Author Topic: Post obscure happenings HERE!  (Read 20897 times)

QuiZNo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Post obscure happenings HERE!
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2016, 09:29:01 pm »
So I was emulatening DLTK with Trent's magnum and invincibility, shot one of the ayyliums to get the shark gun, headed upwards and saw this:

How did he get here? He's not doing anything. He's just standing there.

[edit] He died when I shot him.

A Y Y
Y
Y

L M A O
M
A
O

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2016, 09:43:29 pm »
Always there when Health is set high enough. Not obscure. My guess is there is some connection between the Maian and the fact that you always hear Elvis say "We have to get out of here!" after blowing up the engines, no matter where Elvis actually is in the level.

He survives because the game does X damage at some trigger point and around 800% health, it no longer kills. Same thing happens on Air Force One when the timed mine detonates, the pilots take X damage but survive on DLTK and stabilize the plane themselves. This is why DLTK is faster than PA on one level.

Most irrel poster of 2016

• Quakeulf
    • Quakeulf
    • twitch
    • Colonthree Enterprises
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2016, 12:11:47 am »
I think Detstar WAY back in the day (like 2001-2002) determined that this Maian guard takes damage somehow/somewhere on normal runs and always dies, he can absorb whatever damage on DLTK and always live.
Whoa, that's absurd.
:3c

Most irrel poster of 2016

• Quakeulf
    • Quakeulf
    • twitch
    • Colonthree Enterprises
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2016, 09:00:06 am »
I played some Villa A on my PAL N64 yesterday and for some reason just once the opening cinematic played in Farsight/X-ray-vision without me using any cheats. I don't have any add-ons/mods to my N64 either (except for the Memory Pak), or a Gameshark. I tried looking for this glitch on the internet but could only find people playing the level with the all guns-cheat etc. Is this also a known glitch from way back?
:3c

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2016, 04:04:15 pm »

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2016, 11:27:39 am »

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2016, 01:52:04 pm »
On G5, there's a patrolling guard in the laser switch area who seems to have wonky AI. Most of the time he's pretty normal, but on rare occasion, he stands by the 2nd switch as if he was a regular guard. Ace has said he's experienced this only a couple times. On top, I also got a video of him being frozen in place in the middle of the room:

My interest is that if there were a way to control this, we could abuse it for speedrunning. In particular, we can skip firing at him on Agent, which would save a fair bit of time. A similar case happens on Swiss's untied where the patrolling guard is in his line of sight due to idle animations (I'm guessing), and is very key to him getting 0:35.

I already did a run count of when it occurred to see if it could be related to the Camspy cutscene glitch, but that turned out to be false.

Any ideas? Henrik?

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2016, 06:50:15 pm »
When will we manipulate the guards to turn off the lasers for us on SA / PA?
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2016, 02:24:17 am »
I summoned a Dragon into my inventory...

Playing Rescue Agent, I grabbed the Lab Clothes and upon rewatching, nothing else, but I somehow created a Dragon/Superdragon into my hands, I didn't wear the disguise, and it seemed to replace Unarmed. I have never seen this before and I have no idea why this happened.

I think I may have backswitched as I grabbed it since I wanted to go Falcon 2->Unarmed, so perhaps the game deleted the wrong item and got all fucky? More importantly, I literally created a weapon out of thin air, so perhaps this can be replicated beneficially? Also, as soon as I switched off, I couldn't get back to it, as you can see me backswitch to Falcon 2 to kill the Med Key scientist.

Salty for duping 1:29 because of this. :kappa:

Edit: After some further testing, what seems to happen is backswitching while beginning to wear the Lab Clothes switches you to a nulled Dragon. It only works if you had one before, but it's trivially easy to perform. Also works on Air Base with the Disguise, and with Laptop Gun via cheats. Unfortunately, I see nothing useful out of this.

I think this acts like the Drugspy/Dragon glitch, except it needs to be done manually.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:03:05 am by Icy »

SGT RAGEQUIT

• Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2016, 08:36:27 am »
I summoned a Dragon into my inventory...

Edit: After some further testing, what seems to happen is backswitching while beginning to wear the Lab Clothes switches you to a nulled Dragon. It only works if you had one before, but it's trivially easy to perform. Also works on Air Base with the Disguise, and with Laptop Gun via cheats. Unfortunately, I see nothing useful out of this.

happened to me playing rescue agent as well

Gumnas

« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2016, 10:43:39 am »
Always there when Health is set high enough. Not obscure. My guess is there is some connection between the Maian and the fact that you always hear Elvis say "We have to get out of here!" after blowing up the engines, no matter where Elvis actually is in the level.

He survives because the game does X damage at some trigger point and around 800% health, it no longer kills.

If you play Attack Ship on Agent with the FarSight, and aim with it on the place the Maian appears on DLTK, you'll found the shape of a shield on the ground. My guess is the Maian was supposed to behave just like the Rocket Laucher guard on Infiltration and the Shield guy in Deep Sea, but was scrapped as the doors to its room are locked on Agent.

Benobot99

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Benobot99's Website
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2016, 02:59:48 am »
Ok, so I was just playing Crash Site on Perfect Agent, and I was on my way towards the stationary drones/turrets at the end. There are 2 guards before that who have K7 Avengers. I killed the one on the right but missed the one on the left, so I backed up and hid behind the corner while reloading. Then the guard FIRES THROUGH THE WALL and kills me! How?????? It wasn't even the edge of the wall/corner, I was pretty far back and completely out of his line of sight. I also had a good amount of health, not even red. This is probably the most BS death I've had in PD, lmao.
I finally earned Goldeneye points, wow.

Joshua Nash

• I sell propane and propane accessories.
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2016, 01:40:18 pm »
Ok, so I was just playing Crash Site on Perfect Agent, and I was on my way towards the stationary drones/turrets at the end. There are 2 guards before that who have K7 Avengers. I killed the one on the right but missed the one on the left, so I backed up and hid behind the corner while reloading. Then the guard FIRES THROUGH THE WALL and kills me! How?????? It wasn't even the edge of the wall/corner, I was pretty far back and completely out of his line of sight. I also had a good amount of health, not even red. This is probably the most BS death I've had in PD, lmao.
Is there a link to a video?

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2016, 01:55:13 pm »
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:10 pm »
Doesn't Randy mention that in his video about that alternative path? Or someone said something about it on the podcast? The walls there are kinda glitchy.

Benobot99

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Benobot99's Website
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2016, 05:39:55 pm »

Unfortunately no, I was just playing offline and I don't record my gameplay. If I was streaming it, it would have been made into a highlight for sure.
And vitorr, I have no idea. Glitchy for sure.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2016, 09:47:06 pm »
Asking how something happened without providing a video is a great strat.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

Benobot99

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Benobot99's Website
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2016, 12:25:17 am »
Alright, since you guys dislike posts without video, here's a glitch that I'm sure some (or all) of you might know. It's the first time I've ever experienced it. I died on the same frame that I paused, so the death music kept playing. xD Sorry in advance for crap audio quality, I used my laptop instead of my phone because my phone has no space for recording video (I should have turned up the tv volume though). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrtnK3tkqoA

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2016, 12:35:22 am »
....the heck did I just watch, lol.

Here's a better one. PD TNS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5DG0RMnC1A

:nesquik:

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2016, 01:39:39 pm »
I don't remember this happening, pretty weird. It actually started like 2 mins before, and then when I used a "second" boost I thought Jo was having a heart attack or something.

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2016, 04:16:15 pm »
lol, creepy

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »
There are countless audio glitches in the game that carry over. The most common is when a line of speech plays at the beginning of a mission, or when you pause and kill the music.

That said, that's the first time I've seen the Combat Boost variant. Pretty neat that you had a pair of heart beats going!

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2016, 06:54:55 pm »
My CS PA 1:51 run is full of weird music. This type of stuff seems to come up more often as the game ages for some reason.

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2016, 02:19:08 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjIUAkBDqcI
This guard would never pull the trigger..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6OPd54SsJo
After getting backed a bunch on a practice run, I got shot again and instead of getting backed again, it almost looks like I teleport forward instead as the guard shot me. Timer sill runs the same during the sudden forward movement. If this could only be utilized to gain time on normal mode somehow..

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2016, 07:30:20 am »
That mini-teleport thing looks like another case of the "sliding glitch". It's been seen before on Villa by Swiss, Defense by Axel, and Deep Sea by Karl.

Very cool you got it recorded! Still seems like it has something to do with hitting a corner of the geometry of the level.

Joshua Nash

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2016, 12:33:53 pm »
 :LOL:

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2016, 01:01:33 pm »
I actually have a theory where we will see more (and new) obscure happenings in the future just because cartridges are getting older. Who knows what glitches may arise when these cartridges keep on aging. Anyone who ever thought about this? Is there actually any reason to believe in this theory?

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2016, 01:13:02 pm »
Yeah, after 50 years of use the BU9850 IC on the cartridge starts to show its life and behaves erratically. It causes a glitch to make the timer run slower and makes 19 endings more frequent on Attack Ship Agent.

Source: I'm an electrical engineer.
Live stream daily for 8 hours at: www.twitch.tv/swissrollz

AceCorp CEO | GE/PD speedrunner | Pop Music aficionado | Turncoat Trio Member | Certified Dam SA Instructor

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2016, 06:28:18 pm »
I was being serious :(

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2016, 07:53:34 pm »
the attack ship part must be serious though, for sure

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:41 am »
Out of curiosity Cara, what makes you think the code will somehow run differently and execute scripts in the future? Like a capacitor dying out after 20 years? I'm just trying to see your point of view and logic here. Just treat the thing as any other piece of electronics. You know, stuff that tends to stop working after a long time. :nesquik:

AceCorp CEO | GE/PD speedrunner | Pop Music aficionado | Turncoat Trio Member | Certified Dam SA Instructor

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2016, 02:02:11 pm »
duh the code is going to stay the same, but as hardware gets older you might see cartridges that aren't read out properly by the console, causing all sorts of ridic errors?

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2016, 10:04:09 pm »
cooked frozen
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

bke16

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2016, 10:58:08 am »
My answer was too dickish so here is a proper reply:

As long as you load the game properly (so just plugging it in nicely, no matter how many times you do it) there won't be any sort of "ridic" error. BUT - if you fiddle around with the cartridge while the console and game are both on, something bad *could* happen - some of the pins on the cartridge circuitry could lose connection with the N64's game slot. You know, the game cart's pins are the male connector and fit nicely into the female connector of the console game slot. But any disconnect between the two will obviously cause something unintended to happen and this is what things like a crooked cartridge do.

What are the pins on the game's circuitry for? Well most controllers have power pins, I/O pins, interrupt pins, ADCs, clock pins, etc and the ones that power the game are the voltage and ground pins. You can look what type of pins are on an N64 cart because every cart has the same set, but the key thing to note are the I/O and address pins which the cartridge and the game use to communicate with each other. The game for example can send a signal to the console via data pin to tell the console to load something (like a graphics routine) in the game. It does this because the console has a healthy amount of RAM and can store a big chunk of the important game routines.

Now if you tilt a cartridge and cause the power OR ground pin (the two main pins to provide power to any electronic device) lose connection the game will shut down. But if the game's data pins lose connection, garbled data (or possibly nothing) gets sent to the console. Now the console doesn't know what to do because it's receiving shit instead of game code and it just so happens that certain combinations of random data can cause random glitches occur. Maybe the wrong set of graphics get loaded, but nothing extreme like "better RNG" will happen. 0.0001% chance.

Now to actually answer your question, over a long period of time I could see one of the data pins failing on the N64 cartridge because of dust or damage to the circuit. It's possible. But it's very unlikely this could cause random obscure glitches to occur that I mentioned above, even though the data pin would be sending nonsense or nothing at all. Why? Because the game would struggle to load its main bootup code so you'd probably see a black screen or a crash instead. Having a pin fail AFTER bootup on the other hand is different. But this never happens unless the pin is physically detached from the N64's game slot which is caused by tilting the cartridge, etc.

Here is another interesting thing. When you turn on the console, the game slot's 3.3V and GND power pins are activated and ready to provide power to a game once it's slotted in. So if you turn on the console without a cartridge initially placed in and then place one after the console is on, why doesn't the game bootup? I'm not sure but I suspect the way the console is programmed it only tries to load the game image after the power button is flicked, and not any time after.

So there are better odds of having obscure glitches occur when you play around with the cartridge while its on, rather than have it turned on after decades of non-use. I hope that answers your question, mate. :nesquik:

SGT RAGEQUIT

• Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2016, 02:34:24 am »

Joshua Nash

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2016, 09:50:54 am »
haha wtf

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2016, 03:40:23 pm »
ok

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2016, 06:32:35 pm »

SGT RAGEQUIT

• Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud

ZeroRBDash15

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2017, 10:03:38 pm »
Had this unique way of getting the disguise in Rescue happen today. Never seen it on any version of Perfect Dark and thought it was pretty funny.

Representative of PDX. May it live on forever :P Keepo

♡ Madoka ♡

• PD
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2017, 09:43:55 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn1GUiXn2zM this happened on crash site earlier

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2017, 01:00:31 pm »
Pretty sure i've seen/done that one before (think someone posted a video somewhere around here. Maybe XBLA topic). Think you can jump on top of the wall there with enough height and get OoB.

ZeroRBDash15

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2017, 03:10:33 pm »
Yeah it can happen when you get boosted certain ways as you are about to get close to the wall. Very rare thing indeed. You can also use the hover bike to fall down there as well. I use it as a safe strat for Special agent rta runs.
Representative of PDX. May it live on forever :P Keepo

♡ Madoka ♡

• PD
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2017, 09:37:02 pm »
ah okay, i checked this whole thread and didn't see anybody post this.I didn't think it would be too useful but figured i'd post anyways.

Azarokkusu

• twitch
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2017, 03:11:18 am »
I was playing on emulator earlier because my n64 is in another room and I CBF getting up (also I don't have a capture card so RIP running on the-elite) and I shot a guard who was throwing a grenade mid throw. The grenade dropped to the ground, I ran, but it didn't explode. I went over to it and I couldn't pick it up either. Still exploded when I shot it though. I don't think it was an emulator bug though since the other grenades all worked fine, I believe it was a timing bug, I must have shot the guard at just the right time in the grenade animation that it wasn't given instructions to wait and explode yet, but after it was no longer able to be picked up.

SGT RAGEQUIT

• Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2017, 01:32:48 pm »
Birdie got PD points

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2017, 07:41:39 am »
Im sure this isnt new but still thought it was pretty funny. Guard falling out of the tower on area 51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCVYxqtohxI&feature=youtu.be

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2017, 11:01:31 am »
Yeah there's a tiny gap in the collision geometry that you can fall through with some precise positioning:

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2017, 11:51:31 am »
But is it more precise than the Depot warp