Author Topic: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2018 - post your ideas!]  (Read 66732 times)

TheFlash

Re: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2014 - post your ideas!]
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2014, 04:12:16 pm »
From what Wouter told me, it was the only thing people played or cared about before Twitch came along.

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2014, 04:25:26 pm »
When people started doing SS runs for the first time in 2004 or so they started using real time. Then game time later became the norm until around late 2012 when Marc started doing runs and streaming became a thing. For obvious reasons we only focus on real time runs now.

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2014, 04:53:12 pm »
Wouter is straight wrong.  Ace has a typo in his post.  From 2004 to about 2007 people used GAME time.  Then once Clemens started running it, he was like screw game time, wtf, and went with real time.  Part of the reason the elite was left in the dust, outside of the SDA/SRL loop for many years was because of this distinction.

There is no need for game time.  90% of top 100 GE and PD players will agree with this.  Real time only please.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:57 pm »
Suddenly leaving out Game Time is like suddenly removing a level from the ranks. There are 2 logical different ways of doing single segment, and they both deserve their own rankings. They each require different strategies and approach for the best results.

Just because Archives SA/00 has been the popular level lately, does not mean people can't choose to play and rank the other levels or difficulty. Same goes for Real Time being popular now, the categories do not discriminate against each other.
sexy, this

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:23 pm »
No one uses game time anymore, it's irrel.
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2014, 07:29:41 am »
Telling Wouter that game time is irrel is a bit rascally of you when his 00A WR on SDA was the most popular GE video of its era. At least it was the best video download when you googled "goldeneye speedrun" and it completely blew casuals away back in the day (I know a few people irl who watched it).

But I agree that the future is 100% RTA and there is little to no need for active, ongoing game time rankings. Maybe something like a history page would be more fitting!?

TheFlash

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 03:38:27 am »
I put in the real time thing on GE and then a wave of protesters said that Game Time needs to be removed, so I've hidden that section.  Also removed Game Time from PD.

I heard someone say there's another ranking list that needs to get added? I can try to do it before the players go on for the big streaming convention so we can link our site as a cool, hip place with tons of cool records instead of a Google Doc.

Please fill in your times! With videos, if you have them.

I asked our new Ranking Admin, Jimbo, to fill in users' times if they haven't got them on within the next couple days.

TheFlash

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 04:19:48 am »
Filtered the RSS feeds. All feeds now ignore 0 point PRs and WRs from the short level where everyone has the WR.

If these criteria should be adjusted, let me know.

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 05:15:10 am »
main site and/or ranks probably needs a "STREAMING NOW" thing somewhere (the top?) with our twitch API stuff.

I know we have this on the boards; but noobs generally ain't going to no f'ing boards.

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2014, 05:37:04 am »
Good stuff Flash!

The RTA page for PD still looks outdated (Boss PR ...):
http://rankings.the-elite.net/perfect-dark/single-segments
I think it could help the hype if people would put the correct data up there before AGDQ.

All feeds now ignore [..] WRs from the short level where everyone has the WR.

So Duel 9 isn't even shown anymore? ^^

EDIT: 100% category in GE is still missing!?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:53:05 am by OHMSS »

Thiradell

• Third
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2014, 06:05:01 am »
Cleaned up PD, thanks for pointing that out. If Boss wants to put up 54:07 that's cool but I figured I'd use the time with the vid.
nothin' moves me more than a groove that soothes me
nothin' soothes me more than a groove that boosts me
nothin' boosts me more, or suits me beautifully
there's nothin' you can do to me; stab me, shoot me

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2014, 09:46:57 am »
So now I can't even see my own single segment up there because some people have egotistical hatred towards game time?

I think the protesters are showing a lack of gratitude, and this decision shouldn't have been put through without a fair discussion (between rational and professional staff capable of making such decisions. protesters come from a place of emotion, not exactly a good place to form a good decision from)
sexy, this

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2014, 10:00:34 am »
For the record, I find it very interesting to see the sum of the mission times ranked, even if they come from the same run that's ranked under real time. It's like a game that tracks the total time itself but ignores cutscenes etc.

Take this as a noob/outsider's opinion (or a group of protesters' opinion...)
sexy, this

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:11 am »
I agree to some extent Wouter. In fact, I do add the mission times on my runs so I can compare them to the game time WRs / total time on the rankings. I just think it is unnecessary to make another rankings table dedicated to them. No one is going to do game-time runs anymore either. Maybe another column could be added (sort of like http://www.deertier.com/GameTime.aspx) although that might add a little clutter.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2014, 10:29:43 am »
We can hide the table on the single segments page once there is a new implementation for it then.
Still I think it is odd to single out game time. If 100% and all 60 are going to be added there as well, it will arguably be clutter as well in several years when interest is zero. Interest for real time can change too. The decision to have it on that page shouldn't come from the current popularity or disinterest, but you could simply order the tables on that criteria.
sexy, this

TheFlash

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2014, 02:38:07 pm »
Well, I can bring it back any time, don't get too worked up over it.  It belongs on there somewhere IMO.

So Duel 9 isn't even shown anymore? ^^

Should it be? They told me to ignore that level completely.

EDIT: 100% category in GE is still missing!?

Probably try to get around to it before the streaming event happens but no guarantees.

TheFlash

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2014, 12:27:28 am »
Added 100% and All 60 categories.   Please submit your times.

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2014, 01:36:15 am »
I submitted all the times for 100% and all 60, but didn't bother with vids..

Imperfect Clark

• Clark
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • https://twitter.com/theelitedotnet
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:29 am »
Agree with Wouter that game time should remain just because there isn't adequate cause to just strip out content.  Perhaps just suppress it in the menus to avoid confusion about the primary full-game format.

Don't see why was uproar about the Come incident; not worth the fuss

Same with Ngamer... apathy is not villainy, and as Scott pointed out, there isn't really a central figure here nor does there need to be one.
Derek Clark

"i'm 1.1 in my hart, u know that" - Matthijs ten Ham.

Imperfect Clark

• Clark
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015RankingsDev
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2014, 08:14:06 am »
Always interested in ways to improve the home page.  YE is developing an API for the rankings that will allow me to pull in content  into widgets on the home page (like recent WRs and recent videos--eliminating dependency on uploads to "theelitewrvids" on youtube to have a video feed).  Integration between all these different resources should be a major priority.  Ideally there'd be user sync between the boards, the rankings, and the front page...

The home page should probably help new players figure out where to begin.  And a 2014-relevant FAQ would probably be a good idea.

Was thinking of rotating photos in the header area for kicks (as a background in the space behind the ad for those that see it).  I'm also all about posting humorous stuff, like those anigifs of lockwood/1:13 that thingy shared.
Derek Clark

Imperfect Clark

• Clark
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015RankingsDev
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2014, 08:17:27 am »
Fine with making elite council members visible and a fan of transparency in general.

Summer contest... maybe just shift it to something new and innocuous, like a bracket of GE/PD accomplishments (records new and old)
Derek Clark

bcks

• <3 Rashida Jones
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »
I'm for people not fucking changing there name every damn day of the week. It gets annoying trying to figure out who is who, and what name(s) they went by years ago, let alone days ago.

TheFlash

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2014, 02:36:56 am »
I'm for people not fucking changing there name every damn day of the week. It gets annoying trying to figure out who is who, and what name(s) they went by years ago, let alone days ago.

Hi, is this in reference to the forums or the rankings?  We have been trying to figure out the best course of action regarding forum name changes.  There is a strong and vocal minority(??) that would be quite upset if we locked down name changing completely, so we are trying to compromise.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2014, 07:12:14 am »
I'm annoyed so I would like to control the actions of others and not let them have fun so that life is slightly easier for me.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

bcks

• <3 Rashida Jones
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 12:27:33 am »

Hi, is this in reference to the forums or the rankings?  We have been trying to figure out the best course of action regarding forum name changes.  There is a strong and vocal minority(??) that would be quite upset if we locked down name changing completely, so we are trying to compromise.

Forums of course. Perhaps, if there was a way to click on there name, and see there previous used names. That would help me, and possibly some others.

I'm annoyed so I would like to control the actions of others and not let them have fun so that life is slightly easier for me.

Not true, you didn't change much of your name, and your the only karl I know, so your simple to remember. Its the others that have no sign of previous board names, or real names, or past alias, that are the hard ones to figure out.

« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2014, 09:12:32 am »
Jim, I don't like your governmental arbitrariness of assigning showcase WRs on the rankings to your buddies just because you can.

Dam 53 now shows Eddie Lovins (VHS quality, boring 2:0), but I think most people would agree that a zero boost run would be the best choice to showcase pure skill. Before it was Cervone's run, which was good. Actually it should be a no-music version of Luke's ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkgU_upY0lY ) because it's zero boost and DVD quality.

You also had Fac 43 assigned to Luke even though it's the worst possible choice (TNS).

Just saying :nesquik: The WR page should be nothing but a trophy room.

EDIT:

Runway 22 Jim Barrett 2.x, starts with quitouts :v

B1 17 Shawn Johnson, starts with quitouts

Archives 16 Ryan Koch VHS quality

Cmon, these are terrible showcase video choices!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:31:29 am by OHMSS »

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2014, 09:31:02 am »
Jim wants some variety instead of DC/MR/RI dominating, but yeah I agree 43 TNS and 53 are bad choices. :nesquik:

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:37 am »
Are you seriously complaining about quitouts? You and I have different viewpoints then. That shows a previous best time plus it shows some human element to getting the times versus seeing just the time and some of the end screen. I swapped Luke's 0:43 a while ago as well.

Eddie has no other choice of WR, tried to give variety versus handing them out to my "buddies".

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2014, 10:00:50 am »
Are you seriously complaining about quitouts? You and I have different viewpoints then.

Yup, my opinion is that showcase videos should have minimal overhead.

tried to give variety versus handing them out to my "buddies".

Variety is great and I have no problem at all with whoever being showcased, as long as priority 1 is a concise video in colored, good capture quality with ingame sound and no shady things (like huge borders or skipped endscreen) and priority 2 the best choice for some run-specific reason (e.g., no use of 2.x, minimal boosts, was an untied run, low decimal, hostage objective on screen, something different on identical SA/00A levels like Henrik's new route / box boost 54, non-TNS, ...).

EDIT

On a different matter: The once hidden 0pt-times are back to the feed. I liked it more when they were gone :)

And there is still the bug on this page
http://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye/systems
The initials on the NTSC side link to the time, on the PAL side they wrongly link to the player profile.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:11:19 am by OHMSS »

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2014, 10:51:56 am »
What is your view on never showcasing JAP runs on things other than Caverns 00A? That's actually why I picked Fanny's run for Bunker 17. Eddie could take Runway 22 (1.2 record in 2009), I could take Bunker 17 (good quality, got stuck!), and we can vote on who gets Dam 53/Archives 16.

I'm not a dictator, shoot me some suggestions! I actually thought it was cool to put my Runway 22 as the featured vid since it's great quality/non-streamed and shows what 2.2 can do.

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2014, 12:58:41 pm »
Sorry if I sounded like I wanted to impute malversation to you, obviously we have just different opinions.

Like I said above, a re-upload (ingame sound only) of Luke's zero boost run would be a great 53 showcase. Cervone's run has ok quality too and got the level music, which is a plus for showcase runs I guess.
I like 16 as it is now because it's good quality and I'm a big Axel Z fan! Music off might be a contra.
Lovins' 22 sounds decent, quality is ok but just 240p.
Idk about 17.

At least one of the Streets 155s should be with 1.2 imo, maybe showcase Goose's SA.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:05:11 pm by OHMSS »

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »
The preferred videos should be changed every now and then imo.

For Dam 53: Cervone's run is the best.

For Runway 22: Cervone's run is the best again (not counting 2.2 runs).

For Bunker 17: my 17 probably has the best quality but the run in itself isn't that great (Illu's 17 is probably the best).

My Archives 16 sucks. Adrian Axelsson's 16 is a better run.

edit: I set Henrik's Archives 00A 0:54 as preferred for obvious reasons.

TheFlash

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2014, 02:19:07 pm »
EDIT

On a different matter: The once hidden 0pt-times are back to the feed. I liked it more when they were gone :)

And there is still the bug on this page
http://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye/systems
The initials on the NTSC side link to the time, on the PAL side they wrongly link to the player profile.

Thanks for the notice on the NTSC/PAL issue, I'll add it to the list.

If you're talking about the main RSS feeds linked from the actual site, yeah I put those back to normal -- I made a new feed URL for the ones that go to the message boards with the 0pt times properly filtered out (instead of just a hack) and the points included in the title: http://rankings.the-elite.net/ge-pointprs.rss and http://rankings.the-elite.net/pd-pointprs.rss

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2014, 04:30:45 pm »
This has probably been brought up before and is very minor, but in the second paragraph on this page, "007 Mode" should be replaced with "Perfect Dark Mode".

dragondragon18

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2014, 07:18:33 pm »
I had an idea of borrowing something from the mario kart rankings.  They have a separate 2014 rankings for only times gotten in 2014.  Each person would have their own 2014 timespage with only times gotten in 2014 (doesn't have to be PRs) which compares their times to their actual PR.  Of course proof hard proof wouldn't be necessary for this, since it's only a side ranking.

Any thoughts?

Edit:  Link - http://www.mariokart64.com/mk64/2014/
D Warrior

TheFlash

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2014, 07:33:59 pm »
Based on what I know of the rankings system, it's maybe a little harder than you'd guess.  Some stuff is already there though....for example, you can always submit a worse-than-PR time at a later date and it will be added to your record.

TheFlash

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:05 pm »
Anyone else finding that the login box at the top of the forums is saying incorrect password, but the other areas (bottom of page or next page) work?

TheFlash

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2014, 12:13:32 pm »
Repost from GE:

For the agent category there have now been more than 10 times submitted, but you can only see 10, and nowhere is there a way to "see more" or anything.

Thanks for the heads-up. It looks like YE originally set these up to only show the top 10.  I guess I'll set it to show as many as are submitted?

You also can't edit your run if there's no video. A workaround is to delete your time and resubmit it with comments, but that's annoying.

Okay, I'll see if there's a way to get around this.

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:33 am »
Can we please put an end to words on the forums automatically censoring to other words?

Jimbo becomes "irrelephant"

Sorcery becomes tomfoolery

Barber becomes Bearder

etc

This needs to stop immediately.  Fix this Scott or I will email Clark.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2014, 08:03:50 pm »
Is it really that hard for some admins to not be retarded?

Thanks scott for your work!
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

TheFlash

« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »
I've never added any of these to the censor list, must have been someone else.

I believe someone's just trying to have fun?  Someone decided Jimbo could wear a new nickname for a week or so.

If you really don't want any fun allowed we can lock down username changes too...

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2014, 01:03:12 am »
That's not fun.  It's lame.

Change it back or I will end the elite.  You know I have the power to do it.

Smit

• Oh, this is suicide! There's nowhere to go.
    • Eise
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2014, 02:42:33 am »
That's not fun.  It's lame.

Change it back or I will end the elite.  You know I have the power to do it.

Say what? Damn you guys for trying to have a little "non-goose approved" fun!

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2014, 01:51:06 pm »
Considering I post a lot, I help people out, I'm fairly high-ranked and popular to newbies, and am acknowledged a fair amount... an automatic censorship is absolutely retarded and has overstayed its welcome.

It was funny when I first saw it here 3 years ago:

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:04 pm »
On the ranks main page, you should turn off the displaying of someone climbing the time ranks if that guys doesn't have, for instance, sub 3h total time (maybe 2h or 2h 30m for GE). The whole page is full of ...
Passed Phil Hughes, Nathaniel Coughran, Ian Krueger, Jack Krone and Matthew Barker in time ranks to 361st
... whenever a newcomer gets rid of an N/A. That's the pinnacle of irrelevance!

And please shut down 0pt times again. My WR got pushed off the main page in just a day by classics like B2 SA 11:01 and other speedruns that don't even unlock the level cheat, holy fuck!

Nothing wrong with a newcomer completing all the levels at all, but it's nothing I want to see on the news. And maybe it makes those guys feel bad about  posting times aswell when their armada of low-end PRs pushes down some high point time. At least I didn't like posting my shit PD times when a good time was on top.

Could maybe make a checkbox to show all times and save the choice with a cookie.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:27:48 pm by OHMSS »

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2014, 08:17:49 pm »
http://rankings.the-elite.net/ge-pointprs.rss ohmss  this was the compromise I guess

agree strongly with ohmss regarding quitouts  someone's vid of some pr I watched had TWO of them and I went into a mini rage, clean up your f'ing vids ffs.  QO's in pr vids are just awful.  Sometimes you want to go back and rewatch certain points and QO's make it suck b/c youtube I often have to start at the beginning.

would also like to hear on suggestions from people who are newer to the site since they have fresh eyes and all (I think someone suggested it wasn't noob friendly and I think I agree with that, there's way too much irrel inside stuff linked [fake chats from people I don't know and inside jokes I don't know and I'm one of the longest members here, meets that I've always disliked being on the main, summer contest crap,  gamefaqs links, etc]  then again I couldnt get timesplitters ranks linked off the main site and we actually HOSTED those rankings for years so idk why I care to post this stuff.  (page is still there even tho we can't update (script is el busto and I don't think anyone is manually doing a WR chart but that still can't get linked but we have so much worse crap linked instead?  I don't get it, I really don't)

to something that might actually happen
At some point this
http://www.twitch.tv/team/theelite

needs to be part of the main (not just a link) but idk how to go about it right now. top stream/streamer who's currently playing a game or top one that's playing GE/PD or w/e. 

Dunno if it's just me but when I open the-elite's homepage generally first thing my eyes see is the donation button, the second is the communtiy and meetups tab.  Terrible initial impression.

minor--the follow us block is both the bottom left and upper right of the page.
home is a completely irrel tab, you can't go anywhere then go back using it but I feel like rankings should be in the center?  idk how people want to do that.  I realize a bit of my complaints are just view the page who cares but you don't see other pages/sites link to things from 2000 unless the site is literally dead.  Homepages are here and now type stuff.

TheFlash

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2014, 08:36:31 pm »
And please shut down 0pt times again. My WR got pushed off the main page

Are you talking about the main page of the rankings where it lists activity? I've never changed how those behave as far as I know.  I could look at it sometime...

Maybe some type of sorting where we put recent high ranked times nearer the top or leave them on the page longer, than lower ranked times?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:42:58 pm by TheFlash »

Thiradell

• Third
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:24 am »
For rankings feed I'd say:
-By default, the feed only shows times worth points
-Maybe some kind of option that lets people view all times instead (dunno how hard that is)
-Add a "recent WRs" (or last 5, or last 10) feed under the Welcome sign, so those stay up longer
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:00:19 am by Thiradell »
nothin' moves me more than a groove that soothes me
nothin' soothes me more than a groove that boosts me
nothin' boosts me more, or suits me beautifully
there's nothin' you can do to me; stab me, shoot me

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2014, 10:42:04 am »
get rid of the duel WRs in the PD WR feed

Time was untied when set.

• Dat clutchness
    • Clemens
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2014, 10:51:04 am »
Speaking along those lines, I think we should have a minimum points limit for the feed as well. Kinda ruins the point when its constantly cluttered with 2 point times that (quite frankly) arent worth being in there. Also as ace said, duel needs to go as well.
teh peoples champ