Author Topic: Defection SA Modern Strat Guide  (Read 1327 times)

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
Defection SA Modern Strat Guide
« on: February 18, 2016, 01:08:41 pm »
Despite having been a very glitchy level, Defection SA remained stable throughout the years, until in May 2015 when the MBR madness was happening, people started experimenting with pipe. Spec discovered that it's possible to perform a Depot-esque warp, which allowed Green to get his first untied by 1 second with 0:30. Nearly immediately after, Henrik found that you can land on top of the pipe room ceiling out of bounds, AND that you can warp a specific spot at one of the staircases. The pair of these two strats had the level pushed down to 0:19, originally by Karl, later tied by Illu.

Anyone that's very familiar with the level can see the runs mechanically, but for the untrained eye, it just looks like a giant mess of glitches. Because of that, the level is still incredibly underplayed, allowing for very easy points to obtain, and some nice time cuts. It's also further made a joke out of the leaderboard than it already was, with Cedric in 2nd place at 282 points, and the bottom currently occupied by Green at 262 points. While I don't expect too many people to get nice times across all of the irrelevance that is Defection, Special Agent certainly requires a guide for the new strats. As tricky as the level can be, it has almost zero luck to it, and literally taking twice as long as the WR is a 70-pointer!

If you have not played Defection Agent, I strongly recommend getting 0:06 or at least 0:07 before attempting this level. If you need assistance, read here.

Onto the Pipe Room

Starting off, you can either use the double crouch door strat, or play out the cutscene and wait for the guard. Unlike Agent, a single second won't make or break you here, so I suggest double crouching onto the railing, then dropping onto the door. This allows you to skip the cutscene and not have to be super technical, all at the cost of only one second. If you're particularly talented, use the no-rail double crouch, and if you're particularly patient, wait out the cutscene and land on the door.

Approach the pipe and out of bounds as you would on Agent, but as soon as you leave the top of the door and walls, immediately strafe back towards the pipe and around it. Here's what's happening: the pipe room's ceiling can be landed on, and while you stand on it, you still have the room above loaded (where the internal comms hub is). By positioning yourself against the pipe correctly, you can load that area from above and throw an ECM Mine.

There are a lot of pitfalls to trying this though. First off, the little vented windows do not have solid ceilings, and landing on either one of them will get you stuck, unable to approach the pipe correctly. The next is when you re-enter the top of the room after stepping out of bounds, if you land inside the pipe, you'll be unable to move, and your run is over. You also cannot step too far away from the pipe, since with how tall Joanna is when standing, you'll be bumping your head into other unloaded areas, and loading them will make Joanna fall, which ruins the ceiling glitch. Finally, while you are trying to position yourself for the mine throw, you can see that the room with the hub has flashes of black, or seems to have a giant box moving into it. The former is because you're loading/unloading it, and you must be closer to the pipe to keep it loaded. The latter is that your view is looking into an area in front of the hub that is unloaded, and thus is a big black box blocking the way.

Now onto how to properly execute the trick. The easiest way is to step completely outside of the building and then quickly re-enter through the wall into the pipe room. The reason this works is because the angle required to get out and then go back in sets you up very nicely into position on top of the pipe room. More optimally as you can see on the faster runs, is to go into, out, and then circling around the pipe itself into position. Once you have a clear view of the hub, throw an ECM Mine and get ready for the next section.

Cassandra's Office

Going from the pipe room to Cass's office is not as simple as you might think, due to Joanna's head bumping into the unloaded floors above you. A parallel line (relative to the pipe room) to Cassandra's office is also too far off since it steps into the area where you fall off the ceiling. So, what you have to do is go into a single crouch, strafe right, and once you're passed the wall of the pipe room, uncrouch and keep going. You might get some unloaded room stucks, but you should consistently land in the office if you're performing everything right. You can do it without crouching, but your line has to be more precise and requires a bit trickier movement. Because we're dealing with multiple areas of loaded/unloaded messes, not to mention you're running around in a void, I strongly recommend playing with cheats at first and use the X-Ray Scanner or Farsight from the pipe room ceiling to give you a stronger visual idea of where to go. It will help immensely.

The Staircase Warp

You'll either land nicely in Cassandra's office, or inside the walls of a corner, from which you can wiggle and uncrouch through. Open the doors first, then KO Cass, since the doors open against you. From there, head to the staircase. This next area also involves a few tricks, but are much simpler in comparison. First is knowing an important mechanic of how staircase railings work. While they visually appear to be sloping down, they are actually large rectangular boxes that you can run along the top of. The easiest way to learn about this is to play with the pink U-shaped staircases in Villa. While the top of the railing can't be reached, the bottom of the railing has a slightly higher flat part which you can land on, and then also hop over the glass. If you fail this trick or are not good at it, you can simply shoot out the glass and drop down.

The next trick is warping through. One side of the window in the staircase room has a small gap which you can warp through. Specifically, this. Essentially, you want to align yourself into it and mash weapon swapping as fast as you can. If you're lucky, the guard shooting out the window glass will help by creating additional lag. Hi-Res also helps. Now, the warp itself is not very difficult, but the railing outside the building that you land on is about a single foot below you, meaning you need to immediately turn onto it, or stop completely. As someone with only average reaction time, I found this to be basically impossible, but if you try to predict when you'll warp through and use pause buffering to assist, it's significantly easier, though a bit slower.

From the railing, you perform the same ending as you would on Defection PA where you land on the computer, throw the mine, then run through the wall into the lift. For those unfamiliar, I recommend a lot of practice to develop a feel for it, because it's about a mid-distance away (can't hold speed, nor do a light movement) and there are no visual cues since you're falling into a void. For practice, perform the Defection Agent start, then land on the railing and play. It's very easy once you get used to it, plus you can use pause buffering to help.

Alternately, you can completely skip landing on the railing, aim yourself as close to the external hub as possible, and land in the room, running the end glitchlessly. This costs a ton of time (10-15s), but as the rankings are now, you can still get a lot of points this way.

Recommended Runs (Full Strat)
My 0:30 - I used very consistent strats throughout, the run gives a good visual of what's going on, and is currently worth 90 points. This is the best run to watch when you're learning the level.
Mouser's 0:26 - Relatively little pause buffering, so you can see the flow of the level much better.
Karl's and Illu's 0:19s - Essentially the same runs, but these show the level pushed to its fullest. Karl's has a better decimal, but Illu's has better video quality.

Recommended Runs (Partial Strat)
Axel's 0:36 - Skips the pipe room ceiling strat entirely, and uses a glitchless ending. This is a super beginner friendly run, and yet is worth 79 points currently.
Otto's 0:30 - Like Axel's run with skipping the pipe room ceiling, but lands on the railing. Currently worth 90 points.

0:18 and Below?

As it stands, 0:18 is definitely out there, but I doubt lower could be humanly achieved. Although the level is a ton of glitches, there aren't too many time savers not already used. The only ideas really are having the patrolling guard open the door to the staircase, who will usually get in your way and be annoying, and just tidying up some of the movements. Skipping over the building railing onto the computer would also be faster due to less time descending, but I don't believe such a jump is possible. Defection is held together by sticks and super glue though, so perhaps more glitches could be discovered.

Closing

The level looks terrible visually, and is severely underplayed, but mechanically is a thing of beauty and is nice to run because it's almost all skill and not luck. Certainly, glitchy levels are not for everyone, but if it's your cup of tea, there are a ton of points you can get very easily!

If you need any additional help or spot any errors, go and post!

Wyst3r

• Train Strat Master
    • Henrik
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: Defection SA Modern Strat Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 03:41:43 pm »
I think it's important to mention that you wanna stay crouched while doing the pipe warp glitching. So uncrouch just once, instead of twice. This way, you avoid most of the stucks.

Despite having been a very glitchy level, Defection SA remained stable throughout the years, until in May 2015 when the MBR madness was happening, people started experimenting with pipe. Spec discovered that it's possible to perform a Depot-esque warp, which allowed Green to get his first untied by 1 second with 0:30. Nearly immediately after, Henrik found that you can land on top of the pipe room ceiling out of bounds, AND that you can warp a specific spot at one of the staircases. The pair of these two strats had the level pushed down to 0:19, originally by Karl, later tied by Illu.

Correction: Landing on top of the pipe room ceiling was the original Def SA glitch strat, used in Sucram's 0:37 among others (2001-2002?). It was Karl who found the not-so-old version when he got 0:35. My discovery was that you can hit the ECM mine from that position.

For the pipe warp, i think Spec found the original warp from within the pipe, with me later suggesting the 0:30 strat, after discovering that the reverse warp was also possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2gctDfiZg
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:55:50 pm by Wyst3r »

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:15:56 pm »
As it stands, 0:18 is definitely out there, but I doubt lower could be humanly achieved. Although the level is a ton of glitches, there aren't too many time savers not already used. The only ideas really are having the patrolling guard open the door to the staircase, who will usually get in your way and be annoying, and just tidying up some of the movements. Skipping over the building railing onto the computer would also be faster due to less time descending, but I don't believe such a jump is possible. Defection is held together by sticks and super glue though, so perhaps more glitches could be discovered.

While talking about the level, Boss mentioned the idea of skipping the railing, and I decided to test it out for myself. A short time later, I came up with this run.

Of course, this doesn't prove that this would be faster, because I had to spend a long time pulling out the ECM mine while standing on the computer. But, I had proved the jump was possible. After a bit of retooling, I managed to start pulling out the mine before landing, but it still wasn't fast enough to decisively call it a faster strat. This strat was also very inconsistent, requiring an even faster reaction time than the normal landing on the railing strat, a tight turn along the side of the building, and successful blind positioning for the computer.

After a week on the shelf, I went back to the strat and got this run. I managed to pull the mine even earlier on this run, and completed both objectives 1 and 2, and had I not gotten stuck in the wall, the run was very clearly mid to low 20 pace or even possibly 19 (given a fast enough mine throw). I wasn't quite happy with this result though, as the run was potentially high 20 pace with the normal railing ending. The fall itself seems to get you onto the computer about 1.7 seconds faster on average than the previous strat.

The next big optimization to be made was quick switching to the mine, which makes the landing exponentially harder (each pause you do midair seems to lower your odds of getting there). I tried many different methods of maneuvering out of bounds, and my best run with the strat as a whole was this low 21 which lost at the very least 2.5 to 3 seconds up to the warp off of an optimal run (implying 17 could be very much possible).

As of now, in going for 19, I am abandoning this strat for the time being. I had kept it secret for the most part so as to try to surprise people with the new strategy, but it seems so unreasonably difficult that it is just not worth it to go for, unless you're going for an untied. Try to come up with a consistent method of landing, and you could nab yourself an untied!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:39:58 pm by mw »
PD Proof Moderator

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:27:06 pm »
Update: Got this cooker of a run earlier today

Quick summary of this run:

- Lost around 0.5 to my best on the first objective, 0.3 to my 18 and is even with Boss's 18 at that point.

- 0.25 slower than my 18 at the warp, not sure about Boss's because his timer is still obscured by text boxes. The movement between these last two TTs was very good, but this warp could have been much faster.

- Messed up the midair quickdraw for the ECM mine, which made me unable to throw for a very long time.

- Landed on the computer just about a full second sooner than the two 18s. Took me around 0.7 to turn to the throw, but on an optimum run, you would also be readying the throw as you turned.

- Mine leaves my hand around .6 slower than either 18 (Because of the bad switching. I'm holding z so I throw as soon as I'm able to). Bad ending (walked into the elevator rather than hitting the door, lol) and it's still a low/mid 19.
PD Proof Moderator

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 09:48:28 am »
Holy shit dude, insane stuff there. Yeah too bad you took just a little too long to pause after you switched to unarmed and you weren't able to quick draw efficiently. If you pause as soon as you do the warp will it fuck up the strat (due to losing speed)?

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:05:16 am »
I think it does mess your speed up, but it's very hard to tell with this strat. I've landed on the computer only around a dozen times so I don't really have enough information to be sure. Most runs I'm more worried about getting the turns right to make sure I'm lined up correctly and getting as much speed as possible.
PD Proof Moderator