Author Topic: PD Strategy Discussion Topic  (Read 16075 times)

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
PD Strategy Discussion Topic
« on: May 11, 2015, 10:55:50 pm »
I think with all the craziness going on in PD recently, it's time to make a topic dedicated to general strat discussion. I will briefly mention a few existing strats that haven't been executed on WR runs to kick things off on levels that haven't been touched in a while.

Def PA: Land directly on the floor that the programmer is on. You can do this while falling or using the beam for the assist (slightly slower), 1:18 should be pretty reasonable (a good goal for Illu for an untied sweep).

Invest SA: Clean execution of triple laser skip, sub 2 minutes would be nuts.

Skedar SA/PA: You can take out 2 pillars with 2 quick shots on final boss (when only 3 are left) after damaging each down to 1 shot first, should save 2-3 sec, can get WRs with 2nd best set.

Here's a strat suggestion for Icy to test out: Is there a way to do the end of Skedar PA faster? Maybe if we only take out SOME of the army and then finish them off later on during the final boss fight with the 3rd Dev shot?

EliminatorJr

• Bobandy
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: PD Strategy Discussion Topic
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:35:24 pm »
Here just to say I think Illu definitely needs to get Defection PA untied. Also my first forum post ever  :rollin:
No way, Mr. Lahey. I NEED a cheeseburger!

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:49:43 pm »
Def SA, I think you can wait a bit of the cinema to have the guard open the door at the bottom of the first staircase for you although I am not sure if this is consistent, it seems like he sometimes does it but I have no idea how to manipulate him to do it every time.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:55:10 pm by Maximilian Degen »
Daniel Wodahs-Relklaw Coelho

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch

Comet

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 01:58:30 am »
Has anyone tried warping the barrier on the ground floor of Extraction?
-Comet

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 03:50:03 am »
Yes i tried it alot 2-3 days ago. Gonna investigate it again today.

Red Bull

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 04:14:44 am »
I think knowing what helps to trigger the cinema in Escape can maybe save a few seconds. Maybe theres a way to get an instant cinema as well. I have tried figuring this out for ages, but never understood it properly.

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:27:46 am »
The medpack thing? Check the Facts topic, i answered it a couple of years ago.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 06:13:23 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the correct topic, but I'll go ahead:

After a tough day with an exam, I have decided to play a bit. I was playing Attack Ship PA with Enemy Rockets on just to have a captured cake-ish completion. I was using the Slayer when suddenly a glitch happened (lol, another glitch x_X. Wtf is happening with 2015?). Basically, once the rocket exploded, instead of being on the floor, I was on the wall for some reason, and I was able to walk a bit. I couldn't research a lot because I died, but who knows, this might have an use... I was in the Objective 4 room, so maybe this can be used to appear in the room before the last 2 lifts or something... I thought it would be interesting to research about it, because who knows, maybe taking the Slayer can be from now a faster route or something :S.

The video is being built and uploaded, and as soon as it's uploaded I'll link it to this topic.
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 06:16:55 pm »
That's an old glitch. I've messed with it a lot, but couldn't find anything useful.

Deep-Darkness

• DD, AKA The Ace Slayer
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 06:48:47 pm »
Oh, okay. I'll post the video anyway, but in the video topic maybe. I've been trying, and apparently an entire corridor is bugged: as soon as you shoot a secondary function rocket, you are on the walls and roof of the corridor, lol. I guess there are more places in the level where that happens, but have no idea, and have no idea of why particularly this one works...
It doesn't seem to have any speedrunning uses, though.
Let A be a pizza of radius z and height a. Its volume is V_A = pi·(z^2)·a = pizza.

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 12:47:02 am »
Here's another idea for Icy to test: Is there way to do the Maian SA beginning strat on PA? I know ammo count is an issue, but there is another guard way in the back to get more ammo. It probably won't save time, bust just making sure.

ZeroRBDash15

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 02:46:45 pm »
I have tested that slayer secondary fire glitch. Turns out some places you can shoot the guided rocket explode it a bit later and Joanna will be a bit off the ground and in the case of that hallway in question, you can end up above the ceiling. A few places where Joanna appears in the air is standing at the opening of the first elevator where you see Elvis and the opening of the end elevator you have to go to on PA to open the hangar doors.

I don't know if that can be used to discover some new strats of something but it is pretty strange. It even works on the XBLA version.
Representative of PDX. May it live on forever :P Keepo

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 11:23:29 pm »
Idea for Skedar PA army room:

IcySpeedruns: you could go out of your way to pick up a Slayer I suppose, but to even make up the time from that plus making it worthwhile also doesn't seem too promising
TheBigBossman007: hmm that's a legit idea though
TheBigBossman007: get the one after reopening stuck door
TheBigBossman007: that skedar can kill itself I think
TheBigBossman007: but not dying from flame could be a problem
TheBigBossman007: worth looking into

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 09:44:55 pm »
Here's a vid of a legit strat that could destroy the CI PA WR by 2-3 sec maybe.

Practice warp strat run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh2S_tcwmUk

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 10:32:02 pm »
You can do the warp without a Combat Boost, which might be better used elsewhere in the level.

Nice idea though! Makes sense that it would save time!

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 11:26:52 pm »
Yeah there's enough lag to do it real time. Current WR boost timing is probably viable.

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 01:58:43 am »
Nice idea but tbh, as i already try that strat, it's a freaking pain in the ass to try warping at this moment, lags are insane after you destroy the carrington thing. Again, the best strat for pa would be the warp i suggested before, the warp is easier and it's easier to deal with the lags at this moment while combat boost turn off.

nopy4869

• PD
    • twitch
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 11:30:55 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the correct topic, but I'll go ahead:

After a tough day with an exam, I have decided to play a bit. I was playing Attack Ship PA with Enemy Rockets on just to have a captured cake-ish completion. I was using the Slayer when suddenly a glitch happened (lol, another glitch x_X. Wtf is happening with 2015?). Basically, once the rocket exploded, instead of being on the floor, I was on the wall for some reason, and I was able to walk a bit. I couldn't research a lot because I died, but who knows, this might have an use... I was in the Objective 4 room, so maybe this can be used to appear in the room before the last 2 lifts or something... I thought it would be interesting to research about it, because who knows, maybe taking the Slayer can be from now a faster route or something :S.

The video is being built and uploaded, and as soon as it's uploaded I'll link it to this topic.

My little brother actually saw this like 4 months ago lol
I tried playing around with it a little to see if I could find anywhere else it happened but I wasn't able to. On a side note, the slayer is so broken in the missions that you have to use a gameshark to get it, even with All Guns In Solo.

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 01:19:04 am »
Here's what this new CI PA strat is capable of pace-wise if the hostages complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d4G4J05dUI

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 04:28:36 pm »
wow well done putting it working! I feel like the ending would be harder without combat boost, but you seems to do it pretty well. 1:33 or lower might be possible with this strat.

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 04:37:04 pm »
Admiral Bobbery comeback? :kappa:

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 06:47:51 pm »
The ending is like 50x harder without a combat boost. 132 is possible on a clean run if you do the end warp strat, but that's really risky given how very few runs you'll have leaving the firing range in 1 piece. Like today I had a few obj 2 completions but got mauled near or in firing range each time. It's the most troll PD strat at this point.

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 10:45:20 pm »
Admiral Bobbery comeback? :kappa:

I guess I might give it a try :kappa:

The ending is like 50x harder without a combat boost. 132 is possible on a clean run if you do the end warp strat, but that's really risky given how very few runs you'll have leaving the firing range in 1 piece. Like today I had a few obj 2 completions but got mauled near or in firing range each time. It's the most troll PD strat at this point.

Damn, yeah, staying alive for the last part of the level is pretty much in the hands of luck. If you add the fact that you doesn't have combat boost on now, that sound like hell. I wish you good luck on your attempts! I might give it a shot too soon, but I'm really rusty.

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »
For anyone that wants to learn the CI dev shots upstairs, see this vid for demo and brief description for each shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fShMmMbrM9c

• 50 Cent
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 09:09:45 pm »
For anyone that wants to learn the CI dev shots upstairs, see this vid for demo and brief description for each shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fShMmMbrM9c

Really good vid man 10/10!

Btw, I remember Matt Cook told me about another spot to shoot the alien thing in the Carrington office (for Obj 4 in PA). The spot never worked for me (it was at the very begining of the level), but I tried another one, where it worked like 1/100.. I don't know if some search can be made about it to make it more consistent or just find another place where you can shoot and save time. Here some spot that might be possible (where it worked 1/100 for me) (and the Matt one)

1st spot:

2nd spot:

Matt's one:

There is always the strat Trent used for XBLA PD, but i think the major problem is that you need an extra grenade to broke the outside window before the 2nd one hit the right spot. That might be the problem with the spots I pointed too, IDK.

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 10:47:57 pm »
It won't matter since your speed is fixed based on when obj 2 completes. Ideally you should have enough time to do obj 4 the normal way and get to the end in time.

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 10:42:09 pm »
Air Base laser clip strat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNk55N9BHPI

Not sure this is doable without invincible on, but you can get a shield from the guy right before the lift for extra health. Also you can hold full speed leaving the lift for more time saved. It might save 1 sec if done well! Icy probably already knows about this since he had a vid of a different clip.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:49:26 pm by Boss »

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 05:28:56 pm »
Yeah, i tried all of those extensively back when i was doing tests with 0 col radius, and it was never even close. Invincibility is a huge difference.

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 05:33:50 pm »
The trick Ace/Swiss use on G5 also works for the stairs on AB. It might make 114 easier but not sure how much it saves yet.

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 06:14:08 pm »
^ Henrik already fooled around with that :) It seems people were not interested to use it for 114 attempts (tiny warp but lose full speed, idk).

i tried the camspy thing on the rest of the levels too(G5 and Air Base) and the warp works on all stairs. Probably useless though(possibly useful for air base by the stair leading to Obj 2 console, but i dunno, you get up there pretty fast anyway, would need to be combined with a diffrent camspy strat).
http://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=15560

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:08 pm »
It saves time I'm pretty sure. I had a high 1:03 panel blowup with just a 34.1x drop, but got trolled by guards near panel that run.. also working on a potential better laser grid strat (no laser warping this time) that should make 1:13 possible.

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 10:24:02 pm »
I used it briefly when going for 1:14 but it didn't make a significant difference so I stopped using it. Those stairs are way shorter than the G5 ones.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 12:23:08 am »
I have the feeling losing full speed costs a lot more in PD. The stairs on air base only take half a sec to climb and I think you lose that in full speed. Even if you hit the computer faster (which you will) you're going to lose a few more tenths after that over the next few seconds. The computer is not a good TT to determine if it's faster.

G5 is obviously way better as the stairs  take longer than half a sec to climb and also there is a door you'll need to open so for that time you're not moving anyway.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

CEDRIC

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 02:38:22 am »
I remember the said that Taka is 0.3 save. Maybe had 3 1:14s Taka.

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »
1:13 is up for grabs for anyone that can pull this strat off on a urn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2YbQPsWk4Y

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 11:52:09 pm »
Lol its funny because when I was first learning the level I was unknowingly trying to hit that cycle and was getting mad thinking it was super hard/almost impossible. It seemed pretty tough with the lag and stuff but I can see it being done for a 1:13
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:27:04 pm by Completed using Control Style 1.2 »
Daniel Wodahs-Relklaw Coelho

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 07:15:06 am »
that looks insane
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 05:39:35 pm »
I'm pretty convinced it saves a little bit of time (at the very least it's more consistent than trying to do a tight strafe change on the stairs followed by another spin strafe change at the top.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 09:30:20 am »
A lot of people claim that Jap has better doors on Ruins, so since I had a chance to test it out at Flicker's, I did a sample of 20 runs per version. All were done on Agent with cheats, and I only hit each door once to make sure multi-hitting doors or anything like that doesn't interfere. After 20 runs on both English and Jap, I'm confident that there is no difference.

On Agent Ruins (at least), there are four doors that open perfectly every time: the locked door from the sacrifice, the first door of the two before the army, and the two doors towards the king. The door by the objective 2 bridge opens perfectly ~25% of the time, and jams very often (~45ish%). The lower door by the ramp opens perfectly about half the time and if not will usually opens slowly as opposed to jamming. The upper door by the ramp opens perfectly about a third of the time, and also tends to open slowly rather than jamming. The worst door is the second of the two into the army room, which opens perfectly about ~20% of the time and jams about ~40% of the time.

The doors on War definitely open differently compared to Ruins, as the ones that open perfectly all the time on Ruins don't on War, but I'm pretty confident that the different versions would have the same chances of them opening properly (I'm assuming this, I haven't tested). It would be very odd that a different version of NTSC would have the same doors be specifically better on an alternative level.

Once again, confirmation bias plagues the elite. :nesquik:

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2015, 05:07:40 pm »
Anybody know why in DLTK Skedars don't die in one hit with a simple head shot like everybody else in the game?

It's a simple matter of health vs. damage taken, varying by where you shoot, and also, the head is not the weakest point of the Skedar.
You'll notice in the sub 1:40 WAR! DLTK runs, we abuse shooting the first and second kings in the weakest point, which is the stem of the tail at the back of the head. Shooting the tail massively increases the damage, almost comparable to a headshot on a guard, but it still takes a few shots to kill a Skedar because they have massive natural health. For Attack Ship DLTK, you get very few opportunities to shoot the weak point on Skedar, and most of the AR34 ammo is wasted to "brute force" past the 3 Skedar before the starmaps. For Ruins DLTK, its easy to abuse the way Skedar shoot to avoid having to kill many at all.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2015, 10:41:15 pm »
Also technically speaking, a head shot isn't an instant kill in all cases, it just does massive damage (see: the double LX guard in SOS).

Quirky

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015, 05:42:29 am »
I recommend saving Attack Ship for last in DLTK, having the experience of beating the other levels on DLTK is a great asset for taking on the hardest DLTK level of the game. Ruins and WAR! aren't that hard though, I recommend watching Icy's wonderful tutorials. And remember LTK too, while it's definitely easier than DLTK, there are aspects in some levels that are harder in LTK and WAR! altogether IMO is harder on LTK.

Benobot99

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • Benobot99's Website
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 12:21:22 pm »
So I had a dream last night of a new way to any% complete PD, and it takes under a minute.

Just in case it's possible, I thought I'd post here in case someone pulls it off, so I can take credit for the idea, lol.

In my dream, on Defection on Agent, I died on the same frame that I completed the level, and then I wrong-warped to the credits.
Does anyone know what happens if someone were to do this? Would the level just complete normally and you would live? Would you just die and fail?
I finally earned Goldeneye points, wow.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 09:13:03 pm »
So I had a dream last night of a new way to any% complete PD, and it takes under a minute.

Just in case it's possible, I thought I'd post here in case someone pulls it off, so I can take credit for the idea, lol.

In my dream, on Defection on Agent, I died on the same frame that I completed the level, and then I wrong-warped to the credits.
Does anyone know what happens if someone were to do this? Would the level just complete normally and you would live? Would you just die and fail?

"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »
It would probably be a glitched any% category created if there's ever a way to wrong warp to the credits.

Illu

• Proven Champ 2007
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • my Perfect Dark times page
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »
lol pretty sure I had that once happen on 5 attempts where I thought I had a completion but the endscreen said I died

ZeroRBDash15

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2015, 11:09:53 pm »
Has anyone tried the SA open stairway strat for Extraction on PA? Today one of the insane PDX players managed to finally pull off an insane run and get a 1:15. With some insane strafing I see that being possible on the N64 version as well. Since the 1:18 SA record had a stuck I think and still, even if barely, made it. I think Clemens should go for it. With just one complete run it will make for an insane untied.

Here is the video
Representative of PDX. May it live on forever :P Keepo

Boss

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2016, 03:06:48 am »
Here's a vid showing that JAP is a little faster than NTSC for the beginning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT55_bYdSLU

I would probably still recommend PAL for this level, but I'll try to work out some stuff given how much 206 has been in the news lately.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2016, 10:00:14 am »
Wow, that's awesome! Surprised it was overlooked, but I suppose most people (myself included) would figure the Falcon would be too weak. I'm guessing for SA/PA you'd have to go for sick tail shots to make it feasible though.

It'd be super hype if you or someone else could fill in that 4s void! :v