Author Topic: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2018 - post your ideas!]  (Read 66734 times)

Lark

• Español learner
    • Lark
    • GE
    • PD
Re: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2014 - post your ideas!]
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2014, 03:54:31 pm »
http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/nerd.gif

Please add this emoticon when you have the chance. It's a lost one from the ezboard
Embrace the grind.

TheFlash

« Reply #201 on: August 14, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »
Glad people care more about emoticons on the forum than critical features on the rankings...

Adam Miller

• AKA SyntheticPerson
    • GE
    • PD
    • My Backloggery
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2014, 01:32:35 pm »
On the rankings, would it be possible to add a flag (or star, or something) option to mark levels that you want to improve.?

The hit list is ok, but there may be difficult levels where you may be happy with a crappy time, and other levels that you want to improve more.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:45:48 pm by Adam Miller »
"If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life" - some guy

TheFlash

« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2014, 01:43:42 pm »
Sounds cool. Who wants to do the work? Any volunteers?

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2014, 07:14:19 pm »
I would like to see the LTK pages back.
sexy, this

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2014, 12:50:43 pm »
I was thinking maybe NTSC-J should be an option when submitting times on rankings? Just a thought.
Daniel Wodahs-Relklaw Coelho

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2014, 05:00:46 pm »
Wodahs is right, I've been asking YE to add "JAP" as an option for platform type for 2 years now with absolutely on replies of any kind. YE has let me down.

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
Re: VIDEO - Small Fundraiser for Elite Logo Design
« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:42 pm »
[unnamed rankings creator] has ignored multiple e-mails for many months, but we have backups for everything just in case he goes nuts and decides to remove everything or something. Scott is our main guy now, luckily.

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #208 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:19 pm »
No one has stepped up because no one can.  I can't tell people who have been asking me to work on a site with them "hey come work on the-elite" when none of; YE, Ngamer, Come, will support this.

You don't have to do work on this site EVER AGAIN if YE, Ngamer and co are ridded.  I have people lined up to take their place so long as it is approved.  This is literally that simple.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

TheFlash

« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2014, 12:14:13 am »
If you think you have talents to donate (programming time) you should also post here explaining what you are capable of or would like to contribute.

I want to make it clear that I don't have issues with people contributing code. In fact I encourage it

If there are other things anyone wants to take the initiative to build themselves, let me know!

Or this could be a perfect opportunity for you to submit a patch for this.  If you're interested and don't have sources, I can probably get you some access.  Let me know.

I'm willing to work with anyone who wants to donate time and skills to help the site.  If you really do have people who want to help out with adding feature X, I can work with them.  If they produce something that looks good to me, I'll either publish it to the site or forward it to YE.

Bottom line: None of the people you listed can stop me from making a change to the site.

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2014, 01:21:52 am »
Regarding other potential ranking ideas  (and I'm not asking thingy to do this now or ever hopefully [repeating this for emphasis])

I don't anticipate most games to switch over here and certainly we don't want to end up being like cyberscore (where it's a massive amount of games that just don't get anywhere near the top players/competition for games that a specific game centric site does) or lol n64highscores that never got more than a handful for 90% of the games and that's completely dead but here's a few that perhaps we could consider.

Mario Golf--a lot of the elite (and some karters) did have a go at this game and it's basically always played @ VA, just need to make all of you play speed golf at least a few times.   To me, from a future perspective, speedrunning wise it's decent esp from a 64 game these days on the twitch.

Timesplitters, (2 at first since that's the main one) needs an update but I recall the thing being broken and basically dead, hoping we can do manual somehow.   (and yes, if so I'm volunteering to update links/ranks--we won't need an auto updater b/c it's not many people playing these days but 3 years + of nothing is going to take a bit to update)

TWINE  (not as hilariously NO as it would've been a few years ago b/c of RTA runs and w/e the current rules are for IL's but I think this would have the least interest despite it being a 64 shooting game and fitting in with the site generally anyway)

Unless we somehow got say the elite scores database and could get that running (tho it'd just be monkey ball but that was pretty great) [though selfishly, I'd like my brawl times and scores :/)

I don't see other games to consider at this time but welcome to ideas.  We're not going to get GE/PD style ranks for other games obviously but maybe we can add a little bit here and there to this site to get people interested/keep them around.

Unfortunately, my coding skills are garbage these days (that was sooooo long ago and I wasn't good at it then...).

(while also yelling at mk64 to do RTA charts...)

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2014, 12:46:36 pm »
sexy, this

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2014, 02:23:57 pm »
Are those the players' personal pages? Cause if so...

I also wouldn't mind seeing (X points) beside new LTK times when posted on the rankings front page, like normal mode.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2014, 02:15:23 pm »
Is there an option to always show links and never an embed for videos? Even when it's intended with an embed tag.
If yes, I'd like to know where to find this option. If no, I'd like to suggest this feature.
sexy, this

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:54 pm »
The twitch link on the mainpage under quick links on the left that currently goes to theelitegaming (and under videos and streaming) should instead go to this link 

http://www.twitch.tv/team/theelite

(the word featured can be removed)

also some people need to be added to that (karl, marc, etc)

doesn't make sense to me to link specifically to a featured twitch that is only on once every 3 months.

TheFlash

« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2014, 12:34:32 am »
The twitch link on the mainpage under quick links on the left that currently goes to theelitegaming (and under videos and streaming) should instead go to this link 

http://www.twitch.tv/team/theelite

(the word featured can be removed)

also some people need to be added to that (karl, marc, etc)

doesn't make sense to me to link specifically to a featured twitch that is only on once every 3 months.

I passed this one along to Jim, he seemed receptive.

TheFlash

« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:28 am »
Is there an option to always show links and never an embed for videos? Even when it's intended with an embed tag.
If yes, I'd like to know where to find this option. If no, I'd like to suggest this feature.

There is no option available for you to just click, you could try to stir up someone to modify the plugin that does it, or just put together a userscript to just show links instead of embeds.

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2014, 12:54:32 am »
I actually didn't see this suggestion until tonight, but promptly made the change on the front page.

spec BFR player

• what up
    • Spec
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:19 am »
Show N/A's and/or 0-pointers in a different color on the hit list ; count those and put it where it's shown on the points/total time
Speedrun Times
Chat highlights not embed so that forums don't get clogged:
http://i.imgur.com/HPNYJKM.png
http://i.imgur.com/jDB72Q1.png

"Part of what makes a shitpost good is that it contains Truth."

TheFlash

« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:40 pm »
If you think you have talents to donate (programming time) you should also post here explaining what you are capable of or would like to contribute.

I want to make it clear that I don't have issues with people contributing code. In fact I encourage it

If there are other things anyone wants to take the initiative to build themselves, let me know!

Or this could be a perfect opportunity for you to submit a patch for this.  If you're interested and don't have sources, I can probably get you some access.  Let me know.

I'm willing to work with anyone who wants to donate time and skills to help the site.  If you really do have people who want to help out with adding feature X, I can work with them.  If they produce something that looks good to me, I'll either publish it to the site or forward it to YE.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2014, 07:19:53 am »
The code is already made.
sexy, this

TheFlash

« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2014, 10:01:26 am »
And it was rejected by YE. Feel free to try again.  Message me for details on what I would accept.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:17:53 am by TheFlash »

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:50 am »
I feel a bad taste in my mouth. Why weren't details communicated when it happened? I would have fixed what was necessary. All I remember is that YE didn't like getting some emails. You could direct them to me instead and I could fix problems more easily that way. Now we've been waiting for the pages to come back for however long it's been, and I've expressed wanting the LTK pages up several times before, yet this is the first time I'm hearing there's something I need to do.

You can send me all details on AIM.
sexy, this

TheFlash

« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2014, 02:44:14 pm »
YE has made it clear he will only accept modifications that do not produce any PHP warnings/errors. Your previous submission produced many warnings/errors and triggered emails to him with each one, so it was removed from the site pending updates to fix these errors.  I haven't gotten anything from you since then.  I assumed your repeated posting about it without any code was asking for someone else to implement it.  It won't be acceptable to just push something to the live site and see if it makes any error warnings after the fact.  I thought I had previously explained this to you in IM.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2014, 10:34:35 pm »
I was poking around in profiles of Eliters on the rankings and discovered under "Contact Details" that there isn't an option to include a Twitch.tv link. Since Twitch is quite a large venue for spreading popularity for GE, PD, and the-elite as a whole, I thought it'd make sense to ask if it could be included as an option for those of us who stream and want to add it to our profile.

-small detail but still worth asking about-  :v
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

TheFlash

« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2014, 12:53:32 am »
This has been suggested before -- no one has stepped forward to do it.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2014, 01:12:05 am »
No one has stepped up because no one can.  I can't tell people who have been asking me to work on a site with them "hey come work on the-elite" when none of; YE, Ngamer, Come, will support this.

You don't have to do work on this site EVER AGAIN if YE, Ngamer and co are ridded.  I have people lined up to take their place so long as it is approved.  This is literally that simple.

:nesquik: ?

TheFlash

« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2014, 10:42:47 am »
Up to now, no one other than Wouter has contacted me about contributing to the Rankings site.  I am willing to give anyone a chance to contribute and work with them to help them do that.

For Wouter, I set up access to the code repository, offered a development environment, and have been working with him to complete the addition of user LTK pages for some time now.  Props to him for stepping forward and offering to implement this neat feature.  I expect we'll have it live within a week.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »
That's awesome to hear! Really looking forward to it!

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2014, 06:18:54 pm »
Yes, thanks for helping me out to realize this, Scott! You've been great in feedback as well and I'm sure more people will step forward now that you've opened the door (more clearly) and I am also looking forward to many positive changes! :D
sexy, this

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2014, 06:20:03 pm »
Awesome to hear! This is quite exciting indeed.  :)

Cyberwrath87

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #235 on: October 18, 2014, 02:19:45 am »
Is there a reason why General Chat is the only board where I can actually respond/reply to a topic? It's like all the options to post for me disappeared on every other board, including GE/PD. what the f?

TheFlash

« Reply #236 on: October 18, 2014, 11:10:36 am »
There is. It looks like some rogue admin fiddled with your member group. Fixed!

Cyberwrath87

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2014, 11:52:48 am »
Thanks buddy!

Wody

• Pro Grinder
    • Lockwood
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2014, 02:47:19 pm »
Is it possible that the ranks could have flags next to peoples names with where they are from? kinda like this. I think that looks awesome and makes the ranks more interesting.

" WASSUP WASSUP!! "  

"Mod Madcapellan: good to hear clemens finally come clean"

Lockwood

spec BFR player

• what up
    • Spec
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2014, 03:21:01 pm »
Is it possible that the ranks could have flags next to peoples names with where they are from? kinda like this. I think that looks awesome and makes the ranks more interesting.

Let's go baby!
Speedrun Times
Chat highlights not embed so that forums don't get clogged:
http://i.imgur.com/HPNYJKM.png
http://i.imgur.com/jDB72Q1.png

"Part of what makes a shitpost good is that it contains Truth."

TheFlash

« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:26 pm »
Sounds cool, who wants to do it?

TheFlash

« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2014, 12:36:55 pm »
Time to incentivize this or what?

Twitch link from rankings profiles

Show N/A's and/or 0-pointers in a different color on the hit list ; count those and put it where it's shown on the points/total time

NTSC-J should be an option when submitting times on rankings

(X points) beside new LTK times when posted on the rankings front page

flags next to peoples names with where they are from

deactivate the "player a passed player b,c,d,e,f,g in time ranks" for everthing below like top 200

update the single segment rankings to show as 'Any%' instead of 'Agent'

on this page

http://rankings.the-elite.net/~Cosmo

we already have Twitter and Youtube... we badly need a spot for Twitch.

there's a Twitch spot on the forum but there really should be on on the rankings too

World Records that are 5-way ties or less, the rankings could show the full people's names instead of initials.

on this page, "007 Mode" should be replaced with "Perfect Dark Mode".

Quote from: Thingy
WR table should have WR "Leaders" table below it, rankings should be on a separate page instead PLEASE

Also, I'm sure most people know but didn't want to complain since we asked for them for so long, but the LTK pages are a little buggy. Video links seem to appear on random times, they don't work, and comments on LTK times link to totally unrelated videos. As a small aesthetic change, the text for "/"s, "pts", and the ranks are in a white colour, whereas for normal mode, they're more of a gray. Doesn't matter much, but it would look nicer if both had the same style.

Quote from: Thingy
Link the proof policy from the rankings site.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:34:04 pm by TheFlash »

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2014, 06:45:50 pm »
All fantastic ideas. Hopefully someone can step up for the site and bring some of it to reality! If I knew anything about bringing any of these things to the table, I'd help, but alas I'm technologically illiterate.

:v

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #243 on: November 06, 2014, 02:25:46 am »
Same deal with me, but I'll throw in some more suggestions/bugs:

For the NTSC/PAL times, the NTSC records correctly link to the corresponding times, but PAL times simply link to the player. This is a bug for both Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark.

Also, I'm sure most people know but didn't want to complain since we asked for them for so long, but the LTK pages are a little buggy. Video links seem to appear on random times, they don't work, and comments on LTK times link to totally unrelated videos. As a small aesthetic change, the text for "/"s, "pts", and the ranks are in a white colour, whereas for normal mode, they're more of a gray. Doesn't matter much, but it would look nicer if both had the same style.

And yes, I understand it's not you, Thingy, that is the one coding them, but I thought these fixes would be good to mention here.

TheFlash

« Reply #244 on: November 06, 2014, 10:11:52 am »

Thanks, passed this along.

Jbop

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2014, 10:32:13 am »
This has probably been brought up before and is very minor, but in the second paragraph on this page, "007 Mode" should be replaced with "Perfect Dark Mode".

This is really so hard to do that no one's fixed it yet? :nesquik:

TheFlash

« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2014, 10:49:26 am »
This has probably been brought up before and is very minor, but in the second paragraph on this page, "007 Mode" should be replaced with "Perfect Dark Mode".

This is really so hard to do that no one's fixed it yet? :nesquik:

I would, but this is a really good gateway fix.  If someone new wants to help out and contribute to the site, chances are they will be able to figure this one out quickly.  Suddenly they have some level of familiarity with the codebase and can help attack more daunting bugs later.

If I continue fixing easy things like this, everyone else will depend on me, a random dude who doesn't even play GE/PD.  I only ever started messing with the rankings site because there was a huge call for RTA rankings ahead of AGDQ last year.  I'm still very willing to be active in a managing role, helping others to improve the site by giving them access to the code and reviewing their proposed changes.

If someone really wants some of those bugs fixed but has no programming experience to offer, they could instead offer incentives for some developer to complete these fixes.  I know you guys do care about the site and want it to be as awesome as possible.  I do too, but I don't want to make your community dependent upon one random person who could disappear and then suddenly you're back to square one.  Sound familiar?

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2014, 11:35:04 am »
** new GE incentives **

Clemens B2 0:23 - I will learn PHP and fix the "007 mode" bug JBop mentioned.

Ogran

• Lookup
    • Ogran
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #248 on: November 13, 2014, 01:32:26 pm »
I'm not very advanced with PHP, but I think I can help towards some of those jobs. I only dabbled in PHP for some website development in my downtime, t'was fairly basic but got used to grabbing using databases with mySQL etc.

I've dabbled in a few languages through high-school/college/university and while being about average in a few of them, feel I can do some good. Studying Computer Science at the moment so welcome to some fun to do between lectures/goldeneye.  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:46:08 am by Ogran »
Here in and of the dark, our city, it's streets and walls
Here we live, we are, inside our homes and malls

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #249 on: November 14, 2014, 05:14:14 am »
On the rankings front page, when x seconds are cut, add "from x:xx" if it's an improvement from a previous PR.
sexy, this