Author Topic: Elite Streaming on twitch.tv - Comprehensive Topic/Stream List  (Read 92172 times)

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Elite Streaming on Twitch (rolling out a new board top design!)
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2012, 01:29:52 am »
is there any way we can get clem better streaming equip?  It's hard to watch at times.

Is there ANY way we can get inkosi's stream to not be in black and white?  I know why it's that way but is there a capture card or something that wouldn't do that?

SRL is a good start to get viewers but I'm thinking we need to promote the streams or something (GE gamefaqs boards, GE anywhere, etc).  If banjo kazooie speedruns can get 2k like last night, shouldn't be hard to get some of that kind viewership into what we're doing but they're not going to watch us if they don't know about us.

(part of it is also that we're not streaming at your typical peak hours of viewing but still...)

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2012, 08:20:18 am »
you can easily get a cheap capture card for say, 40 dollars, that captures in great quality. But then you also need decent internet upload speed to be able to broadcast at a higher resolution. seems like people don't really care to sink some money and time into getting a good stream going, but I fully agree that it would really help the top speedrunners in getting more views. Broadcasting at good quality is about 50% of the reason people keep on watching a stream.

DavidK5

• Won't... back... down...
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2012, 12:05:21 pm »
Someone buy a Dazzle DVC100 or EZCap and a powered splitter (about $40 total) and send it to Clemens. That's likely the only way he'll do it (sending him money won't work since he'll spend it on something else).

Also, the reason why BK is getting 2000 viewers is because Cosmo is playing it. Viewership on twitch is much more player-driven than it is game-driven (stuff like LoL, Starcraft, and fighting games aside since those are completely different). For example, Cosmo can still pull 500-1000 viewers when playing ridic obscure DOS games. Even if you're playing a popular game like GE, you won't get 1000+ viewers if you don't have that celebrity status (i.e. having 20-30k followers). The fact is our community is still very new to this and the big names on twitch have been doing it for years. We can't expect to match that kind of viewership overnight. We can do more to promote, yes, but growing our viewership will still take some time.
poor performance isn't a glitch - Wouter Jansen

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2012, 12:38:27 pm »
We are already doing exceptionally well imo.  Marc has almost 150 followers and I have well over 200.  But we usually have really high number of viewers to followers ratio.  Some guys have like 3k followers but only average 15-20 viewers a night.  On a bad night I get 30-40 and usually closer to 80-100 when doing full game runs.  Even some of the top OOT/MM players only have around 1000 followers and only get 100-300 viewers when on WR pace runs.

Marc and I have good personalities for this so I think if we keep at it, we can become pretty popular.  I think Clemens could too since he is so hilarious to watch play and fact of the matter he is the best at the game.  That combination could be deadly.  I do agree that we'd need to physically send him a capture card and splitter, but even then who knows if he will use it.

A good way to get more popularity is obv to schedule weekly races.  We could allow emulators for a bit so noobs could play (it's just for fun and they won't beat us anyways.)  If we keep doing weekly races on SRL with a lot of the top players then we'd get a lot more attention for sure.

Problem being we are all trolls with no jobs or school really so it's hard to schedule races since we never know what we will be doing at any given time.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Al Gore

• SRT
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Twitter
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »
I just got Bunker 2 Agent 0:25. Achieved LIVE with 4 viewers.
So what the hell is going on? I mean, normally it saves ALL my recent recordings on the channel, but the one where I just got Bunker 2 Agent 0:25 ISN'T there.
Where is it? I looked all over the place, on my channel, my videos, highlights.
Why it didn't save right now?
As much cheating as Henning did in GE I don't think he had any time left over to cheat on his GF. - Illu

Marc&Ryan aren't streaming, but I bet they're practicing holes. - Wouter Jansen
Converter is official from Denmark. - DavidK519

Henning Blom

• Henning
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2012, 02:52:34 pm »
Ok I got a problem that I dont quite understand. Maybe its my type of splitter or maybe Im just doing it all wrong. But anyway my splitter looks like this (the grey one but they both are identical, just different color):

I bought this external capture card today: Terratec Grabby

http://www.itreviews.com/hardware/tv-and-video-capture/terratec-grabby/

Basically for my splitter I have from the dvd hdd recorder's red, yellow, white cables connected into the upper red, yellow, white connections on the splitter.

A scart that connects the tv to the tv/monitor slot.

I have my Nintendo 64 console, red, yellow, white into a scart that has slots for those into input C. If you dont understand its the thing here, its not exaclty that one but it works the same:

http://sell.bizrice.com/selling-leads/905879/Component-RGB-SCART-Male-to-3-RCA-Female-A-V-Adaptor.html

The middle scart (input B) is the scart that I use for my dvd recorder which goes to the DVD's back.

I tried to use input A with a scart, red yellow white slot, connected with a long cable that has red, yellow, white's pins on both ends into the capture card device.

The problem is, the capure decive can only get a black screen or black signal, no sound, no picture.

I want to be able to record my gameplay to my DVD recorder while I stream so I can make proper videos afterwards!

The 3,3 black ones that you can see on the pic). The order from top button and down is "C, B and A" then "C-A, B-A and RGB". You press whatever of those buttons you want to show on the tv screen, like if I have DVD for unput B I just press the one that says "B" etc if I want to view that or if I push down "C" I view the Nintendo 64. I thought that the capture card would be able to "see" whatever of those options I have chosen (like it would see the DVD when I have B activated or C fpr N64, but I get nothing, no matter which one I press and it doesnt help with the other 3 ones as well. I also tried putting the capture card red, yellow, white's into the tv but that did not work either. May I need another splitter, or how am I supposed to do this? I would really appreciate some advice and guidence here and hopefully you understand what I mean with everything here. Im just so lost when it comes to stuff like this  :(

Other than that I have already installed Xplit and I get that black screen on twitch so everything seems to be working except that I dont get a picture  :P

DavidK5

• PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2012, 03:38:29 pm »
First thing I would do is plug your N64 directly into the capture device to make sure it reads the signal (newer devices might not be able to read analog signals from old consoles). But I'm guessing the problem is with your splitter. Could you give a link to a product page with the splitter's specs? It looks like it has multiple inputs (which would make it a switch), but what you need is multiple outputs. Your N64 should be connected to an input port and all other devices should be connected to an output port (looks like the ports next to Output and TV Output on that device).

Henning Blom

• Henning
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »
It playbacks PAL perfectly, however, ntsc is another story. The sound is perfect but I cant get a flowing picture for whatever reason, first it was B&W and bottom was at top etc, then it just showed still images in color and would update about once every minute, what might be wrong here? That device is is supposed to be able to record both PAL, NTSC and Secam. I put the capture device on the output option and that worked (Thanks wouter) but it was the same results as above and also that means I cant record with my DVD recorder at the same time. I guess its possible to connect the dvd and device to that output using the cables Cara posted on page two so I dont have to buy a new splitter (one end and two ends on the other)? If I put it on the tv output option it shows whatever channel is going so that dont work for either. I dont know the website for that splitter, its several years old.

If it might be the capture device then what capture device would you recommend? Or anybody recommend that worked for them.

edit: Doesnt seem to be the caputre device but the program I used. I tried Xplit and NTSC worked perfect there, just no sound but thats not the most important thing right now.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:28:06 pm by Henning Blom »

DavidK5

• PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2012, 04:41:54 pm »
Does your DVD recorder have an output? If so, you can output from the DVD recorder to the TV and you wouldn't need a 3-output splitter.

You should try configuring that capture device in Xsplit to see if it will work with NTSC. I think normally you can configure the device for whatever region you are using.

But if you end up needing a new capture device, there are many cheap ones that will work with NTSC. I use a Dazzle DVC100 which works great for video, but it requires some workarounds to get the audio inputs working. EZCap is another cheap brand that seems to work ok.

TheFlash

« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »
I tried to use input A with a scart, red yellow white slot, connected with a long cable that has red, yellow, white's pins on both ends into the capture card device.

Your capture card isn't an input, it should be connected to an output channel.

Henning Blom

• Henning
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »
Yeah I guess I'll figure something out eventually when it comes to the recording. But I also wonder about the sound on Xsplit. The sound is like really blurry and you can just about make out what hte music is etc and its the same with both PAL and NTSC. The sound worked perfect with the program that came with the cap device on both versions (just the ntsc pic that was bad here) but I cant seem to find anything on Xsplit that change the sound more than the volume. I have windows 7 if that makes any difference.

You can hear how it sounds here, its really horrible: http://www.twitch.tv/henning_blom/b/339899325

:(

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2012, 06:39:34 pm »
If banjo kazooie speedruns can get 2k like last night, shouldn't be hard to get some of that kind viewership into what we're doing but they're not going to watch us if they don't know about us.

Also, the reason why BK is getting 2000 viewers is because Cosmo is playing it. Viewership on twitch is much more player-driven than it is game-driven. For example, Cosmo can still pull 500-1000 viewers when playing ridic obscure DOS games.

Cosmo got 2000 viewers watching him paint his nails: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright/b/339491620

The ultimate

Softman25

« Reply #212 on: November 14, 2012, 07:57:53 am »
http://www.twitch.tv/softman25

Requesting to come aboard. :salute:

Streaming of emulator like a scumbag - but it's all in good fun.  ;D

Soft-Hedwig

« Reply #213 on: November 14, 2012, 08:25:11 am »
That Cosmo vid is the biggest troll imaginable. Unreal.

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2012, 10:02:59 am »
It's also incredibly gay :D

Time was untied when set.

• Dat clutchness
    • Clemens
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2012, 10:57:03 am »
So one of the most popular speedrunners ever is a halfassed drag queen? Thank God I am in the Elite instead  :nesquik:
teh peoples champ

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2012, 03:21:17 pm »
So one of the most popular speedrunners ever is a halfassed drag queen? Thank God I am in the Elite instead  :nesquik:

hahahahahaha amazing

Infected Mind

• Retro Game Enthusiast
    • Alex
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2012, 10:08:13 pm »
You guys do realize he raised something like 200 dollars per nail painted for charity (donation incentive)
AKA: l34ss l3oost
AKA: AlexWAnderson

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »
Yeah, for the color he used to play Castlevania during smwmarathon.  This was just for fun, as are all his other nail painting sessions.

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2012, 11:06:55 pm »
My combination of the Dazzle DVD100 and powered splitter for about $40 is working perfect for me minus trying to play a different region system (PAL of course) - the input lag was too much for me to get used to. The direct-audio has never worked properly for me, but my solution to that was using a microphone and implementing a game-cam because Illu/Goose did it first, inspiring me.

This might work for you Henning! I personally feel viewers like to see raw emotions with speedrunning instead of just purely the game with no emotional feedback. I also believe that you'll appreciate capturing the moment of a PR or WR when you view the video many years from now :)

Henning Blom

• Henning
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »
Alright, add me to the list!

http://www.twitch.tv/henning_blom

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2012, 07:54:23 am »
I badly need another monitor lol

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2012, 04:10:35 am »
lol still with XP Goose :v

Softman25

« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2012, 07:52:59 am »
I think the fact he uses Opera is more humorous.  :nesquik:

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2012, 08:27:39 am »
I think the fact he has a screen resolution of 1200 x 800 is even more humorous  :nesquik:

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2012, 08:30:10 am »
It's actually 1024 x 768

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2012, 09:22:17 am »
It's actually 1024 x 768

yea this is too much for me. Might not check this topic for a while

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »

Anemptybox

• twitch
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2012, 08:06:33 am »
My stream http://sv.twitch.tv/anemptybox

Will obviously be streaming TimeSplitters (TS1 mostly for now). It seems to work fine when I tried it yesterday, but one annoying thing is that I can't seem to record and stream at the same time because the CPU goes up to about 90% +, even though I've got a pretty decent PC. Or is it really that demanding?

Maybe I should try a different capture program. The one I'm using right now is ArcSoft Showbiz. Do you guys use XSplit?

(Also, thanks for telling me to post here, wheat!)

DavidK5

• PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:56 am »
You can record to your hard drive and stream at the same time in Xsplit, however, if you have stuff like timers, webcams, etc. on your stream that will also show up on the local recording. When I direct capture and stream at the same time, I use Virtual Dub and screen region the preview (stream quality suffers a bit, but I don't have many other options without a DVD recorder or VCR).

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2012, 02:04:59 am »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Soft-Hedwig

« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2012, 02:10:55 am »
You can record to your hard drive and stream at the same time in Xsplit, however, if you have stuff like timers, webcams, etc. on your stream that will also show up on the local recording. When I direct capture and stream at the same time, I use Virtual Dub and screen region the preview (stream quality suffers a bit, but I don't have many other options without a DVD recorder or VCR).

Are there any tutorials online about what settings are good to use on vdub? I would try and figure it out but I don't have the time or the knowledge to do so.

DavidK5

• PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2012, 02:29:50 am »
I don't know of any tutorials off-hand, but there might be some information in the SDA knowledge base (however dated it may be). I use xvid MPEG4 codec for video compression since it lets you adjust the bitrate to whatever you want (lossless codecs like lagarith do not and give you absurd file sizes as a result). For audio, I use the LAME MP3 codec or just record uncompressed audio at 22k Hz. I also set virtual dub to never drop or insert frames.

Illu

• Proven Champ 2007
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • my Perfect Dark times page
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:27 am »
Eise Smit - www.twitch.tv/admiralsmit

His name doesn't show up on top of the boards when he's streaming.

Soft-Hedwig

« Reply #235 on: December 05, 2012, 03:12:15 am »
 :nesquik: !

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #236 on: December 05, 2012, 11:57:32 am »
probably for good reason :nesquik:

Smit

• Oh, this is suicide! There's nowhere to go.
    • Eise
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2012, 04:30:00 am »

:nesquik:

Monteith

• twitch
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2012, 01:53:57 am »
Could someone add my channel so it shows up at the top when I'm streaming?

http://www.twitch.tv/tehnewdave

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2012, 07:52:48 am »
Mine toooooooooooooooo.

http://www.twitch.tv/mirrormage1
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2013, 12:04:20 pm »
QUICKLY!

Someone add Karl's channel since he will be GE champion soon

http://www.twitch.tv/karljobst

Soft-Hedwig

« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2013, 04:39:02 am »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:13:29 pm by Robbie Williams »

Funky_Buddha

• ...with hook and scourge...
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2013, 05:01:24 am »
http://www.twitch.tv/funkybkk

Already poppin' out fresh DS PA 3:15's for my loyal fans... represent!

In more pertinent news I seem to lag a little so any advice to reduce that would be very much welcomed. Otherwise, consider yourselves warned!

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

DavidK5

• PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2013, 12:24:36 am »
I've added everyone, but the board top is down temporarily to try to diagnose some forum issues.

Koch

• Ryan Koch
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2013, 06:39:56 pm »
http://www.twitch.tv/kochson

up and running! having some problems with audio though, should be an easy fix

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2013, 08:04:49 pm »
http://www.twitch.tv/drgnomemd

Got sick of using a variant of my real name so I deleted it and made one with my Steam name  :v

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:12 pm »
Question time!

When I last played my setup was as follows; N64 composite in to CRT TV, CRT TV composite (out) in to a Leadtek DTV1000S TV card which I used to record any time I played. A bit annoying having to manage multiple screens, but worked decently enough and worked identically (no black & white nonsense) with both my PAL and NTSC consoles. I had another capture card before that one but it was awful; quality was bad and half the time it would record "slowly" resulting in videos that were twice as slow as they should have been.

I live in a new place now and have no CRT TV, and no chance of being able to fit one. I've tried playing by watching just my monitor before, but the problem it's the quality is much worse than the original CRT TV, it gets even worse when I start recording and, of course, there's a little bit of (noticeable) lag.

TL;DR - Can anyone recommend a piece of hardware that will let me record + play through my computer without lag or loss of quality? I have a beast of a PC so that's not an issue. I expect I may be asking for too much since the analog-to-digital process itself probably introduces latency...

NathanStinson

• Ab Aeterno
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2013, 10:59:55 pm »
I stream various Steam games usually ad occasionally some kart 64 and other console games.
twitch.tv/nstinson
Keeper of Jimbo's Pillow