Author Topic: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Rare WR Database now part of the-elite.net!  (Read 1077 times)

TheFlash

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Rare WR Database now part of the-elite.net!
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »
Hey everyone, cool news. The Rare WR Database is now part of the-elite.net.

You can find it at its new location,

https://wrs.the-elite.net

The Rare WR Database is still maintained and operated by Quentin and Greg, just at a new location on the web.

Derek and I approached Quentin and Greg with the idea of moving the site over to the-elite.net and they were very receptive.  Quentin did most of the work of transferring the site and Greg is working as hard as ever to keep all those WRs up to date.

So I'd like to give a huge thanks to them for working with us on this and bringing this great resource more in line with the rest of our site. Thanks guys!

Now that they share a common place on the web, we can at least start to think about things like minor updates or integrations with other parts of the-elite.net.  Quentin and Greg will still be totally in charge of the WR site but if you all have ideas for them, I'm sure they would welcome any feedback you might have.

I should also thank Derek for giving this project a thumbs-up in the first place!

-----

Since the site has undergone a few changes in the process of moving over, there is a chance you may find some portion of it not working as expected.  If you could report anything that seems amiss in this topic, that would be very much appreciated.

Ngamer

• Swagger Personified
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • thengamer.com
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Rare WR Database now part of the-elite.net!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 06:03:58 am »
Thanks boys, it's looking good!
thengamer. com

Shadow

• The American Shadow
    • GE
    • PD
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:23:10 pm »
Great news, I always love looking through the WR database and having it "in-house" is awesome.

silver angel

• eternal apprentice
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 07:41:24 am »
Hey guys,

I haven't posted here in years (almost decade), so yeah sorry for that...
Anyway, I wanted to say that I've updated the pages of the WR DB so as to reflect the current style of the-elite.net

Do not hesitate to report if anything is going wrong. I've let the old pages at the following address:
https://wrs.the-elite.net/old-look/

--

• I'll be the backboost starring in your bad dreams
    • Goose
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2014CommunityContributor
    • http://www.twitch.tv/rwhitegoose
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:36:55 pm »
Nice to see you Quentin, and hope you have been well!
~ S T A Y ❄ T R U E ~   |   ~ S T A Y ❄ B L E S S E D ~   |   Verax Maneret

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:31:10 am »
i saw this the other day - wanted to say great job with it

& Thank YOu for keeping a link to the original graphics

The original graphics have a nice charm that'll be hard to get over
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

silver angel

• eternal apprentice
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 03:43:00 pm »
Hey,

Goose: thanks, yeah I've been well and pretty busy over the last years... it's cool to see you're still here too!

Luke: yeah thanks, I wanted to do this for a long time, but only found the courage recently, with the site moving and all that. Btw, I saw you're now #1 at Goldeneye, awesome job! I remember seeing you arriving on the elite... that's quite a time! (And also, as I've been checking and fixing url links a lot recently while moving/rewriting the pages, I couldn't help noticing your GE link below your name is invalid ;) )

Gelonidres

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:15:23 pm »
There is a bug on the combined (untied) duration for single levels. The tables for SA and 00A will get cut off if they have more entries than A.

This can be seen on the page for combined untied duration on Runway, here. The column for 00A only shows three players, but there should be eight, as you can see when viewing the page with old look. The players after the third are not shown, presumably because the table is cut after the Agent column is filled up. It works fine when the Agent column has more entries than the others, as can be seen on Facility.

This is also the issue for the normal WR combined duration, as can be seen on Statue (for comparison: old look). The cutoffs also happen on the PD and Rare rankings, and also on the LTK rankings if LTK has fewer entries than DLTK (see Bunker 1). Interestingly, it only happens for the combined duration pages as far as I can tell.

Also, the links on most level overviews are messed up. They work, but are unnecessarily long. For example, if you click on the direct link to Duel here (NOT the one in the sidebar, the one in the main frame), the link is
"https://wrs.the-elite.net/rare/alltimerecordslevel.php?level=1&level=2&level=3&level=4&level=5&level=6&level=7&level=8&level=9&level=10&level=11&level=12&level=13&level=14&level=15&level=16&level=17&level=18&level=19&level=20&level=21&level=22&level=23&level=24&level=25&level=26&level=27&level=28&level=29&level=30&level=31&level=32&level=33&level=34&level=35&level=36&level=37&level=38&level=39&level=40&level=41"
when just "https://wrs.the-elite.net/rare/alltimerecordslevel.php?level=41" is enough. This happens everyhwere where there is a level overview, except on the WR tables.

silver angel

• eternal apprentice
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 02:42:28 am »
Gelonidres: thanks for this feedback! Apparently, I haven't been fixing url links enough :rollin:
I'll take care of this tonight or tomorrow.

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 08:54:56 am »
Looking great Quentin, thanks a bunch!

Huzi

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 07:13:22 pm »
Thank You, Quentin

Imperfect Clark

• Clark
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015RankingsDev
    • https://twitter.com/theelitedotnet
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 08:41:24 pm »
The WRDB has been one of the most underappreciated endeavors in the Elite's history, and a great example of the kind of attitude and passion that built the Elite. Thank you Quentin for your original undertaking + thank you to (my personal friend) Greg Woll for the work you did to help carry it further.
Derek Clark

"i'm 1.1 in my hart, u know that" - Matthijs ten Ham.

Alka Maass

• Defense Strat Maasster
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 08:51:07 pm »
agreed with clark, always would read through it a ton when bored

silver angel

• eternal apprentice
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 04:38:34 am »
The bugs mentioned by Gelonidres should be fixed.

Axel, Huzi, Derek, and Alka Maas: Thanks for the kind words. Actually, when I first wanted to make this, I thought we were on the end of Goldeneye and PD getting new WR, and was miles away from supposing it would require such a work for getting the DB up to date. To me, it seemed we had more or less reached the max times, and therefore players would lose interest in the game. I was wrong all the way, and fortunately Greg has been doing an awesome job for tracking all the records with such a regularity (what I wouldn't have been able to do). As I've probably said, what motivated me at the start was to revive the "BBWJ" golden era (typically end of January 2005), but now it has a lot more to show indeed!

I've still got a few ideas for improvements, and the next target on my list is to improve the page "All Time Records". I'll try to do it tonight If I get back from work early enough, otherwise this week-end.

Gelonidres

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 11:05:52 am »
The table cutoffs seem to be fixed, thanks a lot!

The long level links (LLL) still appear here, here, here and here though.

Looking forward to the improved All Time Records page!

silver angel

• eternal apprentice
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 05:12:12 pm »
Indeed... sorry for that, they're all fixed.

The new All Time page is up. Basicaly, the differences are:
- The tied and untied records are differentiated for each level (a player who had an untied record only appear in the "Untied" part)
- The rankings table now allows to switch between three modes (tied & untied, untied only, or disregarding the untied nature of records, as previously)

Also, I did an attempt in changing the display of the initials to have them aligned, more spaced and also more per line. If people don't like it, I can switch back to the original display.