Author Topic: Post New DLTK WRs & PRs here  (Read 50135 times)

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Post New DLTK WRs & PRs here
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2014, 04:57:04 am »
Wow that's awesome. Good luck with the attempts :)

This deserves a stream.

Dark Slayer

• One Hit Wonder
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »
Lol damn, that's some insane, Bozon-esque levels of strat explanation right there.

Great job figuring all that stuff out, Icy, here's hoping you're the first to complete the damn level after all that.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:46 pm »
I actually have quite a few new strats I'm applying to my runs too!  :v

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2014, 03:20:00 am »
I almost completed a run today (died near the end), but it's still pretty hard. Fortunately though, I did some more lab rat work and found a new way to make all of the Skeder in the halls and engine room significantly easier! I'm really excited to finish a run and show you guys everything!

Troublesome Moral Code

• MouserScribe
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2014, 05:01:15 am »
It's happening.
Live life on 00 Agent.

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2014, 11:04:39 am »
Unreal

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2014, 10:38:22 pm »
I'm consistently caking the whole level now, there was just one really fussy Skeder that kept killing me, but I think I worked out a solution. Attack Ship isn't too much harder than Escape at this point, it's just a really long level, and I'm going to do some irreparable damage to the Total Time, lol. Completion is coming very soon!

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2014, 02:29:57 am »

Died in the final room. One of the Skeder wouldn't drop down from the platform, and after 10 minutes of trying to get him to jump, I went for a risky backup plan and got shot.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2014, 04:32:48 am »
 :o
Last room in long levels is always that bad unfortunately :(
Anyway, thanks for your contribution and congrats (I'm asuming you will complete it within 2 days)!!
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Troublesome Moral Code

• MouserScribe
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2014, 04:40:16 am »
Almost an hour? However long this ends up being I will watch it, start to finish.
Live life on 00 Agent.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2014, 04:56:33 am »
Almost an hour? However long this ends up being I will watch it, start to finish.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2014, 05:37:45 am »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2014, 06:04:06 pm »
I think Villa is the hardest non-AS level to do on DLTK. Escape was surprising hard though. Cool to see that soon both games will have every DLTK level beaten.

Illu

• Proven Champ 2007
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • my Perfect Dark times page
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2014, 06:19:15 pm »
lol wtf is going on in here, I remember someone saying like a couple weeks ago AS would never be beaten... unfortunately  :nesquik:

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »
Villa's not too bad if you use the door trick to kill most of the guards. The basement can be pretty brutal though.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2014, 02:20:21 am »
In hindsight, I should have used Maulers  :v https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frcrTX3oGOE

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2014, 03:44:02 am »
Villa and Escape are the hardest non AS stages in PD, I agree. My strat for the basement wasn't very bad though, Icy. In fact, my strat for Villa is surprisingly easy to perform, the hard thing was to find it.

Illu: obviously, I didn't expect the level was this glitchy when I predicted that :S. My problems when I tried the level in past were ammo and Elvis. For the ammo, he has discovered the knive glitches and for Elvis he says he can get him stuck (still wondering how) :S. So yeah, I changed my mind, lol. If Icy's strats are as amazing as they look written, the level has become more than doable. As a remark, though, my opinion about the level was that it was "possible" (I even planned strats for every room if Elvis cooperated), simply I didn't think any human would beat it, since beating such a hard level with Elvis and so few ammo can be a torture...

Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2014, 03:42:59 am »
I'm at 11 deaths past Objective 4 now lol, just can't get it all together. However, I spent more time on some problematic areas and I took care of what's been killing ~95% of my runs. I'll get this eventually, but grinding a 50 minute level is incredibly stressful, especially when there's a luck-based run killer ~25 minutes in that I have no solution for. (Found an answer!)

I think I'm at ~70 hours total and I've learned basically every single nuance that exists, and have a giant mental flow chart of how to play. I'll write up a nice, thorough guide when I'm done to help anyone else that wants to go through this ordeal.

It'll be interesting to see who else will be able to get a completion. While skill-wise it's not very demanding, extreme patience and a very calm mind are mandatory. Very much the playstyle of Lloyd Palmer.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:34:49 pm by Icy »

Troublesome Moral Code

• MouserScribe
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »
Live life on 00 Agent.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2014, 01:53:12 pm »
DLTK ATTACK SHIP 53:10!!!!!

Video is currently uploading! I need to calm down and I'll comment on everything and spill the beans on my strategies!

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2014, 01:58:45 pm »
Insane solo achievement! Taking this level from considered impossible to beaten in a week...

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2014, 02:21:25 pm »
Man, this was so amazing to do and I'm so happy I got it! Now DLTK is finally complete in BOTH games, I'm the first to finish DLTK for Perfect Dark, 1st in Time Ranks is cool (still 3rd in points, lolimbad), and seeing a complete grid on the LTK page is nice! I did some permanent damage to the total time, and unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to get DLTK total under 2 hours, but oh well, it looks nicer than N/A!

I'm currently uploading the video, and I'll do a super high quality one later since I know you guys are eager to see the run.

So how did I do this? Well, if you've followed my videos and posts, the intro up to the hangar elevator is done, although I do have some easier strategies for that section now. The big thing is getting Elvis permanently stuck. Up the hangar elevator are all those yellow doors and most of them you can walk into the sides of them and glitch out of bounds, and what's really cool is you land back in the hangar. On top, if you use the lift Elvis goes up, you can actually go back up too! Unfortunately, this proved not useful, BUT if instead you setup Elvis near the door, crouch and punch him, you can knock him out of bounds too and he'll be stuck in the hangar until you go down there! He'll still warp up near the ending too, so it doesn't cause problems.

The next big trick is taking out all the Skedar in the hallways and engine room. This took awhile to figure out, and I tried multiple ideas, but I found one that cakes it. The star map machine is actually solid! If you crouch along the edges of it and you position yourself correctly, they cannot hit you! After they attempt to shoot you a few times, they will run out of the room and then run back in, not only giving you a chance to shoot them safely, but they expose their backside, allowing for one hit kills against their tails!

I discovered a lot more too, which I'll write about when I do a big guide to the level, but those are the two main things I'm sure everyone was wondering about.

Also, sorry to be spammy and obnoxious the last week; I was really excited more and more as I saw the potential completion. I also don't mean to take attention away from what other players were doing; Mouser and Bozon got some nice times this week!

:v

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2014, 02:48:02 pm »
Absolutely magnificent. Today, July 19th 2014, is another milestone in Elite history. Major congrats Icy - you're now a legend! :)

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2014, 03:19:10 pm »
Thanks!

Here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiu26kjRTFk

I'll have an HQ version coming up too later, but I wanted to get something up for now!

PerfectTaste

• Patrik Nilsson
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »
Amazing achievement! It's so cool to see both GE and PD completed on DLTK. Wonder if the game makers ever intended that it was possible?
"Wappayuuuu" - Cara

Troublesome Moral Code

• MouserScribe
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2014, 04:08:43 pm »

See this? Everything about this is just awesome. Congratulations on what truly is a mark in history, you've earned it.

Now to just calm down so I can watch the video  :o oh man today is so great
Live life on 00 Agent.

DavidK5

• Won't... back... down...
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2014, 04:39:31 pm »
So much patience and concentration. I would have been freaking out at the end with all the skeds running around Elvis, but you probably knew he could clutch it.

Congrats Icy, you are awesome :pimp:
poor performance isn't a glitch - Wouter Jansen

Dark Slayer

• One Hit Wonder
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2014, 04:54:22 pm »
OMG IT HAS BEEN ACTUALLY DONE!  :D Taking a challenge like that and completing it in less than 10 days is just mind-blowing. Truly extraordinary feat, Icy.

Grats on 1st place and on being the first to ever complete every single ranked PD IL category, damn well deserved. That's pretty sick for such a short PD/GE speedrunning career!  :)

brb watching teh vid

Adam_B

• twitch
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2014, 06:04:00 pm »
Excellent job Eric, I know the effort that goes into working out strats and being the first to complete a difficult level like this :)

Now see if you can be the first to complete every DLTK level on PD and GE ;)

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2014, 06:24:41 pm »
Wow.

Major accomplishment for the game and the community as a whole. Amazing job, Icy. These are all well deserved compliments for your intensive work and patience. It must have felt truly great to finally see that green completion screen roll down and realize that you DID IT.

going to watch the video now :)

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2014, 06:38:22 pm »
Just watched the vid in its entirety. Great stuff. The way you stuck Elvis was brilliant. Last few seconds was kind of intense. Also really clever skedar luring.

Looks like I put an incentive up for Attack Ship DLTK so please give me your paypal and I'll be glad to send the money to ya ($30) :)

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2014, 06:42:37 pm »
Thanks everyone! It was definitely rough to lose about a dozen 40+ minute runs, and a ton more 30+ ones, but I knew it was possible and refused to give up! I hope you're all inspired to push hard for your goals whether they're speedrunning goals for these games, or real life ones. Only you decide your limits!

I'm going to start writing a guide for Attack Ship as there are a ton of nuances and tricks in this level, and not all of them occurred during this completion. Also, I played focused on finishing the level, not for speed, and I think with good luck, fast play, and good aim, sub 40 is possible. At the very least, we should knock off 3 minutes so then we have under 2 hours for DLTK, and that would be awesome!

My long-term goal right now is to finish the final six for Goldeneye, which I'm sure will keep me busy. I'm coming for ya Bozon! :v

@Axel: Put it towards Goose getting SA Streets 1:54! :)

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2014, 07:11:22 pm »
Woot! Amazingly done!

Can't wait for the HQ :D
sexy, this

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »
Icy, do you want to come on my stream at some point, play this video front to back, and explain everything going on?

We could get a few guys on Mumble and have a good time rewatching the video when it's up.  Even theelitegaming would be good for this.  The world needs to see this performance.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:23:40 pm by Vicar of the Speedrun Realm »
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2014, 09:18:57 pm »
Edit: This is the old Attack Ship DLTK Guide, which is outdated now. I recommend watching my tutorial instead if you're interested in completing the level.

Spoiler
Attack Ship DLTK Guide

Preface

Attack Ship is by far the most difficult DLTK level in Perfect Dark, and definitely one of the hardest in total, perhaps 3rd to Train and Silo. It is also the longest level and requires a lot of time to complete, not to mention any failed attempts. It's often advised for DLTK to test run level with Invincibility though I can't imagine most people bother for most levels. Attack Ship is different and I absolutely recommend doing several test runs because you don't want to be 45 minutes into a real run and die due to something you haven't practiced.

Attack Ship will also test many different skills than most levels. While you usually are abusing explosives, hitting heads, and blasting through levels as fast as possible, Attack Ship needs to be taken slowly, defensively, and patiently. This is a contradiction to speedrunning, but it's absolutely necessary. It also may go against many players' playstyles, and controlling nerves for such a long period of time is also something that you may not be used to. This takes practice and time.

For most of the level, you're controlling Skedar very carefully, following a flow chart, and abusing AI. But if you have better strategies, please share!

Part 1: Intro up to Hangar Elevators

This is one of the harder parts of the level as it's luck-based, requires some speed and technique, and there are no guaranteed ways to succeed even if you do everything right. Fortunately, a reset a couple minutes in is better than half an hour in, and it does get easier as you go on.

Starting off, immediately run to the first Skedar and get an instant kill with the Knife. Sometimes you'll go too fast or too slow and alert him, so learn when you can approach. If you arrive too early, strafe into the transparent blue wall until you hear Cassandra scream. The second Skedar will be the cause of most of your resets. By doing a quick and tight strafe around the corner, you can perform an instant kill Knife slash. you want to be aiming down and away from the Skedar. It's very tricky to hit and takes time to learn. I found it by accident, so I don't know the specifics, but it is mandatory to hit this to complete the level (under current knowledge). Do note that it isn't stance-based; you can attempt it multiple times if you don't get killed while doing it.

Once the two Skedar are dead, use the Mauler to blow up the shields. Since ammo is tight on this level, I suggest doing a single ammo charge and switching function back. This costs only 2 ammo per shot, as opposed to 6 by full charging, or 4 with regular shots. It's not much, but every little bit helps. If you're going for speed, use charged shots.

Head down the elevator and run part way up the ramp to alert the first Skedar and then run back. The Skedar in the Hangar tend to run around a lot, so you'll have plenty of time. Once you're back up, wait in front of the door and run into it, preparing to do a right strafe as soon as you enter. Sometimes it takes a few cycles before the Skedar comes up, so be patient. This covers the 3 possibilities:

1) The Skedar will be on the right-hand side and motionless. Position yourself in front of him and prepare strafing away one side to dodge his shot (they always shoot first), and then strafe back to dodge the melee attack. Any melee attacks missed by these Skedar puts them into a sort of permanent freeze and allow for instant kills behind them. I'm not sure why it happens, but it does. In the case the second attack is another shot, the Skedar will harmlessly run around until you go down the elevator, where it will run out the door (return to the top and restart), or will be motionless again, so re-position yourself. One other tip is that if you hear a Skedar roar as it goes up the elevator, it will be in this stance.

2) The Skedar will be on the left-hand side and attacking. By running into the door and strafing right, it will miss you (hopefully), and then allow you to kill it in similar fashion. Melee attacks lead to freezes, Skedar shooting the Mauler will cause it to run around, so force it to melee attack.

3) The Skedar will be on the left-hand side, run out the elevator, and ignore you, turning right. Carefully follow it. It will run into the side of the elevator and fire. Dodge it by running against him and then strafe the opposite way to force it to melee attack and (hopefully) miss. It'll then be frozen and you can kill it. On rare occasion it will go the other direction instead. Follow it towards the transparent blue wall, and approach from the right-hand side. Dodge the shot, and force a melee attack. Repeat until it freezes.

On occasion, the Skedar will be frozen after its headbutt melee attack and be outside the elevator while you drop down. It will still be frozen when you return to the room, so don't panic.

If a Skedar is frozen and you can't reach its tail for instant kills, attack facing the same direction as the Skedar and you should be able to do a glitchy side-swipe to the tail. Even if not, you can hit its head until it dies and it won't care, lol.

Note that occasionally the dropped Mauler will fall out of bounds, so you may have some runs with slightly less ammo. It sucks, but it's not a huge deal.

After the first Hangar Skedar is killed, head down the elevator. Now, depending on what time is on the clock determines where the second one is. If you're down there before 1:20, it will be on the far left side, but if you're later, it will be slowly walking in front of the ramp (safe to watch it so don't panic). In either case, lure it and repeat the above. Note for speedrunning purposes, where the Skedar is seems to be more related to when it's loaded, so it's possible you'll get the slow Skedar before 1:20, and sometimes you'll get the fast one after 1:30. That's a rough idea, not sure the specifics.

If the slow moving Skedar is difficult for you to lure without dying, crouch and climb the ramp on the left side and pop up and back down to alert it, like a whack-a-mole. It'll run around, giving you lots of time to get back down safely.

Once the Hangar is clear, head across to the other side and go up the elevator. Crouch down and close the elevator behind you, so it'll be open when you get back later on. Now move forward and you'll see the square tiles. Go up to the second last one before the corner in full lookdown, and align the top of your screen with the indent. If that's hard to understand, just watch my run to see what I do. From there, stand up and strafe forward left. The Skedar will fire and miss you, while also giving the highest chance of staying on his platform. Click the controls and crouch down. One of two things will happen now:

1) The Skedar will stay on his platform, scramble around, and run into the side room. Wait until you clearly see him inside with the door closing, and then head back to the elevator. The controls will protect you from shots.

2) The Skedar will fall off and then start running around to where you came from. Stand up, run far enough so you can see the Skedar run past the elevator, and then bolt it. If you timed the door correctly earlier, you'll have the door open for you to safely get in and down.

You'll now see Elvis. Run between the doors so they can't close, locking the elevator in place. Let him talk to you, then re-open the doors and run into the back corner, attempting to lure Elvis inside. Make sure to close and re-open the doors often enough so you don't end up going back up. If the Skedar from above happens to be there, he might ping the elevator. You'll notice this when the doors can't be re-opened. If this happens and Elvis is not inside, go into the elevator, and strafe diagonally into the left corner to hopefully jam the door. Prepare to do a quick circle around the Skedar if jamming the door doesn't work.

Once you have the elevator under control and with Elvis inside (who still manages to be intolerable sometimes), wait 2.5-3 minutes for the Maians and Skedar in the Hangar to finish fighting. Stay in between the doors to jam them. I also suggest staring towards Elvis as he on very rare occasion freezes in the elevator and will get killed later. Staring at him fixes the problem it seems. After you've waited, look towards the ramp for any flashes for 15 seconds. If you see any, add 30 seconds to when you saw it. When it's clear, open the doors to let Elvis out and run up.

Now, the Maians should almost always win, but sometimes they lose. And not just lose, but there will be about 15 Skedar in a giant circle where the Maians usually are. It took awhile to figure out what causes this: any Skedar not coming from the large red doors are VERY distracting to the Maians. That means if you were to skip the original 2 Hangar Skedar, or any others, the Maians will go after them, and then be inactive for the ones spawning. Now, you might wonder what causes this since we kill them all. If you use cheats and go into that side room from earlier, you'll notice that the sides of the doors are not solid, and you can fall out of bounds. Often times when the Skedar runs in there, he'll fall out of bounds, landing in the Hangar and distracting the Maians, ultimately killing your run. So although it seems safer, the side room is the worse possibility sometimes! It's better for the Skedar to jump the ledge and you to run around him, so long as you can do it consistently. Occasionally the Skedar will behave inside the side room, run near the elevator later on, or the Maians will cooperate properly, but this is a luck-based problem that can ruin your runs. You also can't just hope to run past any remaining Skedar because you need the Hangar empty for later, not to mention all the Mauler ammo.

So, supposing the Maians win, run around and thoroughly check for Maulers. If you're speedrunning, just grab a bunch and go. Assuming you have 24 originally from perfect shield shots, a good amount to be going up the lift is 184, though sometimes it'll be lower or higher; it's random. Also, make sure the Skedar from the control room gets killed by the Maians if he comes down the elevator. Wait until this happens if you heard roaring (it can take up to a minute). After you're all set to go, kill the Maians with the Knife for Callisto ammo, and head up.

If you've managed all this in one piece and are competent with the strategies coming up, you now have a potential completion.

Part 2: Setups to the Star Maps

This is by far the easiest section, but it's simple to botch and get you killed. Follow these strategies carefully and you'll cake it every time.

When going up the lift, have the stub behind you and be on the left side. If you go on the right, a Skedar can see you through the window and ruin everything. I strongly advise you practice each setup until you get them every time.

Head towards the door and wait for Elvis to go on the left hand side (if you were to be facing the door). You need Elvis on the correct side, or he may try to fight the Skedar when you open the door. Now, from the left side, open the door and carefully strafe facing towards the right. You should be able to see the Skedar's tail (the purple-ish square shape). Fire at it until it dies (20ish shots). For the next Skedar, you want to be more towards the middle, but moving may cause Elvis to also move and alert the Skedar. Move backwards first, then to the right, facing left. You should see his tail too, and be able to kill it.

Collect the Maulers and head to the left room and centre yourself with the door. Crouch and move forwards into the pillar. Then slowly strafe left until you can see the spiky tips of the Skedar's head. There are no known setups to hit the tail, and he seems to spot you easily, so fire 1 bullet at a time towards his head. Each headshot causes a head bobble, so if you hold fire, you'll miss a ton. Fun fact: Skedar come in all different sizes and if this one happens to be small, you will lose some ammo due to him being particularly hard to hit.

If you alert him, the pillars and Elvis can work with you to get an easy kill. Either use the Knife or a charged Mauler shot to the tail for an instant kill. Should you alert the Star Map room Skedar, bring them back here too.

Head towards the Star Map room and be on the right-hand side of the door. There's a very annoying third light and I always shoot it so it's easier to see the Skedar, but it's not necessary. You can actually go quite deep without being spotted, allowing to hold fire when in position. Again, practice these setups. After he's dead, turn and lean against the door and move forward. Slowly strafe right and aim for the spiky tips of the last one. After they're dead, let Elvis finish objective 3 and switch to your fists.

Lure Elvis to the door you came through, position him to be standing in between the doors, and then punch his legs until he goes through the side. There's a glitch with these doors where you can go out of bounds. By sending Elvis through, he'll safely fall back to the Hangar, unable to return and allow you to finish the rest of the level without him (thank God).

I suggest turning off music at this point for better hearing.

Part 3: Hallways and Engine Room

This section is quite easy if you play your positions well and lure carefully. This also has the most nuances by far and you really need to know what you're doing or you'll get killed.

The major trick used is abusing the Star Map machine. The large green maps are solid, and the little platform it's on is high enough to cover you crouching. However, it is not safe for you to stand there as there is a thin gap between the two that you can get shot through. Your main positions are behind the lights on the sides, and the brown square tiles on the platform, a little bit behind the lights.

When Skedar arrive in this room, be positioned at the opposing brown square. They will attempt to shoot you a few times, retreat to a corner and do one of two things:

1) If you remain hidden they will either fire towards you (missing), or run around the corner you're at and possibly kill you. This is bad, but fortunately, you can control it so you always get the other possibility.

2) If the Skedar believe they can hit you from the corners, they will fire. This will then keep them from running around to where you are. Now you obviously don't want to die, so you can use the lights that slightly extrude out from the platform to cover yourself, while also forcing the Skedar to fire. After firing from the corner, they will run out the room and run back in, repeating.

As they run out, this gives you a perfect chance to shoot them with the Mauler. A tail shot will instant kill, but the Mauler is quite inaccurate. Another important note is that the tail is partially aesthetic and you can't hit the very bottom of it. I suggest aiming for the back of the head and hoping for the best. If you're playing for speed, each cycle of this takes ~20 seconds, so learn to get the hits. Also, while it is tempting to chase after them as soon as they leave the corners, they occasionally change their minds and fire at you again, so approach from a distance.

This sounds complicated, but it takes 5-10 minutes to learn, and not much more to master. If you can do this every time, you'll be essentially invincible. The most important thing though is to always assume the Skedar is alive when it leaves the room, unless it's dead in front of your eyes. The Skedar can sometimes take 10-15 seconds coming back into the room, so take your time.

Now, for which path to take. I strongly suggest the left-hand side up the hallways. There is a Skedar waiting in front of that door (always), so you have to run quickly back around the corner, but it's not too hard. On the other hand, the right side has a patrolling Skedar. You can listen for its footsteps to know when to approach, but the big problem is the second Skedar across the next hallway may also see you. Having two Skedar simultaneously at the Star Map will likely lead to you dying, so I suggest the left path.

Progress towards the engine room, doing leans around each corner. While it's helpful for other levels, do not use quick leans. Skedar will freeze in place if they prepare to fire and you're not there anymore, resulting in them waiting and instantly reacting next time they see you (and probably killing you), or otherwise getting lost and not coming back. Hold leans until you see the Skedar. They react slowly this way, giving you enough time to pull back and repeat. Do this for each turn in the hallways for each Skedar to lure them to the Star Map room. The golden rule for this is if you see the Skedar, it see you. Don't do double takes, ever.

The first two Skedar in the hallways are simple. Once you get towards the engine room, you may see a patrolling Skedar from the opposite side in the corner. Do not worry about him, he won't ever approach.

Now, there are two possibilites for the third hallway Skedar that goes into the engine room occasionally:

1) The Skedar will be facing the engine room door and slowly head towards it. Wait as it walks towards it for 10 seconds, then approach. Do a slightly long lean to cause it to fire at you. Since it has to turn around, lean a little longer than usual, and make sure it actually fires or it will get stuck. After he misses his shots, run not just the first, but the second corner back. This Skedar is particularly fussy and even if he sees you leaning from the first corner, he'll just run at you, and then you don't have enough time to escape. The rest is rinse and repeat.

2) He'll be inside the engine room. Now, this guy killed a lot of my runs so I suggest following this strategy: run all the way back to the yellow hallways outside the Star Map room and wait for 30 seconds. The Skedar has problems with doors, but if you unload the area, he'll be able to get out, and hopefully give you possibility 1 instead. This obviously costs a lot of time though. If you're feeling risky, you can go up to the engine room door, open it to alert him and then quickly shut them and run back to the corners. The problems with this is like I said, he's fussy and sometimes will just run at you, and also he circles around in front of the door since he can't open it and may be right in front of it as you open it. The timing to open and close the door is also weird and takes practice. I strongly, strongly suggest you just unload the area and get him out of the engine room.

After he's dead, head into the engine room and lure the first Skedar. You don't need to guide the Skedar at every corner on the way out; the engine room Skedar will head towards the spotlight outside the door, and you can bring them over from the hallway corners like before. Then for the ones behind the doors, hold back as you open it and then strafe around the corner. For whatever reason, these Skedar will be facing away from you, so you have lots of time to head to safety, but you can also sometimes be too fast and they'll get stuck as mentioned before. Practice this.

Once the engine room is safe, approach the left side first. Crouch around the corner and use the AR34 to blow up the first brown pillar. Most of the time you'll lure the patrolling Skedar inside, so run back and kill him like the others. You'll sometimes hear shots nearby you, but you are safe, so don't worry. Then repeat for the other side and other pillar. Note that you can alert the patrolling Skedar from both sides, but it's more likely to from the left. In either case, be prepared for him. If you do alert him from the right hand side, he comes out very slowly. When you're behind the corner in the hallway, wait leaning at least a full minute before continuing. I've waited 50ish seconds before and got a nasty surprise as I was heading towards the end more than once.

One important note is although Elvis will do his usual dialogue "We have to get out of here!", he will still be in the Hangar, so don't worry about it.

Part 4: Ramps and the Bridge

At this point, it's easy to get nervous. Pause and take a breather if you have to, but continue on carefully as the ending is pretty much all setups.

Heading up the ramps from the hallways, there's a still Skedar in the spotlight. If you came from the right-hand side, you can shoot his head, but if you came from the left, you can hit his tail (another reason to be doing left). Carefully strafe and prepare to hit his tail. This is also the best spot to use up your Callisto ammo, since high impact shells tend to be inaccurate from long distances. If you accidentally alert him, don't panic, and just lure him to the Star Map room.

Next for the two on the big ramps. Approach the door carefully in crouch and use the AR34 to take out one of them. You'll need to be aiming for the spikes of the head like you did before. If you run out of ammo, switch to Callisto, and then Mauler, until one is dead. The second one, you can take a few strategies:

1) This is the fastest and uses no ammo, but has a slight chance of getting you killed (like, 5% or so). Crouch and move through the door and head to the black pillar on the side the Skedar is on. Stand up and do a long-ish lean to get the Skedar to fire straight at you. As soon as this happen, run immediately to the other side, up, and into the elevator room, closing the door behind you. The Skedar will not change direction when firing, and will always run outside the room from where you came from. The small problem is if the elevator doesn't open for you in time, the Skedar could catch up and kill you. This is quite rare and the strategy is very safe, but be aware of this if you make this decision.

2) Kill him like you did the first. You usually will not have enough ammo unless you botched the AR34 setups earlier and saved ammo that way. I strongly recommend against using Mauler ammo as it's inaccurate and can be helpful for the final room. Still, this is a possible choice and is 100% sure to work so long as you don't accidentally alert him.

3) Lure him back to the Star Map room. For the corners, treat him like an engine room Skedar, that is, you don't need to worry about leaning each corner. You could also do this strategy for both Skedar, but depending on how accurate you are in the Star Map room, you may not have enough Mauler ammo.

After you make it to the elevator, ride up, then head to the second one. On the second elevator, there are two stubs on the sides. Choose whichever, and go behind it and be strafing. This will get you behind the walls for the final room. Angle is very important, so practice this a few times.

Now, the final room is usually easy, but has a bit of luck to it. What you want to do is slowly lean towards the middle repeatedly to make the Skedar fire. I suggest doing this with one Skedar at a time. These Skedar will not leave their positions, but will move forward each time they fire. You want the two ledge Skedar to jump down, and the big one to head towards you diagonally.

The way this works is there is a ramp that goes down into the centre, and there are "pockets" on the sides of this ramp. They're high enough where the Skedar can't hit you from them, and you want to trap all three of them in there. After you get the first one, and then the big one, lean out once to alert the third Skedar, and switch to the other wall. Once all three are in the pockets, have them all attempt to fire at you at the same time, and run behind them. They will not turn around, and then you can get instant Knife kills from behind. Practice this.

Occasionally though, the ledge Skedar will get stuck part way and won't be able to fall off. This is luck-based and sucks. You have two choices here:

1) Get the other two Skedar in the opposite pocket, and attempt to get behind all three. This is incredibly dangerous as you are exposed to a loose Skedar, but you may not have a choice.

2) If you have enough ammo, carefully strafe around the wall and shoot until it's dead. Make sure you do it from the wall where the other two Skedar cannot see you so they don't get out, or hit you (if they get just the perfect angle). The other issue is that there isn't a setup to get used to since the stuck Skedar can be in different places each time, so you need to improvise.

Once they're dead, collect the Maulers, hopefully giving you dual Maulers. Because the big Skedar will be deep in the pocket, it's common the Maulers fall out of bounds, but a single Mauler is still fine.

For the finale, there will be a bunch of Skedar running in. This isn't too difficult, but there are some small problems. When it starts, there will be two that spawn. Give yourself some distance to see what they do, as they will either target you or Elvis. If they target you, try to carefully slash its tail, and if it targets Elvis, make sure not to accidentally slash Elvis. Don't forget the 1000% Enemy bonuses apply to Elvis too; he's pretty tough and shouldn't have been hit until this point, so don't worry about him too much. He can safely handle a whole Skedar himself without dying most of the time.

Often, the Skedar will get stuck and run in circle in place. This gives you a good chance to kill them with Mauler shots. Use up the rest of your other ammo on them too. Once you're out, rely on your Knife. There shouldn't be too many left, or at least not many targetting Elvis. Prioritize the ones attacking him so then you can let him slowly kill any remaining Skedar targeting you. If they get unstuck and chase after you, play cat and mouse along the ramps, keeping an eye on the others. Alternatively, just go for Knife kills, but the lag might make it tough, and your hands might be shaky.

Continue this until you get objective 5 complete, and then dodge for the last couple of seconds.

End

This level is not too difficult for any particular part, but it's the length that kills. Playing flawlessly for 40-50 minutes is tedious and draining, making this level very challenging! Practice every section multiple times, learn how to handle all the nuances, control your nerves as best you can, and never give up!

If you have any questions, suggestions, new strategies, etc, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:38:22 am by Icy »

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2014, 09:21:23 pm »
Icy, do you want to come on my stream at some point, play this video front to back, and explain everything going on?

We could get a few guys on Mumble and have a good time rewatching the video when it's up.  Even theelitegaming would be good for this.  The world needs to see this performance.

Sounds like fun! I'm not sure how much most viewers would enjoy the long gameplay from a slow and mostly dark level, but I think it'd be good for TheEliteGaming.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2014, 02:54:53 am »

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2014, 08:23:18 am »
Np: icy_love.mp3

OO

• Retired?
    • PD
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2014, 08:33:52 am »
That's mind blowing. Can't believe you actually completed it!

youseinthehouse

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2014, 12:13:23 pm »
You're the man.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2014, 03:40:22 am »
Just amazing. Major congrats! Well deserved!

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2014, 10:26:06 am »
Wow, finally had time to watch your run! I'm still loling on how you got Elvis stuck, :O.
Also, I don't understand what happened in the ending, since in the test runs I did on 2013 the Skedars attacked Elvis always...

This run and strat are masterpieces... Thanks for joining the Elite, for studying this level enough to find those glitches and strats, and for showing how wrong some people (me included) were. I'm really glad I could watch this happening. Seriously, congratulations!

Cyberwrath87

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2014, 11:32:58 pm »
Incredible achievement! The amount of strategy and patience that went into this run was extremely impressive. Congrats!

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2014, 10:35:33 pm »
Congrats Icy on cutting the DD  :pimp:
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

SamSim

« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2014, 12:29:10 pm »
Mother of God. It's over.

Icy, you are the Edmund Hillary of Perfect Dark.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2014, 03:39:42 pm »
Defection - 2:12

Pretty good time, it's even worth some points for normal mode, lol.

Adam Miller

• AKA SyntheticPerson
    • GE
    • PD
    • My Backloggery
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2014, 04:09:45 am »
Good work Icy!
"If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life" - some guy

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2014, 05:10:34 am »
I made a pretty big discovery on how to make Escape on DLTK way easier, by decreasing the number of spawned guards during the protect part of the level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8m2L9sOhpU

This demonstration can be optimized even further if you don't look/run back towards Jonathon, and just face the spawn guard area.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2014, 08:14:52 am »
Are you sure they decrease in number? Or simply they spawn later enough?

Anyway, good job, as usual! This has no application in WR attempts, but will help for sure with completions :).

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2014, 06:46:38 pm »
Extraction DLTK 4:03 - didn't forget to activate elevator this time.