Author Topic: introducing "goldeneye recall" - sync runs in real time  (Read 1657 times)

learninglab

• GE
    • twitch
introducing "goldeneye recall" - sync runs in real time
« on: October 07, 2018, 08:06:54 pm »
yo. goldeneye recall automatically syncs up a reference video with every attempt. this version should be syncing within .1 of a second and works on 32bit and 64bit obs. check out the tutorial here:

and heres a short video of it in action:

download:
https://github.com/Trifectuh/GoldenEyeRecall/releases/tag/v0.2.3
https://www.openshot.org/

so yeah basically, trim up your vid, open the vid and obs, start ge recall. (make sure nothing is covering obs)

please post any bugs or issues here. i think the responsiveness of the sync may be based on computer performance but i'm not sure. i'd be interested in hearing about your guys' sync times. to check, you can record a bit, then advance frame in vlc (e) to see the sync.

here's access to a google drive folder for some vids to get you started:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uXbNEcEfk2A9GUJWgsAAY6odgpDhBb_m

there is also a vid of 5 min timer. can trim it up and use it to check pace or time runs in real time.

I think this could be a great addition to any stream, and could have some potential to help people improve by easily being able to compare runs.
if you have any ideas let me know, i'd like to make it even more accurate if we can.
shouts out to my brother, trifectuh for whipping up the code.

debrebeuf

• debrebeuf
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: introducing "goldeneye recall" - sync runs in real time
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:35:26 pm »
Hey I got it working, but I needed firewall to allow vic to work with public and private networks (win10).  Before that, it said it couldn’t find vlc over http.  After trying to get it working a few times, firewall came up and asked me if I wanted to allow vlc to work on private networks, and I said yes.  Immediately, the program started working.
ps: dont read this ^

debrebeuf

• debrebeuf
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 11:20:21 pm »
Used it a bit more and got these results on Egypt.  My capture card is also pretty wonky, so idk.
The egypt hallway was too dark and made it reset, but what can you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I tried adjusting the brightness, but always either got it too bright where it wouldn't detect the start, or too dark that it would detect a dark spot on the wall.

https://youtu.be/rfEgWpaBK2Q/

Description Reads:

"
https://forums.the-elite.net/index.ph...
v0.2.3

These are my test runs, and Egypt doesn't work well.  Might be my stream layout, but I don't know.

1st is with original brightness
2nd is with the lowest brightness I could get without it breaking at hallway
3rd is highest brightness I could get without missing cutscene lead-in
"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:36:23 am by debrebeuf »

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 11:33:38 pm »
It works great!

One suggestion I have is can you have a real-time timer in the console output (perhaps with an offset or something) that would be nice to highlight on stream I think? (this is also is achievable with also just adding a timer in the reference video)
Daniel Wodahs-Relklaw Coelho

learninglab

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »
thanks for the feedback, debrebeuf. good to know about the firewall thing. didn't think about that. yeah it seems that right now there is not much we can do about the egypt hall unfortunately. i had similar issues with depot starting late. on the console you can see that when the screen is black it says like 8.6-8.87 or something, as soon as it goes above 8.9 it will start, and as soon as it goes below that it will reset. so egypt hallway is almost pure black it seems. i will talk to my bro about it. unfortunate for sure. btw your stream layout is perfect.

wohahs, thats a good idea. i talked with my brother and he said he will implement a timer. as well as make the console window a little bit more manageable on boot. for now adding a timer or using that vid of the timer i linked in the google drive should work. im not sure about having multiple vlc windows open... will have to test that.

i played with it a bunch today and it seems pretty good.

try testing out different window sizes as well....

so update!
i found that the sensitivity for the black was actually set to 10. so i brought it down to 9, which makes the program sync up even faster. (im getting syncing on frame 5 which is less than .1) my bro will drop a new one with the timer and this updated sensitivity in the github later this week. right now you can find it in the google drive. (ge recall 0.2.3 hotfix) (let me know if you cant dl)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uXbNEcEfk2A9GUJWgsAAY6odgpDhBb_m?usp=sharing

debrebeuf, im curious if this updated sensitivity will help in the egypt hallway. let me know

debrebeuf

• debrebeuf
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:15:24 pm »
i can’t try it tonight.  tomorrow I will.  if anyone does it in mean time, i’ll probably still do it because i want to see it work with my crazy capture card.
peace

debrebeuf

• debrebeuf
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 07:09:23 pm »
oof very close

Got some better results, but found another rough spot. 
Throughout, I adjust OBS filters of brightness, gamma, contrast

I don't know how the program detects the game exactly, but imo for dark levels, a sensor that looks for a bright green box around the input might be necessary for dark levels (so it'd know that there are still bright/colorful parts on the input (1:12)). 

However, as said before, I don't know the program works exactly, and what I just mentioned might need a rework of the whole program.  I am not complaining or anything, as it is free labor.  No one is letting anybody down here

KfP1995

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 05:03:05 pm »
Hey man this is great but i keep getting this issue idk if its my setup or what but every so often VLC will go bigger and the video will freeze but still be running if you get me?
Heres a clip of it happening
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoringNeighborlyDadOSsloth

KfP1995

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 02:26:09 pm »
NVM post above

debrebeuf

• debrebeuf
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 10:02:25 pm »
also, used on some other levels.  If i plow through a guard, and their black clothing takes up screen for frame, then it resets.  can’t be helped tho

learninglab

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »
sorry for the late replies, guys. been pretty busy. unfortunately so has my bro, so no release just yet. ive been using the one on the google drive just fine.

here are my settings for my gv usb 2 which i havn't had any resets due to darkness:
Spoiler

debrebeuf, I noticed that as well. its kind of a trade off, snappy beginning vs setting the buffer a bit higher so the program doesnt react to very short instances of black like that. it happens seldom enough that i think its fine.

kfp, i hope you got it figured out. not sure what you meant by "nvm post above" but im using vlc version 3.0.3 vetinari and have not had issues. tharixer reported a freezing issue on 3.0.4 where vlc will just freeze on a frame while still playing the run in the background and start again in sync like midway though the run. im wondering if my bro could maybe make a ge recall specific version of vlc using the source code or something to help fix these issues.

Wouter Jansen

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014RankingsDev
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 03:52:42 pm »
cool tool :)
sexy, this