Author Topic: Retirement from TSFP  (Read 2130 times)

Silent Thunder

• Less dangerous than invisible lightning.
    • GE
    • PD
Retirement from TSFP
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
Yeah.

My PS2 won't read my TSFP disc anymore.  Disc read error no matter what I do, so besides some occasional GC play(kinda doubtful), I'm pretty much done with the game.  Doesn't really break my heart.  Playing any TS game lately has really staled for me, plus I don't have the time to commit to it anymore, especially not all three games.  TSFP was also my least favorite of the three, so I'm pretty happy with what I've done on it.

For everyone still active, I wish you good luck on setting future PRs and world records.

Satisfaction

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »
:| :| :|

Kinda sad to hear that. :|

I thought you were going to grab back your stolen WRs again, now I don't wanna play those levels again. Every time I played those levels I kept your name in my mind. |I

But oh well...

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »
There's so much left to improve in EVERY level in the game (Story, arcade, AND challenges).  It's sad to see how this place died so fast.  I doubt there will ever be solid competition in this game, or either of the first two Timesplitters for that matter.  There was so much potential...

Satisfaction

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 07:38:00 am »
Probably because of this proof system...

There would be way more people competing with the scrolling proof system. I asked some people who played online a lot, and they didn't want to compete with this proof system.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 11:09:00 am »
Thank you for your concerns about the-elite.net's and NGC-Elites's proof system.  You have expressed your concerns several times now, mostly in topics where such concerns are off topic.

Your comments about the current proof system have been very helpful.  For example, "The proof system sucks!" gave us an enlightning view on some of the specific problems with the current proof system.  Futhermore, you have also given us several helpful suggestions on how the proof system can be improved.  My favorite suggestion so far has been......well, to be honest, I can't remember any suggestions you've made to improve the proof system, but I'm sure you have.

Unfortunately, you are relatively new at NGC-Elites and were not around at the beginning of the TSFP elite, nor the early days of the TS2 elite.  During those times, liars where a frequent burden at NGC's.  Who can forget Plum, beachbug, Xtremesplitter, or mastakilla who claimed 3:29.1 on bag slag?

Another problem was regular players making world record claims that were either extremely good or impossible using current strats, and then refusing to provide proof or give a strat.  I've previously mentioned all the reasons why this is stupid and won't go into it here.

So we are at the point where WRs need video proof.  It makes for definitive rankings.  No doubt about a time if there's a video for it.  If that causes new players to shy off, then that's their choice, but the previous situation at NGC wasn't so great.

But if you, Satisfaction, have any actual suggestions of how the current proof system can be improved, while making sure that world record times and strategies are shared and out in the open, then please make them.

Any further "suggestions" about the proof system that are along the helpful lines of "This proof system sucks!" will be edited with pictures of kittens in order to give the posts some actual value.

Thank you.

Satisfaction

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »
For new people who got a WR and didn't know about the full video proof system: They should make scrolling and make more videos in future to show their skills.

WRs set by longer trusted players untaped (or overtaped), can be proven with a video showing the score in the menu. But of course, this may not happen too often.

failurewarning

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »
Quote:
Unfortunately, you are relatively new at NGC-Elites and were not around at the beginning of the TSFP elite, nor the early days of the TS2 elite.

that seems a little hypocritical as you yourself were not around for the early days of competition within the TS2 elite. You do however, make a valid point.

WR should really be proven with video footage. Scrolling proof proves nothing. The rankings have a history of liars claiming scores they could never achieve. Using the-elites proof system will whittle out those people.

If other people are not willing to abide by our rules then they should just not join, full stop.

Satisfaction

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »
An untrusted player should make scrolling and after that, he should make some vids.

Matthijs Triep

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 04:49:00 pm »
As unlikely as it is, trusted and proven players can also lie. In fact, the Elite proof policy, which our proof policy is based on, was put in place (well, not entirely, but it was very important) after a lot of discussion about two controversial records. They were claimed by trusted veterans. Both provided only vague strats and to this day, none of the two times have been beaten. One of these records was tied recently, but years later. It therefore seems realistic to say these records were fake. They were on the rankings for a long time, because there was no such policy as there is today.

We can not let this happen again, therefore full video proof is the only way to be sure a claimed record did happen. Scrolling proof has no real value, since a record could be achieved using cheats.

I don't see why a new member would have to fear the policy, as he probably doesn't have any scores near a record yet. If he does, then that seems suspicious.

Apocalypse

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »
althouhg I'm not very active lately I find it sad to hear you quit St.
and to keep off topic as we were, I think the proof policy that we have now is good enough, in fact I would like to see more proof calls like  a scrolling for very score that's in the top 10 or something like that.

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 05:13:00 am »
It was a freaking headache to find and get rid of liars in the early days of ngc (and there are ones that only I know about).    A proof system is a necessity.  It's really not difficult to follow the rules.  I also find it really hard to believe they would have put forth the effort on a top tier level if they wouldn't even put forth the effort to get a cheap vcr and some tapes to tape runs on.  The latter is way easier than the former.

ack, way off topic--great :(    Anyway, you can never officially retire from a videogame.    You never know when you get the itch and pr something.

Apocalypse

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 11:59:00 am »
Well, you know if your gamedisc can't be read anymore.
anyway, the proofsystem is good enough, I mean everyone can come up with a way to make it just a little bit better, the thing is you cannot listen to them all, also it gives the mods a lot of work.
So I agree with ST.

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »
I do not think the community died due to the proof system; I think it's obvious that there was not enough interest in the game(s).  Especially since the top players quit; CP, snoozer, thegame, Shadowzero (from waaaaay long ago), etc.  When there's not enough competition, the rankings seem to suffer because people just don't put forth as much effort as they could if they had someone to compete against.  It's great coming back to the boards the next day to find 5-6 of your records beaten, and you know you have to get them back.  That kind of thing just stops when the people who seem most capable of getting records quit playing.

Simply put: Lack of competition.

PS - I also would like to point out that you can NOT encorporate 'trust' anywhere in the proof system.  There should be no such thing, as it is subjective.  And, as pointed out, even the most trusted people are capable of lying, ESPECIALLY when there's competition.

Apocalypse

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 06:20:00 am »
that might be the real reason Not so Perfect Dark.
Im playing a little right now, trying to get in the top 10, half a yea ago I was at place 21, but maybe the reason that I dont play a lot is in fact the lack of competition.
no one from the 20th place till the 10th place is really active.
so I think your right again:D  

I really find it a shame that you quit, I really was a fan of you ST.
Oh well, maybe the fanclub (thats me) retiers as wel than|I  .

Dirt689

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »
I am sad that there is no competition on FP...

The only people I have to compete against really is Phoenix and Ace, and since I dont play Story Mode there is basically no one to compete with. :(

Satisfaction

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »
Try to beat my Glass Smash scores!!! You said those were your best scores.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 03:24:00 pm »
I never said that my glass smash scores were my best.  Front Loaded and Vamping are better.  Pirate Gold is maybe a bit better, but sub-18 would be a really good WR.

Your 51.x potty is about where it should be.  Avec le Brique should go under 1:10 at least.  1:07.x isn't out of the question on that stage.

But like I said, I'm done.  TSFP was never that fun to begin with.  It was ruined by stupid things.  Too many stages that are easy to max out.  Fewer arcade stages than TS2(what the hell?).  Boring challenges(does anybody like playing electro chimp or TSUG?).  Story could have easily been fun, but having to quit out and endure loading after loading makes it a chore.  

These are all reasons why the competition dropped off, and the competition was dropping way off before the new proof system.

Some stages were fun, and I had fun playing those, but there's a lot about TSFP that I won't miss.

Satisfaction

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »
Quote:
I never said that my glass smash scores were my best.

I was talking to Vann. ;)

I prefer the TSFP Glass Smash and Story Classic challenges. But the rest of the TSFP challenges aren't that great...

Dirt689

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 10:25:00 pm »
when the hell did I say those were my best scores?

Satisfaction

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 06:06:00 am »
When I said in beat you in the challenges! You said your best scores were the Story Classics and Glass Smashes.

TFitzy

• <3 Carla Ossa
Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 05:45:00 am »
Bye ST...

i'll be back...

Apocalypse

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 09:40:00 am »
Let's give him TSFP for the PS2 on his birthday:D .
wenn is that?:D  soon i hope;)

Anemptybox

• twitch
Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 09:44:00 am »
Too bad. You've gotten some cool times on Tsfp.
I quit playing Tsfp "seriously" a year ago.
Most of the levels does indeed suck. Especially story. Except scotland of course, but it kinda sucks too :p  With all it's random stupid stuff.

meh.. it's just a game.

Satisfaction

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 06:07:00 pm »
Sorry to bring this up again...

Quote:
As unlikely as it is, trusted and proven players can also lie.

If that's so, then every PR achieved by a trusted player should need scrolling as well... You can gain points with PRs as well...  >D

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »
Ideally.
And please, stop calling people 'trusted.'  That's entirely subjective; I would go as far as to say I do not trust anyone here.  Your opinion (or anybody else's, or mine for that matter) concerning trust is entirely irrelevant to the situation at hand.

Apocalypse

Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 11:36:00 am »
I don't find the idea for scrolling proof from every top 20 player rediculous.
in fact it would be an awesome idea, not that the current proof sysytem lacks (look Satis this is the more constructive critism).
to make the story short (not that's a long story) this proofsystem isn't that bad, but it can always be inproved.

Silent Thunder

• GE
    • PD
Re: Retirement from TSFP
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 07:43:41 pm »
Lol.  I forgot about this.

I'll never stop playing these damn games until I'm dead probably.