Author Topic: GC/PS2 Differences  (Read 1484 times)

Silent Thunder

• Less dangerous than invisible lightning.
    • GE
    • PD
GC/PS2 Differences
« on: November 20, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »
I'm currently in a unique position in the TSFP Elite in that I now have both the PS2 and Gamecube versions of TSFP.  I thought I'd list some of the differences between the versions that I've ran across so far.

Starting Spawns in Arcade
Starting spawns of bots in the GC version are pre-determined depending on which spawn you start out at.  Starting spawns of bots are completely random on PS2.  This is very much like the situation on Timesplitters 2.

Speech Skipping
On the GC version, in story mode it is possible to pause the game just before a speech starts and have the speech continue while the game is paused.  This has the potential to save lots of time as the timer stops when the game is paused.  

There are several speeches that can be skipped, but only a few that actually will save any time.  This is due to the fact that in most situations, if you skip a speech, the character who says the speech will still act as if they are "talking" and the game will wait until they are finished.  

There are two exceptions that are known.  One is the  ending of Breaking and Entering, where speech skipping saves a little more than 20 seconds.  The other is at the beginning of High Road, where speech skipping allows the round door to be opened immediately, saving around 10 seconds or more.

Speech skipping is not possible at all on the PS2 version.

Cat Driving
I can now confirm that cat driving is a bit easier on the GC version.  The cat seems less prone to tipping over than on the PS2 version, and a bit easier overall to control.  It's not anything drastic, but it's a slight advantage to GC users.

Electrotool on Something to Crow About
The electrotool on StCA is found on the wall in serveral locations in the stage.  On the PS2 version, you have to press the "x" button to pick it up.  When you do this, the pickup happens immediately.  You can pick up the weapon on the run.

On the GC version, you have to press the "A" button to pick  up the weapon.  When you do this, however, you have to wait for a force field surrounding the weapon to dissapate before the weapon can be picked up.  This takes about a second or so.  This forces GC users to stop and wait to pick up the electrotool.

Weapon Switching
This is more of a chore on the GC.  On both versions, the default is having the weapon switches on the crosspads, with left and right switching between different weapons, and up/down switching between a weapon's two functions or multiple weapons, or whatever.  The crosspad on the GC is rather small, and not very accurate.  I find myself constantly switching to another weapon when I just want to switch a weapon's function.  It is increadibly easy to hit left or right on the GC crosspad while pressing up.

The location of the GC crosspad also presents additional difficulty when switching weapons.  It is located below the left analogue stick.  If you are moving, you are forced to either take one of your hands off of one of the control sticks, or to take your finger off the primary fire button and make a very awkward reach across the controller with your right index finger(which for myself, I just can't do) if you want to switch a weapon.  This makes it almost impossible to switch weapons while still having full moving capabilities.

It is reatively easy to switch weapons on the PS2 controller.  The crosspad is above the left analogue stick.  You just use your left index finger, and you never have to take you thumbs off the control sticks at all.

Various Other Things
There are several graphical changes between the two versions.  Overall the GC version has several little graphical tweaks that the PS2 version lacks.  One strange things, however, is when you kill robots.  On the PS2 version, when a robot is killed, it gets surrounded by electricity, which is bright blue and easily seen.  On the GC version, a robot still gets surrounded by electricity when killed, but it isn't bright at all and difficult to see from a distance.  It's better to rely on sound that sight in this case.

That's it for now.  I'll add more differences if I've forgotten any, or if I find more.

Apocalypse

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:55:00 pm »
cewl.
question wich one do you prefer the GC or the PS2?

Koch

• Ryan Koch
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 06:26:00 pm »
Very interesting.

So can I make a conclusion that PS2 TSFP is better for playing around with, and GC TSFP is better for speedrunning?

TFitzy

• <3 Carla Ossa
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 09:56:00 pm »
Quote ST:

'Cat Driving
I can now confirm that cat driving is a bit easier on the GC version. The cat seems less prone to tipping over than on the PS2 version, and a bit easier overall to control. It's not anything drastic, but it's a slight advantage to GC users.'

:p

Anemptybox

• twitch
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:35:00 pm »
Cool list ST.

And yeah, you're a damn good cat-driver Fitzy:p

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 12:40:00 pm »
SitT: Handyman picks up the timed mines on GC! :x  

EDIT:

Let's try to get sub-1:31.5 on Queen of Harts on GC!
It's pretty hard to kill the first robot + the two prison officers while strafing and without stopping. :evil

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 02:30:00 pm »
Quote:
SitT: Handyman picks up the timed mines on GC!

That is not a difference.  They do it on the PS2 version, they do it on the XBox version, they do it on the GC version.

Quote:
It's pretty hard to kill the first robot + the two prison officers while strafing and without stopping.

It's pretty hard to do that on any version.  Only difference on GC is that it's tougher to see if you've killed a robot, but the sound they make when they die is the same.

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »
Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SitT: Handyman picks up the timed mines on GC!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is not a difference. They do it on the PS2 version, they do it on the XBox version, they do it on the GC version.

On GC they ALWAYS pick up the timed mines because of their spawn points. So I'm unable to do the sub-30 strat. ;)

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 04:31:00 pm »
Well then why didn't you say that?!:b

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 04:34:00 pm »
Because I thought you already knew about that, I also mentioned it on the French boards. ;)

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 05:29:00 pm »
I declare my Front Loaded 56.9 the non-PS2 world record, it was a very solid run. I mean, take a look at this, the top 8 is all PS2. Good players like Tom54, Remlosh and FW are not in top 8. I know Rem didn't spend much time on TSFP but it looks better if mention 3 players. :b  

I'm sure it's a difference. :x

failurewarning

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »
I have better than you, just so you know

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 05:36:00 pm »
What's your score? I thought you got 58.2 :|

failurewarning

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »
I did get that, but I have since got lower

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »
Okay!

But what is it?

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 09:44:00 pm »
I've said this before.  PS2 players don't get better spawn times on Front Loaded.  We get bad spawn times all of the time.  I have played a ton of Front Loaded.  Any run under 50 has an insane amount of luck going for it.  Low 50's aren't easy to get on PS2.

The reason the top players on Front Loaded are PS2 is that most of the people in the TSFP Elite own the PS2 version of the game.  Almost all of the top players have the PS2 version.  Fitzy, myself, Ace, Perdouille, Alpha Carter...

The top 4 times on Avec Le Brique are held by PS2 players.  PS2 must have an advantage.

The top 8 scores on I Like Dead People are held by PS2 players.  PS2 defenitely has an advantage there, since it's one more than on Front Loaded.

In fact, if the top 3 or more spots on any stage are held by PS2 players, then the PS2 must have an advantage on that stage.  No question.

The PS2 version is the most common version of the game.  Therefore, a lot of top scores will probably be from the PS2 version.  Are there differences between versions?  Yes, but just because the top 5 spots, or the top 7 spots on a stage are held by PS2 players doesn't prove a version difference at all.

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 05:33:00 am »
I find it suspicious Tom54 and me have no good scores on this level.

TFitzy

• <3 Carla Ossa
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 06:42:00 am »
There is nothing suspicious. Maybe your just not as good as you think you are. You can't just expect to get great scores on a level in a short amount of time (well, I could mention a few players who could do this, but that's not the point). People probably think it's suspicious how I can have such a high score on Anaconda, whatever. Anyway, tom still hasn't explained his Virtual Brutality - 1:34.2 in 60hz....

Anemptybox

• twitch
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 06:43:00 am »
And maybe Tom didn't like Front Loaded..?

SniperWD

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 10:31:00 am »
I just wanted to jump in and say Phoenix is still hilarious.

Oh and ps2 players have a huge advantage on Don't Lose Your Bottle, by the way. The top 3 scores are 40.0 by me, 42.2 by CP and 43.5 by Fitzy or something.

edit: ZOMG add Melon Heist to teh list!1

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 01:18:00 pm »
Ace and CP got sub-50 on PAL, so that would be around 41 on NTSC?

Dirt689

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 06:01:00 pm »
I have 49.0 and i am NTSC

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 12:20:00 pm »
Got TSFP for my PS2 today.

SHE SPAWNS A LOT MORE FASTER ON PS2!!!

THE CAR ACCELLERATES A BIT FASTER!!! (ABOUT 3 SECS)

You guys are pretty sad saying I'm so stupid.

Dirt689

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »
so why dont you have Sock it to Them world record yet? You said you would...

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 02:33:00 pm »
I'm busy with it.

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »
Mansion of Madness
Flamethrower has a longer range, thus:
-the bugs die faster.
-the ghosts at the beginning die faster.

Time to Split
The cutscene where you get the sniper is 2-3 secs shorter.

Lap it Up
After the second checkpoint most people go to the left, I don't. On GC the cat flips over like 90% of the time, very irritating. :x

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »
Front Loaded Gamecube Version.

Finally got around to playing it.  In 10 minutes, I had a run with 2 at 7.x, 3 at 13.x, and 4 at 20.x.  Matches a fairly good run on PS2.  No disadvantage.

EDIT:

Front Loaded GC Version - 53.1

Took three minutes play to get after I posted.  Easy.  I think, Satisfaction, that perhaps you are underestimating what kind of run it takes to get under 50.

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »
On PS2 I've had like 15 sub-1:00 runs in an hour. On GC the only sub-1:00 run I ever had was a 56.9, that took about 7 hours. Maybe there's also a PAL/NTSC difference.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »
Yeah you must be right.  I mean, I just proved there's no difference between GC/PS2.  Obviously there must be something up with PAL, since all NTSC times pwn everyone from PAL.

Oh wait, Ace has 49.4 and Fitzy has 51.3 and they're kind of not NTSC players.

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »
Quote:
Oh wait, Ace has 49.4 and Fitzy has 51.3 and they're kind of not NTSC players.

Because they're on PS2.
Looks like the disadvantage is only on PAL Gamecube. :(

Dirt689

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »
No, I have under 50 and it took a long time. Sometimes she spawns really fast but I have also had runs where she literally doesnt spawn again at all...there is no disadvantage.

Faucheur

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »
more exactly on the SILVER VERSION PAL GAMECUBE!

Satisfaction

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 06:11:00 pm »
Speech skipping is also possible on U-Genix, just before you get under the showers, when Amy starts talking, you can skip for about 5-6 secs.

And Machine Wars, in the room where your life bar gets to the minimum, you can skip some blah from Anya.

:smokin

TFitzy

• <3 Carla Ossa
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 04:25:00 am »
Good finds, but speech skipping is gay

Faucheur

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »
speech skipping works online too!
there are always players talking at me, and I never hear them! :rollin

Faucheur

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2007, 11:07:00 am »
I've spotted something strange on scotland the brave. when phoenix picks up a ksmg from an enemy in his 4:09.4 vid he gets a rocket. but when I pick up a ksmg, I get no rocket. (I am playing on PS2)

also in the lift, I can't use the restart to checkpoint, is it because I have to play in 60 Hz?

Anemptybox

• twitch
GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
Fauch: You have to play You take the high road first and get a k-smg.

As for the lift, you need to look down for it to work.

Faucheur

GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »
weird but thank

Anemptybox

• twitch
Re: GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 08:19:48 am »
Bumping this rather old topic for some info I haven't seen anywhere: It's much more difficult to speech skip with music turned off, at least for me.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
Re: GC/PS2 Differences
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »
Phoenix stated on Time to Split there's a difference between versions in the sniper rifle cut scene, but comparing my 3:31 Normal vid (GC) and 3:21 Easy vid (PS2), I don't see any difference.