Author Topic: GoldenEye: 007 (Wii)  (Read 312 times)

FitterSpace

• GE
    • twitch
GoldenEye: 007 (Wii)
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:48:05 AM »
GoldenEye: 007 for Wii is a full-scale re-imagining of the original GoldenEye. Many people will compare the classic Nintendo 64 game to the Wii version, but there really isn't much in common as far as casual gameplay is concerned. However, the small, but dedicated community of GoldenEye Wii speedrunners have been working hard to optimize each level on each difficulty, much like members of the-elite have been doing with the original GoldenEye for nearly 20 years. With 14 missions and 4 difficulty settings, there are a total of 56 stages to speedrun. Higher difficulties have more objectives than the lower ones, so each mission/difficulty combination is different in its own way. The highest difficulty, 007 Classic, replaces the regenerating health system with the standard health bar and adds body armor pickups to the maps. Speedruns on this difficulty are particularly interesting because it makes health and armor management a more important part of the speedrun.

Movement
There are a few key things that make GoldenEye Wii speedruns interesting. First, the movement. The fastest way to move in this game is with a technique called Sprint Cancelling. Most modern shooters give the player the ability to sprint, but very few of them let you sprint forever. GoldenEye Wii is no exception to this. However, interrupting a sprint (usually by reloading) at the right time will allow you to start another sprint immediately. First, you start sprinting, then about one second later you cancel the sprint with a reload animation. After than, cancel the reload animation a few frames later by sprinting again. You can keep chaining these actions together to get infinite sprint. Each sprint cancel is a 5-frame window (in a 30 fps game, this is .16 seconds) and optimally saves about .2 seconds when you successfully cancel a sprint. If you reload outside of this 5-frame window, you will either break even compared to sprinting normally or lose time. If you press reload too late, you will go through a whole reload animation and lose about .5 seconds. This might sound tedious but it adds a whole other dimension to the movement because it's 100% based on skill and timing. Good players will have better sprint cancels than bad players, and will save more time as a result.

Glitches
Another thing that makes GoldenEye Wii speedruns interesting is the glitches. While it's not quite as glitch-heavy as 007: Nightfire, there are still a few out-of-bounds skips that we take advantage of in a few levels. The easiest way to get out of bounds is with a glitch called Hovering. If you mash the sprint and reload buttons while going down stairs or slopes, Bond will glide in the air over the slope instead of going down the slope as expected. Since you can't jump in this game, any way to have control of Bond in the air is important. While you're in the air, you can get over the guard rails on the sides of the staircase, get over short invisible walls, or simply save a bit of travel time. This is what hovering looks like in action: https://youtu.be/pqJ61iJu4iw?t=15m9s. In this example, JamesBong3333 cuts off a bit of travel time by getting off the staircase early. Getting out of bounds is useful, but unfortunately this game tries its hardest to make it not useful, usually by not loading other areas of the maps until you reach specific checkpoints. But there is another trick we use to get around that. When you pause, the game takes time to load things around you, regardless of where you're supposed to be in the level. So previously unreachable areas of the map are now reachable thanks to this trick. Here is an example of hovering out of bounds, then pausing to load the next room: https://youtu.be/DLqG2SMtd5Y?t=5m16s . This is a pretty important one because it skips a 2-minute cutscene.

Stages and Difficulty
Missions in this game are quite a bit longer than the original GoldenEye, at least as far as speedrunning goes. Most of the stages in GoldenEye N64 are under 2 minutes, but there is only one GoldenEye Wii stage under 3 minutes. The average IL speedrun of GoldenEye Wii is just under 7 minutes long. There are 4 stages that are over 10 minutes long. That doesn't mean that GoldenEye N64 stages are easy and Wii stages are hard, but Wii stages are much longer. The overall combined time for GoldenEye N64 is currently 1:11:26, while the combined time of the Wii version is 6:31:01. Keep in mind that GoldenEye Wii is not as optimized as the N64 game, but we're still working on it. Keep in mind that the 6:31:01 combined time includes the unskippable cutscenes this game has, so a 10-minute Bunker speedrun in GoldenEye Wii has about 7-8 minutes of gameplay. The overall combined time without cutscenes would probably be about 4:30:xx. Speedrunning a game with unskippable cutscenes might sound like a drag at first but I got used to it after about a week and I don't pay too much attention to them anymore.

There are also 4 difficulty settings. In order of increasing difficulty, they are: Operative, Agent, 007, and 007 Classic. Operative is your standard "easy mode". You have regenerating health and enemies by themselves don't do much damage. No additional objectives are required, so most levels are simply a race to the finish. Levels on this difficulty are great to speedrun because it really tests your ability to move optimally. Agent is the next difficulty up from Operative. Enemies are noticeably tougher and have quicker reaction time. There are also additional objectives that must be completed. This is comparable to the Secret Agent difficulty in the original GoldenEye. Next, there is 007 difficulty. On this difficulty, enemies are much stronger and kill you much more quickly. Speedruns on this difficulty need to be carefully planned out to minimize the chances of a rogue enemy dealing lots of damage and ending your run. All additional objectives must be completed on this difficulty. This is similar to 00 Agent difficulty in GoldenEye N64, although I'd be quicker to compare it to Call of Duty on Veteran difficulty. Finally, there is 007 Classic. The enemies and objectives are the same as 007 difficulty, but this mode removes the regenerating health feature and replaces it with a standard health bar. It also adds body armor pickups to the maps. This is my personal favorite difficulty because it adds another layer of challenge to the speedruns because you have to manage your health over a long period of time. Because you can pick up body armor, many levels end up being easier on 007 Classic than 007. But it depends on the level. Because all the objectives are the same as 007, the times for the IL speedruns are also similar. As it stands right now, most levels are faster on 007 Classic, but that's mostly because 007 difficulty is not as optimized yet. Like I said, we're still working on getting every time as perfect as humanly possible.

Timing
Full-game runs are timed using real time, and speedruns of individual levels are timed using the in-game timer. Much like the original GoldenEye, the in-game timer is perfect for IL speedruns. It ignores all loading times and lag, so everybody is on a level playing field. If you know a lot about GoldenEye N64 speedrunning, you may think that a timer that ignore lag is a bad idea. But in this day and age, everybody's console can lag differently depending on their hardware. Just because two people are playing on an original model Wii doesn't mean their games will lag the same way. While there are ways to reduce lag, people's consoles can still lag differently, so not having that variable affecting the run time is a great thing. The Wii's disc reader also goes slower with age, so whether you're playing on a 2006 white wii or a brand new Wii U, everybody's runs are on a level playing field.

Game Versions
There isn't much to say about this, but I thought I would include this anyway. As far as we know, there are no version differences that affect speedruns of this game. Whether you're playing on the North American NTSC version, the European/Australian PAL version, or even versions with different languages like Japanese, all versions are equal for speedruns. The spoken language doesn't affect any of the cutscenes, since the different voices are simply dubbed over the exact same cutscene. If that's not good enough, console choice doesn't seem to matter either. In my testing, I've found that my loading times on my 2006 Wii and my Wii U I got in 2014 are pretty much the same. Keep in mind though that aging hardware could load slower than new hardware, but in my tests it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference (I just thought I would put that disclaimer out there just incase). So no matter what region you're from, what language you're playing in, or even the console you're playing on, all versions of this game play the same as far as we know.

Speedruns
GoldenEye Wii speedruns can be found at https://www.speedrun.com/gewii/individual_levels
I assume you don't want to watch every level on every difficulty, so I would recommend some specific stages to really get an idea of what GoldenEye Wii speedrunning is all about. Here are 3 very recent world records that I think reflect this game as a whole very well.

Airfield (Operative) 2:54 by PurpleSun
https://youtu.be/_ey63y_aQ1M
As JamesBong describes it, this level is a sprint cancel playground. Near-perfect sprint cancels are required to get a 2:54.

Airfield (007 Classic) 3:41 by FitterSpace
https://youtu.be/G-_OMe8AVrs
This stage highlights the differences between Operative and 007 Classic. Also, notice the in-game timer on the screen. Each level has a time trial mode, which is on a set difficulty per level. Airfield's Time Trial happens to be on 007 Classic. This is huge because you can easily judge your pace at any time.

Carrier (Operative) 5:11 by JamesBong3333
https://youtu.be/gPtDhNOrW6o
This stage highlights the newly-discovered pause trick that loads rooms around you while you're out of bounds. You can see this in action at 3:12 in the video. This stage is not completely optimized yet, but I think it's still a good run because it highlights the new trick.

I just wanted to make this thread to highlight GoldenEye Wii speedruns and hopefully pique somebody else's interest in running this game. It's extremely different to the original GoldenEye but it's a great speedrun in its own way. If you have any questions about this game, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them. I can be easily contacted through twitter or twitch whispers/chat. (I always use the username FitterSpace)

DaisyFan

• GE
    • twitch
    • ILs Time SRC
Re: GoldenEye: 007 (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:01:02 AM »
Great thread Fitter! i recently joined this week, and so far the game is pretty enjoyable in speedrun, the Cutscene are pretty annoying, but you get use to in speedrun ILs at some points. at the moment i'm currently practicing Carrier hover to get use to. i'm probably gonna do some Carrier Operative attempts later on during the morning. I findout something during my attempts on Facility as well. https://clips.twitch.tv/FairGoldenJuiceTooSpicy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 07:11:40 AM by DaisyFan »

DaisyFan

• GE
    • twitch
    • ILs Time SRC
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »
Just recently did Facility Operative 7:46 on my stream. pretty sure it could be 7:45 at some point. just gonna work on my canceling.
Grats to Fitter for the new UWR on Airfield Operative as well. 2:53

DaisyFan

• GE
    • twitch
    • ILs Time SRC
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:05:10 AM »
Recently did a lot of grindings on Facility difficulties probably my best is 8:28 007 and 8:31 for 007 Classic. Just did on stream a sweet world pace for Agent, was pretty great. Facility (Agent 8:08)