Author Topic: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Jimbo out, Wodahs in as Forum and Rankings Admin  (Read 1266 times)

Jimbo

• Elite Historian
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2016RankingsDev
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Jimbo out, Wodahs in as Forum and Rankings Admin
« on: December 07, 2018, 01:30:13 am »
As of tonight, I am resigning as rankings and forum administrator. My replacement will be Dan Coelho. Best of luck Wodahs mate :)

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Jimbo out, Wodahs in as Forum and Rankings Admin
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 01:31:55 am »
wtf
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

TheFlash

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:33:28 am »
Thanks so much Jimbo, you have been in charge of keeping the site together for so many years. The membership of both the forums and rankings grew **tremendously** while you were in charge.

End of an era!

Hope you stay around, life might be easier now.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 01:39:09 am »
Not that I'm against Wodahs as a replacement, but where is the process for the next up??
Snap decisions like this are what crested animosity towards people like Karl and half the council.

TheFlash

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:56:44 am »
Not that I'm against Wodahs as a replacement, but where is the process for the next up??

Jimbo held both of these positions by being handed them from the previous guy, the forum one is for sure distinct and separate from the Elite Council and he 100% has the right to step back from that and pick a (temporary, to start with) replacement.

That job is to be in charge of the moderation team here, keep the community alive, and provide an official place for everyone to participate in the community.

As far as the rankings admin goes, he can also resign that at any time and he chose a representative from the Elite Council as a temporary replacement.

This job is a bit confusing but it seems to be a person who has to make "special decisions" of the day-to-day variety. Like if a user requested some change on their profile that the normal proof moderator (whose only job is moderating proof) would not handle. It doesn't mean he can just do whatever he wants and override the Elite Council on big decisions.

Basically, if Jim steps down, someone needs to be immediately in charge. Wodahs accepted both of these large responsibilities and will work to coordinate the future of both these positions, a considerable undertaking. It's quite likely that he will not retain both positions indefinitely.

Also, both of these roles still definitely answer to Derek Clark, owner and founder of the-elite.net.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:43:54 am by TheFlash »

Wodahs-Reklaw

• Wodahs
    • GE
    • twitch
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 02:02:39 am »
Thank you Jim for the best wishes.

I will do my best to serve the community.  :smiley:
Daniel Wodahs-Relklaw Coelho

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 02:13:23 am »
Thanks Daniel 😁

Scott, I think it's a bit goofy to say that proof moderation is isolated. While yes, only concerning myself with proof in GoldenEye is "the job", I think it's more realistic and fair to say that because there is such a small team of rankings administrators (for obvious good reason), the overall responsibilities are more shared than you'd think. This isn't a complaint, by the way. I and others who are not Jim have also assisted players in name alterations, accepting new players, denying troll accounts, backing up videos, reallocating videos to other channels, re-linking videos, etc. The list goes on.
I just wanted to clarify that.

The rest of what you said makes sense. However, it comes off as a snap decision and having a clear heirarchy or updated council/staff list would be highly benecifial, imo.

TheFlash

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 02:29:09 am »
having a clear heirarchy or updated council/staff list would be highly benecifial, imo.

https://rankings.the-elite.net/staff

Done, and with some new flavor as well.

If you're not comfortable with the idea of having a temporary replacement immediately in place when the absolute leader steps down, I'm not quite sure what the alternatives are.  Remember, this is temporary, Wodahs may end up taking one or both of these roles permanently but for now he will be leading a transitional period. It is a really big job and he has volunteered his time and energy. I fully trust him to do the best job he possibly can.

If he can't work something out within a few weeks then someone else can help, but this seems like a very positive development overall.

Scott, I think it's a bit goofy to say that proof moderation is isolated. While yes, only concerning myself with proof in GoldenEye is "the job", I think it's more realistic and fair to say that because there is such a small team of rankings administrators (for obvious good reason), the overall responsibilities are more shared than you'd think.

If you have additional duties that you're both capable of and happy to help people with, you should list them on the staff page so users know who to go to! I was just going by the listings on the staff page, certainly don't mean to imply that your job is easy.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:36:22 am by TheFlash »

Huzi

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:40:50 am »
Thank You for everything, Jimbo   :D

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 03:06:14 am »
Wow! New staff page looks beautiful  :D
Fair point about going by what was mentioned on the staff page. Thanks for updating!!

And nononono, I'm perfectly fine with Wodahs taking on the responsibility. It seemed like a shock/sudden move on Jim's part to up and leave. There was no context, just a "kbye". Jim can of course choose whomever he wishes to replace him.

Luke

• Zero-Time P.O.M.
    • Luke
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 03:27:43 am »
Thanks Jim for all the work you've done over the years. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

Good initiative stepping up Daniel, especially coinciding with your new job position etc. Hopefully this stuff is not too much of a distraction.

I think in this case it was purely Jim's decision  as to how he decided to step down from his role(s).

This isn't a snap decision worth making a fuss over - unlike the recent snap decision to reinstate bu7. They're not comparable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:42:42 am by Elite Top 5s »
LAS

#TeamLevelRotation

Selenium Webdriver

• Ace
    • 2017RankingsDev
    • 2017CommunityContributor
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 10:00:22 am »
Yes, but it's good and professional to provide a notice period. This time we were lucky Wodahs was around - but what if he was vacationing abroad?

TheFlash

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 11:37:09 am »
Yes, but it's good and professional to provide a notice period. This time we were lucky Wodahs was around - but what if he was vacationing abroad?

We have multiple people with the capability to do everything the rankings administrator can do in the event that he is unable to do something that needs doing. On the forums side we have a team of moderators who can handle day-to-day tasks and two additional users with administrator rights who can handle a transition if there is no next candidate immediately ready. I think we're pretty good on that front?

Hypnotoad

• GE
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 10:47:37 am »
having a clear heirarchy or updated council/staff list would be highly benecifial, imo.

This looks pretty cool, but wouldn't it be good to list the webmaster/site owner as well (is that you?), at least under the notable mentions?

TheFlash

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 01:36:29 pm »

This looks pretty cool, but wouldn't it be good to list the webmaster/site owner as well (is that you?), at least under the notable mentions?

Derek is already listed. I am not even a member of this rankings site.

Hypnotoad

• GE
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 01:50:31 pm »

Derek is already listed. I am not even a member of this rankings site.

If he's still the owner then perhaps it could be updated to something like "founder and webmaster" or something, "founder" on it its own, under the "honourable mentions" section, sorta makes it seem like he has since passed on ownership.

Also am surprised you don't have any apparent formal role, wouldn't you put yourself down as something like "site maintenance" or something?

Shadow

• The American Shadow
    • GE
    • PD
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 01:56:00 pm »
Flash for Supreme Grandmaster Poobah, 2019!

TheFlash

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 02:38:12 pm »
If he's still the owner then perhaps it could be updated to something like "founder and webmaster" or something, "founder" on it its own, under the "honourable mentions" section, sorta makes it seem like he has since passed on ownership.

He's intentionally not listed as webmaster on the rankings page because the rankings administrator role is responsible for handling issues players have in regular operations there.

Derek would be listed as webmaster/owner elsewhere on the site such as pages under "www.the-elite.net", but most of those pages are either no longer present or present but not linked to since he nuked the old homepage several years ago.  If/when some of that content is restored you would see him there. He still handles email to contact@t-e.n.

Just remember that the rankings site is just one part of the-elite.net and Derek is not involved in day-to-day operations.

Also am surprised you don't have any apparent formal role, wouldn't you put yourself down as something like "site maintenance" or something?

Think of me as something more like "life support" -- when everyone else breaks down, abandons ship, runs away, has a bad year, etc., I make sure the site is still running. And I try my hardest to not get involved beyond that because then suddenly there are "responsibilities"....my primary concern is longevity....