Author Topic: Game information, facts, mechanics  (Read 789 times)

DeathBasket

• twitch
Game information, facts, mechanics
« on: January 31, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
I'll update this over time but I'll probably end up moving or copying the content somewhere else to make it more organised and readable than a forum post. Eventually I will try and add images and whatnot and turn this into more of an overall guide, which I hope can turn out to be pretty extensive.

General

• Frame Rate: 30fps
  • Resolution: 256*224 (N64's low resolution)
  • Released: 1999-06-11 (JP), 1999-07-30 (US), 1999-09-14 (EU)

Version differences

• JP version does not contain Metal Mario and the character select also looks different because of this.
  • JP version does not leave a marker at the point you set your power on the power bar.
  • JP version does not display the N64 logo on power on.
  • JP version uses a different font for the wind speed text.
  • JP version has a different looking options menu.
  • JP version uses slightly different camera angles in some places.
  • PAL and JP versions measure putt distances in metres and wind speed in metres per second, as opposed to feet and miles per hour that are used in the US version. Putter strengths are 10m, 30m, and 60m compared to 30ft, 100ft, and 200ft.
  • PAL version runs at 50Hz and the increments on the power bar are in slightly different positions than the NTSC versions.
  • PAL version has different music during the opening sequence.

Game Mechanics (will detail more later)

• Set up shots by adjusting aim, power, and impact. Power meter is frame perfect and impact point on the ball can be very precisely controlled with the joystick. More powerful characters generally have a smaller frame window to strike the ball without duffing it and can often be limited to a single frame when playing from a bad lie. Being frames early or late with the accuracy bar/impact meter timing will change both the trajectory and spin of a shot.
  • Each club a character can use has its own set of stats including distance, shot angle, and spin strength. These usually follow a pattern such as increasing draw/fade and decreasing height as the maximum power of the club increases. I will set up a program soon to get these numbers from the game itself so that we have a properly documented list.
  • The player starts with 6 power shots on a round of 18 or 3 power shots on a round of 9 holes. Power shots are conserved if hit perfectly (maximum power and perfect impact) so that in theory an infinite number of them can be used if desired. The distance a power shot will travel is 10% (rounded down) further than the equivalent normal club. ex. Metal Mario's 1W power shot is 285y + 28y = 313y. Power shots will also have increased height and draw/fade compared to normal shots.
  • Each hole played has four random factors: wind direction, wind speed, weather, and hole location.
  • PAL and JP versions allow wind speeds of 0m/s to 9m/s while the US version allows 0mph to 21mph. A quirk of the US version, however, is that 1mph or 2mph wind speeds can only exist in training mode due to the way this is calculated. In addition to this, a wind speed of zero is always recalculated on the first hole of a course so that there is at least 1m/s or 3mph wind, and there will also never be rain on the first hole. I'll probably get up a picture of the game's code to show this with annotations later on.
  • The chance of there being rain on any given hole (except hole 1 as said above) is 1/4. This applies to every course except Shy Guy Desert, where the chance of rain is 1/16. As a fun note, the most rain I've seen was 7 holes in a row, a chance of 1/16384.
  • There are (I think) four defined positions for the pin to be located on each hole. A random one is picked from these for each hole played.
  • The RNG is updating only at certain points while the game is running: during the opening sequence, approximately once per second on the play modes screen, every time a different course is selected on the course select screen, and every frame while in normal play. This can actually be exploited by resetting the console and attempting to time inputs correctly in certain places to get consistent wind patterns on the first hole of a course. There's also a little more that can be done, such as changing the hole location, but I need to do a little more research on how this works. Beyond the first hole of a course though I would say RNG manipulation is only possible for a TAS.

todo: effects of lies, wind, rain on shots; ground types; club types; lag info; camera info; specific course/hole info... etc.

I'll leave it at this for now but I'll probably be doing some more research and documentation of useful stuff within the next few days so I will certainly be adding more. There's so much to detail that this is more of an initial information dump and I'll write it up and lay it out much better somewhere I have more control over it. I'd prefer a format something like a wiki page (multiple pages really).
If anyone wants me to try and look up anything specific about the game to add to this, post it and I'll see what I can do.

The man who trolled and lost everything

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
Re: Game information, facts, mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »
Amazing information.  I think Vtor was saying last night you can never get 0 wind on Hole 1.  Just something I'd never thought about.

Is the chance of rain really the same on Yoshi Island as the others?  I always figured Yoshi Island was a little more.  1/4 wind seems interesting.

What play mode did you test these on?  Vtor's recent 1:01 was on Stroke mode and he anecdotally said he felt he had better RNG there.  Maybe different modes have different chances?

The game is fucking INSANE, let me reiterate a small list of everything going on per hole:

- RANDOM wind direction
- RANDOM wind speed
- RANDOM (1/4) chance of rain
- RANDON (1/4) hole location
- Thirteen clubs to choose from, with 2 modes each (26 total club choices PER SHOT!) (and 14 characters*26 shots = 364 club selections)
- Practically an infinite amount of IMPACT POINTS on the ball. (a TASer could figure this out but it's in the tens of thousands)
- Practically an infinite amount of angles of aim (again, TASer could confirm it's in the tens of thousands)
- To hit the shot you want to hit, you need to hit the accuracy and power bar WITH FRAME PERFECTION! EVERY SHOT!
- Roughly 50-60 shots per course, an All Courses run has ~330 shots (which again need to be frame perfect... TWICE!!  ~650 frame perfect tricks per run!)

This might be the most technical speed game in all of speedrunning.  Every single shot you have to analyze all of the random factors the game throws at you, make a decision from 26 choices of clubs, with an infinite amount of angles and impact points, and THEN you need to hit two frame perfect tricks.  Now do this more than 300 times in an hour.  LOL!

Mario Golf GOAT
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Victor

• twitch
Re: Game information, facts, mechanics
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:10:20 PM »
Something to add onto the rain RNG: I believe different courses have different chances for rain.  I feel like I get rain significantly less on Shy Guy Desert than Koopa Park or Mario Star. 

EDIT: I'm dumb. I didn't read deathbasket's/goose's posts properly. But I agree that other than shy guy, the other courses have a similar chance of rain.

I'm still torn on whether stroke mode has better RNG.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:28:38 PM by Victor »