Author Topic: The Legends of Goldeneye and R White Goose  (Read 857 times)

TheLastKnight

The Legends of Goldeneye and R White Goose
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:33:02 am »
  My friends

Hi, I'm new to the forum.. My name is Austin, I'm from Liverpool, England.

Firstly, I'm unsure if this is the right board to post this, so if not, please point me in the right direction.

I've never played Goldeneye competitively, only casualy as a child, but thanks to Ryan White and his 'Speedlore' series, I have learned so much, while being fascinated by the skills, talent, dedication and sheer determination of the players over the years. Just being a part of this website alongside names like Brian Bosshardt, Karl Jobst, Henning Blom and even Ryan himself is almost surreal..

I am honestly in awe of the players on these leaderboards who, in most cases, have spent more hours of their life than not gradually grinding down the times and optimising each level to almost impossible times.

So I made an account and this post simply to say I have been amongst literally some of the best video game players in the world, and to thank Ryan in particular, for opening this crazy world to me. Stories like the man, the myth, the egomaniac 4-yr-old champion Cowen Hames, the harrowing tale of the anger-filled destruction of the runs that were apparently lost forever, then found, then lost again, and each rollercoaster ride the levels of Goldeneye provided, told impeccably by Ryan in his wonderful, fairytale-like way. These are the stories that opened my eyes to this life, and will stay with me forever..

Thanks for all your work on this game, and here's to many more years of records and comradery.

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
Re: The Legends of Goldeneye and R White Goose
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 06:33:37 am »
We're all just people mate.

TheLastKnight

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 08:14:26 am »
We're all just people mate.

I know that of course, I just appreciate the time it takes to be the best in the world at something.. there are 7.5 billion other 'just people' they have to be better than.. I don't know, it just amazes me.. I apologise if I'm fanboying too much :/

iriebutler

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 03:56:00 pm »
Wow the elite really grew since I last checked, didn't know we had 7.5 billion players :v
*Inventor of thumb condoms*

Botched Movie Quotes

• Frankly, my dear, I don't care
    • Karl
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 04:59:32 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.
*Creator of 'waiting half a sec more cutscene' on b2 agent*
*Creator of 'bounce boost' on streets agent*
*Creator of 'strafe change laser skip' on inves*

TheLastKnight

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 05:58:12 pm »
Karl my man, it's a pleasure!

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 10:36:24 pm »
Thank you bro, makes me happy that finally after 10+ years of degeneracy I've figured out a way to make this all worthwhile and meaningful to many people.
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 11:42:16 pm »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

TheLastKnight

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 04:13:50 pm »
Thank you bro, makes me happy that finally after 10+ years of degeneracy I've figured out a way to make this all worthwhile and meaningful to many people.

Your videos tell some incredible stories, and the research and time you spend putting them together really shows.. The way you tell them, the obvious passion and love you have for the game is compelling, and really shows that anything, even something as supposedly trivial as a 20 yr old video game can really mean something to people, and bring them together to bond over a mutual love of gaming.

I know that to some people, this post is a little weird, but just like Goldeneye is important to you guys, being a part of this, and thanking everyone who has played a part, no matter how small, in making the history of this game so fascinating is important to me. After watching all of Ryan's videos, the people featured almost become like characters in a movie, you begin to care about their goals.. So being able to personally thank them and be involved in the very thing I've grown to love because of them, is something I find kind of magical.

So Ryan, thank you for taking the time to tell these stories, and I won't lie, when I saw you'd replied, it kinda made my day!

JDBlack21

• Dizzle™
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • YouTube page
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 04:46:07 pm »
Wow a wholesome thread for once  :nesquik:
Discord: @JDBlack#9593

Lima

• 3v1 Complex/Library Any Weapons
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 03:45:12 am »
I feel compelled to strongly agree with what TheLastKnight said... like some "ESPN The Magazine" feature on a long-lost or unknown sports epic, the story of GoldenEye 007 speedrunning is a complex, layered, fascinating journey into years (decades now) of Internet history that crosses paths with dozens of lives and what has become tens of thousands of interested fans... the true "Elite" of The-Elite really is a "movie," with plot twists and intriguing characters and all, as TheLastKnight opined.

It's been a blast the last 20 years, who know what the next 20 will bring, and what people twenty years from now who just discover this community and game will think about it?!