Author Topic: Ask any PD related questions you'd like here.  (Read 39291 times)

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
Re: Ask any PD related questions you'd like here.
« Reply #500 on: July 20, 2017, 04:30:53 am »
Yes...why thank you my good sir

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #501 on: August 05, 2017, 04:12:47 am »
OK so ive noticed that other player seem to be able to speech skip even if they missed getting it from the very beginning. Namely in pelagic ll. Lord nows ive tryd everything but it just never works for me and to be  quite frank its really starting to PMO! Any tips on this would be most appreciated. Thanks

SGT RAGEQUIT

• Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud
« Reply #502 on: August 05, 2017, 06:40:38 am »
If you're talking about the first skip, that should be the easiest one - if you happen to pause too early, you can immediately unpause and repause. If you pause late (after Jo starts talking), you have to wait for a few seconds in the pause menu until the realtime duration of the dialogue elapses, then pause and repause immediately to try to skip it. I ramble about the skips for a while in my P2 tutorial (12ish minutes in) -

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #503 on: August 05, 2017, 07:30:45 am »
Very nice. Thanks man

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #504 on: August 07, 2017, 05:21:35 am »
I was curious to what are the methods for hopefully attaining faster bots in investigation SA. Its weird because before I was even fast enough to make the fast bot, it seemed to happen all the time. Now that im fast enough ive been getting squat. Maybe somebody wouldnt mind breaking down the level a little for me? Like what does creating lag by switching weapons do? and firing everywhere is to have the guards open the doors for the bot ya? And seems weird but I myself have noticed almost no difference in firing or not firing the whole time. Anyways any inside knowledge or tips would be most appreciated

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #505 on: August 07, 2017, 09:20:24 am »
It's a shit level more or less.

Essentially, you just need the bot to warp through all the doors it goes though and not have any segment trouble on its way to the lasers. Copy what I did, it's simple and low on technical skill, gets fast enough paces, and shouldn't take too long. That said, you just have to grind out the luck. If you want a wicked time, go for the triple laser skip strat.

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #506 on: August 07, 2017, 09:54:05 am »
Haha I was hoping that wasnt it but I figured. And all your runs are my bases for all the times I've gotten up until now lol  :smokin:

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #507 on: August 15, 2017, 06:12:08 pm »
Does anyone now where the web archived for perfect dark 2002 might be like this one here for goldeneye?

https://web.archive.org/web/20021014032557/http://www.the-elite.net:80/GE/elite.htm

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:35:03 pm by xXPunJaBXx »

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #508 on: August 15, 2017, 06:46:16 pm »
It might not even exist on web archive.

If your purpose is just seeing the old WRs then look no further than Rare WR Database and Rare LTK WR Database.

Also, I recommend you get on Discord to ask your questions because you will get quicker answers from more people and clog up the forum less.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #509 on: August 19, 2017, 10:42:00 pm »
I don't know if there is any specific topic to ask this question, so I'll put it here. Sorry if it's not the right topic:

I've read that there are quality requirements for the video proofs and stuff, and it's been ages since I wanted a new capture card.

Can anyone please tell me if there are cheap-ish capture cards verifying the following?:
- It has to record at least with the quality required for video proofs (Videos must be in full color, 360p+, 25 FPS+, have no low bitrate artifacting, no cropping, and no frame blending) (To be honest, I don't know what any of those things mean after the full color one).
- It has to work with a PAL N64 and with a Windows 10 laptop.
- If possible, not very hard to use, since I have basically 0 knowledge about technology.

Also, it would be really great if you could provide links of online shops where I can buy the capture card from Spain. If you can't, don't worry, I'll try to find it.

Thanks in advance.
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

sɐm

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #510 on: August 21, 2017, 09:47:30 am »
I don't know if there is any specific topic to ask this question, so I'll put it here. Sorry if it's not the right topic:

I've read that there are quality requirements for the video proofs and stuff, and it's been ages since I wanted a new capture card.

Can anyone please tell me if there are cheap-ish capture cards verifying the following?:
- It has to record at least with the quality required for video proofs (Videos must be in full color, 360p+, 25 FPS+, have no low bitrate artifacting, no cropping, and no frame blending) (To be honest, I don't know what any of those things mean after the full color one).
- If possible, not very hard to use, since I have basically 0 knowledge about technology.

Also, it would be really great if you could provide links of online shops where I can buy the capture card from Spain. If you can't, don't worry, I'll try to find it.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.es/Diamond-Multimedia-VC500-One-Touch/dp/B000VM60I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503323154&sr=8-1&keywords=diamond+vc500

This should work, but you would need splitters to split the game signal from your console to your tv as well as the capture card

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #511 on: August 21, 2017, 12:36:11 pm »

Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.es/Diamond-Multimedia-VC500-One-Touch/dp/B000VM60I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503323154&sr=8-1&keywords=diamond+vc500

This should work, but you would need splitters to split the game signal from your console to your tv as well as the capture card

Okay, thank you!
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #512 on: August 31, 2017, 09:18:23 pm »
I have a new question regarding the capture issue. Please, I hope someone can answer. Thanks in advance.

I've bought the capture card and I've been testing it for 3 or 4 days, but I've found that the audio is not recorded properly, some strange sound appears every now and then in all of my videos. I've checked all the cable connections, and I've tried a different software, and the problem is still there.

Take this video as an example. In 0:02, more or less, a kind of electric sound appears suddenly (I don't know how to describe it, it sounds like a welder to me...). I have a few questions about this, I hope someone can answer them, since I'm too bad with technology:

1) Has anyone had that issue while capturing?
2) Is it a hardware problem or a software problem?
3) Is there any known way to fix it? It's the second capture card that I've had, and both have had audio problems... I've spent already more money than I wanted just to play, and this starts to be really annoying.

And now, one last important question: are video proofs accepted in PD/GE if that shitty sound appears sometimes? Because I sincerely don't know what else to do about it, and if they aren't accepted the only option I might have is to retire from PD and GE forever, I think, and I don't really want that to happen.

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #513 on: September 01, 2017, 07:05:08 am »
What are you using to capture? I'd guess that it would be usually either a hardware problem (bad product in general) or some cables not properly connected, but some expert might give you more input on that (such as dsx).

Yeah a mod could give you a better answer, but the proof policy states "In-game sound effects are audible on the video and are not significantly delayed.". So a weird sound issue every now and then wouldn't be a problem, I believe.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #514 on: September 01, 2017, 09:29:20 am »
Thanks.

What are you using to capture?
Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device. As for the software, I've been using CyberLink Power Director, and I've tried also ArcSoft ShowBiz.

Yeah a mod could give you a better answer, but the proof policy states "In-game sound effects are audible on the video and are not significantly delayed.". So a weird sound issue every now and then wouldn't be a problem, I believe.
Okay, thank you. I hope a mod answers too just to be sure.

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #515 on: September 01, 2017, 11:50:38 am »
See if you can adjust the audio quality somehow to see if that weird sound happens again. And is it in specific situations (such as Infiltration gate like you sent)? Also most people use OBS/Amarec for recording, you might want to try those too. Personally it took me a little while to fix some audio desync issue with Dazzle, in the end it was just adjusting some configs (I use OBS).

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #516 on: September 02, 2017, 09:56:32 am »
See if you can adjust the audio quality somehow to see if that weird sound happens again.
I confirm the sound appears always, no matter what options I change.

And is it in specific situations (such as Infiltration gate like you sent)?
No. The sound appears right in the beginning of every video (I don't mind about that one, I can wait 20ish seconds until it stops and start playing then), but then it reappears randomly throughout the video. I thought it was when the audio became strong (like explosions, or K7 avengers), but no, it looks like it's random.

Also most people use OBS/Amarec for recording, you might want to try those too. Personally it took me a little while to fix some audio desync issue with Dazzle, in the end it was just adjusting some configs (I use OBS).
I will try to find Amarec then, but if it's a hardware problem, and I think it has to be, it won't help me, I think.

Thanks for the reply.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #517 on: September 29, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »
The following lines might be a little long, so feel completely free to ignore them. I just hope that at least one person will read them.

Spoiler
Today I felt like playing Perfect Dark. I turned the N64 on, and apparently all of my files were gone. Yes, just like that. I restarted a few times, because that shit sometimes gets fixed itself, but nothing, the files are lost forever.

After the big shock that was for me, I attempted to create a new file, and it wwouldn't let me because apparently 'Game Pak is full'. I mean... What the hell? Is this normal??? I knew files can sometimes get erased, it had happened to me years ago, but not being able even to restart? Never...

I really don't know what's going on, but it looks simple, I can't play this game on this cartridge anymore. I've also tried to save a new file on a Controller Pak that I've found, and when I was playing Villa, it told me an error message, and erased all the progress again, and since then it won't let me use that Controller Pak.

I know no one wants to read huge posts, but I feel like if I don't express what I feel I will explode so badly... I know this is only a videogame, but damn it, it was one of the very few things that have ever motivated me in my entire life... I suffer from severe depression (for real, I mean... Since years ago already. My profile pic is the text "LIFE SUCKS" written with bullets in the floor of Villa...), and I had a tough childhood, and this stupid game was one of those very very few things that I ever felt like doing when I felt bad... Like literally, I hardly ever like something... I know I'm not that good at the game, but I liked it, and I've lost all the progress... All of it... 15ish years... My times, my brothers' times, all the challenges beat by 1-4 players, my multiplayer rank, my Duel 3/6/9... I've lost everything, and plus I can't even play, it won't let me even start a new game. I feel quite empty. This summer I had already lost 2 important things in my life (I mean important stuff, more than a videogame), here comes the third one... It's a never-ending shit.

I don't mind if no one ever reads this, I know I'm on the 'ignore list' of some people in here... But I needed to write that somewhere, and this place looked good to do it. Feel free to delete my post. Requiescat in pace, my partner...

If you have read the whole text, thank you for your effort and time, and sorry for the length and the bad English.

I know shit about internet, by the way, I'd appreciate if someone could tell me of a trustworthy website where I can buy from Spain a PAL Perfect Dark cart (I can't afford it right now anyway, but maybe in the future I can at some point). Thank you.

Lark

• Español learner
    • Lark
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #518 on: September 29, 2017, 01:39:17 pm »
Hey, Óscar. Sorry that things aren't going well. I hope things improve soon. You should browse for a PAL cartridge on Ebay. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgoldeneye+007+cartridge+%28PAL%29.TRS0&_nkw=goldeneye+007+cartridge+%28PAL%29&_sacat=0
Embrace the grind.

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #519 on: September 29, 2017, 02:20:48 pm »
I just recently got a PD PAL from Spain (all the way to Brazil) on ebay by 9 euros plus shipping. What really helped was adding a 'perfect dark pal -zero' in the Advanced search on ebay and save it as 'favorite' or something. That way I'd get notifications by e-mail whenever a new PD PAL was available. You may want to start looking asap until you find a cheap one :P

Also carts will eventually die anyway.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #520 on: September 29, 2017, 02:40:54 pm »
Thank you, I'll look for it when I have money.

Also carts will eventually die anyway.

Yeah, it's a shame... But it didn't have to happen already, when I'm that weak, it just doesn't feel right... Not to mention that I still could improve really a lot, and there was always new stuff to do, like Attack Ship DLTK...

Well, thanks for the so fast replies.

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #521 on: February 09, 2018, 03:07:45 am »
Does having auto aim off make you less likely to actually disarm enemies if you hit them? I noticed, playing Chicago SA, that with auto aim off I would hit the first guard but not get his CMP much more often than with auto aim on. I wanted to know if this is just my mind playing tricks on me.
PD Proof Moderator

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #522 on: February 09, 2018, 06:12:46 am »
That shouldn't be a thing.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #523 on: February 16, 2018, 04:27:08 pm »
Is there any real understanding of why Elvis completes far more often on Attack Ship on PAL over NTSC? If we had this piece of information, I think it would help significantly for us players without PAL. :v

Henrik?

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #524 on: February 17, 2018, 12:03:24 pm »
No idea unfortunately.

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #525 on: April 03, 2018, 01:04:31 pm »
What exactly trigger Jonathan's animation that will later trigger the explosion timing? I mean the target time around 54-56 for low 22x paces. It's when he says his line "Right we're near..", when the music changes or when he gets close to the hole? The best scenario possible is when he runs really fast towards you (assuming you're waiting by the wall), and says his line at the same time as the music changes. But sometimes he is fast until he comes to the room, but e.g he says his line in the middle of the room and WALKS towards the wall. What I'm asking here if that's nearly the same as if he ran like a fucker (that is, triggered by when he say his line).

PS: can someone please stick this?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:16:11 pm by vitorr »

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #526 on: April 03, 2018, 04:06:47 pm »
When the music changes. If you want to get experimental, you can use the barrels to block him and delay his start.

wishiwasfamous

• derp
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #527 on: July 06, 2018, 06:19:15 pm »
I have never been good at Attack Ship PA. I beat the level once years ago so I could get my overall time ranking cut significantly. I want to do that again and feel like I could make a sizable dent into my current PR.

I feel like my hardest obstacle is killing the Skedar quickly: The one by the first elevator, the two after the lift after you open the hangar doors, and the ones on your way to sabotaging the engine systems. The auto-aim seems like it's too slow, and the Skedar always get the first shot off. Are there any tips to consistently killing skedar (one charge-up shot from the Mauler, not using a whole clip of the AR34) and not taking a ton of damage every time?

Thanks!

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #528 on: July 06, 2018, 06:47:53 pm »
I have never been good at Attack Ship PA. I beat the level once years ago so I could get my overall time ranking cut significantly. I want to do that again and feel like I could make a sizable dent into my current PR.

I feel like my hardest obstacle is killing the Skedar quickly: The one by the first elevator, the two after the lift after you open the hangar doors, and the ones on your way to sabotaging the engine systems. The auto-aim seems like it's too slow, and the Skedar always get the first shot off. Are there any tips to consistently killing skedar (one charge-up shot from the Mauler, not using a whole clip of the AR34) and not taking a ton of damage every time?

Thanks!

The one by the lift you go down can be dealt with by either just going straight at it and firing your mauler right at it very quickly, or you can close the lift door right as you're getting into it

The next pair of skedars I move straight at the right one and fire when the autoaim is on it, and then I go up to the shield console thing to press it or whatever, then when I come back down I fire straight at the second skedar that usually comes down the ramp towards you carefully, hopefully before he attacks/fires at you

The rest of the skedars I believe consistent positioning, being careful, stockpiling on mauler ammo before the lift is ready to close and pause buffering helps a lot with your shots, also some of the skedars its better to just use AR34 (specifically the ones in the upstairs blue hallways before obj 4)

also waiting for elvis to open the door at the console room before you leave makes obj 3 consistent on NTSC and (not sure) reduces the chances elvis goes upstairs a different way than you which usually results in him dying to skedars

here are me and flicker's recent PRs on the level; I took mine pretty safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6dKVhXtFdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMB7zD6_GcE

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #529 on: September 19, 2018, 03:16:44 am »
How does the Pelagic II barrier skip work? I got it once but I'm not sure how.
90+ hrs into XC2 NG+, going for 100%. Be back when I get bored.

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #530 on: September 19, 2018, 03:26:50 am »
How does the Pelagic II barrier skip work? I got it once but I'm not sure how.

left strafe into the left corner, make lots of lag with hi-res, x-ray and weapon switching

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #531 on: October 29, 2018, 12:28:08 pm »
I had a guard clip through the floor in the first room of G5. This was on LTK. (Also had one dishwasher warp on Villa LTK. How does this happen?

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #532 on: October 29, 2018, 12:49:36 pm »
I had a guard clip through the floor in the first room of G5. This was on LTK. (Also had one dishwasher warp on Villa LTK. How does this happen?
Can't really confirm how unless you have a video.

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #533 on: November 01, 2018, 10:41:11 am »
As requested:
So the Villa guard did clip through the floor and it seems the G5 guard never loaded? Glad I saved this - I was convinced by my memory that the G5 guard clipped through a dumpster/pillar/wall but I really don't know what happened.

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #534 on: November 01, 2018, 12:14:40 pm »
There's no clipping on the floor triangle near the wall there. The guards collision radius is smaller than Joanna's so they will fall through. Here's a clip of me doing this with Joanna's radius set to the same as the guard's:

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #535 on: November 05, 2018, 04:47:19 pm »
Sometimes on duel (usually when holding c-buttons + analog stick), Jo walks straight forward and grinds on the wall, with the timer never starting again. Soft lock. I had this happen three times in one session.

Is this the so-called sliding glitch? (I saw the attack ship one)

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #536 on: November 05, 2018, 06:02:16 pm »
Sometimes on duel (usually when holding c-buttons + analog stick), Jo walks straight forward and grinds on the wall, with the timer never starting again. Soft lock. I had this happen three times in one session.

Is this the so-called sliding glitch? (I saw the attack ship one)

Not related to the "sliding" glitch, this just happens very often if you press things during the in-level cinemas. Let go of the controls from when you get a kill until Joanna starts walking again.
PD Proof Moderator

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #537 on: November 06, 2018, 12:25:10 pm »
On attack ship's bridge, can an explosion kill a cloaked Skedar through a wall? Say if one Skedar spawn door opens, can you launch a Slayer at the wall between the two rooms, completing the bridge objective?

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #538 on: November 06, 2018, 12:38:17 pm »
On attack ship's bridge, can an explosion kill a cloaked Skedar through a wall? Say if one Skedar spawn door opens, can you launch a Slayer at the wall between the two rooms, completing the bridge objective?
yep, icy has played around with it but it's too slow to get the  Slayer to save time

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #539 on: November 06, 2018, 04:46:39 pm »
As seen here:

There's no viable way to get it though.

Whiteted

• AF1 51 or bust
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #540 on: November 17, 2018, 04:06:29 pm »
Bit of a deep one about proof policy really (this seems the most appropriate thread).
Consider someone playing investigation with the off-screen zoom as a good example.

Can the individual pause and consult with someone else about when they should launch the camspy? Can they sit there in the pause menu and run the recording of their run to that point through some software* to estimate where the camspy is, so when they should launch it?

The closest that the proof policy gets to this sort of issue is with
Any player caught doing any of the following will be permanently banned from the rankings:
  • Two players sharing a controller(s) or a player claiming a time achieved by somebody else

* not beyond the realms of possibility, I considered something like this for the president on AF1, just looking at lag in the display.

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #541 on: November 17, 2018, 08:36:58 pm »
Technically, it is allowed. All that matters is who's hands touched the controller(s).

Similarly, you could:
-Have some notes to reference
-Create a time calculator tool
-View your recording mid-run, as long as it is not stopped to do so (example: stop local recording and use stream vod, or vice versa)

Think about a person streaming a long RPG speedrun. Is it cheating for them to read their own chat and receive outside assistance from it? No.

There is definitely a clear difference in the types of speedruns though, and you could potentially argue that it is cheating to do that type of thing for a short 1-3 minute IL speedrun. I think it would be extremely stupid for someones speedrun to be disqualified because they received a helpful tip in chat and happened to read it at the right time during a run.

Of course though, although the premise is similar, the question isn't really about getting a tip from twitch chat. It is about long pauses and direct consultations. I believe penalizing obnoxiously long pauses has been discussed in the past, and I think it could be potentially reasonable to implement a limit on total pause length per run.

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #542 on: November 17, 2018, 09:19:02 pm »
remove Marc's former TWR on Aztec 00  :nesquik:
https://youtu.be/52WG331FP0U?t=262

but yeah I mostly agree with flicker here