Author Topic: GoldenEye 007 Tutorials  (Read 53303 times)

TheFlash

Re: GoldenEye 007 Tutorials
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 03:46:13 pm »
I'm not sure how hard it is to create, but something just like the main rankings would be ideal. Video links to each level difficulty and set out just like the main page.

Just get a page or a chart or something up somewhere with the vid tutorials linked and go from there.

http://speedrunwiki.com/GoldenEye_007#Strategies_and_Tutorials

Here's a head start.  Someone should verify that the times I filled in are the best time you're likely to get with the indicated strat.  That way when a strat gets outdated it's easy to spot.  Putting just "WR Strat" isn't helpful because you don't know if it is still the WR strat.

Content is the most important part of this. The "look" and "style" of the content is not important.  If you really like a certain page, you can use the mediawiki API to retrieve the content and place it on your own page, with the look/style of that separate page.

If anything the players will make their own strategy guide and tutorials page, completely separate from srw.

I'm just trying to provide assistance in getting this information out there.  These types of things really are best suited for a wiki format because everyone can edit it.  Forum topics are inconvenient because the OP sometimes takes a nap for 6 months and suddenly the whole thing is out of date (take this topic's first post, for example).  A separate webpage is cool, until the owner takes it down, stops updating it, etc.

Most of the complaints here so far have been because of content issues, not usability.  Content is the community's responsibility.  If you see a wall of text that is 8 years out of date and totally irrel, delete it. We'll all thank you.  I can't delete or even edit anything because I don't know jack about the game.  Once again, if you have suggestions for things that are *not* just "the content sucks," please talk to me and I'll work with you to get something better in place.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:53:10 pm by TheFlash »

Mavalock

• World's most active TWINE TASer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 04:29:51 pm »
How about we just wipe SRW clean and start over?  That way we get rid of all the old useless stuff (WR strats from 2006, bios that nobody cares about anymore, 1000 blank pages on other games that nobody will ever use since a good number of speedrun communities have their own wikis anyway, etc.) and all the top players have a shiny, new place to put their collective knowledge?  Might as well change the name too, since "speedrunwiki" seems to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
~Mavalock (aka Mg)

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 04:45:14 pm »
nice thought but the way the site is the same people tend to bring the same issues/problems and the cycle just repeats.  Too many people can edit everything and often will basically undo whatever you've done and sometimes make it worse than it was.  (this happened a lot over that site's timeframe)

edit--welp just looked at melee, out of date doesn't even describe it

I have to edit this out of OCD :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:10:44 pm by wheatrich »

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2014, 05:17:30 pm »
I vote in favour of wiping SRW and changing its name.

Leave Cowen Hames' article for historical purposes.

Honestly SRW would be AMAZING if it transfered to being a wiki about all the speedrun streamers, marathon events, etc.  But this will NEVER happen so long as Ngamer, Sam Hughes and Expert are still involved.

Thingy, if you could somehow wipe SRW completely, change the front page talking about what SRW is about, etc, then maybe we'd have something worthwhile.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

TheFlash

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2014, 06:37:38 pm »
Blindly deleting everything isn't a great idea but if you see a page with things that are clearly wrong just hop in and delete or edit away.  Wheat's been making some great contributions so far here.  It's a lot easier to just wipe/reorganize/rewrite stuff within a general framework than recreate all the pages from scratch again.

Honestly SRW would be AMAZING if it transfered to being a wiki about all the speedrun streamers, marathon events, etc.  But this will NEVER happen so long as Ngamer, Sam Hughes and Expert are still involved.

Do it! Who are they to stop you? It's a wiki.  If there is a specific page you really want to edit that is locked, let me know and I'll do whatever it takes to get you access.

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2014, 06:40:55 pm »
It needs an entire revamp in order to gain credibility among outsiders who will start writing pages for twitch streamers, GDQs, famous runs and races, etc.

I don't have access to edit the Main Page for instance.

My username is White Goose.  If you could give me admin access that would be great.

TheFlash

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2014, 06:42:36 pm »
It needs an entire revamp in order to gain credibility among outsiders who will start writing pages for twitch streamers, GDQs, famous runs and races, etc.

Yes you totally have the right idea.  When you add a page about a speedrunner, make sure to add the People category tag.  We already have a pretty big collection of these (http://speedrunwiki.com/Category:People)

I will see about getting you access to edit the main page.

It looks to me like the GE page has a horribly outdated section on "Full runs," maybe someone here can rewrite that one. I don't know enough about it to do it myself.

ExpertGamer64

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2014, 07:02:29 pm »
Honestly SRW would be AMAZING if it transfered to being a wiki about all the speedrun streamers, marathon events, etc.  But this will NEVER happen so long as Ngamer, Sam Hughes and Expert are still involved.

You tend to bring me up about such the wrong things, it's starting to get entertaining as if I'm always on your mind.

My vote is to start a brand new wiki run by and edited by the top contributors and top GE players. I stand by my ideas which others have agreed upon in this topic and would consider helping in any means I can. Clearly my skill of gameplay is not of the highest caliber but I'd be willing to write up tutorials of each video that is presented in my spare time.

TheFlash

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2014, 07:11:07 pm »
Goose: You can now edit the main page.

Expert: Why create a new wiki when we already have 1,500 pages that have generated 10 million page views right here?  Most of the pages on the new one would have the same titles as the ones here.  Just replace the content.

How about we just wipe SRW clean and start over?  That way we get rid of all the old useless stuff (WR strats from 2006, bios that nobody cares about anymore, 1000 blank pages on other games that nobody will ever use since a good number of speedrun communities have their own wikis anyway, etc.) and all the top players have a shiny, new place to put their collective knowledge?  Might as well change the name too, since "speedrunwiki" seems to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

If you find something old and useless, delete it or replace it.

If there is a page about a game no one will ever use, replace the content with a short description of the better resource and a link to it.  This is exactly the same as starting a brand new wiki, except you have the advantage that the pages are already created and you can keep good content.

Edit: Also got the skin updated to a slightly more modern look.  Anyone have a better logo image to contribute?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:28:11 pm by TheFlash »

Wody

• Pro Grinder
    • Lockwood
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2014, 07:28:07 pm »
Nice teamwork. Something productive being done :) thingy honestly tries hard to communicate and work with the players btw.
" WASSUP WASSUP!! "  

"Mod Madcapellan: good to hear clemens finally come clean"

Lockwood

ExpertGamer64

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2014, 07:44:36 pm »
Does the logo contain the "N" in the background simply for N64? Will SRW only be used for that or can we go the route of introducing games for other systems? Some players stream PC games, SNES, and more. I can try to come up with a logo.

I didn't mean a brand new ".com". I meant starting fresh and allowing the top players/contributors for each game to have access to formatting and changing their specified game.

ExpertGamer64

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2014, 07:49:26 pm »
Also Flash, can we embed YouTube and Twitch videos for the tutorial pages? Each link brings you away from the site.

TheFlash

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2014, 07:53:01 pm »
I meant starting fresh and allowing the top players/contributors for each game to have access to formatting and changing their specified game.

They totally can do this right now.  If they really totally want to start over, just press edit, select all the text, delete it, and then start from scratch.  This is a lot harder than just modifying something in place though.

Also Flash, can we embed YouTube and Twitch videos for the tutorial pages? Each link brings you away from the site.

It's possible to set this up.  How about instead we make sure external links open in a new tab, for now?

ExpertGamer64

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2014, 07:54:33 pm »
New tab is good.

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2014, 07:55:59 pm »
The "N" behind SpeedRunWiki logo stands for "Ngamer."  Just another example of his megalomania.

Thanks for setting up my account to edit everything, Thingy.  Maybe I'll edit some articles on stream sometime.  I'm sure legions will find it very entertaining.

SRW SHOULD be about emulators, TASes, etc, it should be about everything remotely having to do with speedrunning.

ExpertGamer64

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »
The "N" behind SpeedRunWiki logo stands for "Ngamer."  Just another example of his megalomania.

This was my second thought. Not even kidding.

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2014, 08:02:58 pm »
I've decided that I am changing the entire paradigm of speedrunwiki to no longer be about "strats" which become outdated after 1 day, but about everything speedrunning.

How do you edit a page to redirect to another page?

ie: I want speedrunwiki.com/RWhiteGoose to redirect to Goose

ie: I want all variations of /speedrun /speedrunning /speed_run etc to redirect to /speedrun
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:32:13 pm by Daenerys Targaryen »

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2014, 11:20:40 pm »
SRW actually stands for Speedruns Ryan White :kappa:
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Adam Miller

• AKA SyntheticPerson
    • GE
    • PD
    • My Backloggery
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2014, 07:54:57 am »
Looking good so far. I think it would look better in black though (keeping a similar look to the rankings page).

When I get some time, I will trek through some of the topics and find miscellaneous tips / strats etc and put them into the IL sections. Formatting won't be great, but it will be in the right place for anybody who wants to tidy it up a little.
"If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life" - some guy

TheFlash

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2014, 02:58:15 pm »
I've decided that I am changing the entire paradigm of speedrunwiki to no longer be about "strats" which become outdated after 1 day, but about everything speedrunning.

How do you edit a page to redirect to another page?

ie: I want speedrunwiki.com/RWhiteGoose to redirect to Goose

ie: I want all variations of /speedrun /speedrunning /speed_run etc to redirect to /speedrun

Go to the page you want to make a redirect on. It will say this page does not exist. Pick Create in the top right.  Type in:
#REDIRECT [[pagename]]
Save.

Example:
http://speedrunwiki.com/w/index.php?title=RWhiteGoose&redirect=no
Click Edit to view the source of this page to see how it works.

Now if you try to go to that URL it will automatically redirect:
http://speedrunwiki.com/RWhiteGoose

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2014, 04:38:32 pm »
It's tilting me SO MUCH that the article is for "Speed_run" instead of "Speedrun"

"Speedrun" redirects to "Speed_run" and I don't know how to change it to go the other way.

Can we please redirect Speed_run to Speedrun, and paste all the info I put there to just Speedrun?  I don't know how to fix a page which is redirecting the wrong way.

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »
I'm sure you know this and it's just a product of working on it atm, but main page of srw needs links so visitors can go somewhere.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2014, 01:40:14 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gWHT4alKgA

Runway 00a tute for pro's only.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

Adam Miller

• AKA SyntheticPerson
    • GE
    • PD
    • My Backloggery
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2014, 03:47:03 am »
Pros is an understatement. Runway 00a is for Gods only.
"If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life" - some guy

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »
So........... when's the Caverns Agent tutorial 101/2 coming out?  :kappa:
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2014, 09:53:22 pm »
tonight brah, sorry been busy + lazy
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

--

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:08 am »
Streets SA/00A Tutorial

http://youtu.be/K-FmadvtcBs

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2014, 04:35:59 pm »
I'm wondering if any top players would (at their convenience) be able to make a Caverns 00 tutorial. I know that when I get to the level I'll be able to ask questions in Mumble and such, I just think a tutorial might be something good to study while I'm working on other levels, so I can come into it fresh when my jap cart arrives in a few weeks. I'm sure a bunch of people would be interested in it as well as myself.  :p Just thought I'd ask and put it out there.

spec BFR player

• what up
    • Spec
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2014, 02:22:20 am »
I was having inconsistency on Dam's gate speed and asked Wodahs about it as he was cutting stream, and he gave a very good explanation about pretty much the entire route.
Then I checked goose's agent tutorial and he explains that there too, had never watched the highlight.
This could be useful (was for me), at least until someone makes a complete Dam tutorial. (to edit the OP, don't know if it's possible here)

@10:07:27 http://www.twitch.tv/wodahsr/b/549496548
@1:46 http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose/c/2962621
Speedrun Times
Chat highlights not embed so that forums don't get clogged:
http://i.imgur.com/HPNYJKM.png
http://i.imgur.com/jDB72Q1.png

"Part of what makes a shitpost good is that it contains Truth."

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »
Regarding Dam Agent there was something that I have over looked after the lock shot which may help other players and should be included in any tutorial.

Basically I was not sure how Justin's 53 was 53 since the start was pretty sloppy (lost a couple .1's here and there) and was pretty much an entire boost behind Dan Cervone's run to the lock shot. However it seems like Justin's way of doing the ending saved a huge amount of real time due to lag reduction probably an entire boost's worth.

Basically by going to the railing as soon as it starts (maybe switch to unarmed) and using lots of look up it can save some tenths probably due to lag reduction. This went against my intuition since taking the shortest distance seemed natural to me and the lag didn't seem to be an issue.

Anyways this may be old news but that all seems like important info for such a tutorial.
Daniel Wodahs-Relklaw Coelho

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2014, 06:19:20 pm »
yeah I always just assumed this method was considered "tight" but it must be purely lag reduction now that I come to think of it... I do it on my 53 no boost and 53 PAL too
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2014, 11:05:23 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcFxJB0AtIE

Dam 53 tutorial.

A quick overview of lines, lag reduction, gate manipulation and the lockshot.

Should be helpful for those going for 53, in addition to just watching the vids.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2014, 09:41:41 am »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2014, 10:10:08 am »

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2014, 10:34:37 am »
well

it's time to get out the 2nd controller

first row here i come
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:37 am »
DegenClef vs MirrorMuff, I'm really hyped for this race!

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2014, 04:52:25 pm »
I made some more easy WR "tutorials"

Archives Agent 16  http://youtu.be/Do5U2PCEruE

and Bunker 1 Agent 17  http://youtu.be/ZV4vnayTpKg

the archives is longer than it may need be, but it should be helpful for those learning the level from scratch etc.

Rigger in Chief

• SC Host
    • Austin Perroux
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016CommunityContributor
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2014, 06:48:22 pm »
Awesome idea Goose. Definitely will be useful in the future for new speedrunners like me  ;)
Rigging Contests One Round at a Time

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2014, 10:57:54 pm »
what was goose's idea? wot
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2014, 11:44:38 pm »
I think he meant the topic, Luke.  :v

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2014, 11:48:36 pm »
I think I would like to do some tutorials soon. Make a 37 runway ooa easy strat tutorial and redo the OOA 35 tutorial. Also might make cradle SA/OOA tutorial cause these levels are underplayed.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

Taylor

• TaylorTotFTW
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2014, 02:01:20 am »
As a new player who is hungry for both points and general GE knowledge, I think it would be awesome to see more tutorials by top players. I think the lack of easily located tutorials and useful info is a pretty big problem, especially for new players (who, I understand, you are not necessarily catering to. But still). If SpeedRunsWiki has the most recent and thorough archived explanation on how to get the time I'm going for, there is clearly a problem. I love the tutorials I've been seeing recently (I got Dam 53 within 24 hours of wodah putting out the tutorial. coincidence? probably.) and greatly encourage you all to continue. I think it's one of the best things you could be doing for the community right now. I wouldn't want some other poor soul besides myself putting 100+ hours into B1 A only to discover that the SRW article never covered the pause trick  :nesquik:

Aztec Exemplar

• Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2014, 02:49:07 am »
Tutorial for every level:

go fast

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2014, 03:02:20 am »
Mirror plz, you forgot the most important thing, low lag  :kappa:

Aztec Exemplar

• Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2014, 03:08:43 am »
low lag and boosts + speed

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2014, 04:16:52 am »

hotshott

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2014, 09:04:55 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jyveay8pXA&list=UUF4kVTFJF_DWUYOtiImY82Q

Caverns Agent Tutorial (focusing on 1:01 strats)

bal·us·trade
baləˈstrād
noun
a railing supported by balusters, especially an ornamental parapet on a balcony, bridge, or terrace.

great tutorial
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:16:07 pm by hotshott »

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2014, 11:05:45 pm »
lol!

you know it
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2014, 03:23:05 am »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

ManceGaydar

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »
Facility Agent Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssOL4oScoQ&feature=youtu.be

This is awesome man. I wish these kind of tutorials existed when I was still playing, cos I always struggled with the minor details of which strafe to be in etc. Very useful for everyone except Ace (The only non irrel in the world).
antibieber