Author Topic: ATTN: Noah "Flux" Latour  (Read 3538 times)

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: ATTN: Noah "Flux" Latour
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 11:30:03 pm »
Also it must be stated that when you are banned from the ranks it is not a personal attack or insult. It means your times are, for whatever reason, too much of an outlier to be left on the ranks without proof. There is absolutely no reason to feel offended by this or start attacking the members of the community.

As I mentioned, this community has been around almost 20 years. If we say that your times are too bizarre to be left on the rankings without proof, you should respect that we know a lot more about what new players are like and should also respect the fact that we want you to provide proof. Posting fake pictures, making excuses and being aggressive is not something that a legit player would do.

Prove me wrong. It would be great if you could stop with the attitude as well, but at the end of the day I don't care because you're banned and I'm not. It's just in your best interest if you actually want to be a part of the community.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:14:37 am by Botched Movie Quotes »
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 03:09:20 am »
For the record, I don't condone Noah's attitude after he was banned but I can see why he was upset. And his attitude after his ban is not what I see as the problem here.

Flicker's first post wasn't an attack, but it was devoid of substance and in fact possibly detrimental to the discussion. If some new player is suspicious and you want to clear things up with them, you ask for proof, a deadline or try to work something out. He was not clear with any of this and instead makes a snarky remark. You can make out what how "serious" he probably thought the council was from this post and all the ensuing ones.  Icy somewhat what was more tactful, and the dude replied to Icy AND asked for more clarification, which the council did not respond to. Regardless, given how meme-like the first few posts were, it's not surprising at all to me the way he replied. Instead of the council members being more tactful the style of low-quality posting continued.

I do not believe he would have responded in the manner he did if the council members were more professional with their posts, which they clearly weren't.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 03:25:08 am »
You keep throwing around accusations etc without providing any examples. What posts were memes, what posts were low quality. How was his response in any way justified from what was posted beforehand. Your opinions aren't constructive at all and it really feels like you're just trying to contrive drama. And yes, I can actually back up what I'm saying with examples which I already did which you didn't address at all.

It does absolutely no good just to call our posts low quality without any reason or examples (because the posts actually weren't).

For the record, I don't condone Noah's attitude after he was banned but I can see why he was upset. And his attitude after his ban is not what I see as the problem here.

This seems to indicate that you either didn't read my post or just chose to ignore it. His attitude after the ban is completely irrelevant. It was his attitude before the ban that caused him to be banned. So I'm not really sure why you're even mentioning his attitude after the ban.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:42:01 am by Botched Movie Quotes »

falzy211

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 07:11:07 am »
I think maybe it's worth stressing that this should be being talked about privately.

Deliberately airing this on an article can be seen as a way to publicly humiliate someone.

That's not right. Bearing in mind that this is the internet, and that you're not necessarily talking to someone who thinks like you, or isn't as well as you. That needs to be considered

So noones saying his times aren't unusual, but this was deal with badly.  As a result you can't tell if his responses are trying to hide cheating, or because he's been justifiably upset at being made an example of.

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2017, 09:50:32 am »
Falzy, I agree with you in the "take things privately" thing, maybe it'd be a better idea to send him an e-mail. But at the same time it's an old habit here to create "ATTN" topics to get someone's attention. Forum private messages doesn't work well too (what if the player hasn't created an account yet), and our e-mail could be labeled as spam or shit like that. So the "public" approach here is not invalid at all. We (through Icy's post) didn't share any private info or whatever and we didn't make any offense towards Flux. Icy kindly asked: "m8 you got some good times, are you playing on console?". And the answer is "Uploading when I get home daddy. ". And then Flux apparently got offended or something (?) and continued to write nosense shit like that raspberry pic.

And because of that our system is broken? We are very careful with our proof policy and moderation of the rankings because (well for a lot of reasons, but one of them) it's NOT uncommon for people to think that playing on emulator is valid. It's happened in the past. So someone unknown gets a streak of very good times in a short span of time (SPECIALLY train 106 NTSC which is pretty impressive, coming from someone who had 0 points just a while ago, and train is a lot different on emu), doesn't provide ANY kind of instant proof and ignores the console question when asked.

Yeah yeah we need to improve our proof call and etc, we're working on it as you can see on the forums. Our system is far from perfect. But we can't accept someone coming in, ignoring a very important question and acting like a smartass, being disrespectful to mods and other players.

This could've been 100% avoided by Flux if he replied "Yeah I'm playing on console", or if we had a private notification system in our rankings (unfortunately we don't, yet), or maybe if a mod sent him an e-mail, not sure if it'd work. But like, get real. This is not a public institution and it's not anyone's job or whatever, so as soon as you act like a fucking idiot, you lose all your credibility and yeah you'll get banned and shit. It's life. We can't just quietly tolerate this kind of behavior as if we had a very detailed proofing verification process that catches every single case (e.g if someone in one day posts a bunch of 50 pointers, we're in the right of asking for proof instead of waiting one month). Sometimes you gotta take measures, like make a topic and ask "hey buddy are you playing on console". Is that so completely "wrong" and "not part of our process"? I don't think so.

And I'm with Karl. Overall I think the temporary ban was a good decision. Like I said, it could've ben avoided. And he was banned 90% because of acting like a troll, NOT because he had unverified times. Please don't go like "we have to follow our rules and wait for proof" and etc. Our verification process is in constant change and yeah it has some issues. One month is the time required to provide proof in "regular" situations I guess, but this is not really clear.

Sorry for the long post m8s. I hope Flux upload videos for his PRs. It's always good to have good players around.

And if this is someone trolling, you got me  :kappa:

falzy211

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2017, 10:13:25 am »
Most of the first 10 posts including the OP show a pretty bad attitude to the new guy. Your clearly assumed him guilty and bannable before hed even replied to the thread.

If you've gotta expose people in this way, needs to be done a lot better

Anyway im a nobody here... this is just how I saw it when I looked in to see who was streaming

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2017, 11:04:41 am »
"Flicker's first post wasn't an attack, but it was devoid of substance and in fact possibly detrimental to the discussion"

https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=22202.msg450074#msg450074

What is the purpose of this post? This issue was serious enough to warrant a thread and some questions by Icy. Flicker, as a rankings moderator and council member, could have posted the following:

- This is why we want to call you under different circumstances
- We want this to be done (upload videos by given date, etc)
- Consequence of not following rules (ban, etc)

It is more than likely this new player would instantly realize why he's being called out. He probably would have replied seriously (as he did to my first post) and with more information about his situation.

But the proof moderator doesn't do this. You can make out what you want about Flicker's post instead. I did not say it was an attack, just an irrelevant one that could have better been utilized especially given his role as a moderator and his urge to post in the thread.

None of what I say below is relevant to my main post, but I addressed them anyway:

Spoiler
https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=22202.msg450123#msg450123

Second post by a council member. Could have responded with further clarification, for example deadline or repercussion (though not necessary). Appears to be a neutral post, but quite casual and informal and the way it is worded will almost certainly elicit a response from the new guy.

'Instantly defensive and passive aggressive. This attitude was in no way called for or justified given my neutral statement. Either this person 1. knows me and doesn't like me already, or 2. was lying in his original statement and is defensive now that he knows his lie was caught. It should be immediately obvious at this point this person is a troll or has some chip on his shoulder. This was not my doing and my post was not provoking at all.'

'This attitude was in no way called for'? You act as if he insulted you when he simply responded with rhetoric that honestly shouldn't be unexpected. But none of this is relevant to my main point.

https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=22202.msg450126#msg450126

'Jimbo strat'... really? This new player probably won't even know what that means. Again, nothing in the post indicates it's an attack but why not use it to provide a warning instead?

'This seems to indicate that you either didn't read my post or just chose to ignore it.'

You assume that the one line I wrote there was directed towards your post and not a general statement.

'Most of the first 10 posts including the OP show a pretty bad attitude to the new guy. Your clearly assumed him guilty and bannable before hed even replied to the thread.'

I agree. He clearly stated that he was out of town for work and would upload videos later. Instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt, or responding with a deadline of sorts, or even asking what proof was required (note that they did not do this, but a regular member) the council members post rhetorical statements instead. Then they ban him. I don't find that acceptable.

The council members are looking at HIS posts and HIS behavior instead of realizing they could have handled this situation better.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2017, 11:30:20 am »
I agree that the original 2 replies are meaningless/stupid whatever. However they absolutely do not warrant attitude in any way. First of all, Flicker's post was directed at everyone else except for the person the topic was meant for, because he believed that Flux would not see the topic. And, Flux's responses confirm that there was no issue.

Dude of course I'm going to be neutral and casual, why can't I be? Are you saying that I have to talk like a robot because I'm on the council? You have ridiculous standards. You are illogically suggesting that my post is in some way responsible for his attitude, which it isn't. There was literally nothing wrong with my post, and I can be as casual as I want.

Are you saying it isn't interesting/weird that he would bring a n64 on his work trip, along with recording equipment? Are you saying that if someone says something that is a bit weird I can't note it or mention it? Because that person might spaz out and get triggered?

Instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt, or responding with a deadline of sorts, or even asking what proof was required (note that they did not do this, but a regular member) the council members post rhetorical statements instead. Then they ban him. I don't find that acceptable.

This does make me think (could be wrong) you just intentionally refuse to listen to anything we say. As a already mentioned, he was never in danger of being removed until he started giving attitude and posted the fake picture (trolling/lying).

You even admitted that none of our posts were attacks. So there was legitimately no reason for him to be a smart ass, or post that troll picture. You completely gloss over this ever time you post as if it never happened. I really do believe you're being difficult here on purpose.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:45:45 am by Botched Movie Quotes »

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2017, 11:36:32 am »
Most of the first 10 posts including the OP show a pretty bad attitude to the new guy. Your clearly assumed him guilty and bannable before hed even replied to the thread.

Alka Maass was the only post here indicating that someone thought he was guilty.

Please do not tell me what I mean. If I mean to say something, I will say it. If I think he is a troll, I will say so, as I did in my second response. Do not put words in my mouth or tell me what I do or don't assume. At the time of my first post I was literally just pointing out that it's weird that he said he is out of town for work but still pr'ing. Which it is. I had no intention or thoughts of banning/removing him. Why would I care?

I DO care however when he gives me attitude and acts like a smart ass for no reason, then posts a fake BS picture and tries to troll us.

falzy211

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2017, 11:51:48 am »
Well anyway I'll leave it here. It's clear I've upset people and it wasn't my intention, I just thought it seemed unfriendly to newer people.
I don't wish to get into trouble myself or get into a fight

Hope the guy can come back and prove his times

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2017, 11:55:16 am »
Nah dude don't worry no one is upset :) Sorry if I was too full on, but I mean really I don't care man. This is just a way to kill time posting in these topics and debating.

vitorr

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2017, 11:55:50 am »
I understand and agree with you on that Falzy, thanks for your input btw. A few replies in this topic (mainly Alka's :grin:) were disrespectful as well, maybe that got him triggered. Also agree that Flicker could've been a little more serious on the subject, like Ace pointed out. But IMO that doesn't give Flux's right to keep making fun of the situation etc, instead of clearing things up, specially in this very awkward situation (streak of insanely good PRs coming from someone who had 0 points and very bad times, train 106 NTSC, no single kind of instant proof, he's out of town and can't upload videos).

Adjusting what I've said in the other reply. This could been avoided if:

- No one replied to Icy's post, unless it was a mod adding some more information (like a deadline and why he's being proof called)
- Flux answered the post accordingly, explaining that he's indeed playing console and telling us why he can't upload videos now.

Papa FLuX

• GE
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »
however he posted a fake picture of his set up.

Needs to also be banned from the boards tbh.
Possibly the most autistic novel I've ever read tbh.
Can't tell if the joke of that photo really went over your head or not.
Hard to believe that you're actually that stupid.

Go ahead & ban me  :LOL: :LOL: better make sure it's before Friday night so you can keep me off the rankings. ;)

P.S I spend Mon-Fri every week in Toronto, an hour from my town.
Not really suspicious that I have a few consoles here especially considering that there isn't wifi, as stated ages ago.

I hope you realize that this thread was over 4-5 posts in, and it was made into something larger than necessary by a few people (yourself especially).

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:50:01 pm by Papa FLuX »

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2017, 12:47:01 pm »
'First of all, Flicker's post was directed at everyone else except for the person the topic was meant for, because he believed that Flux would not see the topic. And, Flux's responses confirm that there was no issue.'

'because he believed that Flux would not see the topic'. OK, but the same style of posting continued even after Flux saw the topic and should have been given more clarification. Clarification on a deadline, what needed to be proven, etc. This would have prevented all the nonsense that was posted afterwards.

'Dude of course I'm going to be neutral and casual, why can't I be? Are you saying that I have to talk like a robot because I'm on the council? You have ridiculous standards.' ... There was literally nothing wrong with my post

I am not sure where I said any or implied any of that, nor did I say there was anything wrong with your post.

You seem to think I have an issue with his attitude being OK when it is, in fact, the moderators who I think did not handle the situation appropriately.

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2017, 04:08:05 pm »
I just can't stand insubordinate cocky pricks who are new to the scene. I fired people like that. Take the high road, Noah.

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2017, 10:36:04 pm »
I am going to be posting proof on Friday
I will be uploading the videos on friday afternoon when I get home
:nesquik:

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2017, 12:38:46 am »
Just realised that everyone was using the word banned, but noah was never banned. He was removed from the ranks until proof was provided (which it wasnt, what a shocker).

For future reference when someone is removed in a similar situation pls dont use the word banned. Banned is completely different to what happened.

Also note i remember when people will stand by and let a new random irrel call me autistic and stupid etc. Not true mates.

Elite Top 5s

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2017, 01:01:34 am »
im chocked he(it) hasnt uploaded any proof videos yet !
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Alec McDonald

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2017, 02:37:00 am »
Also note i remember when people will stand by and let a new random irrel call me autistic and stupid etc. Not true mates.

Well...ARE you autistic and stupid? Obv not. Gotta let that goofy stuff slide, mate. Not worth the stress/attention being brought to it. Let idiots be idiots.
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2017, 02:49:08 am »
Thanks Alec but im not stressed/worried about what Noah said at all. It is just englightening about the other people who dont voice any concerns about this guy posting inflammatory posts about established members. In fact they even side with the troll and try to justify his actions.

Definitely something i notice and remember.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2018, 10:07:58 am »
Where the vids tbh

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2018, 10:44:21 am »
If you're not convinced Noah Latour was a grav alt despite all the evidence Goose & I posted, then idk what to say.

https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=22205.0

Alec McDonald

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2018, 08:03:22 pm »
The alt got BTFO.

On to better things.
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn