Author Topic: The Cash for Caught Cheaters Program  (Read 4026 times)

Grav

• thank u, next
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
The Cash for Caught Cheaters Program
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:55:04 pm »
Hello and welcome. This thread's purpose is to provide a place for people to offer their money as a permanent cash reward pool awarded to anyone who proves beyond reasonable doubt that a player has cheated their run(s). I want this to be separate from the normal incentives thread as this kind of incentive has special relevance.

Rules:
1. Money is awarded only if the person found cheating is either a current top 100 ranked player or if they have achieved an untied world record at any point in their career.
2. Money is awarded only if there is undeniable evidence of a run being cheated or the council votes unanimously that the run is questionable enough to permanently ban the suspected player, not just remove or backroll the time or times in question.
3. All incentives last forever, however you may ask to remove your incentive at any time assuming nobody has been awarded it.
4. The run in question must already be a video posted on the elite rankings, not on an external site like speedrun.com.
5. Admitting your own runs are cheated does not qualify you for money.
6. Only players already ranked on the-elite.net prior to this post will qualify (to prevent alt account exploits)
7. Any special circumstances not covered that seem like a loophole exploit to get money and not to prove cheating will be subject to disqualification.
8. The entirety of the cash pool will be awarded every time a person is caught cheating.
9. If multiple people contribute to proving a cheated run, the money will be split equally between them. (Disputes will be worked out by the participants)
10. Failure to pay out your incentive will result in a forum ban until money is paid out.
11. You have 1 month to pay your incentive, starting from when the decision to award money is made.
12. Please post incentives in USD.

Contibutions:
-$100 (Grav)
-$25 (Flechr)

THE CURRENT BOUNTY FOR CATCHING A CHEATER IS:
$125
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:42:38 pm by TheFlash »

TheFlash

Re: The Cash for Caught Cheaters Program (CCCP)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:08:10 pm »
council votes unanimously

Possible perverse incentive if those offering the bounty are also on the Elite Council :D

Of course, they'd be ridiculed right on out of their position if they pulled a stunt like that.

6. The entirety of the cash pool will be awarded every time a person is caught cheating.

This is going to create a very interesting market situation until more is known about the landscape! I was originally inspired to make a pledge myself, but then I realized it would be risky to pledge before giving the original pledge some time to mature.  If it's going to be claimed in 1 day, my funds might be "wasted".

Maybe a partial depletion strategy would better encourage more participation?  For example, if only 50% of a person's pledge went to the first cheat found after the pledge was made, 35% to the second, and 15% to the third, then new pledges would fill in alongside existing ones as more cheaters are found. Food for thought....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:13:46 pm by TheFlash »

Grav

• thank u, next
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:09:33 pm »
:nesquik:

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:05:49 am »
https://rankings.the-elite.net/~Jim+Barrett/time/4183
This looks suspicious near 0:17 and 0:20. Can I haz hundred dollarz?

Grav

• thank u, next
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:25:54 am »
added rule to make this apply only for players currently on the rankings before this post, to prevent alt shenanigans

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 01:10:45 pm »
Excellent topic  :pimp:
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Saltkillzsnails

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47:30 pm »
Cough 00:58

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 03:18:22 am »
Cough 00:58

Cool! Awaiting your proof that the run is illegitimate.
Every 00:58 posted in the last 5 years has been proven to be legitimate. Not sure what you're seeing!
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 12:53:10 pm »
Will Steven Z money be distributed?

Grav

• thank u, next
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 01:04:38 pm »
4. The run in question must already be a video posted on the elite rankings

Grav

• thank u, next
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 03:31:16 pm »
So this rule also prevents the SZ thing from counting also,

2. Money is awarded only if there is undeniable evidence of a run being cheated or the council votes unanimously that the run is questionable enough to ban the suspected player.

I will change the wording to include that it must be a ban and not just removing a player's time(s) to qualify for money. Just backrolling someone if they don't have proof is a different thing than proving someone cheated and permabanning them.

Modified rule:
Money is awarded only if there is undeniable evidence of a run being cheated or the council votes unanimously that the run is questionable enough to permanently ban the suspected player, not just remove or backroll the time or times in question.

TheFlash

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 03:45:42 pm »
While you're at it, you should clarify what kind of unanimity you're looking for.  I immediately thought of this rule while reading the recent topic about removing Steven Zwartjes:

in the unanimous (7-0) council vote to remove him.

From this post it is not entirely clear whether the two unaccounted votes were abstentions or simply council members still pondering their decision.  If a vote was 8-0 with one member positively abstaining (whether that be to make a statement, defend a friend, or whatever), will that count for this type of unanimity or will you require all members to affirm the decision?  Someone who just hasn't responded yet could conceivably vote no, as well.

Grav

• thank u, next
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 03:50:07 pm »
yea good point, i think it should require 9-0 because 99% of caught cheating cases will be unanimous since it usually is a smoking gun. or if its like 8-0, the other person at least has been clued in and is aware of the situation. as long as nobody opposes it and everyone knows, it should qualify

i mean im not looking to scam anyone who actually finds a cheater we didnt know was cheating by citing some technicality. as long as they dont try some obvious loophole BS i will pay them. the rule list is just to try and cover my ass for all the ways this could be exploited

would be nice if others fork up a few bucks to build the pool up too. if we got to like 500 bucks i could see a lot more people getting interested in trying to win it

MadmanFlechr

• Adam
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 12:00:28 pm »
Please add $25 from me to the bounty.
Former Owner of the "Highest Quality Webcam Stream on Twitch"

Grav

• thank u, next
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 06:45:56 pm »
added. thanks mate