Author Topic: The week of Goldeneye: Pre-planning  (Read 2272 times)

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
The week of Goldeneye: Pre-planning
« on: September 03, 2018, 05:24:55 pm »
Hello everybody! I played GE back in the day (I swear I have a faint memory of looking at this site sometime in the 90s). Anywho, inspired by Goose's series I thought it would be awesome to get involved myself. That said I have enough sense to see just how hard it is to compete at the high levels or even the medium-high levels. So I tried to think of something I could do that would be interesting. And then I came up with a fun idea. What if I, a person who hasn't played the game in well over 10 years but was ok at it as a child, dedicated a week of my life to just playing GE effectively non-stop and saw how high on the rankings I could get?

I'm not a wealthy person by any means but I discovered I had a lot of points on amazon that I had been accumulating for years on a credit card I never use. So rather than buy random things I put all those nearly 200 dollars worth of points towards buying all the equipment I think I'd need. I got an N64, GE, some A/V adapters for the compy, and hopefully I have enough to stream.

My (hopefully) reasonable goal is to get within the top 200 players in the week. I'd be super happy with getting in the top 150, and I'd be god-tier happy if I got under 100 or less but I know that would be nearly impossible.

I'm thinking of doing the week of goldeneye either late this month or sometime in Oct, but I need to start pre-planning now. obviously it's not viable to go for the top times but something like :53  dam agent seems very enticing. It's only when I get playing will I know if I'm being over ambitious, but anybody who's interested in helping me plan out what times are worth going for considering the limited window would be appreciated. Before I start I might make a list of every level and figure out which is the most-tied scores because those in theory would be the easiest for the points.

Planning out the whole week of attempts will be part of the fun so I welcome anybody to get involved if you are interested. I also understand it's the internet and people don't always follow-through on their promises so if you just want to stay back and wait until the actual week of GE starts, I don't blame you, and I'll bump this topic with updates.

The only requirements I'll have is I have to beat every level on every difficulty before I start bringing the times down.

Niiro Kitsune

• Have an Arabian night.
    • GE
    • twitch
Re: The week of Goldeneye: Pre-planning
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 05:35:22 pm »
Sounds like fun, have fun passing me on the rankings for sure
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 05:47:27 am »
I've been doing some investigation into which points are the "easiest" and I generated this helpful-ish graph:

Red dots are agent, blue dots are secret agent, green dots are 00 agent. What is represented on the bottom is what "rank" a person is (meaning if there were 20 other people tied or better than you then you are ranked 21st) and on the y axis is how many points you get. The idea being that the more people tie for a certain amount of points the more theoretically easy it is.

If my goal is to optimize the amount of points i can get in a week then I'm probably going to (after my full game run) just go in descending order of "point easiness" = (points-(98-(lowestTiedRank)).

Dam agent for example is probably the best point value because if you tie the person in 162nd you still get 97 points which means the level has a "point easiness" of 97-(98-(162)) = 163

List of all levels with a "Point Easiness" of over 100:
Dam - Agent
('Time: 54', 'Points: 97', 'LTR: 163', 'Point Easiness: 162')
Runway - Agent
('Time: 23', 'Points: 100', 'LTR: 120', 'Point Easiness: 122')
Runway - Secret Agent
('Time: 24', 'Points: 77', 'LTR: 161', 'Point Easiness: 140')
Bunker 1 - Agent
('Time: 18', 'Points: 97', 'LTR: 128', 'Point Easiness: 127')
Archives - Agent
('Time: 17', 'Points: 95', 'LTR: 122', 'Point Easiness: 119')
Streets - Agent
('Time: 75', 'Points: 2', 'LTR: 200', 'Point Easiness: 104')
Depot - Agent
('Time: 27', 'Points: 32', 'LTR: 178', 'Point Easiness: 112')

Depotnoir

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 05:52:21 am »
The only requirements I'll have is I have to beat every level on every difficulty before I start bringing the times down.

That would probably be my week tbh

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 06:39:42 am »
this sounds epic

good luck, I'm keen to follow this progress
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Gelonidres

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 10:50:12 am »
If my goal is to optimize the amount of points i can get in a week then I'm probably going to (after my full game run) just go in descending order of "point easiness" = (points-(98-(lowestTiedRank)).

While that statistic is a nice hint as to which levels are easy high-pointers, you should consider how overplayed some levels are. Levels with point easiness > 110 are (or were) overplayed because they are (were) the easiest world records to get in the game. Meaning, it will probably take longer to get Dam 54 than to get 20 points on five underplayed levels with lower point easiness.

Also take into account level similarity. It will take some time to get used to whichever level you decide to get points on. Some levels however play out fairly similar on different difficulties, meaning that if you are able to get points on one difficulty, your chances of getting points on the other difficulties are quite good. Thus, you can increase your skill on several levels by grinding a single one. Examples for this are Statue, Egypt, Streets SA+00A or Archives SA+00A. I think this is the way to go if you want to farm as many points as possible in one week. More seasoned players can hopefully give input on which of these levels would be the easiest to get into.

Make sure you read this topic before you start running:
A Beginner's Guide to Speedrunning Goldeneye

Good luck!

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 10:10:15 pm »
Ok, I spent way too long but I used the data I combed with python and wrote a javascript page where by updating the times it automatically calculates my total time and total points:

For now it's hosted here:
https://jlsnell.github.io/

That should make it more fun to track my progress as I go. I've run out of excuses to put this off. So I really really really hope to start tomorrow.

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 11:42:38 pm »
nice stuff, would be cool if the combing was automatic

KevinDDR

• PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 08:07:59 am »
Is there any chance that you would be interested in working on a version of this with data updatability and support for Perfect Dark? I could pay you if you were interested, as I have a feeling that having access to something like this would make for some really fun 2-3 hour "get as many points as you can in a fixed time" races!

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 09:09:38 am »
I actually tried doing automatic updating for it last night. But as I thought there's a technical issue where browsers don't let you do something called "Cross-origin request". I can write the code to do it, but no browser will let you do it. Something I could do pretty easily is make a python program for Goldeneye or PD where you run it once and then it automatically generates an html page like this with the most updated data for that game. So what could be done is at the start of the race you generate the html race score card and then everybody just uses that for the race because probably not a lot of WR's will change over the hours of the race.

KevinDDR

• PD
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 10:58:15 am »
Yeah, that would be perfect!

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 11:59:08 pm »
It begins! I'm live:
https://www.twitch.tv/mrmoxie

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 07:57:55 am »
After a 24 hour of playtime "warm up" I have beaten every level and gotten all cheats. Now I'm setting my sights on the "easiest points" [178, 'Depot - Agent,Time: 26,Points: 31']

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 12:42:42 am »
Yesterday was interesting got Bunker Agent 1:18 as well as the Aztec earthquake glitch

Day 3 begins now

TheFlash

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 12:59:55 am »
Yesterday was interesting got Bunker Agent 1:18 as well as the Aztec earthquake glitch

Day 3 begins now

Dude, are you streaming this stuff? You're not on the board top. You have to post your Twitch name on this topic and then wait for a moderator to approve you:

https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=16951.0

Best of luck on your journey!!

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 07:53:48 am »
What's the Aztec earthquake glitch?
90+ hrs into XC2 NG+, going for 100%. Be back when I get bored.

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:31 pm »

Day 3 begins now

Dude, are you streaming this stuff? You're not on the board top. You have to post your Twitch name on this topic and then wait for a moderator to approve you:

https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=16951.0

Best of luck on your journey!!

Thanks, yeah I posted the link a couple posts before that. Anyway I responded to that topic too, per your advice.

I'm settling in on this for the week's goal Goal 1: Get at least some ponits, ANY points. honestly if the whole week goes by and I can't get any points that's pretty bad. Goal 2: Get points form Depot A (I'm 2 seconds off), Bunker 1 A (I'm 1 second off), and Streets SA (I'm 2 seconds off) if I did all three then I'd say the week was a pretty dang good success.  I was going to put some time into dam agent, but that random door is lame, plus I'm not great and long straight lines without visual cues.

I don't know that I'll do all through day 7 on the timer, because some of the days have involved me pulling an all nighter so 1 day of goldeneye is 2 normal human days.

What's the Aztec earthquake glitch?

It's really crazy, apparently some people have heard of it, but I googled it and couldn't find an example so if nothing else I might have the first youtube footage of that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:23:09 pm by MrMoxie »

MrMoxie

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 01:14:40 am »
Today is "Day 5" and I feel like today should be the day I finally get points:
Check me out and give me tips if you are interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/mrmoxie

TheFlash

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 01:55:50 am »
Too late for me but good luck!