Author Topic: Post new TWINE PRs here!!!  (Read 26840 times)

Mavalock

• World's most active TWINE TASer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Post new TWINE PRs here!!!
« Reply #400 on: October 05, 2017, 12:32:23 am »
City of Walkways I SA 1:59: https://youtu.be/JN6AaqHhzek

I found a faster setup for the bridge switch: from the boat, jump onto the edge of the railing, and from there you can go directly underneath the switch and activate it with a jump!  You need to duck under the wall of the hut to get in, and this won't work if you're looking much higher than neutral, so look down a bit here for best results.  You can run right out without having to duck, though.  On the way to the bridge, passing over the corner peg gives you a slight height boost that makes getting onto the bridge a bit easier.  This strat is a bit annoying since it's very easy to clip back in when you jump onto the railing (especially when you're trying to do it fast), but it could save 3-4 seconds maybe.  My 1:59 was pretty sloppy, but it shows how much time can be saved from the current strat.

Also, this happened: https://youtu.be/P75RyBBg34o

Been toying around with gaining height from the boat instead, even though it takes some fine balancing on the mast. What I don't understand is why it seems to random whether you end up on the high floor or the floor below when jumping off the mast (even when having enough speed and running perfectly straight along the mast, as well as jumping at the same time). I know the mast moves back and forth periodically but i don't know if it's related.

Can you get this with any consistency?  From what I can tell, it looks like you have to jump from the mast to a fairly specific point (about parallel with the edge of the dock).  This might be too precise for humans, but it looks promising for the TAS if we can figure this out a bit more.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it could have something to do with how Bond's position is updated.  Since there's such a small distance between the tip of the mast and the edge of the boat, it seems likely that you can be at the tip of the mast one frame and over the water the next frame (depending on Bond's position), so the game wouldn't register Bond as being over the lower part of the boat.  If that's the case, then it's effectively random, at least for humans.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:49:36 am by Mavalock »
~Mavalock (aka Mg)

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #401 on: October 05, 2017, 01:07:19 pm »
This is the fastest run I managed to get with balancing on the mast:

When compared to your 1:59, it seems to be around 2 seconds faster. Though it should be possible to pull off your strat without stopping which would make it close to equal.

Non-stopping the mast seems pretty insane and i'm not sure if it's viable on console at all. Especially if it will randomly fail for no reason.

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #402 on: October 05, 2017, 05:42:15 pm »

Also found another OoB in the beginning. In the same area we normally glitch out, if you walk up the ramp on the right side, and walk on top of the railing, you'll eventually reach an invisible wall, but if you continue to walk forward the boosts from the guards can eventually push you through. Probably useless unless you can find a way to keep the height into the next area.

Another thing, it's really nice to preemptively unduck as soon as you see the guard's step animation, as this will give you a flying start when you get OoB.

Mavalock

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #403 on: October 05, 2017, 10:34:22 pm »
Nice, that's about what I expected to see from that strat.

Upon further testing, it looks like the mast strat is, in fact, dependent on Bond's position.  There's a gap of about .12-.13 units between the tip of the mast and the edge of the boat, compared to Bond's max forward speed of .20 units/frame.  You don't need to jump at all, and jumping actually probably lowers your chances of getting it slightly since you lose speed while you're in the air.

New discovery: Some guards are scripted to stay in place no matter what, so normally they would be useless for potential clips, but I've found a couple ways around this:

1. If you repeatedly stun a guard, they will move forward slightly, and they may be able to push you out as they recover.  This is somewhat unreliable, though, as it's easy to accidentally punch the guard, causing them to move back a bit.

2. If you stun a guard and punch them after they drop their weapon, they may surrender, and moving away from them after that causes them to pull out a P2K and default to the "run toward Bond" script.  This seems to work randomly, though, and right now I'm not sure if it even works on some guards.

Using either of these two methods, it's possible to clip out after the bridge, and it's possible to go around the warehouse and climb the ladder into the computer room.  I'm not sure if it's faster than the normal way, and either way it's probably too unreliable for console, but who knows, something might come of this...

https://youtu.be/sJoQ9MMqlEY
~Mavalock (aka Mg)

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #404 on: October 07, 2017, 12:56:40 pm »
Agent 1:51 - Bad bridge jump but otherwise pretty solid.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:36:17 pm by Wyst3r »

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #405 on: October 08, 2017, 01:29:04 pm »
SA 1:52 x2
SA 1:51
00A 1:58
00A 1:53

Had a 1:51 quitout on 00A as well where I missed the download due to wierd lag.

Mavalock

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #406 on: January 12, 2018, 07:45:57 pm »
City of Walkways 00A 2:01 (no BA!) https://youtu.be/st8-Jmf7gdg

The attack helicopter spawns when you leave the last warehouse, so by going outside then immediately running back inside, you can wait for the helicopter to pass and run behind it to the bridge without it shooting at you.  This saves a ton of health and doesn't lose any time since you would normally need to wait until the helicopter passes over the bridge before you can shoot it anyway.

Also, I finished the CoW1 TAS recently, so here's that: https://youtu.be/SxjbYHiu9zg
~Mavalock (aka Mg)

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #407 on: January 13, 2018, 06:34:51 am »
Great thinking! Also amazing work on the TAS (as always) :)

Rigger in Chief

• SC Host
    • Austin Perroux
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016CommunityContributor
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #408 on: June 17, 2018, 03:55:04 am »
Underground Uprising Agent 1:17 :)
Rigging Contests One Round at a Time

HoldPriority

• I have a career—what the hell am I doing?
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #409 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:45 pm »
Cold Reception 2:21

Got it down to 2:18 off stream.