Author Topic: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2018 - post your ideas!]  (Read 66731 times)

Wody

• Pro Grinder
    • Lockwood
    • GE
    • twitch
Re: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2014 - post your ideas!]
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2014, 08:07:01 pm »
Keep in mind this applies to all times, not just WRs.  So everyone tied for 18th on some level will also be sorted by who got there first.

^
" WASSUP WASSUP!! "  

"Mod Madcapellan: good to hear clemens finally come clean"

Lockwood

TheFlash

« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »
I'll be implementing the new arrangement sometime tonight. Thanks for your comments, everyone.

TheFlash

« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2014, 11:52:22 pm »
Hey guys, I finally got this new ordering put up, if anything seems to be not working, let me know.

http://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2014, 12:31:01 am »
I have a suggestion. There is no reason so show N/A times on the individual level rankings. How about we just exclude them from showing and only show the actual times.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2014, 08:07:09 pm »
I have a suggestion. There is no reason so show N/A times on the individual level rankings. How about we just exclude them from showing and only show the actual times.

better yet count them as -5 points.  If you can't beat the level you're not elite GTFO.

Also, this link http://www.twitch.tv/team/theelite
needs to be featured on the main page.  (replacing theelitegaming)
Something like watch Goldeneye NOW.

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
Re: ATTN THINGY
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2014, 07:37:49 pm »
Thingy

Is there any way the forums could have an automatic resize for images?  On the 2p2 forums, if you post a large image, it is automatically displayed at 600 pixels wide, so it doesn't stretch out the forum pages massively.  Like, the image obviously stays the same on its host site, but the forum displays images at a max width of 600 pixels.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

TheFlash

« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2014, 07:52:56 pm »
Where there's a will, there's a way.

I haven't noticed page stretching happening much. Is it a common issue? Our forum normally automatically combats page stretching by enclosing the whole post in a block if there is something that is too wide.  So to see this whole image you have to scroll to the right.  The text normally stays within the standard window size area.  Is this just not working for people or what?

The only reason I can see for making such a restriction site-wide is to prevent spammers/malicious users from disrupting everyone else's day.  Since our forum seems to combat this already, it doesn't seem to be an issue.  I'd say it's just up to the poster to size his image.  If he doesn't want to specify a size, he can just post the link instead of inlining it, or just accept that he is forcing people who do care about his image to scroll.

Adding a width is pretty quick. Here's an example:

([ img]...[ /img])

([ img width=900]...[ /img])

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:59:25 pm by TheFlash »

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:02 pm »
Scrolling right is annoying though.  Who wants to scroll right?  You want to see the whole image at once.  And if you do want to see the high res version, then just right click - open image.

But that width=600 thing seems to work.  I just often end up posting pics here I find from imgur, tumblr, pinterest, etc and am too lazy to resize and rehost.  I didn't know about that command.  Pretty cool.

TheFlash

« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »
Yo, finally getting serious about this upgrade.

If you recall, I posted several months ago about our forum software situation.  Our current release is now at end of support for bug and security fixes, so we need to upgrade from version 1.1 to version 2.0.  There are a lot of nice new features in the new version of the software and I have been checking it out for some time.  I think people will appreciate some of the new changes.  (Goose: There is even an option to restrict the max width of posted images...I might even turn it on just because you asked.)

The biggest change with the upgrade will be the color scheme/theme for the forum.  Our current theme is not supported on the 2.0 version, so we have to switch.  For people who like a light background, the default seems like a pretty good style.  For those of you who prefer a dark background, I have been working on a dark color scheme.

Here is where I am at right now with this.  I'm looking for any suggestions you have on how to improve this.  I think it's basically a requirement that the background is generally black or dark gray, but we could make minor changes to the values used in this preview.  The main thing to consider is what color(s) to make the links.  There are basically 2 categories of links: regular links and "big" links.  I have chosen some blues picked from a Perfect Dark image for now...changing just these link colors basically redefines the entire color scheme, since everything else is just gray.  If you have a better suggestion, maybe put together a mockup and show me.

Looking at getting this done within about 1 to 2 weeks.  You will keep the same account (and password) and the URL for the site will not change.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ngamer

• Swagger Personified
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • thengamer.com
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2014, 05:33:21 pm »
New boards look great!  I really like the Datadyne logo, target, and golden gun, nice touches.  I agree that the yellow and orange link colors we were looking into earlier were too painful on the eyes after a little bit so these blues should be fine.  The rest of the colors on the dark theme are solid as well.
thengamer. com

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2014, 07:40:06 am »
very nice theme indeed, like I said I would always prefer black text to a white background so as long as that function stays, fine :D

TheFlash

« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2014, 11:35:41 am »
very nice theme indeed, like I said I would always prefer black text to a white background so as long as that function stays, fine :D

Yep, there is a similar one with white background and black text by default for the half dozen of you who prefer that ;)

Also, if you noticed the site was down for up to a few hours earlier, our host changed our server without really telling us it was coming.  Should be back to normal now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:46:00 am by TheFlash »

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2014, 05:31:58 pm »
ah nice

I will send a personal thank-you letter to them

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
attn scott
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2014, 07:29:30 am »
it seems like the board top, where the streams are listed, is frozen.  Neither speedruntrainer or flicker are online, but their streams are listed.  It's been like this for hours.

TheFlash

« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2014, 08:17:39 pm »
I turned off the auto updating when the rankings site went down. I will turn it back on shortly

TheFlash

« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »
Also, just to be crystal clear about this for anyone who comes here...this has been mentioned before but I'll just repeat it.

If the boards are down/broken: get in contact with me, email, facebook, text message will be the very best.  AIM wouldn't catch my attention unless I'm actually there; these choices will catch my attention almost anywhere, any time.  I can usually take the 1 to 5 minutes needed to fix something, often with my phone.

If the elite home page is down/broken: Jimbo is probably supposed to be in charge but might not be able to fix things.  Derek would be a good choice too but I don't know about his availability.  If you send me a board PM, email, etc. I can at least assess the situation and attempt to fix or forward the issue to the right person.

If the rankings are down/broken: YE is the man to talk to.  His sleep/wake/work schedule probably doesn't mesh up with the rest of ours too well so if it is something urgent you might also want to talk to me.

If all else fails, post something to the elite AIM chat -- the guys in there seem to know how to contact me.

I'm just a little concerned that the rankings were down for something like 24 hours(?) and the boards were down for at least 4 or so hours and no one ever sent me a message about it.  I was able to resolve the boards issue within 2 minutes of finding out about it, but I don't just check the boards first thing every morning so it was a while before I noticed something was wrong.

Hope that helps.

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2014, 12:20:40 am »
I'd like to report the issue of lack of Woody/Luke streams and lack of poker.
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2014, 12:36:29 am »
I haven't streamed in so long... I miss it =(

there's a small chance I will be able to stream in a little bit. Small chance.
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

bcks

• <3 Rashida Jones
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2014, 10:05:19 pm »
Is there anyway to make it so all topics are not flushed left and perfectly aligned? My eyes are having issues finding stuff i want to read, when everything is in a straight line. I could have swore the topic titles where bigger, or there was a more a gap between topics on the old boards. That's most likely whats giving me issues.  :'(

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2014, 08:18:47 am »
Thingy

we have to discuss the new "white" theme on the boards. While the forum navigates very fast and works awesome (gg on that), this theme now looks like the most generic dull tech problem forum ever :P 

maybe we could tweak some stuff together sometime?

TheFlash

« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:11 am »
Thingy

we have to discuss the new "white" theme on the boards. While the forum navigates very fast and works awesome (gg on that), this theme now looks like the most generic dull tech problem forum ever :P 

maybe we could tweak some stuff together sometime?

It's a little hard for me to put dedicated effort into the other theme, but at least in the new version it is a little easier to support two.  If you have specific suggestions I would probably implement them in some downtime, but I probably won't be taking the first step unassisted.

Yes, the plain is a bit generic...the dark one is also probably a bit too plain but I don't dare try to fix it in fear of making it worse ;)

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2014, 11:43:06 am »
Ive seen that 2 people use it haha

and im happy to give some input myself, but really as you said both themes are kind of too generic, it could use a bit more character

TheFlash

« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2014, 04:23:36 pm »
One thing I would want to do is spice up the top area a bit...currently it uses too much vertical space and just so boring....

I'm pretty capable of tweaking someone's design idea to be a bit better, but making a drastic change in visual design is something I'm just not that good at.  So if anyone put together even just a photoshop mockup of what they might like to see, I'd be down to replicate it.

youseinthehouse

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:10 pm »
As user #2, I'm fine if Cara wants to improve the light theme.  It's defintiely a step down from the 1.x light theme we were using.

I thiiiiiiink this place is a good place for customization  http://www.colorizeit.com/browse/24/smf-20-themes.html

Koch

• Ryan Koch
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2014, 07:24:35 pm »
I like the ezBoard emotes that we used more than our options now.

^ I suggest that we bring these back! ^

Lark

• Español learner
    • Lark
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2014, 11:30:20 pm »
^ I second this.
Embrace the grind.

« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2014, 06:25:31 am »
Could you please deactivate the automatic youtube embedding? It ruins many posts older than the update (like WR posts and the GE tutorials topic), makes browsing slow, is unnecessary and one has to use [url] tags all the time now. There is a dedicated [youtube] Tag too if someone really wants to embed.

I reported a bug with the NTSC / PAL WR page about a year ago which is still not fixed.

And once again, could you please deactivate the "player a passed player b,c,d,e,f,g in time ranks" for everthing below like top 200 (time)? Everytime someone gets rid of an N/A it shows the 5-6 players passed which is complete irrel clutter.

Dark Slayer

• One Hit Wonder
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2014, 07:44:32 pm »

^ I second this.

Thirded. I love how Mouser still uses them in his posts.

Manocheese

• GE
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2014, 01:54:52 am »
Could you please deactivate the automatic youtube embedding? It ruins many posts older than the update (like WR posts and the GE tutorials topic), makes browsing slow, is unnecessary and one has to use [url] tags all the time now. There is a dedicated [youtube] Tag too if someone really wants to embed.
Agreed. It seems like the change just happened and now pages are loading really slowly.

« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2014, 07:44:23 am »

TheFlash

« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2014, 03:25:36 am »

Sure...get two more people to say they want it and I'll do it.  Do we want these to just be the default and remove the current ones? I can't say I really like the ones on here now...

TheFlash

« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2014, 03:32:04 am »

I set up a [youtube] tag because people said it was necessary.  It looks like auto-embedding is a "feature" of the pre-made mod I used.  I guess I'll try to shut that feature off.  I agree that it seems like an undesirable default.

I reported a bug with the NTSC / PAL WR page about a year ago which is still not fixed.

And once again, could you please deactivate the "player a passed player b,c,d,e,f,g in time ranks" for everthing below like top 200 (time)? Everytime someone gets rid of an N/A it shows the 5-6 players passed which is complete irrel clutter.

I doubt YE reads this topic so maybe messaging him directly would be a good idea.  Or this could be a perfect opportunity for you to submit a patch for this.  If you're interested and don't have sources, I can probably get you some access.  Let me know.

Sorry mate, hadn't really read the forums much since a few days before this post.  I was moving, getting married, and going on a honeymoon.  If there is something urgent you can always pester Ngamer, I guess.

TheFlash

« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2014, 11:10:12 pm »
I guess I'll try to shut that feature off.

Done.

I'll do it.

Done.

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2014, 01:42:00 pm »
Thanks very much, Scott

:) :D

Dark Slayer

• One Hit Wonder
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2014, 07:50:53 pm »
Omg the classic emotes are back! :rollin:

Thanks, Scott. <3 The posts are looking so much better now.

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2014, 04:30:05 am »
so classic, wd thingy!

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2014, 08:17:31 pm »
why do I have to upload a video to post a single segment rank?

I put up a NFL vid, enjoy

Koch

• Ryan Koch
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2014, 02:55:18 pm »
Awesome! Thanks Scott!

:D

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2014, 12:05:17 am »
Can we please update the single segment rankings to show as 'Any%' instead of 'Agent'. This is in line with every other speedrunning community.

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2014, 06:35:28 am »
we are not like other speedrun communities. fuck them

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2014, 06:37:30 am »
That's actually a much better name, because "Agent" suggests all 20 levels.
sexy, this

spec BFR player

• what up
    • Spec
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2014, 03:08:54 am »
For World Records that are 5-way ties or less, the rankings could show the full people's names instead of initials. Just a layout stylish thing and it wouldn't take much more space.
Speedrun Times
Chat highlights not embed so that forums don't get clogged:
http://i.imgur.com/HPNYJKM.png
http://i.imgur.com/jDB72Q1.png

"Part of what makes a shitpost good is that it contains Truth."

« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2014, 03:40:55 am »
For World Records that are 5-way ties or less, the rankings could show the full people's names instead of initials. Just a layout stylish thing and it wouldn't take much more space.

Valid idea, but you'll bang your head against a brick wall if you wanna change ancient traditions. People love the initials.

Or this could be a perfect opportunity for you to submit a patch for this.  If you're interested and don't have sources, I can probably get you some access.  Let me know.

Hey, in the long run I'd very much like that, but not now and probably not for the remainder of 2014 (busy, moving, etc).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:49:09 am by OHMSS »

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2014, 10:56:54 am »
on this page

http://rankings.the-elite.net/~Cosmo

we already have Twitter and Youtube... we badly need a spot for Twitch.

there's a Twitch spot on the forum but there really should be on on the rankings too

hotshott

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2014, 11:30:54 am »
In the line of Twitch integration in the Rankings, when Twitch highlights are linked, the "Watch on Twitch" url is switched automatically to /b/ instead of /c/ causing 404 errors. I always upload to youtube for backups so it's not a pressing issue. If it's already been mentioned, then please ignore.  :)

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2014, 12:14:32 pm »
Can we please update the single segment rankings to show as 'Any%' instead of 'Agent'. This is in line with every other speedrunning community.

Dark Slayer

• One Hit Wonder
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »
Very very minor thing: when you're not logged in, the "Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents" message has virtually the same color as the spoiler bar, rendering it almost invisible. Is there a way to change the message color?

(again, really minor thing, it's more aesthetic than anything... it just annoys me a bit  :p)

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2014, 05:44:11 am »

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2014, 06:31:09 pm »
on this page

http://rankings.the-elite.net/~Cosmo

we already have Twitter and Youtube... we badly need a spot for Twitch.

there's a Twitch spot on the forum but there really should be on on the rankings too

In the line of Twitch integration in the Rankings, when Twitch highlights are linked, the "Watch on Twitch" url is switched automatically to /b/ instead of /c/ causing 404 errors. I always upload to youtube for backups so it's not a pressing issue. If it's already been mentioned, then please ignore.  :)

These three should be incredibly easy and take no more than 5 minutes total.  Quoted for Thingy and YE.