Author Topic: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2018 - post your ideas!]  (Read 66720 times)

TheFlash

The git repository for the rankings site is hosted in a private repo on GitLab.

If you want to suggest a feature, report a bug, or contribute code, create an account on GitLab.com and alert me of your username.  I will give you access to the private repository.

We need to coordinate our resources (programmers) to provide the services users here really want.  There have been a number of suggestions over the last year or so but not much has been implemented because it's hard to know what people really want, what's important, etc.

If you have suggestions for the site (rankings, forum, homepage, anything), post them here.  If you support a suggestion someone else made, quote it or otherwise voice your request.

If you think you have talents to donate (programming time) you should also post here explaining what you are capable of or would like to contribute.

This place isn't just run by one guy in his high chair, it takes contributions from everyone.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:20:51 am by TheFlash »

Ngamer

• Swagger Personified
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • thengamer.com
Re: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2014 - post your ideas!]
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:27:12 pm »
Here are a few items that have been discussed lately, to get us started

Elite Rankings info linked to the boards - Thingy is considering an api which would hook everyone's message board account into their account on the rankings page.  That way we could display some useful info on the left hand side of everyone's posts, such as...

message board name
custom title
GE Rank: 15th
PD Rank: 27th

And the 15 and 27 would link directly to that person's times page.  This way even if someone changed their board display name often it would still be easier to recognize them (plus you could confirm it quickly with their times page being just a click away).

full game speedrun rankings - YE will be looking into this plus other ranking systems improvements in early 2014

too many PRs showing on the top of the boards - we've got to decide the best solution here.  not displaying any 0 point PRs would be fine for top players, certainly, but I think lower ranked runners enjoy seeing their name up there after an improvement they're proud of.  going from 10:30 to 10:29 probably isn't worth showing though- maybe a cutoff like Top 200 would be a better solution?

linking the proof policy from the top of the GE and PD rankings so all new members would see it - seems like a good idea

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:40:05 pm by Ngamer »
thengamer. com

TheFlash

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:34:05 pm »
full game speedrun rankings - YE will be looking into this plus other ranking systems improvements in early 2014

Do we know YE's status with this? Is it a super high priority? If YE is not planning on working on this soon, we could devote resources to adding it sooner rather than later.  Where is YE?

Ngamer

• Swagger Personified
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • thengamer.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 07:38:56 pm »
YE's busy with the holidays at the moment but posted some of his plans for improvements in 2014 in the "raising a few bucks" thread last month.

I sent this email to Derek recently:

I have plans to rewrite the rankings and make each "league" fully equal to each other in importance. For example, a user could join any league without having to be in the main rankings league. You'll be able to view a user's time page for other leagues than just the main rankings, and compare them with others.

I also plan to make it a responsive site, so that the site elements adapt to fit the current device (mobile/tablet/desktop) rather than have a separate, cut back mobile site as it is now. The site will be fully functional on any device.

Other ideas involve being able to comment on any time posted (sort of like a social network), being able to compare your times with more than one person at a time, and making a proper API to retrieve times and videos so they can be put elsewhere, such as the homepage of t-e.n. It's still in the planning stages at the moment, and it's unlikely I'll be able to start development until next year some time.

To elaborate on the "next year" part, I'm super busy at the moment. I've been doing heaps of overtime, have a social life which is somewhat demanding at the moment, and in the little spare time I have I'm playing GTA 5. So yeah, have patience.
thengamer. com

TheFlash

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 07:40:57 pm »
This seems like a big update, can we roll it out in stages instead of all at once, and collaborate to produce it? I'm willing to help.

I would be hesitant to put together forum pieces that interface with the rankings with such a big update looming.  I think we need a bit more information about this.

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:24:50 pm »
1) Remove Comeasur33 as Admin of the Forums

Come closed this topic; http://forums.the-elite.net/forum/index.php?topic=2438.0  It was harmless fun for everyone and we had been working towards getting it to 502 posts for 8+ years, then he locks it truly because he just wants to shit on everyone's fun.

Stop thinking the entire purpose of the Elite is to kill any attempt at fun you come up with.

Come's actions are in direct conflict with this statement by Infil.  Come's entire purpose here IS to kill any attempt at fun we come up with.  This is only one of countless times he has done something simply to "kill any attempt at fun" that the players come up with.  He needs to be removed immediately.

2) Full Game Rankings

There is a great fellow who hangs out in many elite streams, but the "AIM Chat Crew" and "Virginia Crew" don't know him.  Anyways, he is working on full game rankings, as part of leaderboards for the entire speedrun community.  He is also making new forums with many other features.  It's pretty much going to be the greatest thing to hit speedrunning, ever.  Anyways, he's taking care of this all so there is no need for worry from you guys.  He's also a very good guy who just wants to see speedrunning thrive and doesn't make up excuses for 10+ years about "being too busy" to make changes to systems that would literally take less than 10 minutes to implement.

3) Institute Jimbo as a Board Admin and Rankings Admin, Remove Thiradell

Jimbo will do a much better job, and make more informed, less rash decisions than Thiradell.  Thiradell's track record is absolutely horrible (the Henning situation being what should have been the flash point for this) and he needs to be replaced immediately.

Jimbo has wanted to do these jobs for a very long time and it should be self evident that he is capable of them.  If Ngamer, etc, truly want what's best for the elite first, they should put their pride aside and install Jimbo into these positions.

4) Remove Ngamer from his high chair

This is more symbolic than anything, but it needs to be done.  Similar to how, even though none of the American politics disaster is necessarily the direct fault of George W Bush or Barack Obama, sometimes a change is needed for no other reason than making a change.  Ngamer's reign in his high chair has been a huge stain on this community and stunted its growth for over eight long years now.  The lack of devotion to the speedgames is atrocious and the elite needs a new "spiritual godfather" who will do a much better job overseeing the elite.  I may try to get my thousands of adoring fans and followers on board with this for twitch.tv campaigns (like #REMOVEHORROR,) Twitter campaigns, etc.

I think with these changes made, the elite will be more prosperous than ever, and will finally have the same level of respect from its members that it has of its outsiders.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:02 pm »
for pr's on the boards

I'd like to see points only myself as I'm trolling when I update a 0 one when I'm going to get points eventually anyway.  That and a lot of 0 point times really are lol times to be shown as noted.

as for ng's removal or w/e  who *should* be in that position then and what will they do for the site?  If we're just appointing meaningless figureheads then I don't see atm what's wrong with the one that's there.

It'd be easiest to work *with* people who are willing to update/do shit for the ranks/site rather than a competing one (which is what goose is sounding like but I'm sure part of him wants a different site which obviously he'll still find something/someone to constantly complain about)  [also if it was literally less than 10 minutes, how isn't that guy done with them yet?]

For the proof job--at this point anyone who's willing to do it wins w/e.

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 10:23:46 pm »
for pr's on the boards

I'd like to see points only myself

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:15 pm »
So long as Tyler acts fairly quickly with ranking admin requests from me or anyone else (such is the case with Eddie's Silo 1:03 which he fixed immediately after texting him), there's no point in switching anything out. I don't need the title, I think Tyler trusts me.

Leave well enough alone with the boards, it's clearly just a personal vendetta from you now Goose and reading your posts makes me cringe actually.

Lastly, I absolutely despise that 0 point PRs make it onto the RSS feed on the rankings. This is a job exclusively for YE and I've offered him a cash incentive to fix it so he stops being lazy. Your name and time should be posted as a reward only if you get points (which is a hard thing to do nowdays for a lot of players). I hate when my level - time - x:xx PR gets pushed out of the way in 10 minutes some nights because of stuff like Dam Agent 1:04.

TheFlash

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:06 pm »
Okay, well this is the type of thing we should try to avoid:

Anyways, he is working on full game rankings

I have plans to rewrite the rankings and make each "league" fully equal to each other in importance.

It's no good to have two guys working on the same thing at the same time, can we get some coordination between YE and "this guy" and the rest of us? None of the other admins have heard about this other project and we would like to facilitate the coordination necessary for projects like this to work out.

This is way outside my realm, I don't really know the first thing about this. I was under the impression that the rankings were administered by "The Elite Council" rather than just one person.  Jimbo is a board moderator for both GE and PD already.

4) Remove Ngamer from his high chair

Who do you nominate? I haven't noticed anyone asking for the keys.  I don't think Ngamer has really been an "all powerful" leader, he just happened to show the most initiative several years back and now he's finding other things to do.  Do we really need a singular leader/figurehead? I think we're best without.  The foundation of this site is not just one single person, but collaboration between many.

I am hoping future responses in this thread focus on specific technical issues rather than personnel changes.  The main purpose of this thread is to find which "cool new features" people want to see and coordinate their implementation.

make changes to systems that would literally take less than 10 minutes to implement.

If you have a feature request that will only take 10 minutes, I'm always willing.  I've done a number of very specific and quick changes for people over the last few years.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:45:39 pm by TheFlash »

TheFlash

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:36:11 pm »
Lastly, I absolutely despise that 0 point PRs make it onto the RSS feed on the rankings. This is a job exclusively for YE

I am going to say right now that nothing on our site should be "exclusively" any one person's responsibility.  We have more than just one person capable of making technical changes like that.  I think we're all better off if everything is as open as possible.  Is the 0 point PR thing a big issue? If I see more support in this thread it might be the first thing on our to-do list!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:44:11 pm by TheFlash »

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 10:39:41 pm »
Yeah remove the 0 point PRs from the feed. They're somewhat annoying.
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:56:01 pm »
1. No Summer Contest
2. RTA Rankings Page
3. Player info / Rankings linked directly from boards
4. More regular front page updates - Jim's been doing a great job here, but either by having another author to step in and help out, OR do a Once a Month recap on Skype would be even better.

*** What YE has posted above sounds dope and I trust the man will follow through with his words in early 2014. The programmer / web designer / speedrun enthusiast that Goose was talking about seems like a cool dude but from what concepts I've seen him demo it looks pretty tacky. Not that that's essentially a bad thing, but I feel as though YE has a more intimate understanding of how the-elite should look/ feel etc. Let's have some patience gents,
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

TheFlash

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »
4. More regular front page updates - Jim's been doing a great job here, but either by having another author to step in and help out

Any volunteers? This kind of problem is easily fixed if people really care about the site and know what to share.

Also I'm adding a suggestion of my own:

On the individual level rankings pages, names with tied times should be listed in order of date the time was achieved.  Whoever got 0:53 on the first level before everyone else deserves to be recognized.  Not sorting these properly would enrage me if I was the guy who got that time first and now I'm listed 8th because my name doesn't start with an A.  Back me up here, WR-setters!

Thiradell

• Third
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 11:26:18 pm »
Full-game rankings page
Only PRs worth points on the board top
nothin' moves me more than a groove that soothes me
nothin' soothes me more than a groove that boosts me
nothin' boosts me more, or suits me beautifully
there's nothin' you can do to me; stab me, shoot me

Lark

• Español learner
    • Lark
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 11:37:22 pm »
Please give us the option to edit our own posts in FFA.

Only PR's that are worth points should appear on the board top.
Embrace the grind.

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 12:10:03 am »
On the individual level rankings pages, names with tied times should be listed in order of date the time was achieved.  Whoever got 0:53 on the first level before everyone else deserves to be recognized.  Not sorting these properly would enrage me if I was the guy who got that time first and now I'm listed 8th because my name doesn't start with an A.  Back me up here, WR-setters!

Alternatively, keep it alphabetical, but give some kind of notification that the time was untied when set (asterisk or something, maybe different color text, idk)

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 12:24:03 am »
I support no more summer contest. It isn't fun and adds unneccesary divide to the community for no good reason (as opposed to good reason.)

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 08:40:59 am »
Support no summer contests. The winners are easily predictable (next year will be DK 100%), there's no fun because the people who go to VA usually get the most votes and it just increases the gap between the actual players and the VA/AIM/etc. crew.

Linking your rankings page to your forum username sounds like a neat idea. Just a small note indicating your GE / PD rank would be good.

Replacing the admins who don't do anything will people with capable people who know/play the games well and are very social with most of the eliters (like Jimbo).

Removing irrelevant times from the RSS feed should have been done such a long time ago, lol. I mean crap like Duel 0:05 is polluting the PD one so badly.

Get a decent looking RTA times page before YE works on a good one. It honestly can't take that long for someone with decent web designing skills to make one within a few days. Seriously the google doc is so embarrassing and I feel like deleting it.

Adding a bot to the IRC channel that notifies whenever someone goes live would be good. Yes, the board top does this but I don't feel like refreshing every 2 minutes and Twitch notifications are coming really late now. There are channels like #gta and #mario which have a bot, just need to contact whoever made it and ask I guess.

Remove Frigate from the GE rankings. :kappa: :nesquik:

I will think of other stuff to write later.

I appreciate the work people like DK/Thingy/YE put into making the elite better though. The new boards system, the neat features like ignoring users / changing names, etc. are all really good. However there are people like Come and Ngamer who tbh haven't really done anything the past few years. In fact they just do dumb things like close topics or deny good eliters mod power. Come is still a decent guy to talk to and is occasionally in twitch streams which is good, but Ngamer doesn't do anything at all.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:51:28 am by #removeNgamer »

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 09:23:04 am »
Also, there's a bug where you can still view posts from ignored users if you view posts using the 'view list of recent posts' link at the bottom of the board index. Please fix that. :)

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 12:47:15 pm »
Okay, well this is the type of thing we should try to avoid:

Anyways, he is working on full game rankings

I have plans to rewrite the rankings and make each "league" fully equal to each other in importance.

It's no good to have two guys working on the same thing at the same time, can we get some coordination between YE and "this guy" and the rest of us? None of the other admins have heard about this other project and we would like to facilitate the coordination necessary for projects like this to work out.

Coordination is not happening.  Do you really think coordination is possible with YE?  It took him almost a year to say "he was busy" and "plans rankings changes for 2014."

Furthermore, competition is healthy.  If YE's site is better, people will use that.  If the other site is better, people will use that.  And the new site is more of a competitor to SRL leaderboards than it is to the-elite rankings.  I can safely say that the-elite rankings for single levels will never ever be challenged as it is probably the best rankings page in all of speedrunning.  It's full games which are the problem, and hopefully this site fixes that.

make changes to systems that would literally take less than 10 minutes to implement.

If you have a feature request that will only take 10 minutes, I'm always willing.  I've done a number of very specific and quick changes for people over the last few years.

http://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye/single-segments

1) Edit the page to say "real time attack only."

2) Add 2 columns of times, 1 for 100% and 1 for All 60.

3) Clear the times on that page since they are irrel (some are in game time, some are in real time but are outdated) and let the community update their times as appropriate.

This should take no more than 10 minutes and SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE WELL OVER A YEAR AGO BUT HAS BEEN CONTINUOUSLY PUT OFF BY YE AND THE REST OF THE ELITE AND IS FRANKLY AN EMBARRASSING STAIN ON THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY.

Seriously Thingy, I do not understand why YE thinks this is some "huge deal" to edit this page.  It should take someone with technical knowledge about 10 minutes to do.  All the framework is already there.

(and to those idiots like Thiradell [Merry Christmas!] who have long said "there isn't enough competition to warrant a change to this page," look no further than this: http://the-elite.net/ss

yeah, that's a lot of competition that needs to be ranked somewhere.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:04:21 pm by RWhiteGoose »

ManceGaydar

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »
Ban the term "Irrel" from being used on the forum.

Seriously it's the gayest, nerdiest thing I've ever heard and makes me want to throw up every time it's used. What's more, it represents Goose's entire vendetta against anyone who dares to voice their opinion but is not ranked in the top 6. I mean what the f is it you actually want? 10000 viewers in your stream, but for them to sit there silently only to comment if they are about to praise your incredible skills, or admit they know less about GE than you? 
antibieber

Lark

• Español learner
    • Lark
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 03:13:50 pm »
Goose, it is painfully obvious that you are NakedPushUpStratMaster.

It's really strange that you enjoy having pointless arguments with yourself.

This is another thing that we need to change in 2014. Let's get rid of troll accounts such as NakedPushUpStratMaster, RBlackGoose and other ones that are detrimental to the elite.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:34:38 pm by Sniper Patrol »
Embrace the grind.

Smit

• Oh, this is suicide! There's nowhere to go.
    • Eise
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 03:27:30 pm »
Implement IP-locks on accounts so that you can only register one account from one ip-adress. Would make it a little bit more difficult to make troll accounts (i realize it is possible to change your ip-adress and to just go over to a neighbor or something but few people are willing to do that).

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 05:50:47 pm »
Implement IP-locks on accounts so that you can only register one account from one ip-adress. Would make it a little bit more difficult to make troll accounts (i realize it is possible to change your ip-adress and to just go over to a neighbor or something but few people are willing to do that).

Tor (previously an acronym for The Onion Router) is free software network for enabling online anonymity. Tor directs Internet traffic through a free, worldwide, volunteer network consisting of more than four thousand relays to conceal a user's location or usage from anyone conducting network surveillance or traffic analysis. Using Tor makes it more difficult to trace Internet activity, including "visits to Web sites, online posts, instant messages, and other communication forms", back to the user and is intended to protect the personal privacy of users, as well as their freedom and ability to conduct confidential business by keeping their internet activities from being monitored.

[14:11] <TheFlash> he only accesses the boards via tor
[14:11] <TheFlash> so that's not an option
[14:14] <TheFlash> would have done it straight off when he first showed up if it was that easy
[14:17] <TheFlash> ok looks like the rblackgoose guy is not the same as antibieber
[14:17] <TheFlash> however he might be the same as user 'chuck' anyone know who that is
[14:19] <TheFlash> antibieber is currently known as NakedPushupStratMaster
[14:20] <TheFlash> but anyway, antibieber and rblackgoose both average around 0.2 to 0.3 posts per day and i'd do anything to keep them from turning into alt-account spammers who just go apeshit all over the boards
[14:20] <TheFlash> dealing with a silly post every couple days is a fair trade

ManceGaydar

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 06:12:16 pm »
Lol at you internet geniuses. I'd never even heard of tor.
antibieber

Infected Mind

• Retro Game Enthusiast
    • Alex
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 06:31:08 pm »
remove all 0 point PB's from the feed (been complaining about this for a while now)
impliment good RTA rankings

seems like this is in the works so that is good.
AKA: l34ss l3oost
AKA: AlexWAnderson

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 08:07:55 pm »
I think there should be an investigation into who locked the 50 post topic in the test forum and the mod should be removed. Whoever it was is fucking pathetic. Why do we give people like this any power?
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 09:16:04 pm »
I would also suggest sorting by date of achievement on ties.

Other suggestions/requests (no hurry):
- Have an universal link to "Post new time" (Type would have more options). This is also inconsistent atm, where you have to go to your timespage to find the link for normal ranks, yet find the link on the ranks for LTK/DLTK, SS. Probably best to have links (with more specific Type options) on both and an universal one accessible on any page.
- Timespage per player for LTK/DLTK
- Show PR history (with links) on a player's PR page for LTK/DLTK
- Filters (eg. Show times with video only; this does not affect points etc)
- After clicking "Show stages..." in the left menu, change it to "Hide stages..."
sexy, this

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 10:48:43 pm »
I think there should be an investigation into who locked the 500 post topic in the test forum and the mod should be removed. Whoever it was is fucking pathetic. Why do we give people like this any power?

Agreed.  I'm 99% sure it was Come and he definitely needs to be be removed for this act, as well as many other abuses of authority on this forum.

If Come isn't removed, then none of the other rankings or forum changes matter at all.

TheFlash

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 11:03:37 pm »
http://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye/single-segments

1) Edit the page to say "real time attack only."

2) Add 2 columns of times, 1 for 100% and 1 for All 60.

3) Clear the times on that page since they are irrel (some are in game time, some are in real time but are outdated) and let the community update their times as appropriate.

This should take no more than 10 minutes

I'll look into it, but it will probably take more than 10 minutes.  I would expect to spend somewhere around 6 hours on this.  I'll have to get a test instance of the site running, populate it with test data, figure out how the page works, etc.

It looks like filtering some PRs from the board top list is getting the most hype, I'll also see about that.

TheFlash

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 11:16:32 pm »

With support from a handful of Elite Council members, a vote of the Elite Council on adding Jim to Rankings Admin status is now underway.

Elite Council members can find the voting topic in the elite council forum section.

TheFlash

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 11:17:45 pm »
I suggest the names of the people in the elite council should be published on the rankings so everyone knows who is in charge and who to go to when there are issues.  This is part of the proof policy which is currently just a forum post. I suggest that this policy (along with a more general "site rules" section) be added to the actual rankings site.

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 09:15:31 am »
I think there should be an investigation into who locked the 500 post topic in the test forum and the mod should be removed. Whoever it was is fucking pathetic. Why do we give people like this any power?

Agreed.  I'm 99% sure it was Come and he definitely needs to be be removed for this act, as well as many other abuses of authority on this forum.

If Come isn't removed, then none of the other rankings or forum changes matter at all.

Let me remind you that Come added Wodahs as moderator of the GE forum because he beat my Silo Agent 1:05 back then. He's still a mod :p

TheFlash

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 02:43:59 pm »

Let me remind you that Come added Wodahs as moderator of the GE forum because he beat my Silo Agent 1:05 back then. He's still a mod :p

He also has a strong history of taking action in sticky situations.  Just in the last few years he invented the elite council and made topics with official proof policies and forum rules.  He's never going to make a decision just to make people like him, and doesn't really care what you say about him. Let's end this discussion topic here.  The point of this topic is to be constructive and improve the community, not to speak negative things about people you don't like.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:50:03 pm by TheFlash »

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 03:03:08 pm »
Carathorn came up with the idea for the council.

I started pestering everyone with power on this site.

Come simply made it for me to appease me.  Come had 0 interest in actually making the council.  He only did it so I'd shut up.  I am like the small town community lobbyist and Come is like congress.  No joke, his approval rating is that low among the small people in the elite.

Come did not "invent the elite council."  Get your facts straight.  He needs to be removed.  Locking topics and adding moderators for little to no reason is NOT something a gaming community needs to be prosperous.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:10:25 pm by RWhiteGoose »

Lark

• Español learner
    • Lark
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 05:21:10 pm »
That "first topic to 502" got locked for no reason. It wasn't causing any problems. It was harmless fun. Before you make claims like "you're just on a personal vendetta agains't Come". I honestly am indifferent towards him. Sometimes Goose runs his mouth about trivial things, but he's 100% right in this case.

This isn't the first time Come has abused his mod powers in order to bully other people.
Embrace the grind.

TheFlash

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 11:51:58 pm »
It's stupid that the GE/PD leaderboards are only accessible by scrolling down past a page and a half of WR tables.  I propse that the leaderboards/rankings be on a separate page from the WRs.

Thiradell

• Third
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 12:32:39 pm »
Gotta agree with that, there used to be an elite2.htm where you could see the full points/time rankings and nothing else.
nothin' moves me more than a groove that soothes me
nothin' soothes me more than a groove that boosts me
nothin' boosts me more, or suits me beautifully
there's nothin' you can do to me; stab me, shoot me

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 01:43:10 pm »
I don't agree, and literally no one other than you two have ever complained about this.  No need to find problems in which to give solutions.

At least three people have asked for Come's removal in this topic.  Why isn't this being more seriously discussed?

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2013, 01:54:28 pm »
what about having a legend with all the players with WR's having their initials and full names... or is this made redundant with the ability to hover over an initial / click on an initial to find out that players' full name. I always liked having the list of players in a box underneath the WR grid.
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2013, 06:17:03 pm »
Seeing the initials with the WR's before ranks is much better for me than your traditional boring list that everyone else has.  (so I'd vote leave it as is).  It also further incentives WR's which traditional ranking systems and pages don't (in fact, I've heard talk on recent WR's when people discussed how cool it was for someone's big fat initials to be right on that page).

there's this on every speedrunwiki page atm
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/ngamer/speedrunwiki.com/w/includes/media/PNG.php on line 134

I click srw to look up general strats (ie auto aim off or on and other general shit) so I don't ask more dumb questions than I already do but yeah that site has been total AIDS forever.

regarding mods in/out or w/e  at this point I'm basically at "is there a person that will replace them that will do equal or more" if No then just leave them alone.  It's been NO for a long, long time.

RTA ranks.  (I don't see the need for a giant overhaul the way YE is discussing adding things but obv YE can do w/e he wants)
and 0 points not shown at least on the specific board tops and/or feed (tho in a year given enough twitch stragglers, top 100 times might actually be difficult enough to warrant rethinking this to like top 125).

I think the entire testing area forum should be locked/burned but yeah locking a specific topic when that entire subforum is just spam at this point was rather silly.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2013, 11:07:29 pm »
This topic is about Elite improvements. So I think it would be an improvement if Come did not continue to be a dick and lock topics for no reason and ruin the fun of others.

Unlock the topic in test area please. How on earth do you think this kind of behaviour is acceptable?

Are you seriously happy to overlook fucked up behaviour just because he might have done something productive in the past?

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013, 05:44:58 am »
There should be a forum exactly like FFA except where you can edit posts.

For years, like 2003 to 2007 you couldn't edit in FFA.  Then in 2008 when the boards switched to Yuku, you could edit again.  This continued well after the switch to these SMF forums where we could still edit in FFA.   This set the precedent that editing in FFA was now acceptable, as it was a practice that had gone on for longer than "no editing" had gone on.

Anyways, then randomly last year, Come decides to remove editing powers from FFA.  Why did he do that?  Literally no one asked for it.  His clear abuse of power NEEDS to be stopped.

So either reinstate editing in FFA, or make a new FFA which allows editing.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2014, 02:42:06 am »
Unlock the test forum topic please.

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 09:04:24 am »
I noticed the PD RSS feed has this:

"Duel - SA - 0:06 by SgtRaven (Oct 26)
Duel - PA - 0:09 by Axel Z (Oct 15)
Duel - SA - 0:06 by OHMSS (Sep 13)
Infiltration - PA - 1:40 by darklight93 (Aug 30)
Infiltration - A - 1:10 by darklight93 (Aug 16)"

It would be cool if the Duel WRs get removed from there.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2014, 06:52:47 pm »
I have added RTA for GE, I just need someone who can apply the changes to send the code changes to. :)
sexy, this

TheFlash

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2014, 07:51:33 pm »
Wouter has sent me some stuff to enable RTA for GE.  I am checking it to make sure everything works with the live site and will probably have it on there within a few days.

We are wondering if the RTA should be listed at the top of the page with Game Time below, or vice-versa.  Any opinions?  Also, can someone confirm that all the times currently on the page are Game Time and not RTA?

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2014, 11:59:39 pm »
Game Time should be deleted completely.

It's a huge mix of Game Time and RTA on the current page.  Just delete it entirely and let people resubmit (no one will be submitting for Game Time, just a heads up.)

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2014, 03:47:56 pm »
Single session game time is a really unnecessary category. I don't personally see why it needs to be included.