Author Topic: Post New WR Discussion Here!  (Read 1843 times)

The man who trolled and lost everything

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
Post New WR Discussion Here!
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:09:28 AM »
Any time someone gets a new WR, they should post it in the "Post New WR's Here!" thread.  This is an elite tradition of sorts, and it's really cool to have a thread which you have to EARN the right to post in.  Only WRs are allowed to be posted in the WR thread, so to comment on any recent WR, use this thread instead! :)
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

MetalYoshi

• twitch
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Post New WR Discussion Here!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:49 PM »
I take it you're not acknowledging Virtual Console for IL Speed Golf records, are you  :( ?
You might be getting better, but nobody cheats like Waluigi!  Got that?

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:50:21 PM »
they're on the speedrun.com rankings so sure! Any time you get a new Speed Golf WR feel free to post it in the WR topic.

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:11:31 AM »
If VC counts for Speed Golf (Trust me, I have my reasons for sticking with it strictly for Speed Golf),

Hey MetalYoshi, what are some of these reasons?  I'm genuinely curious.  I've been considering getting a Mario Golf .WAD file and trying it myself.  Are there any noteworthy differences?

I'm totally cool atm with the two sets of IL times as we have now on speedrun.com so I don't want to take anything away from you (except maybe some of your VC WRs ;)) but I'm just wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages.

MetalYoshi

• twitch
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »
I run a YouTube Channel and so I try to make the highest quality videos possible.  The Virtual Console version is far and away the best-looking and fastest version (for screen transitions), so when I record Speed Golf via that platform, it creates the more entertaining video.  People like the boom-boom-boom one after the other sort of gameplay and don't want to see things "load" or watch cutscenes, etc.

That's the impression that I get from my Analytics data, anyway.  Since as DeathBasket pointed out in another topic, the Speed Golf time is merely a frame counter that fluctuates with the speed of the game, it should not make a difference when played via Virtual Console.

My Nintendo 64 that I have with the Mario Golf cartridge I have are each over 15 years old and are not as reliable as they used to be, and I have a CRT TV that is big and blurry and I would never want to use it again.  At the minimum, I'd want to track down S-video cables so that recording N64 doesn't look like crap.

The list goes on (living in close quarters where excess noise isn't appreciated, random hours at work, questionable computer power to stream, time investment for more ambitious tiers), but I simply want to produce the highest quality videos I can while respecting the integrity of the game. 

If I EVER have an opportunity to get a satisfactory streaming rig going, I will use the N64 and perhaps get involved in some races.

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 01:22:11 AM »
Alright I understand.  I too am trying to making to make my Youtube channel better and monetize it in the near future.  This is why I've started to put some (minimal) effort in editing and commentating my runs.  I don't really think that the quality between VC/N64 is a factor in views on Youtube, (rather people will watch exciting videos hyped up with epic WR moments regardless of which console it's captured on) but you have the analytics, so roll with it.

Like I say it's not a huge deal atm because of the way we have the leaderboards separated.  I'd like to try VC and see how it feels.  I think you could get a comparison but it'd be tough.  Keep loading up Speed Golf until you no wind on TH 1 and the same hole location, play out the hole the exact same way on both versions and see if there's a difference.  Just seems overly onerous and time consuming.

The thing I see is that, for example, on Yoshi Island 5, the hole is very laggy.  You cannot press A right away as soon as the swing counter opens up.  You have to wait a few frames.  I believe on VC, with less lag, you might be able to start the swing counter sooner.  Instances like this, if I'm right, would prove that VC saves time.  But again these are just baseless accusations until I test it myself.

MetalYoshi

• twitch
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 02:40:10 AM »
I'm not even bothering to monetize my channel.  There's too much gray area on the subject, especially when dealing with Nintendo (that and I'm not popular enough to matter, real-life priorities, etc).

Anyway:

How do you know you can't press A immediately on Yoshi's Island 5?  The hole is pretty laggy, but nothing prevented me from starting the swing immediately, either on N64 or VC.  The rendering of each shot (and transitions in general) is indeed faster on VC, but not by as much as you would think.  The timer also slows down when the game is lagging (and speeds up when holding Z while the ball is rolling), so it doesn't seem to matter regardless.  I'm not denying at all that VC is absolutely faster in real time.

I'm honestly trying to remember if you can even start hole 1 in Speed Golf with no wind.  I've been playing Koopa Park for the last two weeks and I've never started the first hole without wind.  It has happened on the other 17 holes.  I wish you luck in attempting a comprehensive input comparison test.  If anything, there's probably more variation as a result of the system itself and what you perceive through the latency of your television, statistical significance be damned.

Come to think of it, don't many speed runners inherently choose the fastest system regardless?  What about people that speedrun a game like Metroid Prime?  You could do it via GameCube, the GameCube disk running in a white Wii console, via Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii, or even now as a download for Wii U (which could vary depending on whether it loads from flash memory or external hard disk).

All of this super serious talk about the "metaphysics" of the game aside, I want to take this thread back to its intended route and say:
Congratulations on your new Yoshi's Island WR!  Even without the chip-in, the overall route and shot-making is absolutely outstanding.  I would have never imagined that sub-7 would be possible, seeing that Yoshi's Island is a very steep climb in difficulty above Shy Guy Desert.  I'll make more specific comments when I watch it again.

Cyberwrath87

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
Goose, that was an insane stream highlight of your back-to-back Toad Highlands WR runs. Wish I got to see it live. I actually took the time to enter your 6:18.40 and 6:17.03 splits for all 18 holes in Excel and if you take your best hole from either of those runs and add them up, you get a total of 5:57.69, which is just ridiculous. Granted, that Ace on Hole 6 helped a bunch. I'd have to rewatch Hole 12 to remember what happened there, but that hole was the biggest difference between your two WR runs at 7.13 seconds slower in the 6:17.03. But then you gained another 7 seconds back in your 6:17.03 run on holes 16 and 17. Keep in mind that both these runs had a mediocre Hole 17, so the potential for big improvement is huge.

Looking forward to seeing the low 6's and eventually a sub-6. Your two WR runs prove that it's possible

wheatrich

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 07:10:18 PM »
Think the first one he eagled one of the fours going straight in the cup.  [retty much the reason for that pr.

17 he par'd on both runs I think (certainly the first one) so there's what six or so seconds of possible improvement on top of that.  -25 on speed golf for toad's is just absurd to me.  Like if I intentionally saved and quit and only went on when I felt was best I wouldn't do much better without having no life for awhile.

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 11:23:01 PM »
Thanks cyber!  Cool that you tracked the sum of best of both runs.  Sub 6 would just be so insane... maybe more than a 100 hour grind.  But it'd be so awesome to go for.

17 was bad both times.  It's a par three and should be 15 seconds.  Dunno why I went 25 and 21.  Even 17 seconds would have been so much better.  I think the variance on Hole 12 was that on one round I played it insanely well in like 21 seconds, and on the other run it was a more average par 5 at 27ish seconds.  Something like all 21 second par 4s, 14 second par 3s and 24 second par 5s would be enough for sub 6.  Just an insane quest though.

and nary wheat.  The slam dunk eagle was on Hole 5 of Koopa Park on an All Courses run earlier that night.  My first slam dunk in wayyyyyyyyy too long.  At least since I restarted playing this year.

• Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 11:03:18 PM »
epic run Vitor.  Beats my 6'42 which was probably my best run from the 2011 and earlier era.

MetalYoshi

• twitch
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 02:18:34 AM »
So Victor just got this and it makes me cry.
http://www.twitch.tv/vtor67/c/6202932

Like, I just want to quit and move to the Red Sea and become a fisherman kind of quit.  He's a god-damn genius and a brilliant man.  There might not be a better round than this, ever.

Victor

• twitch
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »
Thanks for the kind words metal yoshi (and goose from my shy guy run)  :) I didn't realize there was a separate discussion thread for world records... Sorry I didn't respond to you earlier!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:00:46 PM by Victor »

Stoxenbawns

• Eric Bond
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 11:40:57 PM »
Congrats on the WR Jimb-wait...
Eric B

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 12:14:33 AM »
Victor I really enjoyed that Toad Highlands 6:05 run, that was awesome!

Koch

• Ryan Koch
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 01:15:50 AM »
Jimbo should be banned for 24hrs iirc :kappa: