Author Topic: Post Obscure Happenings here  (Read 55588 times)

Kyto

• i love being mentally challenged
    • GE
    • twitch
Re: Post Obscure Happenings here
« Reply #650 on: June 14, 2018, 03:29:42 AM »
Not sure if this guard was inside the wall or behind the corner but was pretty surprised to see him suddenly pop out.

Kyto

• i love being mentally challenged
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #651 on: June 17, 2018, 02:10:04 PM »
Anyone got an idea what happened here?

flicker

• Shadows of the Empire N64 World Champion
    • Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #652 on: June 17, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Yeah I know what happened. He ran the wrong way. As for why, no idea, but have seen vids of this a few times before (never personally experienced) so it's just a pretty rare occurance.

JDBlack21

• A Keen Eye™
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • YouTube page
« Reply #653 on: June 17, 2018, 10:29:05 PM »
Wow, in the past week, both Nat AND Trev decide to go in different directions.

e1ght

• Kyle
    • GE
« Reply #654 on: June 29, 2018, 03:04:24 AM »
I let my brother have a go on dam agent, and he could barely move through the level because he wasn't used to the controls. (was also on 2.2)

Somehow he managed to have this happen:

Not sure if this is common or not, but I haven't seen it before.

Joris

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #655 on: June 30, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
This happened the 02/06/2018 during a Runway SA attempt, i threw a grenade, we can hear that the battery blew up, but there is no cutscene so i thought it was a TNS and then i saw that objective B failed. (objective B is blowing up the battery).

JDBlack21

• A Keen Eye™
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • YouTube page
« Reply #656 on: June 30, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
It probably just blew up the oil barrel right next to the battery. I've had that happen before.

LQwerty

• I try.
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #657 on: June 30, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »
Missed the console on a trev kill but it blew up on it's own somehow. :thinking:

Why you reading this?

iriebutler

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #658 on: July 01, 2018, 06:39:07 AM »
Had a 35 like that myself. That's why I was trying the untied strat for the meme of just killing Trev and running straight out hoping they blew it up for me. But getting damage on it yourself and running by it must give a much higher chance for them to blow it up cause it's happened to many especially recently with everyone playing cradle
*Inventor of thumb condoms*

JDBlack21

• A Keen Eye™
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • YouTube page
« Reply #659 on: July 02, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
I don't know how many instances of this there are now (especially non-TAS) but I just got one of these today:

mw

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #660 on: July 02, 2018, 06:28:22 PM »
please jd, this is not obscure and we know why it happens

https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=855.msg446736#msg446736
PD Proof Moderator

KfP1995

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch

Joris

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #662 on: July 09, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
This happened the 02/06/2018 just after a train session

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #663 on: July 10, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »
Was this not just recently posted? lol

I feel like I've seen this too recently.
"Train smarter, not harder" -Mike O'Hearn
GoldenEye Proof Moderator as of February 2015

Joris

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #664 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »
This happened the 14/07/2018 (a few minutes ago)
I never saw natalya so close to this computer, at first i thought that it was because i paused but i paused here on a bunch of runs and she never did this before.

Joris

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #665 on: July 13, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »
ok i had a similar run where i did some pause buffer at the same moment as when i paused on the vid and she did the same thing, so i think it's just natalya being confused by pauses
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:30:56 PM by JORIS »

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #666 on: July 18, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
Was just reading this and it seems relevant:

Facility: Good/Bad Trev

Another way to influence Trev is with a quickpause. Same idea as with Aztec really, where quickpauses affects the guards' motions, helping glass odds. On Facility, if you do one or two quickpauses while opening the door, you'll see that Trev will move away from 007C almost 100% of the time.

Your Nat seems like a case of the same thing, but I don't know if anything more specific is understood about how it affects guards though.

Lark

• Español learner
    • Lark
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #667 on: July 25, 2018, 11:45:00 AM »
?
Embrace the grind.

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #668 on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
clearly the two missed shots on the lock lured him off, nice

Joris

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #669 on: July 28, 2018, 06:41:13 PM »
This happened a couple minutes ago during a Silo SA run.

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #670 on: July 29, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
Explain?

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #671 on: July 29, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »
sat room patrolling guard interesting cycle, not sure if that's the jp exclusive guard

Alec M.

• TroubleClef92
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
« Reply #672 on: July 29, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
It's troll because he didn't show the death timer lol

Happens

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #673 on: July 29, 2018, 11:15:34 PM »

AZ

• AxZ
    • 2015CommunityContributor
    • 2017SilverStar
« Reply #674 on: July 30, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
That sound glitch has happened to me about 20 times in total

AForgottenEvent

« Reply #675 on: July 31, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
Reloading Intensifies

Wuldntuliktono

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #676 on: July 31, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »
This happened a couple minutes ago during a Silo SA run.
This happened once for mark on stream. If you watch the opening cinema on jap in that room you see him open that door.

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #677 on: August 14, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »

Found this by accident, seems that the code for finding Bond fails gracefully. Not really sure what's going on tbh. Very much doubt Bond can escape without the spawner guards following but I really haven't experiemented, I just found it on emulator on the weekend and reproduced it once on console just now.
Really easy to reproduce (makes a change eh)

First minute is just luring guards.

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #678 on: August 14, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »

Bond has less success hiding this time.
I found this when I was looking at OOK stuff. Not really very useful, it just offers decent odds of a back-boost when leaving the console room.

Your Eliteness

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #679 on: August 14, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
Found this by accident, seems that the code for finding Bond fails gracefully. Not really sure what's going on tbh.

Each level contains a pathing network consisting of nodes and paths which connect them. When a guard wants to go to your location they pick the node closest to you, then run along those paths until they get to that node. This assumes the guard will have direct line of sight to you once they're at your closest node so they'll engage in combat.

In this particular case the closest node is where the guards stop, but there is no line of sight to you (guards can't see "over" obstacles). So it's a pathing error in the level design. You can check the paths using the GE Setup Editor by the way.

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #680 on: August 15, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
Certainly poor coverage of the area by the network isn't helping but I'm still surprised that they freeze.

When a guard wants to go to your location they pick the node closest to you, then run along those paths until they get to that node.

This is certainly how I've seen guards behave when they are unloaded, but when guards are loaded it seems more complicated. Every so often (possibly when their script is executed) they seem to reconsider what route they'll take, and often take shortcuts towards other network nodes, perhaps seeing that there are no objects in the way. This seems pretty reasonable (and leads to the second video), but sometimes they really seem to hug the environment geometry really tightly, more so than the actual network graph does.

Then they also do all sorts of crap like not remotely taking the shortest route (even in terms of the network graph), or going backwards and forwards as they repeatedly change their mind while Bond is stationary. Good examples on S1 can be found by luring Kevin over the right side of the empty hut. Sometimes he'll go right around hugging the tree line, despite the network offering an almost as-the-crow-flies route.

In this particular case the closest node is where the guards stop
They aren't even that close to it? Maybe it knows it's a big map?

Your Eliteness

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #681 on: August 15, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
Certainly poor coverage of the area by the network isn't helping but I'm still surprised that they freeze.

Why are you surprised? The guard is at your closest node and has no line of sight to you. While it's technically possible for Rare to make the game calculate a path for the guard to take which would give him line of sight, this would be computationally expensive and they are better off placing the nodes in a way that there are no blind spots. But in this case there is a blind spot, so the guard just waits until line of sight happens.

Here's the relevant code: https://ryandwyer.gitlab.io/gepd-function-explorer/ge-global-0008.html. It returns to whatever the previous function was, which is probably 0002.

This is certainly how I've seen guards behave when they are unloaded, but when guards are loaded it seems more complicated. Every so often (possibly when their script is executed) they seem to reconsider what route they'll take, and often take shortcuts towards other network nodes, perhaps seeing that there are no objects in the way. This seems pretty reasonable (and leads to the second video), but sometimes they really seem to hug the environment geometry really tightly, more so than the actual network graph does.

Then they also do all sorts of crap like not remotely taking the shortest route (even in terms of the network graph), or going backwards and forwards as they repeatedly change their mind while Bond is stationary. Good examples on S1 can be found by luring Kevin over the right side of the empty hut. Sometimes he'll go right around hugging the tree line, despite the network offering an almost as-the-crow-flies route.

The point of my message isn't about which path they take to get to your closest node, but rather what they do once they're there.

They aren't even that close to it? Maybe it knows it's a big map?

They are fairly close to it. The criteria for being "at the node" would be within a certain range of it, so there's some variance. It could also be that the guard has "seen" you when you're on your way to the door so they go to your seen location, and from there they no longer have line of sight (and your closest node is also their closest node, so they don't know what to do).

Whiteted

• GE
    • PD
« Reply #682 on: August 16, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
I'm surprised because I've been mystified by the complexity of the guard-circling routines for getting guards round doors and other guards (and opening glass/doors for us), and overall wierdness of the things I've mentioned about movement. This seems at odds with no fallback to find Bond, not even an 'aim for the second closest pad', or even just 'look busy' and wander somewhere else lol.

It seems very likely that they coded with the intention of the guard navigating to the nearest node using the network graph, but it's severely bugged, perhaps failing to cope with S1's many loops. It'll be interesting to see what the algorithm actually does :thinking:

« Reply #683 on: August 20, 2018, 03:01:50 PM »
On the topic of guard circling, is there any consistent way to make Trev take a bad line on the Caverns opening? I have found sometimes when I fired a shot, guards reacted, or I made an adjustment to my line, he would circle or juke out of the way. However it seems only about 1/4 runs has a chance to get past the first room regardless due to guard animations, so it may not matter much. I'd love to be able to put a bit more distance between myself and Trev, however.

Another one for Caverns: When playing on Japanese in the objective B area, I've been throwing mines at the corner of the wall at the top of the stairs. When I come back up many seconds later, however, the mines are still there. Is there any way or position to prevent this and get a consistent mine kill? I know the explosions on Japanese are staggered and there are seemingly many due to all the consoles, but I'd love to not see 5,000 Dwaynes at the top of the stairs when I'm on a cooked run with little health. Thanks.

Joris

• GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #684 on: August 28, 2018, 09:02:08 PM »
This happened the 01/07/2018 - Archives 00A - 3 boosts start

Niiro Kitsune

• Have an Arabian night.
    • GE
    • twitch
« Reply #685 on: August 29, 2018, 10:06:21 PM »
Soooo... I knew you could clip through this door in the corner between the wall, but is this a thing???

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #686 on: August 29, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
Soooo... I knew you could clip through this door in the corner between the wall, but is this a thing???

looks like you did just that

SGT RAGEQUIT

• Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud
« Reply #687 on: August 29, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »

If you slow it down, it is 'in the corner between the wall' as expected, so yeah
I always attempt it for funsies when a 16 seems borderline like in:

Guado

• 1080 Champ
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #688 on: September 01, 2018, 07:33:56 PM »
I've been waiting a long time to post these two videos.
Streets - I didn't think guards could kill each other with bullets, figured it was a civilian but they don't use guns.
Frigate - it might be the way I entered the room, but the guard must be investigating those floating doors in the walls instead of staying at his post.

Ugh. Of course. The penalty for joining a game too late - the frigate unloaded guard is already known and used in DLTK.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:41:16 PM by Guado »
Top 400 PD time ranks! Hell yeahhh~

« Reply #689 on: September 01, 2018, 08:39:58 PM »
On Streets guards can kill one another. I think it was meant to be used to kill civilians or possibly Valentin in the crossfire, but I've seen guards drop from friendly fire before. My guess is they wanted to make civilian fails to be a threat casually so they made them deal damage to other npcs in that level.

debrebeuf

• debrebeuf
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #690 on: September 07, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »

weird grenade warp
can physics explain this
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:43:14 PM by debrebeuf »
ps: dont read this ^

debrebeuf

• debrebeuf
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
« Reply #691 on: September 08, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »

i’ve seen joris do this too
ps: dont read this ^

Guado

• 1080 Champ
    • GE
    • PD
« Reply #692 on: September 09, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
I've done it too, just haven't clipped it. The question is, how can we use this to make money cut time (make 15 easier)?
Top 400 PD time ranks! Hell yeahhh~

watertemplefiend

• GE
    • twitch
« Reply #693 on: September 11, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
I was doing runway sa runs this morning. When I died the audio clip for picking up items kept repeating like 6 or 7 times during the oh-ive-died-hense-blood-running-down-eyes sequence. Is this common?

flicker

• Flickerform
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • 2016RankingsDev
    • 2017RankingsDev
« Reply #694 on: September 11, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »

Illu

• Proven Champ 2007
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • my Perfect Dark times page
« Reply #695 on: September 14, 2018, 02:39:37 PM »

Illu

• Proven Champ 2007
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • my Perfect Dark times page
« Reply #696 on: September 14, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »
Karl - the shot from.. nowhere?

https://clips.twitch.tv/SilkyTriumphantDonutCopyThis

edit: ok if you pause you can see trev shoots him in the hut actually, very rare

Thezzanman

• GE
« Reply #697 on: September 16, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »
Had a guard sneeze in the 1st room on one of my many many bad Bunker 1 runs

SGT RAGEQUIT

• Tyler Deel
    • GE
    • PD
    • twitch
    • soundcloud
« Reply #698 on: September 16, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
Had a guard sneeze in the 1st room on one of my many many bad Bunker 1 runs

You might find this Icy writeup interesting: https://forums.the-elite.net/index.php?topic=18518.msg455830#msg455830

It looks like guards have a 5/256 (~1.95%) chance of sneezing