you that question.
Once a heroic Jedi Knight
Seduced by the dark side of the force
Sith Lord
Leading the Empire's eradication of the Jedi Order

Illu

• Proven Champ 2007
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • my Perfect Dark times page
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2012, 05:51:14 am »
It's luck chuya, but it helps if you go fast first, you want to get fast to the 2nd stairs after speech skip, then you want to go slower or he might never be fast.

« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2012, 03:31:53 pm »
Read Illu's video description:
"Kinda funny I don't need to save the pilots on DLTK because they have so much health that they actually survive the crash."
I guess he wanted to say that they survive their assassination.

could've gotten like 1:32??)

No :P

Al Gore

• SRT
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Twitter
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2012, 04:35:53 am »
In Carrington Institute Perfect Agent - Is the Devastator trick in the Devestator room consistent?
I mean, right after you got the Devastator, look up and shoot one, then a wall hugger if you leave the room.
As much cheating as Henning did in GE I don't think he had any time left over to cheat on his GF. - Illu

Marc&Ryan aren't streaming, but I bet they're practicing holes. - Wouter Jansen
Converter is official from Denmark. - DavidK519

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2013, 09:52:23 pm »
Any top-ish players feel like tutoring me? Clemens & Jim helped me out a ton when I re-learnt GE back in 2011, would love to do something again for PD (especially now that I'm playing NTSC).

First question; how hard/consistent is the new warp on CI A?

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:47 am »
It's pretty consistent if you switch back and forth between ar34 and laser as the boost wears off. You'll most likely get the warp when changing to the laser. The warp also saves the same amount of time on SA.

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2013, 09:14:35 am »
- Are there any levels other than Infiltration PA that I should put off playing 'til JAP? I think Jimbo mentioned Invest PA, anything else?
- Any tips for the first Defection SA glitch drop? I can't seem to wrap around the wall on to Cass's floor.
- How about feeling my way to drop between lift and last ECM point, or is it all intuition like the lift?
- Infiltration SA: how hard is to make it through the roller lift door using the button-before-explosives strat? Door is always closing as I hit the top of the ladder, but I know my RL shot could be improved since I keep dying if I don't turn around and shoot backwards. Does it not even matter if I can't make the final lift?

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2013, 02:51:11 pm »
Well, since I'm not a top player I can't say too much about Defection glitch and so. But I can say something about infiltration SA. Well, I play on PAL, but hope it makes sense on NTSC. If I remember, when I played this level, I got that first lift quite often. I simply did run a lot and try to not get stuck at any coorner. Also, be quick at opening the door, because there is "the best place to lose seconds". About the RL shot, you can do it consistently if you shot it to the right wall instead of shoting it completely down, since that way you will break all the lasers too, and you won't need to shot it backwards. I simply try to get the nearest to the left wall while I shot it to the right one. Then, you'll just need to practice it.
Well, hope this helps. Sorry for my bad English.

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2013, 08:33:18 pm »
Thanks for that DD.

To add to my list of questions, any tips on how to do Skedar Jump without the devastator? I've managed to pull it off once but not since. I'm doing full right strafe as close as I can to the left wall then tapping R really quick when I hit the other side, is this even remotely correct?

DavidK5

• Won't... back... down...
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2013, 08:44:05 pm »
You start on the left and then turn to the right in mid air since the right side of the bridge is closer. Just watch some old vids and you should pick up the technique pretty easily. I don't know exactly how the r-lean trick works since I haven't really used it much.
poor performance isn't a glitch - Wouter Jansen

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2013, 08:56:27 pm »
I've never had more consistency with R tab than without. You might as well get rid of lean trick and just full strafe over it. The idea is that you build up full strafe speed and make the shortest crossing possible. It's weird and could take a while to get used to, but absolutely doable.

to make things even easier, you could consider doing the wall hugger jump. It takes maybe a second longer to pull off that trick, but you can get really consistent with it and you should barely take any damage. just wall hugger the middle of the wall on your right as you enter the little halll, wait, run past the grenade, time it so it falls right behind you, get boost behind you and done. you'll have to find some vids where people perform the trick, plus learning it yourself is easy once you get the timing right.

g00d luck

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2013, 09:03:15 pm »
Not surprised to hear it's better without, I can't even remember where I read it but couldn't notice any of the best vids tapping R at all.

Wall hugger might be a safer bet since I still have a long way to go on that stage, I've got all the tracker throws down at least.

Not too many levels left to learn now, still having way more fun than GE  ;D Thanks for the help, hopefully not too many questions left
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:09:14 pm by Neo »

chuck

• GE
« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2013, 07:59:23 pm »
Jumping with R is so easy lol i think you just need to press R (maybe hold it for a while) when close to other side, and use Unnarmed :p i think the more you hold R it gets easier but you lose more speed
" it's not like we need David when we have Rayan... " - Wouter Jansen

"The only Hall Goose and Clemens should be inducted into is the Hall of Lame." - Karl Jobst

« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2013, 03:13:05 am »
On Maian Agent PAL, what is this sorcery that sometimes turns the 2nd elevator shut time from 1:22.x to around 1:17.0? That shit just closes right in front of my nose on my best runs. I witnessed a correlation between shooting the guard at the end of the long corridor after the 1st elevator exit (usually to avoid a backboost) and this happening, but I don't see the causality other than the lift being not too far from that point. Anyone knows?

Al Gore

• SRT
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Twitter
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2013, 04:41:21 am »
I can't play PAL PD for a while but the only thing I can think of be fast at the start and hope for boosts, and try to watch or watch a bit/skip some part of cinema.

What sorcery 1st elevator you get? Then you can decide which part of the cinema you skip, but you have to get the same speed everytime - that's the only bad thing.
And be lucky that you don't get backboosted after 1st elevator. I think shooting the guard costs even more time, but on SA/PA it's needed due to health problems.
As much cheating as Henning did in GE I don't think he had any time left over to cheat on his GF. - Illu

« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08:55 am »
Thank you but that doesn't help because I know the level very well myself. I got about 15 x 1:40 and blew many 1:39s. The phenomon I'm talking about would require ~ mid 1:38 pace to catch the 2nd lift which is pretty crazy while usually up to lame 1:44 speed is sufficient.

chuck

• GE
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2013, 03:30:37 pm »
you look retarded writting "sorcerer" everywhere

"The only Hall Goose and Clemens should be inducted into is the Hall of Lame." - Karl Jobst

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2013, 06:55:30 pm »
How is it retarded?
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

Al Gore

• SRT
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Twitter
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2013, 05:26:27 am »
On Escape at the end, how do you activate the first computer before the song changes to Escape (X) and then activating the other computer and still completing the level?
I never got it to work, also when I got Jon on the ramp.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2013, 09:16:40 am »
You have to press B more than once. just press B 2 or 3 times and run to the other computer.
Hope this helps.

Al Gore

• SRT
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Twitter
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2013, 10:48:35 am »
Thanks, will try it after some Skedar Ruins SA.

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #244 on: March 17, 2013, 04:49:12 pm »
I have a few questions about this run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOds9rMbkzo

1. is it real i.e. legit? If yes, how come it isn't it ranked already?
2. who is the player? Is it someone on the ranks already?

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »
... Just gonna say my opinion (I recognize I'm a bit skeptical...):
I have watched the video and I don't think it's legit... To start, there are a lot of speed changes, I mean, sometimes everything goes very slow and suddenly it goes like in normal speed, which makes me think that the level was played on slow motion mode and the video is simply played higher speed. Also, the fact that there is no sound is a bit suspicious... Also, some guards have a really slow death (I mean, they fall very slow to the floor)... Plus, the player hits every guard that rolls on the floor, and lol, never presses pause? Also, it seems like in the statistics there are a lot of shots and very little accuracy, but just my impression...
Well, the run seems facible and possible but there are some facts that make me think that it's a slow-motion...

Well, hope I'm wrong... :/...

chuck

• GE
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2013, 02:05:33 am »
I think you are right! He is too good with head shots to be true lol

Henning Blom

• Henning
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:37 pm »
Definitely a sped up slow mo run.

« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2013, 03:03:12 pm »
This is the german PD version and the end screen says

Code: [Select]
Missions-Status:          Komplettiert
Status der Agentin:           Überlebt

which is equivalent to

Mission Status:              Completed
Agent Status:                   Active

as opposed to

Mission Status:                Cheated
Agent Status:               Dishonored

So this run did not use the conventional ingame slo-mo cheat.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:10:51 pm by OHMSS »

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2013, 06:22:38 pm »
I have a few questions about this run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOds9rMbkzo

1. is it real i.e. legit? If yes, how come it isn't it ranked already?
2. who is the player? Is it someone on the ranks already?

this is the worst fake in the history of the elite. Its 10x worse than Hennings frigate, and yes he was right, 1000000% confirmed speed up slomo vid