Author Topic: Future Perfect!  (Read 1775 times)

Koch

• Ryan Koch
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Future Perfect!
« on: October 31, 2006, 06:07:00 pm »
This is the only 'Timesplitters' Game that I have, and I think its a very good game.
Jed is my favorite character  >D  

Post discussion here! :b  :)  

edit: I really should try speedruning it!

Anemptybox

• twitch
Future Perfect!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »
It's a great game but I haven't played it in like 3 months or so. My favourite character is Chinese Chef for no particular reason, I just like him.

And I think you should try speedrunning it, Tsfp need some activity >D

Comet

• GE
    • PD
Future Perfect!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 06:33:00 pm »
I didn't enjoy speedrunning it nearly as much as GE or PD. Competition isn't too great either (mind you the top players are absolutely insane, there's just not a whole lot past that).
-Comet

Comet

• GE
    • PD
Future Perfect!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »
Don't get my wrong though. It's a great game and i had fun on challenges and such. Speedrunning just didn't have the same feel though and i couldn't get into it.
-Comet

Koch

• Ryan Koch
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Future Perfect!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:13:00 pm »
I know exactly what you mean, Comet.

The multilpayer is great. :)  

But yea. Speedruning just doesn't have the same click. And lol FW/ST are insane.

Im stuck on PD and GE! :b

Satisfaction

Future Perfect!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 12:17:00 pm »
Quote:
But yea. Speedruning just doesn't have the same click. And lol FW/ST are insane.

Heeeeeeeeey, I'm also insane!

failurewarning

Future Perfect!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »
if it wasn't for people like ST working the strats down into a fine art, your times wouldn't exsist. I think you should have a little more respect for the founding fathers and the work they have put in

Satisfaction

Future Perfect!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »
I respect those people, of course! The Potty strat by ST is really really nice!
But I found the strats for WLB, High Road, Lip Up Fatty, Screw Loose (the better strat) and Big Game Hunt.

Who has actually found out the Beating Crow Fast Glitch?

Matthijs Triep

Future Perfect!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
It was Jak who found that.

The stuff you mentioned that you found yourself, wasn't that already known? I'm not trying to diss you, but it's very possible that it was known already.

Satisfaction

Future Perfect!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »
Ummmm......I think I found those.

failurewarning

Future Perfect!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »
before I set you straight, what did you find on those levels?

Silent Thunder

• Less dangerous than invisible lightning.
    • GE
    • PD
Future Perfect!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
No you didn't find the full strats out for those stages.  You perhaps built upon existing strats, such as WLB and a couple others.  You did not find every single trick used in all of those stages.

Huge amounts of credit goes to FailureWarning, Fitzy, and others for their work on developing the story mode strats that were in place before you came here, satisfaction.  You might have fairly good times if you hadn't seen their videos and strats, but your times wouldn't be what they are if it weren't for them.

And that is what this whole thing is about, or should be.  Players develop strats for stages and get good times.  They share the strats used so that others can look at the strats and perhaps see something that could be done different that would get a faster time.  The incorporate that new thing, or several new things, into the strat and get a new time and show it off.  Somebody else sees something and builds on further.  As we do this, we approach the limits of the game as far as speed is concerned, or sometimes break them, which is something no individual player has a chance in hell of doing all on his own.

The foundations for the strats in TSFP, however, were set by players like Fitzy, failurewarning, myself, and many others that were there at the beginning when the game came out.  The basic foundations of the current strats were set by those players when there was nothing to build off of, and creativity was all there was to go by.  Right now we are just building on those basic stats.  That's why they deserve some respect.

We wouldn't have the strats we have now if players didn't make videos and give advice.  Want an example of this?  I'll give one from TS2.  Silent But Deadly.

When I first came to ngc-elites, the fastest strat known to the entire community for SBD was to start, shoot the first guard, then shoot the camera on the radar dish building, and then proceed to shoot the remaining three guards and finish, hopefully not getting caught by the one camera at the end.  Doing that got around 27.1 if you pulled if off really well.  The community had been stuck with this strat for a long time.

When I showed up, I hated trying to shoot that camera on the radar dish building.  I couldn't do it for the life of me.  The rest of the strat I learned from watching a vid, but I just had a ton of trouble with that one camera.  After competing on the site for a year or so, I realised that maybe I didn't have to worry about that camera at all if I was fast enough.  I tried just ignoring the guards and running and hitting the switch and then running straight to the hole to see if I could beat the camera.  It turned out I could.  After that, it was only a matter of pulling off the three headshots while still having good strafing.  Eventually I did it and got 27.2.  After a while I lowered that to 27.0.

What's interesting was that this strat had been known to a player before I even showed up at ngc-elites.  He just didn't share the strat.  He was convinced that he had found the absolute best strat for the stage and didn't want to give away the strat.  He said the best possible time for SBD would be 26.9.

I shared the strat.  Made a video and so on.  I was also pretty sure I had found the best strat for the stage, and it eventually became obvious that the best possible time was indeed 26.9.  The camera near the end was what forced this limit.

Eventually I pulled off 26.9 using that strat.  It was great.  The stage was maxed out.  I never had to play it again.  I posted the time and got some nice congrats.  The next day, Fitzy drops a bombshell.  He got 27.3 on PAL.  That's equivilent to at worst 26.8 NTSC.  How?  He made an addition to the 26.9 strat.  He realised the following:  The final camera is what's limiting the time?  Then take out the final camera!

Thus he built onto the strat.  The WR is now an "impossible" 26.5.  Would that have happened if the 26.9 strat hadn't been shared?  Probably not.  The thing is, it could have happened sooner had somebody else not hidden the 26.9 strat for themselves because they were convinced they had the best strat.

Credit for the current WR goes to those who developed the first SBD strats and shared them with other players so that it could perhaps be improved, and the players who improved the strat and shared it so that it perhaps could be further improved, and so on.  Without that happening, the WR would not be where it is today.

I owe several people for getting 26.5 on SBD.  There's no way I would have pulled it off and figured out how to do it just playing on my own.

failurewarning

Future Perfect!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 02:45:00 pm »
a perfect example there ST.

you see, when you get an amazing time, you don't do it on your own. For people who have joined recently and were not there at the start, finding things for themselves is tough. So you learn from the videos and/or strat that do exsist. If you then find something that will save time, it doesn't then become YOUR strat. You just tweek what is currently known.

Satisfaction

Future Perfect!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
I did my WLB, High Road and Time to Split times without seeing any vids.
I created a better Screw Loose and Big Game Hunt strat.
I also did Lip Up Fatty 1:10.2 on my own.

failurewarning

Future Perfect!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »
So you did all that and you never once watched a video, I find that hard to believe.

I also have proof of when the current known strats for Big Game Hunt and Screw Loose were made public. I doubt that you "created" better strats for these as 1. You have never told anyone what you do and 2. you were not on the site when the original ideas came out.

Satisfaction

Future Perfect!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 04:41:00 pm »
Maybe it's hard to believe, but it's the truth.
I already told the Big Hunt strat on Rem's forum and I'll try to make a Screw Loose vid right now. ;)

Anemptybox

• twitch
Future Perfect!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 05:48:00 pm »
That Big Game Hunt strat is old Phoenix. I think I got 85 or something with it a long time ago.

Assassin22

Future Perfect!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 01:09:00 am »
Ok I have a quick question about auto aim. Anyways if autoaim is on does it make any difference? I just don't see any but my roomate says auto aim helps.

Anemptybox

• twitch
Future Perfect!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 01:44:00 am »
Auto aim does help.

Assassin22

Future Perfect!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 01:47:00 am »
Yes it does help, but it's doesn't really make that much of a difference in TSFP, compared to games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark

Anemptybox

• twitch
Future Perfect!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 01:48:00 am »
Yeah, but it's much harder to aim in GE/PD.

Faucheur

Future Perfect!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »
that makes a big difference when you play online, or when you are using weapons like the tactical 12 gauge.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
Future Perfect!
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 09:54:00 am »
hey there, is this game still active?

so I got TSFP for Gamecube, PAL.

Just in case I ever decide to speedrun it, I have some questions.

I read Tim's post and looks like PAL is disadvantaged here as well? bummer.. is this also like mk64, a rate of 1.2024 or something like that?

Wikipedia says it was published for PS2, Gamecube and Xbox. Are there any important differences, mainly important for speedrunning? Which version has the advantage for what in terms of getting a faster time?

How are things ranked and where can I find these? anything I should know about being ranked?

So far I've only played maybe 5 minutes if that to test the game. I didn't change any settings, so I'm assuming gameplay can be improved, but it was pretty awkward to play with the gamecube controller and how it was set up. or maybe it just really needs getting used to, coming from the awesomeness that is N64?

Also I was a bit surprised at how it just started some level, I don't think I chose any level.

Anything else that might be useful to know, please direct me to the best sources.
sexy, this

TFitzy

• <3 Carla Ossa
Future Perfect!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 02:15:00 am »
There's differences between playing in 50hz and 60hz as well.
Can't really remember much else....haven't played this for ages.

Anemptybox

• twitch
Future Perfect!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:00 am »
Answer to your first question: No.

These are just some things in general I remember:

- When playing story mode levels you can't just restart if you think it's going bad: you have to quit or the timer won't reset to zero.

- You can "speech skip" on GC, not on PS2 or Xbox. This can be used on "You Take the High Road" and the "U-Genius U-Genix" level.

- Veichles are faster on PAL/50HZ. This shows best on "Machine Wars" when you drive the tank.

- Scotland the Brave is faster on NTSC/60HZ for some reason. You drive a car in it but it doesn't matter because it's aprox maybe 4 seconds faster on 60HZ. Oh, and I think "Future Perfect" also is faster on 60HZ.

- On some levels, it can be very useful to restart from checkpoint when you see the message appear (btw, the timer doesn't run in pause mode). For example, this is useful in the elevator on Scotland the Brave.

- Cat Racing is much easier on NTSC/60HZ because the cat is more steady. Also, it's even easier on GC if I remember well.

- You can throw mines and bricks further on NTSC/60HZ. This is helpful on "Avec Le Brique" (duh) and also Arcade League levels like "Lip Up Fatty" and "Sock It to Them". The only thing about throwing stuff that makes it wors for NTSC players, is the challenge "Cortez Can't Jump"; it's a lot easier on PAL.

-Spawn points are random on PS2, not GC and Xbox.

Just some basic stuff I remember.

The rankings are no longer online because of virus attacks and stuff (see my topic about it: "NGC-elites/scopinfo..). You can find a lot of runs on YouTube. If you want to know more abut a certain story level, just ask. The best person to talk to is Satisfaction/ElitePhoenix. He should know and remember most stuff, though he doesn't seem to be on here much anymore. If you want to know anything about the arcade leagues or challenges, just ask on this forum.

Useful sites:

http://speedrunwiki.com/T...Splitters:_Future_Perfect

http://timesplitters.wikia.com/wiki/World_Records (this site seems to have a list of the WR's, however, not all of them are correct I think)

www.youtube.com

Hm, there isn't much more I can think of ATM. Well, this forum is probably somewhat useful.

Also, I don't know how the controls feel on GC. I assume you'll get used to it since it's not much like playing GE or something. PS2 is easily the best for TS and FPS in general, IMO.

I recommend you enjoy the game and get a good feel for it first: get 100%, all platinum trophys and then start speed running. It's a very funny and addictive game, though you should get your hands on TS2 if you don't already own it. It's more challenging and much more suited for competition in general. TS1 is also awesome. : )

Well, gtg to school now.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
Future Perfect!
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 06:38:00 am »
Thanks for all the info!

is "Ace" on the outdated WR list the Ace we know from GE/PD?
sexy, this

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
Future Perfect!
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 07:00:00 am »
No. Ace is also the alias of Stefan Persson.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret