Author Topic: *** Elite Video Capture and Editing Guide ***  (Read 11688 times)

dsx

• dsx
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
    • the dsx corner
*** Elite Video Capture and Editing Guide ***
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:09:17 am »
A video capture device is required for times worth 60 points or more.

This is an in-depth guide for recording gameplay. Updated August 5, 2017.

Step 1 - Equipment

Recommended Capture Cards:
- Dazzle DVC100: $20-30
- I-O DATA GV-USB2: $40-50 (better composite and s-video quality)

TV:
- An old-style tube television (CRT) is recommended as the input delay is vastly reduced compared to an LCD/LED/Plasma TV/your capture device.

N64:
- I have found that you can sometimes find very cheap N64 consoles in Japan for around $20 on eBay, if you find North America to be too expensive.
- If you are mixing and matching Japanese and North American hardware, you can buy a 3.8mm Gamebit screwdriver for a few dollars that will allow you to swap the back of your GoldenEye or Perfect Dark cartridge so that it can fit in whichever console.

Cables:
To display the game on both the TV and capture device at the same time you'll need to split the signal somehow:

- Method 1: The easiest way to do this is to see if your TV has AV Out on the back, which can be directly connected to your capture device. If your TV lacks this, try one of the other methods.

- Method 2: The N64 can output composite and S-video simultaneously if you acquire an AV cable that has both these connections on it. These can be found on eBay or Amazon for as little as $5 or less. One of these connections goes to the capture device and the other to the TV. Most capture devices have S-video but your TV may not.

Y-splitters:

These split one composite cable into two. You can get these in longer lengths if need be and you can also buy composite extension cables. Do not use these to split the video cable, as the signal will become very dark on your TV. However, these are fine to use for audio as an audio signal has significantly less information and doesn't seem to halve in volume or anything like that. Composite cables and adapters etc. should only cost a dollar or two.

The other option is to buy a powered splitter, which is a less complicated but more expensive option.

It is not recommended but if you can't be bothered with the above stuff you can simply plug one of the white and red cables into the TV and one into the capture device. You won't really lose any of the actual game sound in GoldenEye however, as most of the game is mono or close to it. Perfect Dark on the other hand has much better sound design. However, you'll only get one sound channel obviously so through video editing you'll need to figure out how to ensure that both our ears enjoy your videos. Note: If you have a GV-USB2, you may find that if you plug only one audio cable into it that it will automatically split the signal to both audio channels anyway which solves this problem.

Step 2: Capture Software

AmarecTV 3.10c
- This version of Amarec fixes the audio pitch-bending issue present in 2.31 and earlier.

Streaming Program (XSplit/OBS/FFsplit etc.)
- Gameplay can be recorded directly here.

VCR/DVD Recorder
- If technology is giving you a hard time, these are usually the way to go and are more reliable than computers. The safest solution is to have a computer and separate device both recording at once.

Recording using Amarec

USING AMAREC IS NO LONGER RECOMMENDED

AmaRecTV is software for recording gameplay. It ensures pixel-accurate and pure video capture, free from any filtering of the image or blur that other capture programs tend to add. It also has a great deinterlacer. The entire interface was translated from Japanese with Babelfish or some crap but try to get around that.

1) Download Amarec from http://www.amarectv.com/download/amarectv310.zip

2) Extract it to your desired folder.

3) Ensure your capture card is plugged in, and open AmaRecTV.exe; click OK on the first message, then the following screen will open:

Format:
- NTSC (North America/Japan): w=720 or w=640 (640 preferred, when available), h= 480, fps=29.97
- PAL_M (Brazil): w=720 or w=640 (640 preferred, when available), h= 480, fps=29.97
- PAL (Europe/Australia) w=720, h=576, fps=25.00

Audio Capture Device:
- For the GV-USB2, Analog Capture and Analog WaveIn seem to do the same thing. Not sure what the difference is.

For the correct aspect ratio, squish or stretch your video (if required) to 640x480 for NTSC/PAL_M, and 768x576 for PAL, during the video editing phase covered later.

4) Next, click on Device Setting to the left. In the window that pops up, head to the Video Decoder tab.
- NTSC_M_J for NTSC consoles (the game will usually appear too dark with NTSC_M)
- PAL_M for Brazilian consoles
- PAL_B for most other PAL consoles

5) Ideally black should be black and not grey, so the Video Proc Amp tab is where you adjust the brightness and contrast if necessary.

6) Once you're done here click OK and head to the Graph 2(Preview) tab in the main config window. The image below shows the ideal settings that work perfectly with the Dazzle and GV-USB2.

These settings should work with most good capture cards (USE ROLE-PLAYING GAME FOR PERFECT DARK HI-RES MODE).

7) The default recording codec that comes with Amarec adds the classic AMV watermark made famous by our boy MirrorMage, among others. For the highest quality recordings and no watermark, download and install the LAGS codec: http://lags.leetcode.net/LagarithSetup_1327.exe (no longer updated). Since there is no quality loss with this codec, the files it creates are very large, about 15GB per hour, so dedicate some hard drive space for these. If you are tight on space you can experiment with other codecs but I can't guarantee their reliability.

8) Next, go back to Amarec and head to the Recording tab.

Video frame rate:
- NTSC and PAL_M: 30 fps
- PAL: 25 fps

Filter On should be selected. This means that Amarec will "deinterlace" the recorded files for a pixel-accurate picture. However in rare cases Amarec's deinterlacing does not work properly in which case leave Filter Off (deinterlacing can be done later with video editing software) or try different recording software. Do some test recordings with Filter On before speedrunning to make sure that there are no issues.

Under Video Compressor, select Other Codec and click Update Codec List.
- Select LAGS Lagarith (or your own codec)
- Click LAGS Setting above if you are using LAGS.
- Tick "Use Multithreading" if your computer has a multi-core processor (this is standard nowadays). This will improve performance and help avoid dropped frames and other no-nos.

Audio Compressor should be set to (Uncompress) unless you know what you're doing here.

9) That should be everything. Right click on the Amarec window and click Rec Start to begin recording (or the hotkey Ctrl+Z).

10) Troubleshooting:

Issue 1

If you see this error, it means the wrong combination of video resolution and video standard settings are selected. For example, you selected the PAL 720x576 resolution but selected NTSC color in the Video Decoder window. A similar error will also appear if you are trying to open multiple handles on the capture device (e.g. multiple Amarec windows, XSplit/OBS already running with the capture device added as a direct source).

Issue 2: Blue Screen of Death

People often experience these when using Amarec. These are usually caused by buggy USB drivers which there isn't really anything you can do about. Personally I get blue screens when I use the GV-USB2 on my USB 3.0 ports but not on the USB 2.0 ports, so this is something to keep in mind if you are getting BSoDs.

Recording using streaming programs

You can add your capture device to XSplit or OBS etc. and record on there. You can also record and stream at the same time with one program. A guide will be added here later.

Recording using VCR/DVD Recorder

- Multisystem VCRs and DVD recorders are much more readily available in PAL territories.
- A regular DVD can hold 2 hours on the standard quality setting.
- Typical VHS tape lengths are T-120 for NTSC (2 hours on standard quality) and E-180 for PAL (3 hours on standard quality). The physical tape is identical and can store either signal type.

Step 3: Making Videos

You've recorded a gameplay session that includes a new personal best time? Great! Now to trim the video and prepare it for upload to the internet.

Video Editing Programs

Handbrake
- Great all-in-one software for encoding videos. However trimming must be done by typing in the start and endpoints manually by their timestamp, rather than through a click-and-drag interface with video preview like VirtualDub or Movie Maker.

VirtualDub
- Good for trimming videos. Has video previews so you can see where you're trimming and can select exact frames with the sliders.
- Handles very large recordings well.

Windows Movie Maker
- Good for basic trimming and exporting if you're not knowledgeable about this stuff.
- Slow to load large recordings.

Sony Vegas
- For more advanced video effects and export options. Relatively easy for trimming and basic effects but a little complex to export nicely.

Machete

Adobe Premiere

Handbrake

1) Download and install Handbrake from https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

2) Run handbrake. Click Source at the top left to open your recording, then click File / Open a single file, and select your recorded file.

3) The third dropdown box here will default to Chapters. Select Seconds so you can enter start and endpoints for trimming out your run. For example, when you open your recording in your media player and your run starts at 02:07:45, type this where it says 00:00:00, and find your endpoint and type in the endpoint in the next box after "through". Your duration will be shown next to this.

4) What's the target location? Select where you want your video to be saved by typing in a file path or clicking Browse.

5) The ideal settings are in the image above. MP4, Web Optimised. iPod 5G support if you have one of those I guess.

Handbrake can correct the aspect ratio without sacrificing quality. Make sure your settings are the same as above (or width 768 height 576 for PAL). Disable cropping unless you're an expert with the overscan border.

6) In the Filters tab, leave everything off and don't use Decomb. However, if deinterlacing in Amarec or another program didn't work properly with your capture device, turn Decomb on. The Handbrake wiki recommends this feature for fast and reliable deinterlacing.

7) Make sure you choose the settings in the image above. In the Quality section not shown here, I personally use Constant Quality 18 RF.

8) In the Audio tab, set the Codec to AAC. Any bitrate around or above 128 should be fine. Set Mixdown to Stereo, or Mono if you only recorded sound in one ear.

9) Hit Start at the top left!

VirtualDub

1) Download VirtualDub from http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

2) Extract it to your desired folder and open VirtualDub.exe.

3) Go to File > Open video file, and open your recording

4) Pretty simple interface, use the slider to find your start and endpoints for trimming. I've pointed out the controls that set these.

5) To do a quick export of a trimmed video without re-encoding, select Direct Stream Copy from the Video menu, and then go to File > Save as AVI, and save your video somewhere.

6) Encoding and compression will be covered here later.

Windows Movie Maker

Windows Movie Maker is bundled with Windows ME, XP, and Vista, and often comes pre-packaged with Windows 7 as part of the Essentials suite which is no longer available for download.

1) The interface is very easy to use and self-explanatory. Load your recording and then click the Edit tab on the ribbon at the top. The Trim Tool makes the trimming process easy and hassle-free. Simply drag the sliders to the start and end points and click Save Trim.

2) When you're done, click the blue menu in the top left, click Save Movie, and select Standard Definition (640x480). However, Movie Maker will not correct any aspect ratio issues so it is recommended to use Handbrake if, for example, your recording is 720x480.

3) You can use Movie Maker to upload directly to YouTube after you're done trimming if you like.

Step 4: Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:00:24 am by dsx »
Updater of This Day In Elite History

Grav

• thank u, next
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
Re: *** Elite Video Capture and Editing Guide ***
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:11:58 am »
very nice. thanks for this

Taylor

• TaylorTotFTW
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:30:56 pm »
god tier post

Joshua Nash

• I sell propane and propane accessories.
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:26:13 pm »
Are we allowed to use other video editing software? I have been using pinnacle. Also is there a guide for xsplit? It's what I use but I don't remember how I set everything up.

Infected Mind

• Retro Game Enthusiast
    • Alex
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 06:19:43 pm »
I like Machete for doing super fast crops of long videos
AKA: l34ss l3oost
AKA: AlexWAnderson

dsx

• dsx
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • the dsx corner
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 04:43:01 am »
Are we allowed to use other video editing software? I have been using pinnacle. Also is there a guide for xsplit? It's what I use but I don't remember how I set everything up.

been meaning to reply to this for years

haha there's no restrictions here, just recommendations. can use what you want. i'll make guides for xsplit/OBS in the future

Joshua Nash

• I sell propane and propane accessories.
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:23:54 am »
Ok thanks  :)

Anemptybox

• twitch
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:04:48 am »
Just got a I-O DATA GV-USB2 since my EzCAP died.

It seems really good but there's one thing I can't figure out atm. I play NTSC/NTSC-J games on my PAL PS2 every now and then (it has a mod chip) but when I try to record it the colours are really weird. I have 720x480 29,97 FPS as resolution and use NTSC_433 (this worked with the EzCAP; you get black and white with the other NTSC modes). In AmaRec I just get an error message but picture (with the weird colours) show up in VB and Showbiz.

Anyone know how I can fix this? Should I post a vid perhaps? Also, what settings should I use in the device custom properties? Thanks.

EDIT: It looks normal when using PAL60 but it only works in VB and OBS.. ?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:02:42 pm by Anemptybox »

dsx

• dsx
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • the dsx corner
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 04:23:26 am »
Hmm I'm not sure, my only advice is to try combinations of 720x480 or 720x576 and PAL60 or PAL_M, see if any combination works

mystic

• I think I took a wrong turn somewhere...
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 03:55:26 pm »
Just got my Elgato Systems Game Capture HD card. Cannot wait to get started!
"You don't need a reason to help people." ~Zidane

eastwood

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 09:46:03 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks for this, insanely useful resource, got my GV-USB2 today.

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »
Personally with Dazzle I find the audio stops capturing before a year is up. Across 4 computers and two dazzle ccs I've had this issue. Any tips?
90+ hrs into XC2 NG+, going for 100%. Be back when I get bored.

Smit

• Oh, this is suicide! There's nowhere to go.
    • Eise
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 03:25:26 am »
Personally with Dazzle I find the audio stops capturing before a year is up. Across 4 computers and two dazzle ccs I've had this issue. Any tips?

Using amarec?

seanb

• GE
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 08:28:37 pm »
Hoping someone can lend a hand.  I'm new to this and have been trying to get Amarec to work with GV-USB2, however all I end up with is a blue screen (no errors). 

I've been playing around in the settings trying to see if anything will work, but so far no luck.  Here are my settings:

Anyone run into this before and have any helpful advice?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ogran

• Lookup
    • Ogran
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 08:58:52 pm »
If it shows 'Signal Detected: 0' on NTSC_M, NTSC_M_J and PAL_B video decoders then you have no signal going into your capture card. Make sure your splitters are setup correctly.
Here in and of the dark, our city, it's streets and walls
Here we live, we are, inside our homes and malls

seanb

• GE
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 09:04:37 pm »
Well, I'm not exactly sure what happened... but I went back to see if I was getting no signal detected and suddenly everything is working.  I'm not going complain :)   Thank you for your help!

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 02:02:33 pm »
If somebody wouldnt mind. Im pretty sure you need to buy composite cable splitters as well so you can play from your tv while still recording your game play on your computer. Would somebody mind maybe explaining what to buy and a quick set up explanation as well. I just wanna make sure a get everything I need so I'll be good to go once everything arrives. Figured it was about time I started recording my game play...you know, just in case lol

dsx

• dsx
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • the dsx corner
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 02:15:55 pm »
first and foremost check if your TV has video out which is the easiest option. if not, you can also do what I did and buy an av cable for the n64 that has both composite and s-video on it, where one of these goes to the capture card and the other goes to the TV. these cost $5 or less

I'll add more info about video capture to the guide at some point

punjabie

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 02:38:11 pm »
Ya tv has no av out and doesnt have s video plug in. So quick question if you plug the s video into the capture card and the yellow red white into the tv will it still record sound?

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 04:35:36 pm »
Figured it was about time I started recording my game play...you know, just in case lol

Haha, I was gonna message you about this very topic. The LTK times you posted this month are all proof worthy and will end up backrolled if you don't provide a video.

dsx

• dsx
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • the dsx corner
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 11:56:54 pm »
no you'll need to split the audio signal

i have added a new section about splitting sound in the guide above

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 07:44:40 am »
I have editing my videos from the past couple of days and realised that I have the amv4 water marks in the bottom left hand corner (totally my fault for not reading this guide properly). I'm guessing that this is unexceptable quality?

The times I'm concerned about are:

Dam A 54
Facility A 51
Facility SA 1.07
Facility 00A 1.09

Or are these times not worthy of proof call?
Goldeneye would be a hilarious film if Pierce Brosnon speed ran it.

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 07:46:12 am »
# Facility A 52

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 08:01:15 am »
The watermark is acceptable with those times. But you can get rid of the AMV watermarks by using the LAGS codec. Install it, reopen AmaRec and replace the AMV codec with it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:20:09 am by YourAcenessPD »

DoggerStyle

• GE
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 08:29:42 am »
Ye after re reading this thread I have altered everything. Just looks shit. Gunna beat them times anyway...

OriginalSketchy

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 07:58:23 pm »
Hey, all, looking for some advice/assistance.

So, I've got my OCB to the point where I'm getting 0:54 pace runs on Dam A consistently, so I wanted to start recording in case I get the 0:53. That being said, I'm having an incredibly frustrating time getting my setup to work, and I'm encountering an incredible dearth of information relating to my specific situation:

Way back in 2009, I bought an HDPVR (the original) to record some stuff for a project; it's sat in storage for several years. However, because I wanted to start capturing gameplay, I whipped it out again since I knew it records HD footage easily.

Therein lies the problem; I was unaware of the N64's low, low output resolution, and when combined with the NTSC janky refresh rate, apparently the HDPVR gets "sick" and cannot record. I've seen several tutorials online showing how to record N64 with the HDPVR, but those were all PAL format.

My other issue is that I use Mac exclusively, and all of the SD capture cards I've seen only have Windows-oriented software. Hell, even the HDPVR is Windows based (I'm using Mac SW developed by an engineer that worked for the company).

I feel kind of stuck. I don't have a VCR or DVD recorder, and I'd be concerned about long-term costs associated with purchasing that media over and over.

I'm trying to find a cost-effective solution to my problem, so that I can start posting some stuff. The ideal solution would be to figure out a way to be able to use my current HDPVR - if anyone knows how, that'd be awesome! - but it doesn't seem like that's going to be feasible.

Any advice is appreciated.

tl;dr: Trying to record N64 NTSC on first-gen HDPVR, having significant trouble. Use Mac only, no Windows PC available. No VCR/DVD recorder. Looking for cost-effective solution - open to advice. Thank you, everyone!

BreakMan3

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 06:53:03 pm »
I'm having lag problems in recordings. I'm using OBS and GV-USB2 for recording. The playback vids have lag at random moments throughout the run. However, the lag is consistent with specific parts of said video. Like I have one video file where the opening to Silo lags everytime.

crazyjesse

• twitch
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 08:45:27 pm »
Hello friends, recently started streaming, I bought a GV-USB2, configured it using Amarec and stream using OBS.

So, I configured Amarec and OBS, and when I start up OBS with the Amarec plug-in, the Amarec display stops; the OBS display takes over. This is fine for me as I'm not interested in watching the capture, just streaming it but the problem is that when it does this, I can no longer capture video using Amarec. I could capture video with OBS which would include my facecam and all that but the video would no longer be frame/pixel accurate as OBS outputs a compressed video, obviously a concern for verification.

Is there some way I can output the proper frame accurate recording of Amarec while still using OBS to stream?

Let me know if more details are required.

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 09:27:29 pm »
I believe you should use window capture on obs to stream the amarec window. Both programs can't take input from the capture card at the same time.
PD Proof Moderator

crazyjesse

• twitch
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 10:27:17 pm »
I believe you should use window capture on obs to stream the amarec window. Both programs can't take input from the capture card at the same time.
Well, this definitely works but now there is no audio capture. As of right now I cannot see a good way of capturing the audio without capturing my entire computer's output which is inadvisable. I will look into this now, but am posting this comment in the hopes that someone already has a nice solution for this.

EDIT: It seems there is a good fix for this. The program Volumeeter allows you to create a fake microphone channel by making a fake soundcard. Any audio you wish to isolate for streaming, simply start it up with the fake sound card on, then switch back to normal sound card. All devices on the fake sound card can be imported to OBS using Volumeeter's fake mic. I have the audio completely turned off for Amarec on my PC and yet it records perfectly and OBS records it properly.

The layout is a bit fiddly and the UI is garish but it works and it's free.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:05:27 pm by crazyjesse »

FOrK

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 01:22:45 pm »
I found this irritating too with obs. It's the primary reason why I haven't started streaming (other than sucking  ;)); I'd rather have a recording of the capture than of the stream.  I haven't wanted to screw with obs to figure a workaround. If only there was a way to stream one scene, and record another scene (in obs). I'm surprised the fake sound card is the only workaround, and that more people haven't run into this, though I'm guessing those that stream more frequently use xsplit, or prefer the stream recorded?

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 01:36:45 pm »
Yeah I gave up on recording + streaming different scenes in OBS even though there were some workarounds available. But in the end I gave Amarec a shot again (I used to get sound delays with it so I used OBS for recording, even offline) and it works just fine now. Dsx mate helped me out with some configs, but in the end switching to 3.10 did the job. It's kinda annoying to do window capture but it works pretty well for streaming purposes anyway.

spec BFR player

• what up
    • Spec
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 10:43:47 pm »
Got a GV-USB2. Installed the drivers from the CD. Amarec is giving me this message:

FOUND THE SOLUTION:

Go to the Language / Date / Time advanced options of windows and change the decimal character from a comma , to a dot .
Yes this is RIDICULOUSLY INTJ but it worked.

Based:
https://twitter.com/EdenalSDA/status/479160952953507840
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:56:04 pm by spec BFR player »
Speedrun Times
Chat highlights not embed so that forums don't get clogged:
http://i.imgur.com/HPNYJKM.png
http://i.imgur.com/jDB72Q1.png

"Part of what makes a shitpost good is that it contains Truth."

flipaodeogame

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 08:07:01 pm »
Hello all, i am new here.

I bought a gv-usb2 capture card and it works perfectly fine for an hour but after that, the capture card captures at 1 fps and i have to restart amarectv in order to keep it working. Is this an issue with the capture device or is it amarec? I lost one day trying figuring out, but i can't stream for more than 1 hour.

Regards

Slugg Christ

• Literal bad boy
    • GE
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 08:46:32 pm »
Hello all, i am new here.

I bought a gv-usb2 capture card and it works perfectly fine for an hour but after that, the capture card captures at 1 fps and i have to restart amarectv in order to keep it working. Is this an issue with the capture device or is it amarec? I lost one day trying figuring out, but i can't stream for more than 1 hour.

Regards

What kind of PC are you using? I had a similar problem when I was using an older laptop.

flipaodeogame

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 02:53:54 am »
It's a pretty new computer I have no problem with. I can run all modern games at 60 fps ultra settings.

Slugg Christ

• Literal bad boy
    • GE
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 10:56:33 am »
It's a pretty new computer I have no problem with. I can run all modern games at 60 fps ultra settings.
Strange. I would try reinstalling amarec and/or your Capture Device drivers if this is happening with nearly 100% consistency. If that doesn't help & you can't find a fix googling around, I might recommend ordering an EasyCAP from Amazon for $5-$10 to test if it works & its an issue with your card.

flipaodeogame

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 04:25:41 pm »
Now it works properly only in ONE usb port in my computer and only in that port. I think tht's good for me haha i'll take it. But thanks for your answers!

Slugg Christ

• Literal bad boy
    • GE
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2018, 11:06:56 pm »
Jesus, I know I’m not the most tech-savvy guy, but this is awfully intimidating. Probably easier than it sounds once you get all the equipment, but all I want to do is get proof-quality capture so I can start playing again and post some times. I don’t need to live stream or make my own fancy videos. At this point, I’m leaning towards just picking up a dvd recorder and revisiting capturing equipment if I ever decide to make a run at world champion.
You could always just put the DVD in your PC and upload it that way  :thinking:

Bizichyld

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 12:31:26 am »
“The N64 can output composite and S-video simultaneously if you acquire an AV cable that has both these connections on it. These can be found on eBay or Amazon for as little as $5 or less. One of these connections goes to the capture device and the other to the TV. Most capture devices have S-video but your TV may not.”

I cannot find a splitter with composite input, and composite AND s-video output anywhere. All I’m seeing are composite splitters, but splitting the composite video is not recommended. My tv does not have output. What are you all using to split the signal between your capture device and your tv? Is this splitter something that is n64-specific, because I can’t see why anyone would manufacture such a thing on a large scale. I must be missing something here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:42:27 am by Bizichyld »

dsx

• dsx
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • the dsx corner
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 12:34:25 am »

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 12:36:36 am »
You don't need a splitter with the right cable. I use this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HRJWCBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be careful that you get the right one, though. I waited a few weeks only to get a cable with just composite and I had to order another one.
PD Proof Moderator

Bizichyld

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 12:45:12 am »
Obviously somebody DOES make such a thing. Lol thanks. Didn’t realize GameCube has the same ports.

f1gal1

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 11:51:12 am »
I'm wondering about the delay on LCDs and what not and I was thinking that with a DVI-composite/s-video converter you could run Goldeneye on a 144hz monitor. However, would there still be a delay or would it work fine?

I don't really have any idea what I'm doing so tips are appreciated!

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 03:01:05 pm »
Since DVI is a digital format, your converter will do analog/digital conversion which always introduces some delay, but how much really depends on the product and I don't think anyone here can give you a reliable answer. Most such products were not designed for low latency as probably >99% of consumers use(d) them for movies and home videos where even a full second delay is irrelevant. For example, some digital TVs display an analog source without any noticable delay even for competitive gaming while others don't even allow for casual gaming. If your converter was designed for desktop monitors then I think there's a good chance that it's usable for speedrunning. But even a delay as low as 5 milliseconds can affect your play, so be aware.

Happens

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 10:55:22 am »
https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-4-Output-Component-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B010EIK6K6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1527691972&sr=8-6&keywords=composite+splitter

Just going to throw this out there, for anyone who isn't sure how to best split their signal, I've been very happy with this distribution amp, and it's pretty cheap. Does composite and s-video.

Vermin

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 12:55:29 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-4-Output-Component-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B010EIK6K6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1527691972&sr=8-6&keywords=composite+splitter

Just going to throw this out there, for anyone who isn't sure how to best split their signal, I've been very happy with this distribution amp, and it's pretty cheap. Does composite and s-video.

Yep that's the splitter I use.

Happens

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2018, 03:58:11 pm »
Finally not recommending Amarec. I am pleased. That program is the spawn of Satan.