Author Topic: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)  (Read 70665 times)

Wyst3r

  • Posts: 4164
  • Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2018, 12:13:58 pm »
Updated my original Surface 1 Spawn Guards post with info on spawn probabilities and locations, including a pretty picture.

Icy

  • Posts: 1907
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2018, 03:58:54 pm »
Just like with Perfect Dark, I've been reading through all the code in Goldeneye provided by Your Eliteness as seen here and compiled a giant list of various facts. I didn't find quite as much new and interesting information here as Goldeneye is the simpler, more popular game, has been around for a couple extra years, and Henrik has already covered most of the juicy stuff in this topic already. Goldeneye also, while being the simpler game, has significantly messier coding and I chose to be fairly conservative with the facts that I collected to avoid any errors as much as possible. Still, hopefully you can learn a few new things, put numerical values to what you think you know about, and get a little entertainment!

General

Guards have an 11 / 256 (~4.3%) chance to perform a grenade pulling animation, but if the guard is unable to pull grenades, or their individual grenade RNG check fails (different chance for different guards), they will do something else (I think).
Guards who dual-wield any weapon can never pull grenades.
Guards have a 1 in 256 chance to do an idle animation per frame.
For idle animations, guards have a 5 / 256 chance (~1.95%) to sneeze. The other 5 idle animations have a 50 in 256 chance (one with a 51 in 256 chance).
Scientists have 4 "hacking animations". 3 of them have a 60 in 256 chance to occur, while the 4th has a 76 in 256 chance to occur.
When a guard hears a shot (and is loaded?) they have a 50% chance of firing back (or at least performing a firing animation), and a 50% chance of looking around first.
Alarm guards must be within 10 units of the alarm to activate them.
Guards who are able to clone will always do so if they can.
Scientists become angry after getting shot twice, regardless of their health. Because of this, the only way to get angry scientists on Agent is by 2x limb shots with Klobb (pretty sure 2x slaps will always kill).
Angry scientists' AI are exactly like normal guards. Auto-aim works on them.
Scientists have slightly different AI on Facility, Silo, and Caverns.
Most guards in the game have 40 health.
Targeting guards that do a sharp angle change can become frozen, but I'm not sure the specifics as to why. This only occurs on NTSC-U, and not PAL or NTSC-J. They must lose health to become unfrozen, but can later become re-frozen. All dual-wielding Moonraker guards and third Baron can also become similarly frozen with a rolling animation under more unknown specifics, but this can occur on all versions.

---
Not all end cinemas can display a weapon in Bond's hand, and not all end cinemas can display an object (knife, mine, etc) in Bond's hand. They are as follows:

Types:
Guns: Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher, PP7, PP7 Silenced, DD44, Klobb, KF7, ZMG, D5K, D5K Silenced, Phantom, AR33, RC-P90, Shotgun, Automatic Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, Cougar Magnum, Golden Gun, Moonraker, Silver PP7, Gold PP7.
Objects: Hunting Knife, Throwing Knife, Grenade, Timed Mine, Proximity Mine, Remote Mine.

Cutscenes:
Nothing: Dam, Runway, Cradle
Guns only (PP7 otherwise): Facility, Archives
Guns only no GL/RL (PP7 otherwise): Jungle, Depot
Guns and Objects (PP7 otherwise): Silo, Frigate, Caverns
Guns and Objects (Unarmed otherwise): Surface 1, Bunker 1, Surface 2, Bunker 2, Statue, Streets, Train, Control, Aztec
Forced Golden Gun: Egypt

PP7 forcibly displayed on Facility and Silo is PP7 Silenced. PP7 is forcibly displayed on Archives even if you don't have one.
---

Dam

Jumping off Dam fades out when your height drops to below -17000 or 5.8s passes.
When the alarm goes off, 2 guards before the double gate are spawned and immediately run to Bond, as well as the two guards in the building where the modem console is, and the alarm guard if he pulled the alarm. This only happens on the first alarm pull, and any others after do nothing. If you are past the locked gate for the first alarm pull, the spawns will still appear but no guards will run to you.
The two guards who patrol around the double gate at the start will not attack you until they reach their destination or are disrupted. One goes near the tower of silver crates, while the other goes to the destructible boxes nearby the gate. Occasionally their pathing will mess up and they'll spin in circles and be harmless.
Most tunnel guards during an attack have a 25 / 256 (~9.8%) chance of leaving their spot and becoming a normal guard.
Most tunnel guards have 40 health and 20 armor.

Facility

The scientist who runs through the level does so after 4 minutes.
Ouromov has 1000 armor and 300 health.
Trev completes 3s after "Trevelyan: For England - James.".
If your health is 76 or less, Bond says "I almost killed myself getting here, Alec".
If your health is 77-178, Bond says "It was a bit tricky Alec.".
If your health is 179 or more, Bond says" It was too easy, Alec.".
Doak gives you the Door Decoder 5s after Bond says "Time to leave, Dr. Doak.". He then becomes a generic scientist running away after 8s.

Runway

5 of the 6 guards along the runway are treated as spawn guards. The one closest to the plane is a normal guard.
Spawn guards respawn every 2s.
Spawn guards are spawned in different places, depending on where you are (just like on Streets and Depot).
Spawn guards have an 80 / 256 (31.25%) chance to spawn with 1x Klobb with 40 health, an 80 / 256 (31.25%) chance to spawn with 1x KF7 with 40 health and 10 armor, and a 96 / 256 (37.5%) chance to spawn with 2x Klobb with 40 health and 20 armor.

Surface 1

Spawn guards have a 201 / 256 (~78.5%) chance to spawn with a Sniper Rifle, and a 55 / 256 (~21.4%) chance to spawn with a Klobb. However, if a spawning guard is within 1000 units of you, he'll always have a Klobb. Both types have the same chance to pull a Grenade.
Spawn guards delete themselves if they're 3000 units or more away from you.
Spawn guards initially take 4s to spawn, then will respawn every 2s. However, the 4s timer begins even if they can't spawn yet, so it's only worth noting for LTK/DLTK.
Spawn guards don't spawn during the opening cutscene, but their 2s timers do start cycling.
When a spawn guard tries to spawn, they have a 55 / 256 chance (~21.4%) chance of doing so if you're wielding Unarmed, Hunting Knife, Throwing Knife, PP7, PP7 Silenced, or Sniper Rifle. They have a 205 / 256 (~80%) chance of doing so if you're wielding Klobb, Grenade Launcher, or KF7. If you have anything else wielded, they have a 100% chance of doing so.
Spawn guards are spawned in different places, depending on where you are (just like on Streets and Depot).
The level ends when Bond's height is low enough and you're in the correct area (vent tower). This is why crouching at the end is slightly faster.

Bunker 1

Spawn guards will always be KF7 guards with 20 armor if you've been playing the level for less than 2 minutes.
If 2 minutes have passed, spawn guards have a 55 in 256 (~21.4%) chance to spawn with KF7 and 20 armor, a 100 in 256 (~39.1%) chance to spawn as a Klobb guard with 80 armor, and a 101 in 256 (~39.4%) chance to spawn as a DD44 guard with 60 armor. All Klobb and DD44 spawns also have a 101 in 256 (~39.4%) chance to dual-wield.
Only one of the two computer mainframes needs to be undamaged for the Boris objective.
Spawn guards respawn every 20s.

---
Boris Logic:

If Boris surrenders, 3s must pass, you must be within 15 units from him, and you must have him at gunpoint to make him walk towards the computer room.

If Boris surrenders, 10s passes, you are 80 units away from him, and he is not at gunpoint, Boris will go somewhere else (?) with a 51 / 256 (~19.9%) chance of walking, and a 205 / 256 (~80%) chance of jogging. Once he reaches where he wants to go and stops, he'll check if you're within 20 units or have him at gunpoint. If not, he'll repeat what he did with another location. If Boris is within 100 units of somewhere (glass doors?), he will run to the exit and fail the objective.

When Bond says "Take me to the mainframe terminal!", Boris will walk to the computer mainframes. Exactly every 5s (10s, 15s, 20s, etc) since he started walking, if you are 50 units away, and Boris is not at gunpoint, he will then go somewhere else (?) under the same logic when he surrenders and walks/jogs away.

When Boris reaches the computer mainframes under Bond's command and at least one of the two is undamaged, Boris will begin the objective and continue doing so as long as he isn't shot and both mainframes aren't damaged. After 21s, the objective completes and the mainframe becomes active.
---

There's a bit more fluff code in there but it isn't relevant. From what I can tell, Boris decides where he wants to go based on some sort of distance towards Bond. Whatever it is, it has to occur at exactly 5s (or 10s, 15s, etc) after he starts walking towards the mainframes (when going for running Boris strat). There are only a handful of locations Boris will go and the ideal one for runs is to the back side of the mainframe room.

Silo

Ouromov has 300 armor and 200 health. He will run when you're within 50 units of him, he has less than 200 health, or after 30s. He has a 50/50 chance of standing or kneeling when he shoots at you. When he starts to run, he becomes invincible.
There are 6 guards that are completely idle until you reach a certain height. My guess why this is coded is to ensure certain guards aren't performing an idle animation when you see them or alerted when you make noise?
The explosion countdown starts after the second opening cinema. It starts after 5s.
If you throw a Plastique before the countdown starts, you'll have a lower countdown timer.
The roof of one of the silos opens when you're Unarmed, and re-closes when you're wielding PP7 Silenced.

Frigate

Hostage takers shoot hostages after 3s on Agent, 2.5s on SA, and 2s on 00A. After that, they become normal guards.
If a hostage taker is shot but does not do a hurt animation (shot their hat off), they will become a normal guard but be unable to do anything.

Surface 2

Spawn guards don't begin spawning until 5s have passed. After that, they will respawn every 2s (so 7s for initial spawns). They will not spawn during the opening cutscene, but their timers will start cycling.
When a spawn guard tries to spawn, they have a 55 / 256 chance (~21.4%) chance of doing so if you're wielding Unarmed, Hunting Knife, Throwing Knife, PP7, PP7 Silenced, or Sniper Rifle. They have a 205 / 256 (~80%) chance of doing so if you're wielding Klobb, Grenade Launcher, or KF7. If you have anything else wielded, they have a 100% chance of doing so.

Bunker 2

There are 10 patrolling guards in total, 2 on one path (clipboard room), 4 on a second path (around nearby the cell), and 4 on a third path (through the drone hall).

Statue

Janus guards have 40 health and 20 armor.
All spawn guards have an 81 / 256 chance (~31.6%) chance to run, and a 175 / 256 (~68.4%) chance to jog when looking for Bond. When they are leaving the level, they will always run.
Spawn guards respawn every 2s and start spawning immediately. The first 4 spawns cannot pull Grenades, but all others after can.
New spawn guards after Valentin on the way to the statue occur if the previous ones have died or left the level.
Spawn guards each have 4 locations they can spawn in, depending on where you are in the level.
When talking to Valentin, you must stay within 80 units to continue the speeches, and within 200 to avoid failing the objective. His speeches last 30s. His final speech lasts 5s.
Trev starts talking when he stops moving (which is how the Trev shot works).
Trev asking you to put your gun away temporarily stops his speech timers. After Bond says "Alec? You're Janus?", the objective will complete in 5s.
The Trev objective fails if you fire at guards or go beyond 140 units of a spot near the statue.
When you're within 50 units of a certain spot near the helicopter, it will trigger the 15s countdown. Natalya getting up is separate, though both will usually happen at the same time, since the triggers are close together.

Archives

Mishkin starts his speeches when you're within 30 units of him. The objective completes 30s after talking to him, which is 5s after Bond says "Yes, it proves that Janus was involved in the Severnaya incident.".
Mishkin stops talking if you are 40 units or more away from him.
When Mishkin get angry, his AI is identical to an angry scientist, except he can't pull grenades.
If a gun is shot around Natalya, she has a 50/50 chance of hiding in the attic or an office room. While scared, the objective will not complete when you escape. She can only go to each location once, and then will not get scared anymore.
Natalya is released as soon as she see you.
Natalya when killed will only fail after she fades out.

Streets

Spawn guards have a 35 / 256 (~13.7%) chance to have a Grenade Launcher with 40 health and 20 armor, a 120 / 256 (~46.9%) chance to have a KF7 with 40 health and 20 armor, and a 101 / 256 (~39.5%) chance to have a KF7 with 40 health and 0 armor. The running guard and the far-left guard at the start of the level are considered spawn guards and new ones won't respawn until they're dead or deleted.
The chance for at least one Grenade Launcher from 2 spawn guards is ~25.5% (1 in 3.9ish), and the chance for both Grenade Launchers from 2 spawn guards is ~1.87% (1 in 53ish).
Spawn guards and civilians are deleted if they are 800 units or more away from you.
Valentin immediately starts talking when he sees you. His speeches take 28s to complete the objective, with "Business is business, Mr. Bond. I'd like to see my competitors out of action." starting 4s before that.
If you're more than 80 units away from Valentin, he stops talking. If you're more than 500 units away, he leaves.
Valentin contacts his associates when he's 15 units away from his destination, stops moving (such as if he's shot), or is 300 units away from you.
Each set of barricade guards have a 50/50 chance of being KF7s/Rockets or Rockets/KF7.
15 civilians must die for the objective to fail.

Depot

The train door must be opened for the objective to complete (can't warp through it).
Spawn guards have a 95 / 256 (37.1%) chance to dual wield D5K with 40 health and 20 armor, an 80 / 256 (~31.3%) chance to have a D5K with 40 health and 10 armor, and an 81 / 256 (~31.6%) chance to have D5K with 40 health and no armor.
The spawn guards all have an initial 20s before spawning, that starts immediately. After that, they will respawn each on their own cycles as follows: 20s, 25s, 30s, 35s, 60s, 120s, 150s. There is no clear way to indicate which spawn guard is which, except for making note of when they first appear.
Spawn guards will not spawn while you're inside a building, unless their cycles have already begun (so if one is in the process of spawning, it still will). During the initial 20s that all spawn guards have, none can spawn and their personal cycles don't begin.

Train

Guards without armor have a 26 / 256 (~10.2%) chance to side-step when they would otherwise fire, which them gives them permanent, more fluid movement, instead of hiding behind boxes.
All box guards with armor will always be targeting you. They all have 40 health and 20 armor.
The two black guards in the second car when spawned each have a 55 / 256 (~21.5%) chance to jog to you.
The four randomly placed black guards in the fifth car when spawned have a 121 / 256 (~47.2%) chance to have a D5K and 60 health, and a 135 / 256 (~52.7%) chance to dual-wield ZMGs and have 80 health.
The four black guards (I think all of them) in the cabins and bathrooms when spawned have a 51 / 256 (~20%) chance to have a D5K with 40 health and 20 armor, a 50 / 256 (~19.5%) chance to dual-wield ZMGs with 40 health and 40 armor, and a 155 / 256 (~60.6%) chance to dual-wield ZMGs with 60 health and 40 armor. The two guards who appear after the brakes are all destroyed always dual-wield ZMGs with 60 health and 40 armor.
Guards who are chasing after you will jog to your location until you're within firing range, or until they stop. Anecdotally, these guards (especially the last two in locks room) seem to stop a lot before reaching you, perhaps due to too much lag or something. When they stop, they have a 55 / 256 (~21.5%) chance to try to jog to you again if you're more than 200 units away, and a 201 / 256 (~78.5%) chance to jog to you regardless of your distance. If they do the guaranteed jog and stop once they reach their destination, they will wait for 1s and look towards you. Then they do another RNG call and have a 55 / 256 (~21.5%) chance to jog to you again, and have a 201 / 256 (~78.5%) chance to wait 10s before jogging again. They have very messy AI, but will chase you forever in this manner.
Trev will begin his speech only after you enter the room, but will change the music when he sees you. Shooting at them, leaving through the door, or being within 25 units of a spot near them will start the countdown.
Natalya will be shot by Ouromov 30s after Trev says "That's close enough!".
After 20s from when Ouromov was killed, Natalya will run towards you whenever you're near the train exit.
After 50s from when Ouromov was killed, Natalya will say "He's in Cuba!" and complete the objective.
After 75s from when Ouromov was killed, Natalya will say "Got it! You're a slug-head, Boris!" and complete the objective.
After 15s from when anyone was attacking, Trev will say "Good luck with the floor, James!". If Xenia is dead and faded out, this takes 30s instead. 5s after the message, the countdown starts.
Despite Nat becoming active after 20s and the countdown starting at 20s, the two slightly different triggers, as well as lag, may be why the objectives appear to complete with a few frames of leeway when using the countdown timer as a measure.

Jungle

Natalya has 80 health and 80 armor. Xenia has 100 health and 400 armor.
Natalya when targeting a guard and doing a kneeling animation can become frozen like the other frozen guard glitches, but I'm not sure the specifics as to why. This only occurs on NTSC-U, and not PAL or NTSC-J.
Xenia becomes active when you're within firing range or she is on screen. For some reason, pausing around the start of the bridge seems to trigger the "on screen" check. Perhaps it's because she's "visible" beyond the fog, and pausing causes the game to notice her?
Xenia only targets Bond and not Natalya.
There are a total of 6 spawning guards at the end of the level. They are all the same as regular guards throughout the level and can never pull grenades.
If you enter an area where guards are able to spawn and stay there without leaving for 3 minutes, 3 of the spawns will stop respawning and objective D will be complete unless Natalya is dead. After another 7 minutes (10 minutes total) without leaving the area, all spawns will stop. Leaving the area resets everything, including the objective glitch.

Control

Natalya stays in the lift until all 3 drone guns are damaged and all 6 guards have died and faded out. If your health is over 178, she says "James, you were wonderful!". If your health is 77-178, she says "James, you're hurt.". If your health is 76 or lower, she says "Oh dear, James, that didn't go so well.".
Once Natalya has reached the first console and 1s passes, she will do her head shaking animation and then say "The blast doors have been locked by the security computer.". After 15s have passed since arriving to the console and if she is not busy doing an animation, and she is on screen, she will open the locked door. This is why we use the slapping setup.
When you arrive to the other side of Nat's door and she's not doing an animation (I don't think would be since she's unloaded?), she'll start heading to the main control console. She doesn't necessarily open the door, only unlocks it and then runs to the control console, which is why she can warp it.
When Natalya arrives to the console and 1s has passed, she'll do her head shaking animation and then say "The Goldeneye is set to fire on London!". After 15s since arriving and she's not animating, the alarm will go off. After 135s, she will complete the objective, even if she's busy animating. After 145s, she'll run back to the lift.
The four crate guards have a 55 / 256 (~21.5%) to pull a grenade, a 100 / 256 (~39.1%) chance to kneel, and a 101 / 256 (~39.4%) chance to fire at you (if they can). They will always be targeting you and will perform an attack if other guards around are shot (including the pair near the Remote Mines), or if other guards are killed in their line of sight.
Trev is not invincible, but has 5000 armor. If you shoot at him or are within 100 units of him, he'll close the door and say "Too slow, James!". If he doesn't see you and isn't animating, he closes the door when you're within 50 units.
Spawning guards respawn every 1s after they're dead and faded out. After Natalya begins going back to the lift and you aren't in the main console area, spawn guards who wear hats will respawn every 40s instead of 1s.
Non-hatted guards will always spawn in the attic, while hat guards can spawn in several locations. Each of the 2 non-hatted guards have an associated glass they can go to and destroy, but can't go to the other one or double up, etc. They have a 61 / 256 (~23.8%) chance to go to their glass when spawned.
Hat guards have 40 health and 20 armor, non-hatted guards have 40 health and no armor.

Caverns

Some guards will run towards you if you have them at gunpoint, even if they are currently idle and can't see you.
The radio takes 1s to trigger the objective, but will do so even if destroyed between activating it and the objective completing.
If scientists are fired at or see another NPC shot, they will surrender. If another NPC is killed in their sight, they will run away. If they stop moving and have been shot, they will run away. If they hear gunfire, they have a 191 / 256 (~74.6%) chance to run sideways and a 65 / 256 (~25.4%) chance to do nothing. If you're in their sight and then either within 64 units or further than 192 units they will call RNG. They then have a 201 / 256 (78.5%) chance to do nothing, and a 55 / 256 (~21.5%) chance to perform a dodge if you're further than 20 units away, or will surrender if you're within 20 units. The RNG check is skipped if you have them at gunpoint.
When a scientist surrenders, they have a 2 / 256 (~0.8%) chance to run away per frame. If a shot is fired, they will run away. If you are further than 200 units away, they will run away.
When a scientist is performing a dodge, they have a 105 / 256 (~41.0%) chance to step sideways, and a 151 / 256 (~59.0%) chance to run sideways. If you're within 110 and 145 units of them, they will perform a dodge repeatedly until you're out of that distance range.
All blue hat guards in the level will chase you forever.
When Trev says "So slow, James.", spawn guards spawn and respawn every 40s. If you've been playing the level for less than 2 minutes, spawn guards will always have Automatic Shotguns with 60 health. After 2 minutes, there's a 55 / 256 (~21.5%) chance to spawn with an Automatic Shotgun with 60 health, a 100 / 256 (~39.1%) chance to spawn with an RC-P90, and a 101 / 256 (~39.4%) chance to spawn with a ZMG. All RC-P90 and ZMG spawns also have a 101 in 256 (~39.4%) chance to dual-wield.

Cradle

Trev has 170 health and 20 armor.
5 spawn guards will check to respawn every 12s. They have a 95 / 256 (~37.1%) chance to have 2x ZMG with a blue hat, an 80 / 256 (~31.3%) chance to have 2x ZMG with a purple hat, and an 81 / 256 (~31.6%) chance to have 1x ZMG with a black hat. They all have 40 health and 20 armor, but blue hats have 80 reaction speed and accuracy, purple hats have 60 reaction speed and accuracy, and black hats have 50 reaction speed and accuracy.

Aztec

Jaws has 500 health and 500 armor.
The countdown starts 5s after you upload the DAT. The countdown lasts 29s (ends at 0:01.00 instead of 0:00.00).
3 spawn guards start spawning and respawning 10s after Jaws fades out. They have 125 / 256 (~48.8%) chance to spawn with 2x Moonrakers with 40 health and 20 armor, and a 131 / 256 (~51.2%) chance to spawn with 1x Moonraker with 40 health and 10 armor.

Egypt

First Baron has 200 health and 200 armor (I think), second Baron has 500 health and 1000 armor, third Baron has 500 health and 3000 armor. When first spawned, they are invincible for 5s.
If Baron Samedi is active and you have him at gunpoint, he has a ~50% chance to perform a dodge (hop, roll, run, etc) instead of attacking.
Spawn guards don't begin spawning until 20s have passed. This timer is active as soon as the level starts and even if spawning is temporarily disabled. After that and if spawning is enabled, the 5 spawn guards spawn and respawn after each of their personal timers cycle through, which are 40s, 40s, 50s, 50s, and 60s.
Spawn guards have 20 reaction speed and accuracy after 2 minutes, 40 reaction speed and accuracy after 5 minutes, 60 reaction speed and accuracy after 10 minutes, and 80 reaction speed and accuracy after 15 minutes.
Spawn guards have a 95 / 256 (~37.1%) chance to have 2x ZMGs with 40 health and 20 armor, an 80 / 256 (~31.3%) chance to have 1x ZMG with 40 health and 10 armor, and an 81 / 256 (~31.6%) chance to have 1x ZMG with 40 health and no armor. Armorless guards appear to have slightly higher chances to pull grenades.
Spawning is temporarily disabled whenever you enter a certain area (I don't know where though).
The outro cutscene with the Baron laughing lasts 10s.

Closing

Hope you enjoyed reading all of that! If you see any major errors, let me know! :v

Wyst3r

  • Posts: 4164
  • Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2018, 04:16:50 pm »
Quote
From what I can tell, Boris decides where he wants to go based on some sort of distance towards Bond.

I looked quickly at the code and I assume you are talking about the 6E commands (although there's also a 6F in there, which I think choses the preset that is closest to Bond). That's exactly same as used by Trev on Facility (which I described in the Good/Bad Trev post)!

Edit: The 6F command works similar to 6E, at least when the first argument is 01/02/04/08, with a 180 degree field centered around Bond and then chosing the preset closest to Bond within that field. The higher bits, in this case 20, seems far more mysterious and includes an element of RNG. It might be possible to manipulate him from certain positions, to eliminate some or all of his alternatives. For example, standing near the
glass door seems to guarantee he'll run out of the main room. Though I don't know exactly why.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:45:08 am by Wyst3r »

Whiteted

  • Posts: 126
  • AF1 51 or bust
    • GE
    • PD
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #453 on: August 02, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »
Guards have a 1 in 256 chance to do an idle animation per frame.

I think it's 2 in 256 just like all the first RNG tests in a block tend to be 1 more.. isn't the test "if RNG not greater than 1" allowing for 0 and 1?

When a guard hears a shot (and is loaded?) they have a 50% chance of firing back (or at least performing a firing animation), and a 50% chance of looking around first.

Huh I didn't know this was for hearing a shot too that's pretty cool.


S1

Both [guard] types have the same chance to pull a Grenade.
I guess it's true but you've got to convert the sniper guard into a normal guard first which isn't trivial.

Spawn guards delete themselves if they're 3000 units or more away from you.
This really is irrelevantly far, even getting one of them to spawn at the start point, where they'll remain if kept unloaded, they aren't despawned when Bond is by the ladder (or if they are then it's literally just). But again it's true.

Spawn guards initially take 4s to spawn

True on 007 mode only I think?

Wyst3r

  • Posts: 4164
  • Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #454 on: August 03, 2018, 07:34:25 am »
Quote
Despite Nat becoming active after 20s and the countdown starting at 20s, the two slightly different triggers, as well as lag, may be why the objectives appear to complete with a few frames of leeway when using the countdown timer as a measure.

The difference comes from  countdown being triggered by shooting Ouromov, and Natalya being triggered by killing Ouromov. You can easily delay Nat for 20 seconds by shooting Ouro in the leg a few times. A headshot guarantees best sync.

WGJC3107

  • Posts: 16
  • tfw top 600 time ranks degen
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #455 on: August 08, 2018, 01:43:01 pm »
Does anyone know how to replicate the frozen baron / know how it works?
*insert irrel Runway 24 that I memed the hell out of in Discord here*
‘IF I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants’ - Isaac Newton

mw

  • Posts: 240
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #456 on: August 08, 2018, 03:20:01 pm »
PD Proof Moderator

SGT RAGEQUIT

  • Posts: 485
    • Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #457 on: August 08, 2018, 04:00:03 pm »
yearly reminder that there's a search function, try to use it before posting a question:


Icy

  • Posts: 1907
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #458 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:44 pm »
Some guard AI information I compiled. On the topic of version differences, a few people were thinking that if PAL is better on laggier levels, but apparently not Dam, Surface 1, etc, perhaps it's better at handling complicated guard AI, such as those all on Jungle and Train. I only included guard information for those we would encounter in normal speedruns, so it excludes many spawn guards due to alarms going off, etc.

Normal Guard: Stays idle, runs to you/fires at you when he sees/hears you. Afterwards continues chasing your former positions until seeing you again or 10s passes, if the latter, becomes idle again.
Patrolling Guard: Normal guard but will initially be moving along a path.
Targeting Guard: Aims at you and updates their angle continuously. Most are not loose and can't run around.
Cloner Guard: Normal guard, but capable of cloning if you haven't looked at him yet. They clone themselves and send off the clone instead, while staying in place and being otherwise idle.
Spawn Guard: Guards who spawn after an event.
Chaser Guard: Normal guard who does not have the 10s chasing time limit, and will chase you infinitely. Some of these guards initially begin chasing, while others are initially idle.
Semi-Chaser Guard: Chaser guards who will seemingly get lost after they reach the previous position before chasing again. They still chase infinitely, but are often checking your distance relative to them, performing RNG checks, jogging to your previous locations, and have very complicated, messy AI.

In my arbitrary definition of guard AI: slightly complicated AI < fairly complicated AI < somewhat complicated AI < complicated AI. More details available here if interested.

Dam
-6 patrolling guards.
-Most tunnel guards are normal guards but cannot leave their position. On each action, they have a ~10% chance of becoming loose.
-2 spawn guards appear around the double gate when the alarm goes off.
-The two guards in the little bunker are normal guards, but are not loose.
-The two guards in the little building near the modem console will run to your location when the alarm goes off. Otherwise, they're normal.
-The alarm guard will run to your location if he set the alarm off himself.
-All guards before the lock gate will not chase you if you're past it, including the 2 spawn guards.
-The gate guard near the switch will walk to the boxes nearby, then has the same AI as tunnel guards.
-The gate guard who goes through them will ignore you completely until he walks to his location near the silver crates or is disrupted.

Facility
-9 patrolling guards.
-The trio of guards in the hallway nearby the two scientist rooms will always run if loaded or kneel otherwise. They're constantly checking if you're in their line of sight.
-Some normal guards can clone.
-Trev is always active and walking around.
-Scientists have fairly complicated AI and the ones near computers are frequently doing hacking animations.
-Dr. Doak has slightly complicated AI.
-One scientist has a 4 minute timer (I believe the one to the right side room early on), who will then run through the normally locked door which is console-activated (near the start). If he ever sees you within the first 4 minutes, he doesn't do this. Afterwards, he becomes a normal scientist.

Runway
-2 patrolling guards.
-The guard closest to the plane is a normal guard, but the other 5 along the Runway are placeholders for spawn guards.

Surface 1
-5 patrolling guards, 4 normal guards.
-There are 4 spawn guards that begin spawning after certain conditions are met. They have fairly complicated AI and are chasers.

Bunker 1
-2 patrolling guards.
-The alarm guard will run to the alarm and ring it initially, then becomes a normal guard.
-Boris has somewhat complicated AI
-3 spawn guards who are chasers when the alarm goes off. They spawn indefinitely.

Silo
-15 patrolling guards.
-Scientists have fairly complicated AI and are frequently doing hacking animations.
-Ouromov has slightly complicated AI.
-6 guards are completely inactive until you reach a certain height value, which they are always checking for. Afterwards, they become normal guards. I'm pretty sure these are the ones near Ouromov.
-All crate guards are targeting guards.
-Most normal guards can clone.

Frigate
-All guards are either normal, takers, or hostages. Nothing special here.

Surface 2
-6 patrolling guards, and the key guard is normal.
-4 spawning guards who are chasers. They spawn immediately and indefinitely.

Bunker 2
-10 patrolling guards.
-Most normal guards can clone.
-The jailor guard has slightly complicated AI, but is mostly a patrolling guard who becomes a normal guard.

Statue
-4 spawning guards who are chasers. They spawn immediately and indefinitely. 4 more spawning guards appear after you trigger Trev.
-Valentin, Trev, Natalya, and Mishkin have slightly complicated AI, but only one of them typically exists at the same time.
-After getting the FR and running back after the special scripts trigger, there will be several spawned guards, including Mishkin.

Archives
-7 patrolling guards. One of them (nearest to the start) is the messenger who has slightly complicated AI if you wait in the room for the conversation to finish.
-Most normal guards can clone.
-Mishkin has slightly complicated AI, Natalya has fairly complicated AI.
-The two interrogation guards become normal after they're triggered to attack.

Streets
-2 spawning guards who are chasers. The running guard and the far left guard opposite of the Tank are placeholders for spawn guards.
-Valentin has slightly complicated AI.
-Civilians are essentially 2 spawning guards who roam around.
-The KF7/Rocket set guards are spawned, but are mostly normal except RL guards aren't loose.

Depot
-7 spawning guards who have somewhat complicated AI involving timers, where they go, what they do when you're camping in a building, etc. They usually don't have enough time to begin spawning on normal speedruns (timers are 20s for all plus individually an extra 20s, 25s, 30s, 35s, 60s, 120s, 150s).
-The rest of the guards are normal.

Train
-Most of the crate guards in the first two cars are targeting guards, while the others are normal guards who are not loose. The targeting ones are those who have body armor.
-The four randomly placed black guards in the fifth car, the lone guard in the sixth car, the three guards in the third and fourth car not in a side room, and the three guards outside are all normal guards who are not loose.
-The other six black guards are semi-chasers who activate after certain conditions.
-The rest of the guards are semi-chasers who activate after certain conditions.
-Ouromov, Trev, Natalya, and Xenia all have fairly complicated AI with timers, checks, etc.

Jungle
-Natalya has complicated AI involving evasion, commenting, choosing who to fire, running up to where you are, doing animations, and more.
-All normal guards on this level have to decide whether to attack you or Natalya, which involves a bunch of complicated AI.
-All crate guards at the end, and in the side tunnel are targeting guards.
-The 6 crate guards at the end are placeholders for spawning guards. Spawning guards will try to run to specific places and then become targeting guards. They all have timers, and there is also a global spawning timer that is active whenever you're in a place in the level where spawn guards can spawn.
-Xenia is a chaser guard who has slightly complicated AI on when she activates. She doesn't ever target Natalya.
-There is one patrolling guard in the cave who is mostly a normal guard.
-A couple guards in the cave can clone.

Control
-Natalya has somewhat complicated AI.
-Boris and Trev have slightly complicated AI.
-The crate guards are all targeting guards. The rest of the guards are normal.

Caverns
-3 patrolling guards.
-Trev has fairly complicated AI.
-All blue hat guards are semi-chasers. They can become active just by pointing your gun at them, even with invisibility.
-Many (but not all) normal guards after the spiral can also become active just by pointing your gun at them.
-Scientists have somewhat complicated AI, which is the most complicated compared to Facility and Silo scientists.

Cradle
-Trev has somewhat complicated AI.
-5 spawning guards who are chasers. They spawn immediately and indefinitely.

Aztec
-All crate guards are targeting guards.
-Jaws and all other guards are normal guards.

Egypt
-Baron has fairly complicated AI.
-Spawning guards are a bit complicated, but they don't appear until after a minute, so they don't really matter, just that there are timers ongoing.
-The rest of the guards are normal.

Wuldntuliktono

  • Posts: 97
    • GE
    • PD
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #459 on: August 09, 2018, 07:48:52 am »
The bunker 2 jailer guard only becomes active after you open the cell dpor which is why if you warp that door he wont react to you and will die in one slap.

Wyst3r

  • Posts: 4164
  • Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #460 on: September 15, 2018, 05:31:40 am »

Icy

  • Posts: 1907
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #461 on: October 02, 2018, 10:41:24 pm »
With huge shoutouts to Prism019/TheCubeMaster019 for creating a version-based function explorer, and helping compile different functions, I analyzed all the functions that are changed on different versions. PAL and Jap have identical coding, while NTSC has original coding. The numbers listed with each level is the numerical function if you want to explore them yourself.

Nothing too exciting, mind you.

Statue 1009 (PAL/Jap only):
-On PAL/Jap, if Val dies, all objectives fail.

Train 1003
-On PAL/Jap, Xenia only needs to be shot to death to trigger the longer countdown, as opposed to needing to fade out. Likewise with Nat for the shorter countdown. On NTSC, you can kill Xenia, but if she takes too long to die (slow death animation), you won't get the longer countdown.

Jungle 0409
-On PAL/Jap, when Nat finds a target and is shooting, a 5s timer starts after each shot (or more likely, firing animation?) to check when to leave the shooting function, as opposed to just waiting for Nat to stop moving. This is likely what fixes the Frozen Natalya Glitch, since the game on NTSC must think she's stuck moving while firing, despite not doing so. I would imagine targetting guards have a similar difference which is related to the Frozen Guard Glitch, but that doesn't appear anywhere in their functions.

Jungle 040B
-On PAL/Jap, same as above, but also while Nat is evading and shooting. Baron Samedi also has evasive movements, but no coding changes, so perhaps that's why Frozen Baron Glitch occurs on all versions? Dual-wielding Moonraker guards can also freeze in the same way, so the animation must just get into an infinite loop. Technically, this would imply Xenia could too, but her firing animations probably don't allow it to happen.

Jungle 1002
-On PAL/Jap, a different flag is set when you go to the exit the level. I'm not sure what the purpose of this difference is.

Cradle 041D
-On PAL/Jap, when you complete the level the game checks if you're at pad 0074 and 0094 to decide if you survive in the outro. On NTSC, it only checks pad 0074.

Cradle 041F
-On PAL/Jap, an extra property is set to Bond during the outro.

Your Eliteness

  • Posts: 1592
    • GE
    • PD
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #462 on: October 03, 2018, 12:03:49 am »
Jungle 1002
-On PAL/Jap, a different flag is set when you go to the exit the level. I'm not sure what the purpose of this difference is.

The NTSC version mistakenly uses a flag for two purposes. One is related to spawn ramping near the end. The other is the Nat completed objective. On NTSC, if you stand in a particular spot near the end area for 3 minutes then the Nat objective will become completed.

Guado

  • Posts: 189
    • Guado
    • GE
    • PD
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #463 on: October 04, 2018, 10:23:20 am »
Quote
Cradle 041D
-On PAL/Jap, when you complete the level the game checks if you're at pad 0074 and 0094 to decide if you survive in the outro. On NTSC, it only checks pad 0074.

Is this why it's possible to die on cradle and still complete the mission (/unlock Gold PP7)?
90+ hrs into XC2 NG+, going for 100%. Be back when I get bored.

Whiteted

  • Posts: 126
  • AF1 51 or bust
    • GE
    • PD
Re: The Goldeneye Facts Topic (Speedrunning ONLY!)
« Reply #464 on: October 05, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »
Mine throws & 'clipping' (particularly on caverns.. SA?)

Happy dabfest 2!
Aiming to make an easier mine throw for caverns SA I decided to look at how mine throws work. It's actually really neat. Key points:
  • Strafing a throw only adds 5% to the speed
  • Unloaded mines always skip and skid, potentially travelling a lot further than the original throw
  • Unloaded mines can warp objects such as the glass or boxes, though not commonly
  • Unloaded mines do not collide with walls, ceilings or seemingly doors at all

Instructive picture (note this throw is very low and short: as I'll explain in the strats topic most successful SA throws must get air onto the dias):

* see final paragraph of unloading primer

Throw mechanics (throw, skip, skid)
If you manage to unload (more on that below) a mine, it will always follow the same pattern of motion:
  • Air: arcing through the air under constant gravity
  • Skip: when it first lands (on the ground) it immediately gains a specific upward speed (20/9 or 2.22222), and arcs under gravity. This low arc 'lands' if the ground rises up suddenly (i.e. up to the dais on cavs), and so it proceeds to skidding early.
  • Skid: The horizontal motion changes for the first time. It decays exponentially, seemingly losing 10% per frame (though this may be an in-game frame or a 1/60th I'm not sure yet). This makes the total distance linear in the initial speed.

Release speed
* Disclaimer: only measured standing still, when Bond is moving this doesn't quite seem to hold *
No units for simplicity!

Throw speed is 16.6666..
.. but it also gets an upward motion of 5 added (as vectors) for free. This is why if you throw directly forward, the mine rises slightly initially. Very kind of Rare really, since this essentially gives us more than 0.5s extra in the air for free.

Bond's movement
A projectile's motion adds to Bonds (very sensible, but also the way r-leans work).

Off the top of my head bond moves at 7-8 sideways (it oscillates), ~8 forward at low speed and ~10.5 at max speed: there should be a post about it here somewhere.

Even throwing at 25 degrees inclination (up) (00a strat idea angle shouldn't exceed this) the forward component is 15. +10.5 from bond running gives 25.5. So strafing the throw only adds 5% (sqrt(25.5^2 + 8^2) / 25.5  -1) to the horizontal speed (and none to the vertical). It also makes a significant angle (~20 degrees) between where the throw will go and where Bond is heading, which is a nuisance for consistency. Even throwing at 42 degrees inclination (optimum for distance is somewhere around there, below 45 due to the free upward motion & Bond's height) forward motion is still 22.885 (12.38 + 10.5) so the % benefit of strafing is essentially unchanged (5.2).

Skipping (height & interruption)
With a bit of SUVAT we can expect the mine to skip to a height of ~9 (gravity is -0.27777777). It may exceed this a little due to lag, but it's worth bearing in mind that Bond's diameter is 60, so this is miserable. The step in Caverns is height 22.4, and the dais is a further 26.1 above that. If it the mine skips into either of these, then the mine 'warps' up to the step / dais and begins skidding 'early'.

This is potentially very handy as it can 'absorb' quite significant changes in your throw (angle & release timing), which is what my 00a strat idea wants to use.

Unloaded primer.
If it means anything, it turns out unloading collisions for a projectile are seemingly completely independent of unloading guards. The broad idea is throw and quickly look away / down.. but what happens?

As is generally known there are portals between sections of the game. If you look away so that these are no longer 'visible' or in-view (imagining that they weren't invisible), the collisions for the walls and ceiling of that part seem to instantly be removed. Moreover, collisions with objects change. The mine seems to no longer check if it has passed through an object, but just whether where it wants to go to will have a collision. This makes it quite easy to 'warp' through thin objects.. such as a pane of glass. It can (less commonly) even pass through all of the boxes. Just 'warping' into a box is reasonably common.

Then it gets even weirder, as once a mine has left through the ceiling it seems to get somewhat 'forgotten'. (Picture's *) In fact the corridor on Caverns has arches which stick from the walls and ceiling: I think if the mine passes through these unloaded then it also gets forgotten, but I'm not sure. The mine can then fall back down and pass clean through the door at the end of the corridor on Caverns every time (you can even watch it do so yourself). This is very reminiscent of the train shot in depot, where the bullet can pass through the wall (or even of a certain s1 strat), and will hopefully be exploited in my 00a strat idea.

FIN
EDITS: pic, arch update..
SA throws & 00a strat idea part 2 & generally more walls of text to follow.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:54:05 pm by Whiteted »