Author Topic: M Strat pre-announcement  (Read 3538 times)

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
M Strat pre-announcement
« on: July 18, 2018, 04:47:49 AM »
Today would have been the 100th birthday of Mr Nelson Mandela, a person who's life story I consider worth promoting (his original autobiography is a really good read).

But this isn't the "what are you currently reading" thread. I originally conceived my new strat idea, 'OOK', nearly 2 months ago, right in the middle of my exam term for my masters degree. It has undergone several substantial changes / improvements in the over a hundred hours of development time. All that time ago I planned to announce the strategy today, but it made a dramatic leap forward just last week.

I'm moving house on the weekend and then starting my first job at the end of July, so with this in mind I feel obliged to publish what I have on Friday 27th July (next Friday).

So far I have:
  • Evidence of the consistency of the strat (hot off the press): If executed well, you can expect the strat to 'succeed' 1 in 5 runs. Success is not entirely binary, and fear not, other members of the OOK strat family allow room to trade generacy for an even faster time
  • A not-quite-WR speed TAS that I made hurriedly yesterday, which was pretty doomed because it used 1.2 (see below)

What I'll hopefully have by publish-day:
  • A 'TAS untied' i.e. beating Henrik's TAS of the level (hopefully. TASing really isn't easy. Certainly Henrik himself could produce such a TAS) which should also be human-achievable
  • A tutorial video, showing (to the best of my knowledge and ability) how to do it on console
  • A sample run on console
  • Some fat wall of text (probably to later be a video) of the speed science / potential for changes to the strat

As you can tell looking on my times page I have hardly played on actual console, only having run s1 agent briefly (inspired by kyousu on twitch), so I probably lack the OCB for a untied. That said I remain convinced that this 'M strat', will be easy untieds to strong players, and there are no doubt better members of the 'OOK strat family'. This is why I thought I should make this post, and in particular say that you will probably need two controllers, both with ordinary sticks (A GC stick won't work, and I found the superpad no use either) if you wish to attempt the strat, though it could be done with 1.1 I think :nesquik:. With 1.2 the recent improvement goes out the window.

I've also had a few other ideas (which haven't been shot down yet, and which aren't quite so secret) which together with this led me to the outrageous claim of 1:10:XX by the end of the year. I'll definitely retract the stronger version of this (by the end of summer, "easy") but I'll stand by the end of 2018 one for now. Gratz and thanks to Daniel Coelho for bringing it closer since I said that.. only 29s to go :grinning:

Saltkillzsnails

Re: M Strat pre-announcement
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 01:58:10 PM »
Totally lost but I applaud your excitement and potential innovation

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »
Thanks salt :D

A slight clarification (read 'more vagueness'): OOK stuck as a name partly because it nods to OOB and with the 2 controller chat above people may have got the idea that it's applicable to most levels (like 2.X), which it's not. The need for a normal stick for movement too is for some really precise movement. As I understand it GC sticks behave almost like the c-buttons (I don't have one yet), and I found the superpad too sensitive.

That said, OOK does apply to more than one level :kappa: and the more degenerate strats especially must give some serious time cuts. That together with some hope (it's certainly nothing more concrete yet) in some other ideas I had + personal and baseless confidence in SZ strats + being high on M strat success at the time = 1:10:XX.

I think OOK has a pretty 'high skill cap' (or maybe I'm just crap) and features two real crunch moments as well as having room for making more difficult / risky choices for potential rewards.

But basically calm down, I'm currently imagining being up at 4am and have people shout at me on twitch because they can't get it to work lol.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:09:32 AM by Whiteted »

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »
You know, with all 696 words you typed you could've probably explained it or even posted a link to a vid in that time.  :nesquik:

Thinking this is troll. There is no evidence but false hype.  :thinking:

WE NEED MORE.
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:52:28 AM »
Then I will be brief (ish). I only considered the strat out of development yesterday, and there are still some rough edges.

I believed the strat existed a long time ago (relatively), but if I had dumped what I had in 'Obscure happenings' it would have been dismissed. Scientists do not publish half finished papers, but something cohesive. Then I had something, but the odds were awful. It seemed to me to be unfair to encourage people to throw themselves randomly against a roller door over and over in the hope of getting an untied, and that I should instead develop the strat until it was actually viable, and the mechanics understood (which they still aren't fully, I haven't had a chance to use Henrik's debugging stuff). Likewise I hope to publish a tutorial which can actually be followed.

I will accept that I could have kept it nearly entirely in the dark until this Thursday say, but it was always the Mandela strat. Equally I could have kept it in the dark another 2 months probably, and it would be better.
Evidently there is no evidence* yet, but this is just it I've yet to actually make a console run (mostly because I've yet to try).

Edit: * Publicly available evidence :pimp:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:21:05 AM by Whiteted »

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
...Evidently there is no evidence yet...

:kappa:
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
You can't make strats without evidence.

I ashume that you have some?

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
So far I have:
  • Evidence ...

What I'll hopefully have by publish-day:
[Evidence that convinces people quicker]

Elite Top 5s

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 08:28:23 PM »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

EliminatorJr

• Bobandy
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
No way, Mr. Lahey. I NEED a cheeseburger!

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev

The man who trolled and lost everything

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

渚カヲル

• Adam

Gelonidres

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »

JDBlack21

• A Keen Eye™
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • YouTube page
YouTube channel
Discord: @JDBlack#9593

"It do be like dat tho" -Yung Cash Register AKA Lil Broomstick

destrukt

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 10:50:32 AM »
I am sure it arrives today.

M Strat

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
M strat tutorial vid and OOK TAS will be uploaded as soon as I get back home tomorrow. Tutorial is 10 mins long atm and has a script I've just got to record myself and hope shotcut doesn't crash :v . I might be having dinner out in which case it will be like 10-11pm UK time (GMT+1). Alternatively the train might derail because the rails have expanded or something.

The actual speed of virgin trains

Aztec Exemplar

• A Significant Sex Machine
    • Mirror
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »
11pm UK time? Why not just make it next month?
"Time's a teacher spitting since I was tying sneakers" - Jus

Anemptybox

• twitch
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »
TheGreatMax would be proud of this topic.

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 12:07:24 AM »
The M stands for ‘Make you wait’.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

Happens

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »
M Strat Fad

Happens

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 04:56:20 PM »
This better be dank as fuck, square up

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »
Got to be for the dankest of all meets. Still on the train atm, ETA close to midnight

Grav

• Don't underestimate me.
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2016SilverStar
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 05:35:24 PM »
make a new thread on GE forums when you post, since this thread has been nuked

WR or Bust
Proof Policy Champion
Data Visualization Enthusiast

RTA/IL Rankings:
Doom 64 - https://goo.gl/LdWxjB || Blast Corps - https://goo.gl/RppsSH || Pilotwings 64 - https://goo.gl/WnS8Sh