Author Topic: War SA/PA Open Door Strat Guide  (Read 422 times)

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
War SA/PA Open Door Strat Guide
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:01:42 pm »
The open door strategy for War is quite old as many other players in the past have come up with the same idea, but what is new is the methodology. I have a few scattered posts and videos about this, and thought that it would be worthwhile to compile everything into one thread for both guidance and future research.

The idea behind the open door strat is the ramp door leading to the bridge over the first King is normally locked, but if a Skedar spawns above, it can open it. Normally while the first King is still alive, Skedar will only spawn along the bottom area nearby the first King. However, Skedar are unable to spawn if you are facing their spawn location, and instead will spawn somewhere else, which happens to be on the upper area. So the strategy involves running to the corner just before the first King, then leaving once a Skedar has spawned above. We won't be able to know when it spawns, so we use the timer to rough out when to leave.

Skedar also respawn on a cycle and there can only be 4 at a time, so we have to kill some along the way. The Skedar all have a respawn cycle that checks if they're dead, and if so, respawns them. Ideally, we would want the respawn to occur as soon as we arrive at the corner so that we can leave immediately. For killing the first Skedar to get your Mauler, you can either use Z->BZ for a safer kill, or just use multiple explosive shots for the nice splash damage. In my testing, I've found that killing the 1st Skedar and then the 5th Skedar (the 1st respawn) leads to the best chances of getting a fairly fast open door. Killing more, particularly the 4th one, also helps improve odds. Perhaps other patterns could yield better results though, especially when combined with Phoenix self-boosting.

Once you reach the corner, you can leave as early as ~26.15 (assuming 1st+5th Skedar kills), or wait longer for a greater chance you'll be leaving after a Skedar has respawned above. Assuming the first door is still open for you though, you are capped in speed up to how fast the Skedar opens the locked door, so it may be optimal to wait extra long and lose essentially none of that time after. I suggest around ~26.60 is a good balance. Try to be in full speed on the leave if possible too. The advantage of the strategy is we leave the first King area as soon as we arrive, are capped in speed so we don't need to do Phoenix self-boosting or worry about perfect luck early on (particularly with the first door), and it's very easy to execute. Time lost occurs by having extra lag when approaching the ramp, and essentially needing to C-up the bridge instead of strafing it in order to consistently kill the first King. Because we kill him later, we also change up when and where Skedar will spawn next as spawning locations change when the first King dies, in particular, the door after the bridge will always be closed.

Here's my War SA 0:47 with the strategy, with no QB shot.
Here's my War PA 0:55. I also had a 0:54 run where I died after killing the third King (run away forward, not to the side by the way). And for more footage, here's a 0:56 death.
Flicker also achieved War LTK 0:52, which matches the speed of Karl's current PA untied (though of course, LTK is much easier with kills).
Finally, here's an SA run where I reached the double doors before the second King at the same pace as Karl on his untied 0:44. With the different layout timing of Skedar respawning though, it may be harder to get the doors fully open.

Overall, the normal strategy with superb luck and top-level player skill will give you faster runs, but the open door strategy allows you to get better runs more consistently if you're worse, but at least good enough to make the pace to the corner. I would recommend this strategy for SA 0:46-0:50 or so, and for PA 0:54-0:58 or so, but as said, it hasn't been fully researched in an exhaustive manner, so perhaps it could be made to be even faster and better.

More people should use it and test it in my opinion! :v
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:12:48 pm by Icy »

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
Re: War SA/PA Open Door Strat Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:58:12 pm »
good stuff, also I'd like to add something to mentioned to me before by you today that isn't in this guide

leaving at 27.4 is apparently the most consistent way to do it while not sacrificing a ton of speed, I always thought it was 27.00 lol

Icy

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014SilverStar
    • 2015SilverStar
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:10:57 pm »
I was off on that due to bad recollection. Leave at around 26.00ish at fastest, but more realistically around 26.35 or later. There is no specific time that gives the best chances, it's simply that as more time passes, the more likely the Skedar will have spawned.

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 09:03:32 pm »
sKeDaR AlSo rEsPaWn oN A CyClE AnD ThErE CaN OnLy bE 4 At a tImE, sO We hAvE To kIlL SoMe aLoNg tHe wAy.

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 09:36:29 pm »
i StOoD aT tHe CoRnEr fOr TeN yEaRs AnD A mAiAn kIlLeD a SkEdAr WhIcH cAuSeD a ReSpAwN.

ftfy

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 10:28:23 pm »
i StOoD aT tHe CoRnEr fOr TeN yEaRs AnD A mAiAn kIlLeD a SkEdAr WhIcH cAuSeD a ReSpAwN.

ftfy
:nesquik:

Guado

• Guado
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 05:57:43 am »
Just unlocked war and wanted to get a sub 100 SA time. I always remembered watching this and people killing the first King from above (also thought it was Skedar ruins at the time).

Cool.
90+ hrs into XC2 NG+, going for 100%. Be back when I get bored.