Author Topic: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2018 - post your ideas!]  (Read 66721 times)

TheFlash

Re: Site Suggestions [Elite improvements for 2018 - post your ideas!]
« Reply #700 on: March 30, 2018, 11:45:40 am »
I have a good idea. How about we have a "Scroll to the player rankings table" arrow at the top of the page that scrolls to the tables. Literally only 1 tag and 2 lines of jQuery code (or for the INTJs that prefer JavaScript, 5 lines of code).

Mate 64

https://gitlab.com/the-elite-net/rankings/issues/97#note_63388468

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #701 on: March 30, 2018, 12:23:44 pm »
Hold up dude. I am well aware of how to incorporate a change now. I am trying to get feedback from people.

Tapiocaweasel

• GE
« Reply #702 on: March 31, 2018, 07:27:02 pm »
I would repeat that a link from somewhere in the ranking pages to an explanation of how the ranking work, or a brief explanation on the ranking pages for individual levels or something, would be helpful for new visitors as well. Although i suppose its not tricky to figure out from context.

But it sounds like most people agree a button to skip down to the rankings or something that makes that clear is for sure a good idea.

Tapiocaweasel

• GE
« Reply #703 on: April 16, 2018, 07:49:51 pm »
So, seemed like most people were in agreement on this. Doesn't seem like there should be much problem just putting in a button to scroll down the rankings directly.

TheFlash

« Reply #704 on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:59 pm »
So, seemed like most people were in agreement on this. Doesn't seem like there should be much problem just putting in a button to scroll down the rankings directly.

Seems so, I wonder if anyone will do it??

TheFlash

« Reply #705 on: April 16, 2018, 08:52:09 pm »

Seems so, I wonder if anyone will do it??

To encourage anyone who is interested in helping add features to the rankings but doesn't know how to start, I will make a live stream about fixing something from the Issues page.

It will start in around 1 hour.

TheFlash

« Reply #706 on: April 16, 2018, 09:44:31 pm »
To encourage anyone who is interested in helping add features to the rankings but doesn't know how to start, I will make a live stream about fixing something from the Issues page.

It will start in around 1 hour.

The live stream will begin in 15 minutes. It will be streamed on Twitch.tv:

https://twitch.tv/snorge

TheFlash

« Reply #707 on: April 16, 2018, 11:11:33 pm »
The live stream is over. We went for 1 hour.  There were at least 10 concurrent viewers at one point. Chat was not very active.

The issue we chose to tackle was #91 - Supply comment text consistently on all pages.  Our goal was to get some level of consistency every place there is a comment icon.  Some said "Read the comments", some were blank, and some showed the comment text when you hovered over them.

We had to modify 7 files and also got to look at almost every aspect of the framework -- templates, controllers, procedures, cache, and javascript.

You can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZaFhmtKz4
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:27:37 pm by TheFlash »

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #708 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:48 pm »
I think the reason for only 10 viewers and non-active chat was because you gave a single hour of notice.  :v  :p

I think if we wanted to tackle more things and get MORE input from people, we should schedule this at a date further down the road, maybe a few days, or weeks ahead, hell even make it a weekly or monthly thing. Get GOOSE to advertise it, who knows.
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

TheFlash

« Reply #709 on: April 16, 2018, 11:47:55 pm »
only 10

10 is a lot.

schedule this

That's not the point of the exercise.  The point is to have something everyone can watch in the future when they are interested in this a year from now.

tackle more things and get MORE input from people

Decisions and input are gathered in the issue threads, it's not something you work out during a coding live stream.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #710 on: April 16, 2018, 11:49:52 pm »
10 is not a lot if chat didn't reflect that, and it seems that it did not.

You'd rather wait an entire year than to have as many issues sorted out as soon as we can? That's what I'm taking away from you replying like that.

We can get people interested, we just have to fast track it. There's always a way.

"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Vermin

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #711 on: April 16, 2018, 11:54:57 pm »
I appreciate what you're doing Flash!

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #712 on: April 17, 2018, 12:00:16 am »
You can watch it here:

6:30 in so far, and your mic quality severely dropped with crackling and echoing. Not sure if it gets better later in the video but yeah..

TheFlash

« Reply #713 on: April 17, 2018, 12:03:25 am »
You can watch it here:

6:30 in so far, and your mic quality severely dropped with crackling and echoing. Not sure if it gets better later in the video but yeah..

Thanks for letting me know. Sometimes that happens and I have to unplug my microphone for a moment. But it fixes itself after a couple minutes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:18:20 am by TheFlash »

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #714 on: July 31, 2018, 10:38:13 pm »
On the LTK rankings, it says Enemy Health for LTK "can be set to the minimum" when it should say "must be set to the minimum" or "is set to minimum". Applies to the PD LTK rankings as well.

This is now fixed.

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #715 on: September 02, 2018, 06:37:33 pm »
(sorry I haven't the time to read through all 15 pages but I did use the search tool first)

Can we have a Rare LTK rankings? (Exactly how the rare ranks are now but with LTK)
I brought this up a while ago (in discord?), but can there also be an achievement for all LTK complete for one game/both? We now have 4 3 eliters (Boss/David Cliff/David Veach) who have completed LTK in its entirety, and I think it's an extraordinary gaming accomplishment and should be recognized as such.
90+ hrs into XC2 NG+, going for 100%. Be back when I get bored.

TheFlash

« Reply #716 on: September 03, 2018, 01:26:27 am »
(sorry I haven't the time to read through all 15 pages but I did use the search tool first)

Can we have a Rare LTK rankings? (Exactly how the rare ranks are now but with LTK)
I brought this up a while ago (in discord?), but can there also be an achievement for all LTK complete for one game/both? We now have 4 3 eliters (Boss/David Cliff/David Veach) who have completed LTK in its entirety, and I think it's an extraordinary gaming accomplishment and should be recognized as such.

https://gitlab.com/the-elite-net/rankings/issues/106

Thanks for the suggestion, I've copied it over to GitLab so it won't be buried in the topic.

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #717 on: September 24, 2018, 07:46:26 am »

never seen this before, wondering what it means and if it's related to account sign-up/email recovery issues
it happened at the same time as the rankings usual daily backup deletion/mysqldump thing

edit: just did a log search and found it twice more, once on the previous day (sept 23) and once way back in 2015 on august 4
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:09:51 am by flicker »

TheFlash

« Reply #718 on: September 24, 2018, 09:56:40 am »
never seen this before, wondering what it means

The backup size created a message larger than the maximum message size setting. I increased that.

and if it's related to account sign-up/email recovery issues

No, that is just people using email addresses that don't exist or providers that like to filter out legitimate mail for no reason if it is not sent from a major provider.

Niiro Kitsune

• Have an Arabian night.
    • GE
    • twitch
Broken RSS?
« Reply #719 on: October 13, 2018, 08:20:00 am »
I'm subscribed to the "All Goldeneye World Records" feed in my chrome browser but it hasn't updated for me since Joris' Runway SA 22 from a week ago. Anyone else notice this problem?
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

TheFlash

Re: Broken RSS?
« Reply #720 on: October 13, 2018, 01:13:41 pm »
See if it works now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:23:35 pm by TheFlash »

Niiro Kitsune

• Have an Arabian night.
    • GE
    • twitch
Re: Broken RSS?
« Reply #721 on: October 13, 2018, 03:55:47 pm »
Yeah, it's back to normal again, thanks
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

TheFlash

« Reply #722 on: November 04, 2018, 01:30:01 am »
The site was moved to a new server a few hours ago.

If you notice anything is broken, let me know.

TheFlash

« Reply #723 on: November 04, 2018, 11:35:59 pm »

Looks like some setting or process with the database had a slight error dealing with the character encoding. It probably only affects the forum, not the rankings. The sign would be a post that should have content that looks blank, or a character that looks funny showing up in someone's username or some text somewhere.

If you see some of this stuff, don't try to edit it, I'll get it fixed soon enough. No data has been lost.

TheFlash

« Reply #724 on: November 05, 2018, 03:26:42 am »

Looks like some setting or process with the database had a slight error dealing with the character encoding.

Okay, I think this should be fixed for at least posts and usernames.

If you notice any other spot on the site showing funny characters, please let me know so I can fix it.  There are probably other spots....

(If it is a pre-2010 post, those came from another forum software and odd things happened...should still do a rescue mission on those sometime....)