Author Topic: *** THE HEALTHY KNOWLEDGE REPOSITORY THREAD ***  (Read 828 times)

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
*** THE HEALTHY KNOWLEDGE REPOSITORY THREAD ***
« on: February 04, 2018, 08:25:39 am »
Welcome to the healthy knowledge repository thread! What is this, you say? This is where people post healthy, informative and interesting trivia information.

Rules of the thread:

- Please ensure you are posting from a CREDIBLE source.
- Please do not post current affairs/news. This thread is NOT for that.
- This should not include Elite-related trivia, such as knowledge about GoldenEye records.
- Only one post which has a new link or piece of information should be made every 24 hours (otherwise posts are fine). If someone posts an article, please wait 24 hours before you post your own. If too many people post at once, nobody will read anything, defeating the purpose of this thread.
- If you act like an arrogant dickhead, posting "wow can't believe people didn't already know this", I will personally fly to your house and slap you.

Without further ado, let's get started!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvaza_gas_crater

Very interesting. I was looking at the map of Turkmenistan at work because I was bored, and I came across this. 'Darvaza' is an Urdu/Arabic word which means 'door'. Short but fascinating article. Perhaps an Elite meet should happen at this place one day.

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: *** THE HEALTHY KNOWLEDGE REPOSITORY THREAD ***
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:33:19 pm »
In 1850, Doctor George Merryweather invented the Tempest Prognosticator, a device used to predict the coming of storms. A ring of bottles containing leeches were attached to a bell, and when atmospheric pressure changes disturbed the leeches they would attempt to escape, ringing the bell. The frequency of bell ringings was (theoretically) related to the likelihood of a storm approaching. Merryweather claimed great success with his device, and asked the British government to adopt his design for use on coasts, but they went with a somehow less scientific device, the Storm Glass.
PD Proof Moderator

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:47:05 pm »
Since I like the idea for this thread, I want to keep it alive.

Eddie Feigner was a pitcher who assembled a four person softball team known as "The King and His Court". For 55+ years they traveled all around the United States and even to multiple countries taking on local softball teams. Feigner could throw a softball at 104 miles per hour. The team claimed 9,743 victories, 141,517 strikeouts, 930 no-hitters and 238 perfect games, as well as a roughly 90% win rate. In a 1967 charity game, Feigner struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Maury Wills, and Harmon Killebrew all in a row.
PD Proof Moderator

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 11:19:25 pm »
Are we supposed to comment on the interesting posts and then someone else hops in 24 hours later with a new one? So right now I am only allowed to comment about Eddie Feigner (and not the Tempest Prognosticator)?

Where's the source for the 104mph thing? Seems too far out there to believe.

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:23:15 am »
To be honest, no idea what the real idea is behind discussion in this thread, but I like posting interesting things if anyone cares to read them.

I got the 104 mph figure from this old 1950s newsreel about the guy, so take it with a grain of salt.
PD Proof Moderator

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:27:45 am »
Maybe the 104mph claim is adjusted for the equivalent of a pitch from the actual baseball rubber distance.  Since softball would usually be delivered from a shorter distance. Thanks!

Rigger in Chief

• SC Host
    • Austin Perroux
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016CommunityContributor
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 03:39:53 am »
Freezing fog is a peculiar meteorological state of weather. The parameters themselves are simple but actually attaining true freezing fog is incredibly difficult. Air temperature should be at the dew point and the temperature must be below freezing. The droplets themselves remain in a state of water vapor until they come into contact with some surface, freezing almost instantly.
Rigging Contests One Round at a Time

The man who trolled and lost everything

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:37:53 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Ten_Peaks

The knowledge that a place like this exists is healthy enough.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

TheFlash

• twitch
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:24:22 pm »
Guess QB will have to go there whenever he finally goes to visit Infil for the long-awaited trip to Banff.

ohmss

• OHMSS
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 12:26:43 pm »
I have the privilege of living within one hour of a very similar place called "Klöntal".

Carathorn

• Cara
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 03:36:41 pm »
pretty sure last two images posted in this topic are Bob Ross paintings..

Grav

• Don't underestimate me.
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 07:03:48 pm »
The two parts to the word “helicopter” are not “heli” and “copter”,  but “helico” meaning spiral, and “pter” meaning one with wings, like pterodactyl.

WR or Bust
Proof Policy Champion
Data Visualization Enthusiast

RTA/IL Rankings:
Doom 64 - https://goo.gl/LdWxjB || Blast Corps - https://goo.gl/RppsSH || Pilotwings 64 - https://goo.gl/WnS8Sh

Gelonidres

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 05:11:44 pm »
Crisalix is a company specialized in 3D simulation of plastic surgery results. They also do it using VR glasses.

Who knows, by 2040 people could be wearing VR contact lenses virtually enhancing any ass they look at.
A (three year old) video of it at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-jiXom1Zw