Author Topic: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2018 - post your ideas!]  (Read 66733 times)

Thiradell

• Third
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2014 - post your ideas!]
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2014, 03:53:22 pm »
Don't think archive.org's wayback machine can load the points/time ranks from the main rankings pages? Feel more strongly than ever that they should be given a separate page.
nothin' moves me more than a groove that soothes me
nothin' soothes me more than a groove that boosts me
nothin' boosts me more, or suits me beautifully
there's nothin' you can do to me; stab me, shoot me

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:10 pm »
not sure if it's a good idea or not..... but what if on the Rankings there was a way of visualizing the recent activity (past month or w/e) - like next to the player have a Green +x pts or Red -y pts. I think I remember checking out the F-Zero leader boards where they used a similar system.

What are your guys thoughts?
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2014, 12:06:52 am »
Having more statistics is a pretty good idea. For each pr in recent activity.
So what I am guessing is that you can sort rankings by activity, and you can chose time durations, weekly, month, year, etc. and you can organize a table of PR's by Points Gained Per Level, per Player, total time?

What also would be nice is some visualization of total points gained for example, or total time for the top 100 for a level.
Btw is there any public access to the database that I can access so I could play with that type of stuff for fun?

Anyways I think a real improvement would be to embed live Team Elite streamers somewhere on the elite front page! That is all.
Daniel Wodahs-Relklaw Coelho

Smit

• Oh, this is suicide! There's nowhere to go.
    • Eise
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2014, 10:11:56 am »
I would like to see a toggle, so you can switch between "proven" ranks and "normal" ranks.

Would be fun to see how the proven rankings look like.

TheFlash

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2014, 03:46:03 am »
LTK player pages: http://forums.the-elite.net/forum/index.php?topic=844.new#new

Thanks to Wouter for the submission with the majority of this work.

If there are other things anyone wants to take the initiative to build themselves, let me know!

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2014, 03:52:29 am »
Holy shit that's actually really cool.
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

TheFlash

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2014, 04:26:50 am »
Hi all,

Over the last couple weeks I have been occasionally messing around with some potential board upgrades.  Our current forum software is SMF v1.1, which is now reaching the end of its lifecycle.  There is a simple upgrade path to SMF v2.x that we can follow and in my testing it seems like our board content transfers over properly through the upgrade process.

The main issue with the upgrade is that our ugly forum themes (the main one and all alternate choices) are not supported in the new version.  We originally chose this (not very pretty) theme because it had some resemblance to the old Yuku theme and everyone around here seems pretty opposed to change in most cases.  I'm looking for input on how important the color scheme and layout of the boards is to you guys.  We have made a fair number of customizations to the theme we are using here.  Most of them are to hide or show different data in the user area near posts or add elite-specific bonuses to pages like the PR feeds in the GE/PD boards.

If anyone would like, they can browse the SMF theme directory here to perhaps find a pre-made theme that would work well on our site:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/

I took some time to look them over and most seemed just as ugly as the one we're using now.  The problem is, whipping up a theme from scratch or even modifying one from that archive is a lot of work.  For example, most themes use images for all the buttons that appear on pages (ugh).  I would hope to support one layout with both a dark and light color scheme (or user-customizable color schemes).

--

I'm also open to suggestions for an alternative forum software.  When we first moved to SMF from Yuku several years ago, we looked at SMF, phpBB, YaBB, IPB, and vBulletin, at least.  We definitely played with test installs of both SMF and phpBB.  There were a lot of issues with the extraction of 300,000 old posts from Yuku -- someone had written a scraper that did most of the pulling but things didn't come through cleanly.  It only supported a direct import to SMF so getting to another version would have required another export/import process.

Choosing a different forum software depends heavily on what features we consider essential or important.  This can mean anything from spoiler tags to youtube embedding to login integration with the rankings site to a mobile-friendly design.  I'm open to any core platform, most of the ones listed are PHP but that's by no means a requirement.

I'd say we're looking at a timeframe of "probably within a few months" for this.  Hopefully we can get some good discussion on this before moving forward.

Your Eliteness

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:07 am »
I have a site suggestion. If anyone feels the need to change my rankings code without my permission, please either:

a) make sure your new code doesn't trigger PHP notices, or
b) change the notification email to your own, so notices will be emailed to you instead.

Thanks.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2014, 09:19:22 am »
I'm sorry, I might have made a mistake. You shared it with me personally so I could help to develop the rankings and it was open source back then. It isn't now, but I have no malicious intentions by changing anything. I apologize for any inconvenience.
sexy, this

TheFlash

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2014, 02:17:13 pm »
Hi YE,

Yeah, I have submitted a few changes initiated by both Wouter and myself.  Everyone was pestering pretty heavily for some minor updates and you hadn't been around.  Your last post was about how you didn't have enough time to work on this.  Most of the changes are relatively small and overall about 8 or so files seem to have been edited.

Unfortunately, since I couldn't find the rankings repo on your github anymore (???), I was just stuck creating a new repo based on the existing site.  In hindsight, I probably should have emailed you to speak directly on the matter, but it was sort of a rushed situation at the time to get it in before Goose's AGDQ run and I was wary of annoying you when you had last posted that you weren't finding a lot of time to deal with this site.  That was done on 4 January.  I have been tracking everything I did in there...

If you want to work together on this I will do the legwork to get these changes committed to a new branch in your repo for you to review, if you can pass along details to access it.

If you don't, feel free to roll back the site to your own preferred version, I won't be upset.  The only database-related change is that there are now some times submitted for GE Real Time, it shouldn't affect anything if the entire site were rolled back to your own current version.

I admit I didn't look over this latest submission terribly carefully.  I'll go fix whatever is wrong later today.  I apologize for causing your email box to fill up, that's my bad.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:12:42 pm by TheFlash »

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2014, 09:51:31 pm »
I have a site suggestion. If anyone feels the need to change MY rankings code without MY permission....

Anyone else see a problem with this attitude?
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2014, 11:09:55 pm »
Where is a copy of these open source rankings?
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2014, 11:45:00 pm »
It's not open source, even when they were on GitHub Ryan retained ownership and nobody had commit privileges.

As he wasn't paid for his work it seems totally sensible that original work is his and he maintains choice on derivative works (i.e. nobody can go off and create "their own" rankings with the source code), but I agree with Karl that saying they're "my rankings and you need my permission" isn't helpful and the-elite.net (person/org/site? whoever "accepted" the donation of new rankings) should have, if they didn't, done so under the condition that we can work to improve them.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:53:39 pm by Neo »

TheFlash

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2014, 11:59:08 pm »
Where is a copy of these open source rankings?

The rankings code was on Github for some time but no license regarding the use of the rankings was attached. I discussed this with YE some and he considered adding an open source license notification to the code but as far as I know this never happened.  So, YE retains all rights to the codebase at this point, as far as I know.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2014, 12:14:53 am »
I agree with Neo. It is completely up to Ryan if he doesn't want people to use his code however they want given that he created it.

However the-elite.net should not have taken the code if it meant Ryan still has complete ownership of it and we (as a community) cannot make updates and changes etc with ease and as we see fit.

Remember that Ryan has linked his own personal paypal account on the official rankings so people can donate to him which I do not personally like given that they are supposed to be a community rankings.

Basically, Ryan creates a rankings and the elite uses them under the following terms...

1. Ryan has absolute control over rankings.
2. the-elite.net requires Ryan's authority to get access to code or make changes.
3. Ryan can (permanantly?) link his own personal paypal account to the rankings to take money from people in the community

Doesn't seem right to me.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2014, 01:02:55 am »
The paypal part doesn't bother me at all; might be the dev in me talking but given that Ryan could have made several thousands of dollars doing similar work as a freelance web developer, I think a donation link on the app is the least we can do as thanks, provided it's clear the donations go to him (which I think is clear) and not the general t-e.n community (which there is a link for on the front page).

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2014, 01:07:54 am »
YE,

How much to buy the rights to use your rankings, complete source, etc?

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2014, 02:23:14 am »
I agree with Neo's posts.  It's a donate word you can barely tell is a link.    I doubt he's gotten a ton of donations.  His ranks are awesome and took time to do, I don't mind it at all.

The-elite front page donation goes straight to derek's personal account btw.  If you're going to donate, much much more likely you're using the main site button rather than the ranks.  (in b4 clark's been fleecing the community for years, tho if he did get a big donation I'm hopeful he sent at least some leftover $ from server costs to YE)

yeah attitude wise I would've preferred he just said if anyone is changing the code please change X or Y too so I don't get the notices.  He was pretty mad when he took them off github and likely still is a little at certain things and I reckon that's what led to that sentence.

Your Eliteness

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2014, 04:52:04 am »
I admit I didn't have the best attitude. I had been out with a friend and had gotten so many of these error reports that I had to disable email sync on my phone. Then when I got home, I found someone had made changes without even telling me. Not even a "Hey, I've changed X." So it wasn't even something I'd caused. And I didn't have time to investigate the situation then.

I want to make it clear that I don't have issues with people contributing code. In fact I encourage it, despite not having anything set up to support it. The issue I have is that it was changed without my review or even permission. If I was applying for jobs I would probably list it in my resume. How bad would it look if a potential employer goes to check out the site, and someone had changed the code the night before and introduced some bugs? Or I go to demo the site and am not familiar with some aspect of it? How bad would it be if someone introduced a security exploit that allowed the password hashes to be compromised? I don't want to let any of that happen, which is why I want to have the final say on everything that goes into that code.

There was never any official ownership transfer when the rankings went live. I'd like to think it's jointly owned between me and the other t-e.n admins, with me being the majority shareholder. If I drop off the face of the earth and become uncontactable, then sure, do whatever you want. But until then, I expect to maintain control of the project and steer it in the way I see best.

I'm now making an effort to determine how much demand there is for it to be a shared project, and how we could support this from a technical point of view.

Neo

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2014, 05:26:47 am »
All sounds great. My suggestion would be to set up a private repo somewhere (github/bitbucket/etc) where authorized developers can submit patches which you can do QA on and then someone can deploy when appropriate.

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2014, 10:13:43 am »
YE's post is well-justified in every way, he deserves every ounce of credit he gets and is extremely underrated in the history and future of the Elite. I'd donate to you, but my cash is petty compared to what you likely make in Aussieland, it probably wouldn't even buy you a beer :kappa:

I like the idea of majority stakeholder, actually.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2014, 12:51:19 pm »
I actually considered contacting you on AIM, but I didn't see you online. I saw Scott was online and I wrongly assumed that he had privileges to change code without your review. I am happy to see we're trying to work together and improve things for the better :)
sexy, this

TheFlash

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2014, 05:04:08 pm »
All sounds great. My suggestion would be to set up a private repo somewhere (github/bitbucket/etc) where authorized developers can submit patches which you can do QA on and then someone can deploy when appropriate.
Done ;)

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2014, 05:26:22 pm »
How hard would it be to set up the GE rankings so they look something like this;

1. Rayan Isran (perfectace)
2. David Clemens (davidclemensn)
3. Marc Rutzou (InkosiDeVinyl)
4. Bryan Bosshardt (TheBigBossman007)
5. Luke Szklarz (homeonice222)
6. Ryan White (RWhiteGoose)
7. Ilari Pekkala (illudude)
8. Jimmy Bauer (creepingdeath007)
9. Jim Barrett (GoldenJimbo007)
10. Karl Jobst (karljobst)

A lot of new people are coming from twitch to see the ranks, and they have a hard time knowing who is who.  Would it be easy to associate a twitch username with most players on the rankings and have it in parentheses beside the real name?

Adam Miller

• AKA SyntheticPerson
    • GE
    • PD
    • My Backloggery
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:05 pm »
Good call Goose. That's a fine idea.
"If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life" - some guy

comeasur33

• Badministrator
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2014, 06:35:39 pm »
Might even be better to just have their twitch pages linked through their profiles or somewhere on the rankings where it's not too cluttered.

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »
Yeah sure

http://rankings.the-elite.net/~RWhiteGoose

On our overviews, there is a spot for Twitter and Youtube.  I'm sure Thingy could add in Twitch easily.

But new visitors to the-elite are often very unintelligent and would never have it within them to click around to that page.

TheFlash

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2014, 07:47:27 pm »
Bring that one to YE

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2014, 06:34:35 pm »
The rankings don't and have never really been able to load videos from Twitch.  Any easy remedy for that?

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2014, 02:32:12 pm »
I remember giving that feedback to YE quite some time ago? I even remember he told me he'd look into that. was around a year ago.

Wody

• Pro Grinder
    • Lockwood
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »
Do you think it would be possible to enhance the color picker for the font when making a post? Maybe add a prearranged panel of colors along with the color picker we have now. Idk lol I liked it the old way. I have a few minor reasons for wanting this added that most would think are irrel but its fine. It makes the act of creating a post slightly more difficult I know I seem lazy but its kind of annoying always sitting there for 30 secs sliding the bars. I would also like to state a general question. Would it hurt to add a small panel of colors to our current color picker we have now? Not at all. Its not a drastic request just something simple. I dont know if others feel the same way I do lol. But its irritating sometimes.
Ok WE GET IT LOCKWOOD YOURE A FUCKING IDIOT. :nesquik:  Im not bashing the way its done now either. The site is amazing and YE did a great job. I was just wondering if it could be added like an enhancement. Thank you.
" WASSUP WASSUP!! "  

"Mod Madcapellan: good to hear clemens finally come clean"

Lockwood

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:32 pm »
Just use another website for colors like Ace does.
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:00 pm »
 sliding the bars is makes me feel like a tool, I'm all for an upgrade in the colour system. maybe even some gradients and transparency / glow effects would be neat
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Koch

• Ryan Koch
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2014, 01:07:36 am »
Nah i know what youre saying lockwood. I liked the old way better as well. Minuscule, but the bars are annoying

TheFlash

Re: The \\\\
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2014, 06:38:04 pm »
Hi, looking for a GE player, any around? Thanks.

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2014, 06:51:22 pm »
I play GE, whats up

TheFlash

« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2014, 06:59:43 pm »
Hi, would you be opposed to sorting WRs on the WR table by date earned instead of alphabetically?

Same for individual level rankings.

If Boss got the untied in 2007 and 14 people tied it since, should he be listed on top? Does that make sense?

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2014, 07:10:39 pm »
Changing the sorting is a very significant way of making the date of an achieved WR more outstanding, that makes sense to me.

My only other suggestion would be to just put an indicator on the level rankings like an asterisk next to the time that was untied when set, but then you dont have the significance of who first tied the record and such.

Seems like a good idea to me, hopefully some other players can offer feedback.

TheFlash

« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2014, 07:18:17 pm »
Good to hear. The update is ready on the test site, it will probably be on the live site in a couple days of there are no major objections.  Would love more feedback from the streamers and active players.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:21 pm »
alphabetically looks a bit neater on the ranks

order is on the database site

I'd be interested in how it looks but have a feeling I will peeper it the way it is now
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »
prefer*
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

TheFlash

« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2014, 10:36:39 pm »
http://rankings-scott.snorge.com/goldeneye/stage/archives

I guess there might be a bit of adjustment shock but this conveys so much more information than the alphabetically sorted version....

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:00 pm »
I got Archives 00A 54, Lockwood then got 54 SA, then I got 54 SA, and then he got 54 00A

LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

TheFlash

« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2014, 04:10:57 am »
Looks like both SA times are posted on the same day so it defaults to alphabetical sorting...there is not a specific time attached to those.  It does properly list you ahead on the 300-pointers list.

TheFlash

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2014, 12:04:21 pm »
Okay, I've shared this change with most of the site admins/mods (Third, Jimbo, YE, Ngamer, Come, DK), and a few players.  No one has spoken up strongly against making this change.

Is there anyone here who doesn't want to see this happen? It seems like people are generally in favor of giving the people who set untied WRs this preferential listing on the leaderboards.

There were a couple questions raised by the review team. One is concerned that some people might be against the switch: "You could potentially have a lot of backlash from this change. There's history around seeing initials in a certain order on the main record table." 

Another is wondering if it's even worth it to make the change: "I'd say 90% would not care...[the] other 10% would like it I guess...[not many] people would complain about it"

Rip me to shreds!

Adam Miller

• AKA SyntheticPerson
    • GE
    • PD
    • My Backloggery
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2014, 12:15:14 pm »
I think it would be worthwhile. If you are the first to achieve something, you deserve to be listed higher than all the people who follow you.

The only suggestion I would make (following Luke's post), is that future times have a date and time stamp, rather than just a date stamp. Often when someone achieves a new record, loads of other people jump straight on the bandwagon - sometimes achieving in the same day. A time stamp would ensure that the trendsetter gets their rightful place. Obviously though, this could only work for future times.
"If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life" - some guy

Wody

• Pro Grinder
    • Lockwood
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2014, 04:01:05 pm »
I think it would be cool to see it in the order of date achieved. I think like your example you posted?
" WASSUP WASSUP!! "  

"Mod Madcapellan: good to hear clemens finally come clean"

Lockwood

TheFlash

« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2014, 04:38:24 pm »
The only suggestion I would make (following Luke's post), is that future times have a date and time stamp, rather than just a date stamp. Often when someone achieves a new record, loads of other people jump straight on the bandwagon - sometimes achieving in the same day. A time stamp would ensure that the trendsetter gets their rightful place. Obviously though, this could only work for future times.

This is a good idea but would take a bit more work to put into play.  The change I am suggesting was like 10 minutes.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »
aesthetically it will look worse to have it by date achieved. but it would help to show more useful information..

so, I would be in favour of it IF we didn't already have such a fantastic WR database by Silver Angel.

because this exists I would prefer to see a neat rankings page sorted alphabetically,

I can live with it either way though
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

TheFlash

« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2014, 07:23:06 pm »
Keep in mind this applies to all times, not just WRs.  So everyone tied for 18th on some level will also be sorted by who got there first.