Author Topic: Random: What if the Manual Spin mechanics from Toadstool Tour were in this game?  (Read 767 times)

MetalYoshi

• twitch
    • YouTube Channel
This is not directly a Mario Golf speedrunning topic, but it came to me as a random thought and it might be fun as a side discussion.

(Skip this paragraph or two if you are familiar with Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour or any subsequent Mario Golf games)  That said, I'll explain what I mean by the Manual Spin mechanics.  In the GameCube sequel - Toadstool Tour - the swing controls were slightly altered.  For beginners, you could simply end your input at your desired power level with the A button, and the game randomly selects the Impact timing within a blue bar that's independent of the red Impact zone.  The pros can use a Manual input system wherein after starting the swing, the distance timing is selected with the B button and then the cursor moves back like it does in the N64 game, and it is up to the player to time the cursor within the red Impact zone.

The other huge advantage of the Manual swing, besides ensuring more control over the trajectory of your shot, is the ability to add Topspin or Backspin.  For the second part of the swing, you can press A twice rapidly for Topspin, which adds several yards of roll to any shot; or press B twice rapidly for Backspin, which can reduce roll or even cause the ball to roll back toward you after a couple yards.  Inputs of AB and BA create stronger versions of these effects respectively.

Ultimately, my thought is: how would playing and speedrunning this game change if we were able to use (Super) Topspin or (Super) Backspin?  Topspin could be used to add a few precious yards to drives (at a slight time expense), enable Rough-clipping strats for tight Greens, and treat Approaches like putts.  Backspin would be amazing for Mario's Star to land and stop the ball quickly on the all-too-small front-to-back Greens; it could also stop drives more quickly if that's your cup of tea, but you'd lose 5 yards or so.

It would probably never happen, but I'd love to play a mod of the game with Toadstool Tour's Spin mechanics in tow.
You might be getting better, but nobody cheats like Waluigi!  Got that?

MetalYoshi

• twitch
    • YouTube Channel
Um...this is awkward.  I didn't realize that all of the courses were released as DLC for Mario Golf: World Tour.  I haven't even played the game, because I broke my 3DS a couple years back and have been holding out for the New 3DS.

Still, it would be wonderful to play it as a console/emulator experience in conjunction with a portable experience.
You might be getting better, but nobody cheats like Waluigi!  Got that?